VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beggars Bridge
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
2011/05/25 09:43:03 (permalink)

VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR!

Hi

I do some rudimentary home recording on my PC, using Cakewalk.  The interface I use is an E-MU 0202.

Until recently, I had been using a friend's Joe Meek VC3, mostly for capturing vocals, and it gave me some great results.  I'm unemployed at the moment, but once I'm working again I'm planning to buy one of my own.  In the meantime, another friend has let me borrow his Samson S-Com stereo compressor.

However, the first thing I noticed is that it doesn't provide Phantom Power, so I can't use a condensor mic with it, instead, I've had to use an SM58 stage mic. Even so, the results have been awful - the recordings are peppered with hiss, pops, cracks and rumbles, but it can't just be down to the mic, as it sounds much nicer when I bypass the Samson and go straight into my PC.  It's not a brilliant sound, but the interference isn't present, so I assumed I must have been doing something fundamentally wrong with my settings on the S-Com, as follows:

Threshold set to 0db

Ratio 4:1

Attack 50

Release 50

However, no matter how I adjust these, it seems to make no difference to the sound.

Is it f*cked?

39 Replies Related Threads

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/25 09:55:59 (permalink)
    I am not sure if the Samson can handle a mic signal or if its only for line signals.?!
    lets assume it can handle a microphone:

you need to set the threshold lower than 0dB, as 0dB will actually bypass the compressor.
    -10dB or -20dB will give you enough headroom for the compressor to work.. (you have to keep an eye on the gainreduction though.. I'd go for a gainreduction of 4dB as a starting point)
    So primarily focus on the amount of gainreduction!
    set the Attacktime to 0ms to hear the compression, and back off to 30-40ms.. whatever you like..
    release time is very dependant on the vocals/feel of the song.. I'd go a bit higher than your 50ms..

If you have a good audiointerface you might as well use a software compressor to get the job done.. either during recording with input-echo enabled, or afterwards..
    it might be the better solution, before trying to get the samson to work..
    just dont hit your a/d-converters too hard..
    post edited by Frank Haas - 2011/05/25 09:57:43
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/25 10:08:42 (permalink)
    the VC3 PRO channel manual has a preamp built in. It's a miniature channel strip.
    The Samson is simply a compressor.

A typical hookup is:

Mic > Pre Amp > Compressor.

best regards,
    mike

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/25 10:15:01 (permalink)

I have to set the threshold to almost -40 dB for the gain reduction meter to register 4dB.  If I have it between -10dB and -20dB it doesn't register anything!

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/25 10:16:02 (permalink)
    OK Mike - that seems to make sense.

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/25 12:46:50 (permalink)
    Beggars Bridge:
    "Is it f*cked?"

If it is, you better find the person who did it and discipline him. Those liquids are almost sure to cause a malfunction. Some people have the weirdest needs.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 04:31:49 (permalink)
    Right, I've just had a quick look on the Samson website, and the stereo compressor you're talking about is designed to work at line level only and is NOT suitable for plugging a mic into.

As Mike rightly points out above, the only way you can use this as part of your input chain is to incorporate a mic pre-amp BEFORE the compressor.

HTH

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 18:58:16 (permalink)
    OK, thanks.

Something just occurred to me.  I have CoolEdit Pro software that I already use to manipulate WAV files (cleaning up, equalisation etc), and I know that it has compression facilities.  So, instead of recording through the Samson, couldn't I just record straight onto my PC then do all the compression via CoolEdit?  Would it be adequate?

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 19:35:33 (permalink)
    Yes.

But which version of Cakewalk or SONAR are you running? You probably have a nice compressor to use right in SONAR.

best regards,
    mike

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 19:41:06 (permalink)
    I'm using Sonar 4 Producer Edition.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 19:44:43 (permalink)
    Sonitus Compressor is one of my favorites and it came with Sonar 4 Producer.

Give it a try.

If you have super low latency you can even monitor through it while recording.

Have Fun!!!

best regards,
    mike

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 20:54:07 (permalink)
    OK Mike, thanks again ;)
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/26 22:09:44 (permalink)
    Sometimes, simple is better.

Not using the compressor might not be a bad idea. At least until you get a better handle on recording. When starting out, my advice is to keep it simple. Try to get the best sound possible with simple gear. Add the new stuff (like compressors and other FX) only when you find a need to use it and understand WHY you need to use something.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/27 03:29:18 (permalink)
    Here is a thread you might find useful:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2116921

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/05/27 03:39:01

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/27 05:38:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff, but - if anything - the thread only served to muddy things further for me!  I accept that there can be no right or wrong way to use a compressor, but surely there has to be a starting point for someone like me?

I started messing about with attack, release, ratio, threshold etc, like you advised, but I'm starting to wonder if I've really got the right "ear" for this, as I have to be honest and say that, other than being able to tell the difference between quite extreme settings, I struggle to pick up on the subtle nuances of which people often speak on here. 

For example:

"While the Attack setting is fast the compressor will jump all over the music and literally destroy the front edge of the sound. Slow the attack down slowly so the desired attack transient is achieved. Listen to how even as you start to apply small amounts of attack the music or the transients all come back and start to sound good again."

I honestly struggled to hear these changes! (I have reasonably decent hi-fi speakers, too).

However, before people start telling me not to bother with compression, I'd still like to know how I can get a more even sound to my music.  Surely, not having an ear for the extremely subtle nuances mentioned shouldn't preclude me from using it?!!

How about some approximate suggestions, from which I can then deviate until I learn to pick up on the changes?  Here are the sounds I am working with mostly:

Acoustic guitar

Electric bass guitar

Banjo

Mandolin

Whistle

Vocals

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/27 08:47:12 (permalink)
    Beggars,
     Let me assure you that actually learning how to listen to compressor is probably the hardest task to learn in audio production.

One reason it is so difficult is that often times you are thinking about one set of concerns while working with material that isn't very applicable.

A compressor can destroy the transients on drums and it's easy to hear... it's a whole lot harder to hear the transients on the vocals of a slow ballad so if you are thinking about details like that while working on material that isn't suitable it will take a long time to rack up enough experience.

Here's a vocal tip.

Put 2 instances of the Sonnitus compressor on your vocal track. Use two presets to get started.

Try the 1176 on the first one and the LA2A on the second.

Set the 1176 up for really fast response but a very light threshold so it juts grabs the extra wild peaks... use just a little bit of makeup gain.

Now set the LA2A up with an aggressively deep threshold and use lots of makeup gain and you should clearly hear how it squashes the vocals and makes them sound more familiar to a radio listener etc.

Experimenet with that a bit... then swap the order.

Then take a good look at the preset setting for those 2 emulations and figure out their characteristics... and try to get to the point where you have a feel for what happens with the settings when they change. Basically try to get to the point where you don't need the presets any more because the settings have begun to make sense.

Then spend a few years second guessing all your compression choices... and then you will be good to go.

Those two emulations work good on acoustic guitar as well.

Don't use that recipe on drums!!! :-)

You can do it!!!

best regards,
    mike

Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/27 09:49:49 (permalink)
    some good advice here, and I am tempted to repeat what I have written here before..
    again.. the GAINREDUCTION is what you look at.. some people can hear a gainreduction of 0.5dB,.. it takes a lot of time to hear it..
    for a start I'd just say work with a gainreduction of around 4dB. That should/has to be sufficient for all your instruments.. unless they jump all over the place volume-wise.
    Use an attack time of 0ms (or the lowest you can adjust), and a release time of ~200ms. Ratio of 4:1.
    That's not an ideal setting.. and there's no setting that works for everything, but it's a setting to get used to compression.. try it for a week or so.. and then start the fine-tuning!
    Just to add something new and probably even more important: EQ, complementary EQ !!!
    Before compressing anything you should place a highpassfilter on all your sources except for kick and bass.. set it to 200Hz.
    Now you'll feed the compressor with a more usefull and cleaner audiosignal.. the compressor can work more efficient.
    Again,.. the 200Hz are not an absolute value.. use it for a couple of days, turn back the highpassfilter a bit when you think that too much of your signal is lost.
    EQing and compressing are the most fundamental and difficult topics (besides Reverb). You really need to figure out everything in very small steps, don't expect it to work within a few hours!
    post edited by Frank Haas - 2011/05/27 09:51:16
    Jeff Evans
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/28 20:10:07 (permalink)
    Hi Mark  thanks for checking out the thread I mentioned. Most of the confusion is in many of the posts that come after my first post. My first post gives an explaination of how to set up a compressors parameters correctly. (And in the correct order) It is a much more true account of how to do it. Many people on the forums don't listen or actually read what it is that is being said. They have their I don't do it that way so therefore it must be wrong and I am not going to try any other approach. Which is sad because many I am sure have not got a clue to how to set up a compressor correctly. (eg the fiddle around with all the knobs approach and hope it does something good)

But your comments Mark do bring up some issues and that is maybe that my initial approach is a bit compex in that it assumes you already have some understanding of what the parameters do in setting up a compressor. What you are saying is you are still trying to hear some of things I mentioned which I just assume to be quite clear but maybe they are not for some.

I will have a think about coming up with an approach that makes it easier and approaches the more simpler aspects of a compressor which is about levelling out volume and dynamics variations to create that more even sound.

But a good start might be first practice using the compressor over a single individual track. Music is a much more complex signal compared to just a bass for example. Try an attack of say 10 ms, Release of 200 or 300 ms or so and start with a ratio of say 2 or 3: 1 Now start with your threshold control set high so the compressor is not doing anything. Lower it slowly and observe the Gain Reduction indicator. Keep lowering the threshold until the GR is showing a certain amount of GR eg 3 db to start with. The key here is listen to what is going on at the same time. Try lowering the threshold a lot so the compressor is really working on the track. Once again listen and see how it effecting the sound. Try higher ratios with this approach too and see how they also effect the sound.

Don't forget that compressors by their very nature will always be attenuating the signal so use of the makeup gain control is essential to get the compressed signal level back up to the uncompressed signal level.

This might be getting complex but here is another thread I started about actually removing the music and only hearing sound when the compressor actually does anything. (for setting up purposes only of course!) I am surprised that no one has really caught on (or unwilling) with this approach. It is quite amazing and very revealing actually.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2282782

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/30 21:41:42 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff!

I'll give that a go.  

As a general question - is it less damaging to the sound to simply reduce individual peaks, rather than compress a whole wavefile, which feels somewhat indiscriminate to me? 

Manually reducing the amplitude of any peaks that stand out higher than the norm in a wavefile is something that I spend quite a lot of time painstakingly doing.  Is this a worthwhile exercise, or am I wasting my time?  If manually reducing the amplitude of the bigger peaks to bring them more in line with the others is indeed a less harmful way to go about evening up my sound levels, then I'll glady keep doing it in order to get a nice sound, as some of the compression I've been experimenting with has left acoustic instruments sounding really processed and artificial.

If compression is just a matter of evening out troughs and peaks to keep volume levels more consistent, then I'd probably rather keep doing it manually if it causes less damage to the sound.  Or am I missing out on other benefits of using compression?  Having been experimenting with it on mostly acoustic instruments, I get the feeling that it must be much more useful on instruments like electric guitars, which don't create a "natural" sound, and rely on electronic processing by their very nature.
    Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/30 22:16:08 (permalink)
    Hmmm...

Just tried to play about with the Sonitus compressor.  I haven't used it before, as I usually use CoolEdit Pro to work on individual wavefiles, but I had one or two problems:

The audition only lasts a couple of seconds!  How can I get it to play longer?

Also - during the short time that it was playing, there was no activity in the level meters.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/31 04:37:44 (permalink)
    Just insert it on a single track, bass for instance, solo the track and start tweaking the settings.

As Jeff says, start off with the threshold at its highest level so that it's not actually compressing, then gradually lower it, adjusting the make up gain at the same time so that the overall volume is the same in bypass mode.

Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jeff Evans
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/31 06:00:15 (permalink)
    Mark I am definitely a fan of opening every track of a multi track session in a separate editor such as Adobe Audition etc. Especially on tracks that do have a few silly peaks that stand out too much. It is better in my opinion to bring them down to match the overall level of the track and perhaps add a db or two to the whole track then bringing the whole thing up a bit.

Just parking a compressor over a track to control a few silly out of control peaks is adding the effect of that and sound etc to the overall track. The compressor might catch the peaks but it might effect the rest too.

I like limiting the peak to the average level of the track rather than subtract gain from the peaky area as well. It sounds more natural. Then you can park a compressor doing a much lighter overall compression on the track and it will all sound better. Lower ratios tend to make the sound bigger but not quite as well contained. But if you have levelled out the track already then you can get the bigger sound happening and it will be nicely contained as well.

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/31 13:36:17 (permalink)
    Ok, maybe I'm a little confused, but it you set up a compressor correctly, shouldn't it ONLY affect the few high peaks that you want it to?  In other words, only signals that exceed the threshold should be attenuated by the ratio you choose, no?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/31 14:05:36 (permalink)
    Yes, I believe so.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/05/31 18:48:53 (permalink)
    Hi craigb Yes it could be seen as confusing. I see two different applications here in the use of a compressor. One is set with the threshold (and high ratio eg limiting) higher and might be set to catch say 3 unusually high peaks.  This is what I am saying can be avoided. In order for a compressor to effectively do this it has to be set with a very fast attack and high ratio. Although the threshold is high it will still effect the music here and there at times because the levels of the music may get close to that threshold.

So some pre edting will remove this need. Even if it is for the sake of preserving CPU resources. In this instance, an simple edit in an editing program can fix a few things and get the track ready for the second approach below. It might also involve bringing up the rms level also so you have got a better signal level going into your compressor.

The second approach is when the compressor is using a lower ratio and the threshold is set so it is riding the signal a bit more consistently and you are getting a regular gain reduction happening of say -3db or so. So here we are using the compressor much more so (as intended) and its effect can be desirable.

If you find yourself using a compressor set with fast attacks, high ratios and thresholds in order to catch peaks then maybe consider editing the track instead. It will sound better in the long run.  Compressors always sound better with slower attacks and lower ratios and in the middle of its working gain reduction range.

People say get the source right for a recording and that means getting instruments to sound great in the room before you start. This approach also applies to mixing. In this case the source applies to well prepared trackes prior to a mix. Do the editing first before you mix and you only need half as many plugins and things will sound better as a result.

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/06/01 09:30:51 (permalink)
    OK fellers.  After a few days of having my head immersed in the intensive world of learning about compression by trial-and-error, I've pretty much got to a level of knowledge that should be good enough to meet my needs.

I've decided not to compress individual tracks, as the evening out of volume is generally outweighed by the artificial sound which comes into play (apart from maybe the bass, as it seems to deal with uneven levels without making much difference to the sound), and I will to continue to get rid of level peaks manually.

However, after lots of experimenting and hours and hours of comparisons, I will be adding some fairly soft compression to the overall mix; I did actually settle on a CoolEdit preset in the end (RealAudio compander - with 3.8:1 above -9dB, 1.1:1 below -9dB and 2:1 expansion below -40dB), but I didn't chose it just because it was a preset, but because these settings just sounded the best out of the many I tried.  I will be using it as my default compression for my ensemble of largely acoustic instruments from now on, although - of course - I will still have the option to deviate and tweak away from it if required.

Thanks for the help!

Bristol_Jonesey
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/06/01 12:14:04 (permalink)
    Applying compression to individual tracks CAN be totally transparent, depending on how you've set the compressor up.

They don't always colour the sound unless that's what you're deliberately going for.

I find the Sonitus is quite forgiving in that respect and turn to other plugs when I want a bit more character.

Jeff Evans
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/06/01 17:17:31 (permalink)
    Hi Mark. I agree with Bristol here too. I was not tryng to convey the idea the individual compression on tracks is not a good thing. I was only saying that using compressors set for limiters to catch out of control peaks is better handled with editing.

As Bristol  says very transparent compression is possible on individual tracks. Many instruments will benefit from it eg bass for example. (just use lower ratios and simply bring the threshold down for small amounts of gain reduction eg 3 to 4 db.)  Keep an eye on the Attack settings so you are not killing transients. It is too fast attack settings that get compressors to jump too fast over the music (or tracks) and ruin it. (if you read my explaination of setting up compressors in that thread it the Attack that is set first)

You say you find it hard to hear sometimes what compressors are doing to the sound. Experiment with the Attack setting. It is one of the most powerful of all the compressor parameters. It is the one that destroys the music first. Listen to the leading edge of the sound or the attack transient while you play with the Attack. When it is too fast the leading edge of the sound will quickly be destroyed. But slow it down and the attack transients come back fast.

With regard to using overall compression on your mix be careful of presets. Presets have no idea about the material your are presenting and also they do not know anything about the average level that might be present in a signal so they don't work that well. You will always have to tweak a preset anyway.

For overall compression try a much lower ratio eg 1.3:1 and set the Attack for 10 to 15 ms or so. This will allow transients to poke through. Then simply lower the threshold slowly for 2 to 3 db of gain reduction. Then it will sound very transparent on your mix and add just a little glue to start the process of bringing it all together. You may need to fine tune the Release parameter to suit the rhythm of the music. When you are compressing over the whole mix, this is a good time to visit the concepts I have mentioned here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2282782

This is the null checking approach to compression. By removing the music, the action of the compressor becomes very apparent. Incorrect or poor attack and release settings (but also other parameters too of course) create jerky responses out of silence as the sounds ramps up and also as it ramps down to silence again. Fine tuning these parameters can improve the way the music comes in and goes away. You are only hearing these movements out from silence hence they are so clear. Then when you switch the null off and back to normal it will sound more musical.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/06/02 01:55:10

Beggars Bridge
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/06/03 21:04:16 (permalink)
    Jeeez.... just when I think I've made progress it all comes tumbling down again!

Firstly, I need to know what you mean by "transients", cos I'm not really sure.

I just did some playing around with the attack setting: I had an acoustic guitar track and I applied 5:1 compression above -12dB, then set the attack nice and low, at 5ms. Then I kept increasing it, faster and faster and faster, but I couldn't hear any bloody difference!  (I daren't even tell you how high I took it without hearing a change, cos you'll all think I'm some kind of freak with no ears).

I'm going away to trash my gear now.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:VERY BASIC HELP REQUIRED ABOUT USING A COMPRESSOR! 2011/06/03 21:30:15 (permalink)
    Well the transients I speak of are the very first part of any sound. If you pluck an acoustic guitar string (with a pick) it is the crisper pluck part of the sound right at the start not the rest of the sound. In the case of a drum a snare has a very high and fast attack transient but not much else. A cello playing a long slow note however will have no attack transient to speak of.  A tubular bell being hit with a hammer has a fast attack transient followed by a lot of sustain.

With your attack setting I see some confusion there. You say you set the attack to 5ms and started increasing. If you are turning the attack control clockwise from there you are in fact slowing down the attack part of the compressor. You will not notice anything. But it is the lower attack settings (eg anti clockwise setting) that get faster. What happens to the sound when you set the attack to its lowest value eg fastest response eg fully anticlockwise usually. Have a listen there and you should hear the compressor destroying that attack part of the sound.  So compressor attack settings as low as 1 ms or under are going to jump over the attack transients very quickly.  (unless you have one of these dumb compressors that show attack getting faster in a clockwise direction, is that the case? It is not normal)

When a compressor is working it is firstly deciding wether a signal has reached the threshold that you have set or not. So higher thresholds mean that most of the music will slip under without being touched. A lower threshold means the music is touching and going over it more often.

OK once the threshold is met then the compressor will do its thing but it waits first for a certain time before it jumps over on the signal. This waiting is the attack setting. So if your attack is set to its fastest setting then (ie fully anti clockwise) then it does not wait at all and will jump onto the attack transient part of the signal as fast as it can. Compressors are seriously fast and can jump onto even the fastest of attack type sounds eg a snare. That lovely sharp crack right at the start will turn into a soggy woosh instead. (being a drummer for many years (40) has put me in front of one of the best sounding snare drums in the world eg Sonor.) So I really notice when compressors are jumping too fast over drum sounds because that is not how they sound in real life.

Once the attack time has been waited out then the compressor applies the ratio setting. So if we have a ratio of 4:1 then the compressor will divide the gain change of the input signal by a factor of 4. Lets say our input goes up by say 8 db after that then our output only goes up by 2 db instead. Now once the signal falls below the threshold then the compressor releases the sound (release) This setting is also important as it determines how fast or slow the compressor will ease the signal back to where it was ie under the threshold. This is why the tempo of the music comes into play a bit. If the release setting is too slow then the output from the compressor will still be a little low and on its way up at a time when another louder part might be wanting to trigger the threshold again.  The idea with release is to aim to get the compressor back to normal before the next louder part of the signal wants to trigger the threshold again. Too fast release settings can cause some strange sounds too. The idea is to aim for slower releases where you can because they are much less noticable.

So let's look at the attack time being waited out before the compressor does its thing. If you have the attack set for say 15 or 20 ms then it means the compressor won't do anything for that time even though the threshold has been well and truely crossed. The signal passes right though. So in a way we can construct attack transients to our liking. That is why when you slow down the attack settings (eg higher attack values) the compressor tends to leave the attack transients of the track or the mix alone much more so and now tends to act on the sustanined part of the sound more. Or it jumps onto the part of the sound which tends to just come after the initial attack transient.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/06/03 22:21:22

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1