Video Tutorials for SONAR X2

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
harpman58
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 84
2012/09/30 10:14:06 (permalink)

Video Tutorials for SONAR X2

Okay, there are 2 video tutorials released for X2 - 1. SONAR X2 Explained and 2. SWA Complete SONAR X2.  I have enough books/videos on SONAR X1 so I don't want a video that is mainly a repeat of X1.  I want specific focus on the INDEPTH features and functionality of X2.  I know the authors will state their cases, so sell me!  5 hours vs 9 hours is irrelevant. Does the 5 hours focus on just X2 VERSUS 4 hours on X2 and 5 hours on X1.  For those of you who purchased, please give me your feedback.

Ciao

Gio Stefani
Sound / Video Engineer
Stefani Entertainment

DAW
Intel i7 4700MQ (Haswell) 2.4 GHz 8 Cores
16 GB DDR3 Memory
1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS/Programs) 
1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (Data/Recordings)
Behringer X18 Digital Mixer
Windows 10 Enterprise x64
SONAR Platinum Lifetime Upgrades

36 Replies Related Threads

synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 10:26:46 (permalink)
    I only just, yesterday in fact, downloaded the SWA Complete Sonar X2 guide. And I have only watched the first two chapters so I have barely scratched the surface of this massive 9hr video.

From what I have seen up to now I think I am right in saying that this product is for someone who may be completely new to Sonar, not just X2 so you will probably have to fast forward to the sections you need help on.

You can download a PDF of the complete chapter list. That list tells you how long each section is, but it does not tell you the start time for each chapter, which would be handy. I think I might remedy myself and put it into a spreadsheet...

Also, from what I have watched up to now, Karl comes over in a most understandable fashion and up to now I have no complaints on the quality of the product.

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    harpman58
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 10:38:04 (permalink)
    Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.  I did purchase SONAR X1 explained by Groove 3 and it was OK.  I have downloaded the PDF already and looked through it.  Can you tell me if Karl covers "Take lanes" and what chapter that is in.  I'm not totally against refreshing on features and functionality that I rarely used in X1 and may use in X2.  I was a technical writer & instructor for many years and wrote custom course curriculum for Intel.  To me it's all about content and how it's conveyed to the reader (student).  Retention, right?  If you state that Karl explains things in a more understandable fashion, then I'm going to lean in that direction.  I saw his video on Matrix view (something I'm going to start using) and it was quite detailed.

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    leapinlizard
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 10:43:46 (permalink)
    I purchased the Groove3 video and have watched it, and it is also largely geared toward the first-time Sonar user.  It does cover numerous aspects of X2, like take lanes and some of the new control panel clusters, but a lot of it is a repeat of the functionality presented in the X1 video.  You might be better off watching Brandon and Seth's X2 presentation on YouTube ... not to say that you won't get anything out of the Groove3 video, but you will have to skip over a lot of what you have already learned to get to the juicy stuff.

On the other hand, for those who don't have the X1 videos from Groove3, this new X2 video is well worth having, as it will not only get you up and running, but will take you a long way toward knowing what you are doing vs. floundering and trying to read manuals.  Personally, I would buy both, as that way you are also supporting one of our own forum members as well, and you haven't laid out much cash.

"Surf music will never die." -- LeapinLizard, 1963
    "We may never hear surf music again." -- Jimi Hendrix, 1967. 
    synkrotron
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 10:52:36 (permalink)
    Hi Gio,

I've scoured through the chapter list and I cannot see any mention of Take Lanes as such. I can only assume that the subject must be covered within another chapter.

We could ask Karl the direct question. Or I would have to watch the complete movie, and I haven't watched anything as long as that since Lord of the Rings...

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    harpman58
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:14:38 (permalink)
    Hey Synkrotron, I did PM Karl to ask that question.  I may need to hold out to see what new videos come along. Hey, at least you can stop the video at a certain point an come back to it.  If it were Lord of the Rings, I would have had to start it all over again

synkrotron

Hi Gio,

I've scoured through the chapter list and I cannot see any mention of Take Lanes as such. I can only assume that the subject must be covered within another chapter.

We could ask Karl the direct question. Or I would have to watch the complete movie, and I haven't watched anything as long as that since Lord of the Rings...

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    synkrotron
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:17:59 (permalink)
    That's good Gio, we'll see what he comes back with.

I think, regardless of the content of the nine hours video, that we could probably do with some more in-depth "advance" tutorials for some of the X2 functions, which I am sure will happen over the coming months.

cheers

andy

harpman58
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:24:36 (permalink)
    I did watch Brandon & Seth's X2 on YT.  It was very good. I might just hold out for new videos to be released.  What I use SONAR for the most is creating promo CD's for our bands.  My girlfriend sings to backing tracks at the smaller venues, so I'm either taking existing cover tracks (multitrack if possible), cleaning them up to make sure her vocals sit in the mix and using them at live gigs or on her promo CD's. So with that being said, I'm really interested in BREVERB, R-Mix and some of the other plugin's for ProChannel.  I use Take Lanes (X1 layers) all the time when she records in the studio.

leapinlizard

I purchased the Groove3 video and have watched it, and it is also largely geared toward the first-time Sonar user.  It does cover numerous aspects of X2, like take lanes and some of the new control panel clusters, but a lot of it is a repeat of the functionality presented in the X1 video.  You might be better off watching Brandon and Seth's X2 presentation on YouTube ... not to say that you won't get anything out of the Groove3 video, but you will have to skip over a lot of what you have already learned to get to the juicy stuff.

On the other hand, for those who don't have the X1 videos from Groove3, this new X2 video is well worth having, as it will not only get you up and running, but will take you a long way toward knowing what you are doing vs. floundering and trying to read manuals.  Personally, I would buy both, as that way you are also supporting one of our own forum members as well, and you haven't laid out much cash.

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:27:02 (permalink)
    When I was approached to author Complete Sonar X2, I had a fairly blank piece of paper on how to do it while working within some fairly loose guidelines.

I approached it as if teaching a new user to recording software how to set X2 up and use the program from scratch. I was also bearing in mind the more common questions and subjects that come up on these boards.

As a result the first videos cover some basic stuff and I move through the program working with all of the various tools. I feel it's important to stress that it is not a tutorial on how to record/edit/mix but a tutorial on how to use X2 to do that. I think there is an important difference between the two.

The nine hours bit was never a goal. My intention was to cover just about every aspect of the program in as much detail as I could, it just turned out to be nine hours long. I also tried to do that in a logical order but inevitably there are some chicken & egg situations.

That's not to say there isn't plenty of material for the more advanced user, I think there is. How successful I have been in achieving my goals and getting that information across in a clear concise way is for those that have seen the video to judge.

I look at take lanes in the following chapters.

Basics-->Exploring the track View Part 3
    Recording-->Audio & MIDI basics
    Editing-->Comping & V-Vocal

To summarize. A completely new user should be able to get started and become very well versed in Sonar using the material in the video without needing great prior computer recording knowledge. It is not a "what's new" in Sonar X2 video but of course does cover the new functions and features. I also cover some parts that I've never seen covered. Writing instrument files and drum maps for example.

If I'm honest it's probably a bit OTT if all you want is info on take lanes. If you want much more than that though I of course recommend it.

If you check out the video on the matrix that will give you an idea of how the various subjects are covered.

There is more detailed PDF of contents available from here

HTH
    harpman58
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:27:30 (permalink)
    I would agree with you on that one.  In the meantime, I will just apply the "school of hard knocks" and dig in to learn it without the video.

Ciao,

synkrotron

That's good Gio, we'll see what he comes back with.

I think, regardless of the content of the nine hours video, that we could probably do with some more in-depth "advance" tutorials for some of the X2 functions, which I am sure will happen over the coming months.

cheers

andy

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    synkrotron
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:35:26 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

Thanks for that Karl.

As a side note, I intend to watch all of the video. I've been using Cakewalk since V3 and it was a simple MIDI sequencer, and I've grown up with it along the way. Like most, I am self taught, so there is always room for improvement and it isn't going to do me any harm going over some old ground, just in case I'm missing something.

cheers

harpman58
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 11:45:19 (permalink)
    Karl,

I did check out your video on the matrix and it was very informative and comprehensive. I don't want to sound like "Take Lanes" is the only think I want out of the video. It's just a feature I use a lot. Years back, I wrote a whole IT curriculum for Intel Corporation with a "fairly blank piece of paper" so I get where you're coming from.  Also, I wasn't looking for a video on how to "record/edit/mix".  There are many books/videos on those topics, but most are subjective. Since I already own "SONAR X1 Explained" by Groove 3, I'm going to purchase your "SWA Complete X2". Your clear and concise approach (as seen in matrix video) is my reasoning for the purchase.  There are some features I haven't or rarely used in X1 that I may need a refresher on.  To me, it's all about retention and the more "Clear and Concise" it is, the better the retention, eh?  Thanks for your follow-up!

Ciao,

G

FastBikerBoy

When I was approached to author Complete Sonar X2, I had a fairly blank piece of paper on how to do it while working within some fairly loose guidelines.

I approached it as if teaching a new user to recording software how to set X2 up and use the program from scratch. I was also bearing in mind the more common questions and subjects that come up on these boards.

As a result the first videos cover some basic stuff and I move through the program working with all of the various tools. I feel it's important to stress that it is not a tutorial on how to record/edit/mix but a tutorial on how to use X2 to do that. I think there is an important difference between the two.

The nine hours bit was never a goal. My intention was to cover just about every aspect of the program in as much detail as I could, it just turned out to be nine hours long. I also tried to do that in a logical order but inevitably there are some chicken & egg situations.

That's not to say there isn't plenty of material for the more advanced user, I think there is. How successful I have been in achieving my goals and getting that information across in a clear concise way is for those that have seen the video to judge.

I look at take lanes in the following chapters.

To summarize. A completely new user should be able to get started and become very well versed in Sonar using the material in the video without needing great prior computer recording knowledge. It is not a "what's new" in Sonar X2 video but of course does cover the new functions and features. I also cover some parts that I've never seen covered. Writing instrument files and drum maps for example.

If I'm honest it's probably a bit OTT if all you want is info on take lanes. If you want much more than that though I of course recommend it.

If you check out the video on the matrix that will give you an idea of how the various subjects are covered.

There is more detailed PDF of contents available from here

HTH

Gio Stefani
    Sound / Video Engineer
    Stefani Entertainment

DAW
    16 GB DDR3 Memory
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 12:13:51 (permalink)
    Hi Gio

Thanks for that. Hopefully you'll enjoy it and get something from it.

Karl

cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/09/30 14:07:32 (permalink)
    Gio,

Groove 3's X2 Explained has chapter entitled "Working with Take Lanes"
    under the "Recording Techniques" sub-heading..

"http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/30/14159949-72-magnitude-earthquake-strikes-colombia?lite

outlook
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 13:13:10 (permalink)
    Any other opinions on these tutorials?
    maximumpower
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 731
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 13:23:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for this thread. I just purchased the SWA video. I really like all of Karl's other videos. I am sure I will get a lot out of this one too.

Win 10 (64 bit), i7-2600k 3.4GHz , 8 GB RAM, SATA III (500GB SSD - System, 2TB WD Black - Data), Sonar Platinum x64, m-audio Profire 610

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 13:37:56 (permalink)
    I have nothing against Groove 3 but Karl is one of our own. It seems to me that it wouldn't hurt anyone that wants a vid on X2 to buy his vid. I just did because I think its important to support our members. Besides 9 hr.s is an awful lot of time he had to put into this. Think of the takes he discarded? And besides the voice is done by a Gecko.

Best
    John
    OQ
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 14:18:38 (permalink)
    I like all FBBs vids and like Eli's too. I recently saw the timeline vid on facebook that Eli went over. i like that one..Had an ah ha moment.- Wish someone went over loop construction view. I ve had some wierd behavior and noticed some changes btwn x1 and x2 functionality and I might be struggling a bit. I m sure it might be in the new packs. waiting for a good deal sale.

6c I7 MB: GA-X58a-UD7, 980x processor: 3.33GHz 12mg cache, 12gig DDR3 4g 1600 mem, 3x WD 2TB sata HDD 64 meg cache. windows 7 ultimate. nVidia 210 video card. USB3,FW,PCI,PCIe,eSATA. plextor DVDRW. And hopefully 6 good years of stable use.
    wruess
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 15:15:39 (permalink)
    I can't imagine everyone hasn't already seen it, but just in case.... make sure to watch Brandon & Seth's webinar on X2, which is posted to YouTube. They cover a lot the specific differences/upgrades between X1 and X2. I found it quite useful.
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 15:50:07 (permalink)
    I like the concept of supporting Karl as one of our forum members and 9 hours of material surely covers a host of details. I've been watching the Groove3 videos, many on Sonar from Eli, and have always found them a valuable use of my time. They are concise and very useful.  Even though I had the X1 tutorials I really got a lot out of X2 Explained.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 16:01:16 (permalink)
    Karl 9 hours is poor magic. He  did a  great job. It will be very hard for anyone doing a new video to match his. He is a member of this forum and knows what the users want. Fo the small amount you pay its invaluable.

cowboydan
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 908
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 16:18:44 (permalink)
    There's a new SWA video coming out on the 15th of this month. There is a preview on youtube.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49pPo8kljhk&feature=g-all-c 

If I had to compare the Groove 3 video and the SWA Video as far as being new to Sonar I would have to choose the SWA Video only because FBB goes farther in depth with his explanations then in Groove 3

Danny
    musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 16:52:43 (permalink)
    I had watched Eli's X1 vid before and when I watch the X2 video there seems to be a lot of new learning for me still. The most useful things that I learned are keyboard shortcuts. These are the secret (hidden) weapons of Sonar and can speed up workflow by a mile. Trust me, these info had to be taught or dig out from the manual. I don't think I will ever discover these tricks by the "school of hard knock" (pick this up from this thread) method. Not in 10 years, at least.

I am also 2 hours into FBB's SWA video, looks like a PHD thesis to me! I meant that as a compliment, Karl. I feel like I would be able to turn into a Sonar Jedi when I am through. BTW, when I watch the SWA video, I would opened up 2 word file, one to take notes and the other one write down where I had I reached in the video. Talking about speeding work flow. LOL 
    Marcus Curtis
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 17:23:38 (permalink)
    I have X1 explained and I have X2 explained. I just finished watching X2 explained. In my opinion it is completely different then X1 in a lot of ways. It serves as an introduction to X2 and also goes into all the new features. It does not go into great detail regarding TH2 it does however use the breverb plug in a mix and explains it briefly.

It covers a few entry level things that are not in X1 for example setting up the metronome using a bus. I enjoyed watching it and thought it was well done. Now I am going to purchase and download the SWA video.

I get some good ideas from all of these videos, I also got some great ideas from the Sonar advanced series. I think it is all good. X2 Explained has some great tips and goes through all the keyboard commands. I think it's primary function is to not only serve as an introduction, but to also make the best of your workflow and shows how to do things in a fast and timely manor.

I have learned some good tips from it. Can't wait to dive into the SWA video. For those who make these videos, I am waiting for an advanced tips and tricks video. 

http://www.marcuscurtismusic.com/  

Windows 10 ultimate, Sonar Platinum, AMD Phenom 2 x6 1075T processor 3.00 GHz, (6 cores) 8 gigs of Ram, 

Audio interfaces=VS-100, Pod X3 live pro, Boss GT-100, Boss GP10
    Midi Controllers=Edirol  PCR 800, roland GR-55.    

Ozone 7, Podfarm, Th2 Full Version, Melda, True Pianos Full Version, and a whole bunch of free VST plugins which can be found through my site.

miguelito
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/13 21:45:54 (permalink)
    I have both Eli's (Groove3) and Karl's (SWA) videos. They are both very well done and filled with information.

In my opinion Karl is a quite a bit more in depth and covers a lot of details whereas I felt Eli approached it more as if you already a pretty good handle on DAW recording.

I really loved Eli's video but Karl's had a couple nuggets I had forgotten and some new information that was helpful. Plus Karl has been incredibly generous with his advice and previous videos. Kudos to the both of them.

I tend to scoop up videos and keep them handy...if the groove ain't happenin I can always go educate myself.

Regards,

Mike

A Roseberry racer w/
    Win7 Pro (64) fully loaded
    RME UFX Fireface;
    Sonar X2;
    Guitars and amps. 
    Axon 100 MKII,
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88,
    Komplete 
    All software latest revision

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/14 04:05:32 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and I really do hope that those that have bought it find it useful...

It's definitely aimed at completely new users initially and does get quite in depth. I think Chris (from SWA) called it insanely detailed. Which I think was a compliment. Having said that later in the video it also covers more of the advanced tools again in quite a lot of depth. I've also covered some things that I haven't seen covered much before such as how to write an instrument file and drum map. I also of course had the advantage of knowing the more common problems and questions from my time on these boards so they get in depth attention as well.

I think it's important to stress for anyone thinking of buying it to know that it isn't a tutorial on how to mix/record/etc  but a very detailed explanation of Sonar and the tools it has available to do that. I think there's an important difference.

For those looking for a mixing tutorial there is a video soon to be released by SWA here that is authored by Pippin Henderson of MCI home studio fame.

Thanks to everyone again for the support - I've really got to look into this Gecko character. That's the second or third time I've seen the reference but being a Brit in the UK I have no idea who that is.
    musichoo
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 811
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/15 05:08:40 (permalink)
    Yes, that MCI home studio guy has gotten some attention. I did watch his video.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/17 21:51:26 (permalink)

Best
    John
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/17 22:26:23 (permalink)
    I watched the Mix Clinic "taster" video tonight and was impressed. I'm very much acclimatized to the Lynda.com tutorial video style and quality, so I was pleased to see that this video is up to those standards (because let's face it there are some awful vids out there). In fact if Lynda.com ever get with it and decide to release a series of Sonar videos, they know who to come to!

Btw Karl....I wouldn't worry too much about the Gecko comparisons. Americans tend to make them with any Brit regardless of what they sound like. I'm a Geordie and I've had "here comes Gecko"  and "hey Gecko" and all the rest of it 
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re:Video Tutorials for SONAR X2 2012/10/17 22:28:05 (permalink)
    On second thoughts, I've just watched that Gecko ad and on reflection Karl does sound exactly like the Gecko lizard. 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1