Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Westside Steve
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 794
2014/01/25 09:18:14 (permalink)

Vintage Channel

Hey gang-
Is the Vintage Channel missing in X3 or am I stupid or both?
cheers

WSS
garrigus
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8599
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 09:25:34 (permalink)
Vintage Channel was removed in X3, along with a number of other things like R-Mix, V-Vocal, Cakewalk Analyst, etc.

You're not stupid, Steve.

Scott

--
Scott R. Garrigus - http://garrigus.com - SONAR X2 Power! - http://garrigus.com/?SonarX2Power
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
* Author of the Cakewalk Sonar ProAudioTutor video tutorial series: http://garrigus.com/?ProAudioTutor
* Publisher of the DigiFreq free music technology newsletter: http://digifreq.com/?DigiFreq
* Publisher of the NewTechReview free consumer technology newsletter: http://newtechreview.com/?NewTechReview
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 09:28:02 (permalink)
Craig was saying that some of the older missing plugs are available on the X3 installation if you use the custom install feature to retrieve them. However I may have misunderstood.

It will still be retrievable by doing a custom install of the earlier releases that contained it. They left it out because it is 32bit and I guess they were trying to cut down on conflicts.
Westside Steve
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 13:06:43 (permalink)
Thank you gentlemen! Well I still have x2 producer sealed in its box. I guess I don't really need the vintage Channel what with all the other stuff that's in there, just curious. I wonder does anyone think R Mix would be worth the effort to custom install? I never did like V vocal...
WSS
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 13:12:55 (permalink)
I think R-mix is worth it.  basic install of X2 does not take up that much space.  V-vocal is even worth keeping if you have not upgraded to Melodyne Editor. Essential is superior to V-vocal in most ways but V-vocal does have a few tricks not available in the Essential version of Melodyne.  I think the channel strip that comes with the blue tube bundle is an adequate replacement for VC but does not sound quite the same.
Beepster
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 13:25:33 (permalink)
Vintage Channel is an extremely unique plug in due to the crazy routing section and various other stuff. There are quite a few things it can do that the new plugs cannot. Craig has mentioned this and some of the things he does in the X1 Advanced vids aren't really possible with the new stuff or at least not without some very elaborate setup. If you have X1 unboxed it came with that as well or you could just redownload whatever version you need to access it from your account (if it's not there because you bought a retail copy I think support will send you download links). Also you could see if it is included in the custom install section of X3 as I mentioned earlier.

As far as R-Mix I think that is a very useful plug and definitely worth installing. It's one of the main reasons I bought X2. Unless of course you have a fancier plug like Izotope RX or something but even then I don't think even that has the creative possibilities in R-Mix via automating the square/circle thingie/faders.
markyzno
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1216
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 14:46:48 (permalink)
Rmix is great for removing bleed from live recordings, for me its been a god send on removing unwanted noise on room mic recordings of multi tracked Live drums.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

dubdisciple
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 15:03:58 (permalink)
markyzno
Rmix is great for removing bleed from live recordings, for me its been a god send on removing unwanted noise on room mic recordings of multi tracked Live drums.

Pretty much the same purposes I use it for.  As stated , it's not in the class of RX3 but I have come to rely on it since I often have to record sound in less than desirable areas
Westside Steve
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 15:10:25 (permalink)
Hmmm. Can R Mix isolate remove and paste by itself say a vocal line from a stereo mix for processing alone?
Is it similar to the Sony plug called spectral something or other? I have SF pro but did not purchase the spectral thing when they offered it.

Thanks!

(And I do have Melodyne editor even though its a little hinky......)
WSS
Beepster
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 15:36:19 (permalink)
markyzno

Indeed. Snag what you want, scrap the rest. It's a lot easier when you can actually SEE the bad noise vs the good noise as opposed to endless fiddling around with (traditional) EQs, gates and comps.
Beepster
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/01/25 15:39:15 (permalink)
Westside Steve
Hmmm. Can R Mix isolate remove and paste by itself say a vocal line from a stereo mix for processing alone?
Is it similar to the Sony plug called spectral something or other? I have SF pro but did not purchase the spectral thing when they offered it.

Thanks!

(And I do have Melodyne editor even though its a little hinky......)
WSS

You can achieve a certain amount of isolation of parts depending on the mix (really thick mix with lots of stuff in the freq range of isn't gonna work as well as a sparse mix where the other instruments are higher/lower than the thing you want to isolate). You may lose some of the overtones as well. So it's not perfect but nothing really is when trying to yank stuff out of a stereo mix.
RobbSadler
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 15:21:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ravi8962 2015/08/10 16:46:13
Ok, Cakewalk. Last straw - I have been faithful for many years - I had cakewalk back before it could record audio tracks - but I hate to bring up an old mix (ok, this one I am working on is a whole 3 years old) and have to do handstands to get the plugins back if at all. I loved and used Vintage Channel on all sorts of tracks.

Reason doesn't master as well as you do, but they also don't take things out of their product after it has been added. You have been doing this for years - you should at least let us know what will be supported in the future and what you will yank out indiscriminately.

Sorry, I'm done. I upgraded for nothing.
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 16:31:42 (permalink)
RobbSadler
Ok, Cakewalk. Last straw - I have been faithful for many years - I had cakewalk back before it could record audio tracks - but I hate to bring up an old mix (ok, this one I am working on is a whole 3 years old) and have to do handstands to get the plugins back if at all. I loved and used Vintage Channel on all sorts of tracks.

Reason doesn't master as well as you do, but they also don't take things out of their product after it has been added. You have been doing this for years - you should at least let us know what will be supported in the future and what you will yank out indiscriminately.

Sorry, I'm done. I upgraded for nothing.

Cakewalk would like nothing better than include a 64-bit a version of the Vintage Channel. However, they don't own the rights to modify the code nor do they own the IP, and the original developer is literally nowhere to be found. Cakewalk, I, and several other people have tried to locate him, but to no avail.

If you do an "advanced" custom install from any version of Sonar that included the Vintage Channel, which you must have or you wouldn't have used it in your projects, you can use it in X3. If a previous version of Sonar remains on your hard drive that had the VC-64 installed, it will still be available. I still use it and it doesn't crash the system or anything. However, I am resigned to the fact that one day, some system or program change will make it unusable unless the original developer turns up and/or Cakewalk can get the rights to the code.

Cakewalk is very good about backward compatibility, especially given that some programs dropped any support whatsoever for DirectX or 32-bit plug-ins. BTW - what you said about Reason isn't true. Reason 7 no longer includes Dr. REX.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 16:34:37 (permalink)
Beepster
They left it out because it is 32bit and I guess they were trying to cut down on conflicts.

Just to re-iterate, I believe they left it out primarily because it has no future. The Vintage Channel has become an end-of-life product through no fault of Cakewalk's, other than their not including a line in the licensing that said "If you disappear, the code becomes ours."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 16:35:41 (permalink)
Everything you've purchased you can still install.

I don't see what the big deal is. I'm guessing that they pulled the old plug because it's 32 bit and it isn't scheduled to be upgraded.

I appreciate that you're upset that you can't just open a 3 year old project with a default install of the new version of Sonar. For some software manufacturers, backwards compatibility is a HUGE goal. It was for Microsoft for a long time.

But Cakewalk balances between super users and a huge population of light users. I believe a large part of the Sonar customer base is novice. People who have to learn to use an EQ. That sort of thing. For them, dragging in a plug that requires bit-bridge might be confusing.

Super users can install all their old plugs and toys. There's nothing to stop you.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 17:04:38 (permalink)
You can use the old plugins if you so wish. You can also use the new ones. You can also use the old version of Sonar until your old project is complete. However expecting plugins to be supported forever is unreasonable (sorry) and if you check the specs before you buy you would see it isn't bundled with X3 (however no matter you can still use it).

In my view Cakewalk should be leaving out a lot more old plugins in X4 and go for 64 bit only, but still allow people to use their old plugins they have previously purchased should they wish.

(edited for typo)
post edited by CakeAlexS - 2014/09/01 21:31:03

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 18:15:30 (permalink)
I was one of the folks who tried to track down the VC creator, to no avail.  I spent several HOURS digging through all kinds of stuff on the web, and simply could not locate the individual.

I did get the impression, from some of the content out on the web, that there had been some sort of financial problems, and I speculate that he simply got disgusted with it all and chucked it and went off to be a rodeo clown, or some such other non-VC creating direction in his life.

FABULOUS plugin, but it will never be upgraded, unless the author someday reads our pleas and decides to help us out.  I would CHEERFULLY help him pay his mortgage, should he ever decide to update it to a 64-bit version - OR sell the rights to someone who would.

I believe Cakewalk did the right thing to decide to remove it - it cannot be supported, and it will likely at some point begin to have trouble in a 64-bit environment.

And, as far as old plugins and such go, other than content, the actual SIZE of an older release of Sonar, and the unique plugins it had that are no longer with us, is actually quite small, in today's storage bliss.  I have retained everything back to X1 - and actually still have a 32-bit XP computer with 8.5.3 on it, if I REALLY have to go back for some reason.

When installing a new release, I believe it is not wise to unilaterally uninstall a prior release, as one never knows if there are any show stopper bugs in the new install - sometimes for a few months.  On top of that, they DO indicate things that have been dropped, and when that happens, it cements my decision to retain the older release.

I used to LOVE a freeware synth recreation of the Minimoog and the ARP2600 (minimogueVA and ARP2600VA).  These were, sadly, never updated to 64-bit versions, and the finally began to once in a while cause problems in my 64-bit Sonars.  It was these two 32-bit synths beginning to have trouble that finally got me to move to using ONLY 64-bit 3rd-party plugins, and my systems have been incredibly stable ever since then.

BUT, I do still have them - they live on in an older computer that is running XP Pro in 32-bit, and they continue to work fine there.  

You might be able to run old 32-bit plugins in a 32-bit install of Sonar on a 64-bit platform, but I had experimented with that, using Native Instruments PRO-53, and it failed miserably, so I abandoned that quest.

The other thing I normally do is finish any project started on one release of Sonar ON that same release, even if I have also installed a newer Sonar version.  I just have never had trouble with that approach.  Yes, they go to lengths to maintain backward compatibility, (wow, 4 of the letter 'i' in that word), but I try to maintain a clean break with projects, and it just works well for me to do so.

But I have hung onto older releases, so that I could maintain access to plugins that were dropped, and am cheered by them being there for older projects, in case I need them.

My motto is: "Saving it for someday", and it has served me well.

Bob Bone

post edited by robert_e_bone - 2014/09/01 19:57:44

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Sidroe
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1954
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 19:33:41 (permalink)
I hated to lose Vsampler! I made huge custom librarys with that thing that are just gone in a puff of smoke. I agree that if a developer stops developing the code should be surrendered to Cake so we all don't get left out in the cold. It was quite a long wait to get everything in to 64 bit for me but I finally made it. Some good plugs and librarys got left behind though.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
robert_e_bone
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 20:14:18 (permalink)
I understand - I have lost many things over the years, as well, including stuff where I had accumulated large libraries.

I DO try to retain stuff, when I know it is going to go away - this is why I have kept 1 computer that runs 32-bit XP Pro, and 8.5.3, as there are things that run there and only there.

I don't know how the arrangements are between Cakewalk and the companies that they get software to bundle into Sonar are made.  It looks like there is no guarantee of any kind of 'forever' arrangement, such as if the developer quits developing a particular component.  That is likely some kind of dark and murky legal stuff.

The 32-bit to 64-bit change was a HUGE deal, and there was a lot of fallout in that shift.  I had a large number of freeware 32-bit synths and effects that I just cannot use any longer - hundreds of them, unless I work on a project that needs them in a 32-bit Sonar.  This could mean going back to an old XP Pro computer.

I made a deliberate choice to just walk away completely from using 32-bit 3rd-party stuff.  It hurt, sometimes a lot, but in the long run, I will benefit from it.  By running all 64-bit 3rd-party components, my X3e is the most stable release I have ever had - neck and neck with my 32-bit 8.5.3 version.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
rebel007
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 926
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/01 20:33:32 (permalink)
I still use Vintage channel from time to time, the routing of effects is hard to achieve using other stand alone VST's. My Sonar setup is still 32 bit and it allows me to use all the old effects right back to 8.5. I even have Pro Audio 9 installed on the same system. Eventually it will be time to upgrade the main music computer to 64 bit but I rarely need the large track counts and high number of effects so it'll get done when I can't get my work done anymore.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
Chregg
Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2382
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 04:11:24 (permalink)
i love the vintage channel, am keeping hold of it !!! that dll is coming to the grave with me
robert_e_bone
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 12:24:59 (permalink)
I too will keep it til it quits.

Bob Bone

Anderton
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 14:10:12 (permalink)
Same here.

dubdisciple
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 14:50:40 (permalink)
Find the developer!!!
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 15:17:16 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Find the developer!!!

It's a re-skinned version of the Kjaerhus Golden Channel.
Unfortunately Kjaerhus is no longer in business (that I know of). 
dubdisciple
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 15:35:23 (permalink)
mikedocy
dubdisciple
Find the developer!!!

It's a re-skinned version of the Kjaerhus Golden Channel.
Unfortunately Kjaerhus is no longer in business (that I know of). 

Thanks. I was aware. The developer vanished without a trace a few years ago and nobody seems to have a clue.
robert_e_bone
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 15:50:53 (permalink)
Yeah - multiple folks have repeatedly searched in vain to try to locate the developer, and if found, this community (if not Cakewalk) would have found a way to help support continued development, or even the possible sale of the base code for it.

A sad mystery, really.

Bob Bone

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 17:14:39 (permalink)
Yah I don't think it a big deal at all. When I do a system rebuild I pretty much install every version of SONAR I own anyway (VSampler anyone?)

The only thing I wish Cake did was make a simple chart that shows which plugins were in which version so I can find them easily when needed.

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
robert_e_bone
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 18:01:44 (permalink)
As each release comes out, you could update a Word document with new/dropped plugins - they usually have a release-specific page with what plugins are included.

Bob Bone

...wicked
Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7360
Re: Vintage Channel 2014/09/02 18:08:23 (permalink)
Booooo, your rational and non-candy-colored chart plan puts all the work on me! 

===========
The Fog People
===========

Intel i7-4790 
16GB RAM
ASUS Z97 
Roland OctaCapture
Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
billions VSTs, some of which work    
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: