Vocal recording questions.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 256
2011/07/17 05:21:18 (permalink)

Vocal recording questions.

Hi, I need some advice regarding vocals.I have quite a deep muddy tone and have to use loads of EQ high pass and top end boost to get my vocals to sit in the mix.
I know it's best to capture the correct sound at source.
My main confusion is I record in my small studio which is well treated for mixing and is quite dead sounding, but the recordings are muddy.
Is this down to my Mic (sE Electronics sE2200a Condenser Mic ) or the room.
People talk about vocal booths but surely these are dead sounding.
When I've seen Pro's recording vocals they always seem to be in large rooms with wooden floors which seem bright sounding.
How do you get a bright recording without loads of reverb?
I know there's another thread on vocals but didn't want to take over someone else's thread.

Cheers
Steve.

I was faced with a choice at a difficult age
Would I write a book? Or should I take to the stage?
But in the back of my head I heard distant feet
Che Guevara and Debussy to a disco beat

79 Replies Related Threads

Zuma
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 525
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 07:59:10 (permalink)
    How do you sing? Are you able to narrow your voice, ie bring your voice/tone into your upper throat and higher? Or do you mainly sing from your stomach and chest region? As a singer I can tell you it makes a huge difference... it's not always about the room or gear. There are vocal channnel strips like Voxformer that will allow you to narrow and focus the sound but just like with any instrument, the source is the most important part when it comes to a really great take.

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 09:04:20 (permalink)
    Steve, I'd actually like to hear a clip so I can see/hear what you are currently getting. To be honest man, and I'm nothing spectacular at vocals or anything, but I've never had a problem making any mic work in any room. I've read so many issues that people have with mics etc, but have never experienced any myself other than if I use like a pc mic or something. LOL! Even that I was able to get to work quite well when had to years and years ago.

When my band practices in my studio live, SM 57's, EV PL-60's and my singer uses an EV 757. None of those are great mics to record with really...at least for good vocal prints. However, for rehearsal...we record our practices and just about everyone that has heard our little live practices has asked "what the heck mics are you using Danny? It sounds so pro!" When I tell them I'm using whatever crap I have within reach in the studio without going to my mic locker to get the good stuff, they crack up laughing. Now I send all the mics into a console, so I'm high passing right off the bat and if something is a bit too mid range sounding, I'll cut the mids a bit. But even these crappy mics work well for what I'm doing. Heck, I mic'd up a drum kit a few months ago using the exact same mics I just listed to prove to some dude that you don't NEED a bunch of killer mics and pricey mic pre's to get a good tone. It's how you capture the sound as well as how you eq it after...good compression practices etc and of course, at least a pleasing vocal timbre. One of the guys in my band is the falsetto monster. He's never going to sound like a million bucks no matter what mic I use. A U-87 won't help him...he's just the "topper" on the highs for us...he doesn't need to be dominant, so it's a good mix to blend him in back there.

But for the most part, you really shouldn't have any problems. I'd like to hear what you are getting though...this way I can hear what YOU consider "mud" or "not bright enough". :)

-Danny
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/07/17 09:05:38

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 09:17:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, I don't really sing, it's more talking/singing if you know what I mean.
    I'll try singing from the throat and see if it helps, as I do sing from the chest.
    I really wish I could sing as my mixing and song writing is getting alot better.
    Wish there was a good singing VST, I did try LOLA once from Yamaha which was interesting.
    I'll keep practicing.

Cheers
    Steve.

Zuma
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 09:54:28 (permalink)
    what you're after is to raise the pitch of your voice. When you raise the pitch your voice will come up naturally... whether it sounds good is a whole different matter, lol. My best friend is a phenomenal guitarist but gets infinitely depressed with his vocals. He's always after this or that plug or this or that mic. I keep telling him that's not his problem but he refuses to buy into it. He's got a KSM 32 and thinks stepping down to a Blue Spark with the focus button is gonna solve all his problems... it's not. Practice, practice practice is the only thing that's gonna solve his problem. Humming is a good vocal practice. I do it all the time at work and at home.
    post edited by Zuma - 2011/07/17 09:55:45

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 16:13:21 (permalink)
    Speaking only as an intermediate singer/performer:

Bro: The signal chain must have a dutiful pre-amp.  Everything else revolves around the pre (for me).

Also, practice practice practice ruins my vox, though I'm certain it works for Zuma, Mark Baxter, and others.  I just do my required vocal warm ups (5-10 minutes) and try to stay inspired. 

Albeit, multiple takes will win the day for me, 95% of the time.  Still I'll end up Melodyning the 1st or 2nd take.  With kids, its the 5th or 6th take as I end up injecting my vibe.  They require much melodyne.

Pitch imperfections are my greatest enemy; I always hated "lay lady lay" (Dylan) and developing puberty vocs against perfectly tuned guitars.  Though Dylan was extremely popular back in the day.

Double voxing to make up for pitch imperfections ... not for most of us.

A good sound-interface is usually terrible for me (like my RME ff400 sucks for my vox); a sound interface alone may do in a pinch only ... for 'on-the-road' laptops and backing vocs, IMHO.

A most popular amongst pros may be the Avalon 737 sp (with its vac tube replaceables), with to its side-chain compressor and EQ knobs.  IIRC, Michael Jackson used it.  Its a $2500 expense, IIRC.

Mics are a completely different animal.  But it wouldn't hurt to start out with a good conden$or mic, like the U-87, if you have the cash.  Many vocs sound great with it (like males and boys). 

Later you can add a cheaper AKG condensor for $1000 to give you lush untamed vocal timbres

So a typical introductory signal chain might be the U-87 + Avalon --> a high impedance inlet on any sound card.  You can save the low impedence inlets for those inexpensive but excellent dynamic mics that Danny mentions.

With the mic set to cardioid or hyper-cardioid, a vocal booth may be unnecessary.

HPF my vox above 180Hz and I've enhanced my brightness (preferably enveloped for choruses)
    post edited by Philip - 2011/07/17 16:15:57

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Zuma
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 16:47:36 (permalink)
    Just hum for practice... songs you love. That alone will help strengthen your voice and develope range. That's how I learned to sing and it's not work when you're humming and singing songs you love. If you feel your voice becoming strained then stop and give it rest. Baby steps.

I just stated this because no gear or room is gonna make you a great or even good singer. You either are or you aren't. And if you aren't and you want to be then it's no different than playing guitar, bass, drums, etc. you have to put in the time and effort if you really want to be a good/great singer. To some it comes natural but for most of us it takes a lot of work.

But it doesn't seem like work when you're just belting out songs you love or humming along to the daily grind... in fact it's the opposite of work. Vocal lessons with a professional? No way I could've suffered through that.  Just my 32.2 cents.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 17:21:30 (permalink)
    It's the room.

Bad rooms help sell a lot of expensive microphones, preamps and equalizers.

But when it comes to using acoustical transducers (microphones), 80% of your problems are going to be acoustical in nature, and the remaining 20% are technique. A good engineer in a good room can make a good recording with just about any microphone you toss at him.

If you record in your bedroom, there isn't much you can do about the room acoustics, especially in the low mids. Blankets, mattresses, fiberglass gobos all help with frequencies above 1-2KHz or so. They will make the room sound dead, but none of those things will help you in the 300-800Hz range unless you take the treatments to an extreme that isn't practical in a bedroom studio.

There are things you can do, though. Sing at least 10" back from the mic. Don't turn the mic gain up any higher than you absolutely have to. Experiment with different mic positions - make sure the live side of the mic is pointed away from the nearest wall(s) or corner. Use the HPF if your mic has one. Try omni mode if you have it - it may help or it might make things worse, you have to experiment to find out. If your room has a closet full of coats, open the doors and sing in front of it. If you have a long-enough cable, run it out into a larger room. Become best friends with a good multiband compressor.

Just don't go out and buy a new preamp - or worse, a new mic - thinking it will solve anything.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/17 23:29:45 (permalink)
    As Danny and Bit have said, I'm almost 100% sure the problem is not with your gear. From my experience, your sound is most influenced by the player, then the room, and the final 5% - 10% (which isn't much!) would come down to gear.

I'm willing to bet it's your room - I bet your vocals are sounding 'boxy'? A common problem with small, close-to-cubic home studios. As Bit has suggested, I would run a longer cable out to a different room - I think that's going to be your best bet.

You could go and buy $10k worth of gear - but all that's going to do is make your bad sounding room or performance clearer!

Good luck, and it would be great to hear a sample...

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Philip
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 02:40:49 (permalink)
    With utmost respect to Bit, James, and Danny: Sorry to rock the boat guys, but many novice and intermediate vox artists like myself are extremely inspired by good Pre's. 

I wish someone had shoved the Avalon Pre down my noob throat long before failing with Ethan Winer's clunky vocal booths (though I still try to avoid early reflections).  That was $300 of junk in my noob-hands.

Pre's vs Room Acoustics has always been a battleground amongst home producers, each vainly arguing the benefits of one and belittling the other  -- haha!  Observe home producers trolling against each other on this: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/414247-how-important-good-preamp.html

A good pre has been the single greatest investment I've ever made for my humble vox-centric productions as well as my humble vox.  JMO.  My productions are not that pro-sounding yet ... just intermediate level.

A good pre for me helps in the following:  limits vocal peaks, prevents clipping, dampens/gates out noise, compresses, equalizes, and de-esses, and excites ... all at the crtical source

... great for my novice singers and intermediates: and I now mouse around with clip-gain envelopes a lot less ...

There are many pre's to choose from, I merely recommended a dutiful and popular one.

Pre's do afford 'some' vintage tube or solidstate colorations/saturations at the source.  I've purchased several German and Russian vintage tube$ for my Avalon that probably were of no significance.

As far as mic technique goes, IIRC, I've seen Doug Rogers (co-author of EWQL samplers) sing directly into a bare-mic placed on his computer desk (on a desktop mic stand) -- hahaha! 

Are there really any rules?  I'm glad you guys who sing without a good pre are doing well!  But, a good pre was the best investment for my vocals and recordings.

To each his own I guess.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

jamescollins
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 04:11:37 (permalink)

A good pre for me helps in the following:  limits vocal peaks, prevents clipping, dampens/gates out noise, compresses, equalizes, and de-esses, and excites ... all at the crtical source

Philip, you mentioned the sound source here, which is the point I was trying to make. If there is a problem at the source, then no amount of beautiful gear is going to improve the sound of the recording, because the original problem does not lie with the recording, rather with the sound source itself. Don't get me wrong, I love high end gear and own a lot of it, I'm simply saying that you have to tackle the main problem head-on. To use a crude analogy, if I were grotesquely obese, the best way to improve my appearance would be to lose weight, rather than go and get a top fashion designer to make custom outfits for me.

If his room has an overly boxy sound characteristic to it, then even if he uses a 1073, Fairchild 660, and Dan Lavry converters, guess what? It's still going to sound boxy! 

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 08:24:22 (permalink)
    Expensive mics and pres only do that last 5% (unless you have the cheapest of cheap). If it doesn't sound right by a long shot, changing your gear will do nothing. You hear guys saying "this new mic is AMAZING! It sounds so much better than the other one I have!!!" But, put it into perspective. Sure, it might sound amazing and much better, but the difference in the full scheme of the sound, it might be only 5% of the sound you're hearing. 70% might be the source and 25% the room and techniques. Obviously these numbers are just a very rough ball park, but put it in perspective. When you blind test this kinda thing, the techniques used, room quality and source quality can be often picked up by many different people, but picking which used the better mic or pre-amp, a much smaller amount of people can hear it.

Don't buy more gear. Get the techniques correct first. You'll learn so much more, save money, and get a better result.

As for your issue, it could be a number of things, so probably not really worth commenting on, other than that it's highly unlikely to be your gear, but the source or techniques or room. Or a combination. Your best bet is to post a sample so we can hear which of these it is.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 08:35:54 (permalink)
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo

Hi, .....I have quite a deep muddy tone and have to use loads of EQ high pass and top end boost to get my vocals to sit in the mix.
    ......I record in my small studio which is well treated for mixing and is quite dead sounding, but the recordings are muddy.....

Steve... you have two things here that are affecting the results. One is your voice which you claim is deep and muddy, and the other is the room which you describe as "quite dead sounding".

If the room is dead sounding, make it have some reflective surfaces. The best rooms are a balance between the sound absorbing and sound reflective surfaces. The room needs a "natural" sound..... not dead and not bright to give the best recorded results. Pull down the sound absorbers or maybe it's as simple as opening the curtains and tying them back.

Now, the voice. When someone gets "down" on their voice, I take that with a grain of salt since most people are overly critical of their own voice. Trace Adkins has a deep voice..... I often wish I had just a small percentage of his vocal quality..... but since I don't I have had to learn to sing in the best way I can. Muddiness in a voice  is often a result of poor pronunciation and sloppy habits. A bit of training will easily fix that. Pay attention to how you are singing and enunciating the words.

Picking the proper key for a song is also very important. I have known many singers through the years who played...and sang a song in a certain key.... but for them it was the wrong key and they were scraping the bottom of their vocal range as a result. The singing sounded bad because of that. Simply raising the key a step or two, or three, would have put the song into their optimum vocal range and the muddy sound to the vox would magically disappear.

Just a few things for you to ponder.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 10:21:56 (permalink)
    I don't sing, but my wife does it for me.  And her jazz band has to re-write about half the old standards to accomodate her range.  Like Guitar sez above, the key is the key to get a good vocal sound.  Just as arrangement is the key to getting a good mix.

So record yourself just singing an old favorite and find where it fits your voice.  Then re-key every song to that.  Unless you are a trained opera singer, finding the range that makes it easy to sing is the first thing to do.

As far as the room, it is hard (read expensive) to tune a room to get one flat.  It is a little easier to get one with character.  You can make it better, or just move to another room that sounds better.  As Bit notes, there are probably some overs at certain frequencies that are making your voice sound "boxy."

You can change rooms to see if that one interacts with your voice better.  You can start saving for room treatment or making gobos, etc.  Even a reflex-style can help.  Unless the room is small the singer out to the room from a dead corner usually gives acceptable results.

A mic can help a little, but not change the physics.  A good preamp can really, really help once the room is sorted out, too.  But no matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, you ain't gonna wanna make out with it (well, us normal people anyway).

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 11:43:50 (permalink)
    the good part of having a 'booth', is that you can take the room sound out of it altogether, for total control.

the bad part, means you have to add artificial ambience on mixdown.

of course, the classic recordings had physical devices like huge Plate reverbs and whatnot..

the better quality plugins can emulate this stuff so close, it doesn't matter any more, so you can always add that room sound in the mix.

if you don't have a booth, you get room sound in your take.

and if your room sounds like @ss, so will your take.

at the very least, get a small device like this:

or a variation of it.
    or make one.

that way, you can position the filter, so that the reflections you DO NOT WANT don't get in....
    you can back this against a hard surfaced wall, and get some immediate slapback.

there are just certain reflections that sound bad, this type of thing lets you SPOT those out.

i like the sound of my room, and between my preamp settings and my compressor settings, i can dial the capture in tight, or loose, and i use the sound of my room in my mix.

it's infinitely variable.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 13:45:07 (permalink)
    Have you ever actually seen any objective tests of the Reflexion Filter by a disinterested third party? I haven't found any, although subjective reviews and testimonials abound.

The manufacturer's explanation can be read here. It sounds like a reasonable explanation, especially if you know little about acoustics. But in reality it doesn't matter how many layers of diffusion and absorption you stack up, the effectiveness of any acoustical device is still dependent on its physical dimensions relative to the wavelengths you're trying to treat. No matter how efficient the absorber is, a 1-inch thick barrier is not going to have a measurable effect on frequencies below about 4KHz. In my experience, acoustical issues in vocal recordings are much more problematic below 1KHz.

A university in Shanghai did test it, and SE proudly displays the results. The tests were "independent", meaning SE did not influence the results. It is not known, however, whether SE paid for the tests or if the entire test results have been made public. If they have, I've not been able to find the actual test results online.

The Tongji University test apparently did not actually address the question of whether the filter was effective, only whether it colored the sound. Or at least, that's the only part of the test included on SE's website.

The good news is it appears to not color the sound. That's good to know, that at least it doesn't make anything sound worse. But it begs the question: how can it be completely transparent AND still do what it's supposed to do? That would only be possible if it had completely linear absorption properties.

There has been a public war of words between SE and Ethan Winer, who sells a similar competing product. At least Ethan's marketing material shows actual absorption measurements, which look reasonable with about 12db reduction above 1KHz. The controversy is that Ethan's tests of the SE product show coloration that SE denies exists, and SE claims that the RealTraps product actually has more coloration.

A 12db reduction off the backside of a mic can't hurt, especially when added to the 5 to 20db backside rejection already provided by a typical cardioid pickup pattern. But I am put off by the marketing for these products, which play up voodoo over science.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    batsbrew
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 14:03:15 (permalink)
    i've gotten just as good results from standing in a corner of a room with curtains covering the walls, honestly.

and everybody's room is going to have a 'unique' problem, so bottom line is, you gotta hit it with brute force, or just finesses it a bit.
    this solution here, would be like a 'finesse' situation.

one of the best 'booths' i've heard in a long time?!

LOL

when i did the Kettlefish sessions, we built a temporary booth, on a carpeted floor, against an outside wall (interior side, of course) using 4" thick polystyrene, like you'd use to insulate walls.

cut it from floor to ceiling, and literally pushed it into place (it only had to last for 4 vocal sessions)

absolutely bone-dry dead, doing this during the winter time kept it from getting too stuffy in the box....
    LOL
    post edited by batsbrew - 2011/07/18 14:04:34

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 14:55:56 (permalink)
    I have to say there's some great advice here. I know I don't like the sound of my room I use for mixing It's small and square.
    I have full rolls of insulation from floor to ceiling in each corner and about seven broadband traps plus foam panels on the wall which is why it's so dead sounding.
    When I recorded vocals I was facing a wall and was close to the Mic.
    I will try recording in different positions and rooms, then see which one needs less EQ to fit into my mix.
    I'm using a Focusrite Twin Track Pro as my pre-amp, but don't think this is the issue.
    I also have an Ik multimedia iMic for my Ipad which I got for recording ideas, I suppose this would be handy for recording in different rooms and listening to the differences.

Cheers
    Steve.
    post edited by steve@psbnoe.wanadoo - 2011/07/18 14:59:08

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 16:43:48 (permalink)
    steve@psbnoe.wanadoo

I have to say there's some great advice here. I know I don't like the sound of my room I use for mixing It's small and square.
    I have full rolls of insulation from floor to ceiling in each corner and about seven broadband traps plus foam panels on the wall which is why it's so dead sounding.
    I will try recording in different positions and rooms, then see which one needs less EQ to fit into my mix.
    I'm using a Focusrite Twin Track Pro as my pre-amp, but don't think this is the issue.
    I also have an Ik multimedia iMic for my Ipad which I got for recording ideas, I suppose this would be handy for recording in different rooms and listening to the differences.

Cheers
    Steve.
    Steve,
    PM me and send over a wav of your vocal. I will take a look at adding some plugin magic to perhaps get where you want to go.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 18:16:37 (permalink)
    Steve, facing the wall is one problem.  Getting too close is another.  You are getting reflections back into the mic - and as Bit said most abosorbers only go down so far.  Lower Midrange stuff and below is bouncing back w/ all the high end sucked out.  And you are likely getting more bass from the proximity effect.  Even Barry White had some overtones ;-)

Before blowing a lot of money try singing out into the room.  It sounds like the back corner is well covered, but you can add the quilt too.  Now your voice is going out into the room and some reflections are coming back, off the back wall and into the mic.  It should give a little more air to the sound rather than a dead muffle build up of bass, esp. if your ceiling is bare.  Once the room sound is more acceptable, a good preamp will allow you to back off the mic.  Those pricey tuned rooms in a big studio let the singer back off the mic more, bringing in more air and solving the proximity build up.  That requires a better mic preamp that doesn't bunch up the control and provides lots of gain.  It is a viscious circle of more expensive equipment, but also how it all fits together.  You don't need a great and big room (as others above have posted), but an adequate room.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Philip
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 19:41:25 (permalink)
    +1 AT, Bat, GuitarHacker, and JamesCollins,

I always absorb your serious and thoughtful contributions.  You always help me focus more and more on inspiration without killing myself with little doubts.

Some other inspiring thoughts perhaps (for the op or anyone):

1) Project the vox (loud and more than 10") but remember absorbant material on the near reflective surfaces

2) Use the vocal booths mentioned if they don't hinder your urgent vibe.  (Urgent vibe -- hahaha!)

3) Get urgent with diverse multiple takes and vibes and every syllable, like its your last performance.

4) Always be chanting, humming, vocalizing, and emulating your fav vocalizations as the oracle-singer you and I are.  (oracle-singer hahaha!)

Philip  

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 20:50:27 (permalink)
    this thread is incredible. all this 'advise' on nothing. 
    Descriptions of a sound are far different than THE sound.
    But hey, I'll chime in. compress it with like a 4.05 ratio and lower the threshhold till about 3.5 db gain reduction. Plug in an eq and high pass at about 200 hz., a little bump at 5k, and then melodyne the bageesus out of it. 
    It will be perfect. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

jamescollins
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 21:49:55 (permalink)
    Interesting, Bit. I too was sucked in by marketing hype and bought an SE Reflexion Filter a while back (largely thanks to SOS, who of course are sponsored by SE). I also read on the SE website how their filter did not colour the sound, but this was not so in my case. I found that wherever I positioned the mic in relation to the filter, I could hear weird comb filtering and it just sounded horrible. 

I have to agree with Ethan on this, based on my experience with the SE filter. Perhaps it would be a wonderful thing if the room was really bad to begin with, and rear reflections were a big problem, but my room sounded good before (not too sure why I bought it in the first place!) and the filter certainly made things worse for me.

Obviously a lot of people disagree with me and swear by the contraption, and I am in no way saying they are wrong, simply telling my experiences with it...

Anyway, to the OP, as timidi and others have pointed out, discussion in relation to your problem is kind of pointless until you post a sample :-)

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Music Miscreant
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/18 22:04:54 (permalink)
    I think you've already spotted this relatively simple problem, Steve. 
    You've probably been singing too close to your mic. 

The sE Electronics sE2200a Condenser, like so many others in that price range, is deliberately bright, so the only way you could be suffering from a dull, muddy sound on a cardioid pattern is if you're too close to the diaphragm. Being close to a wall will definitely effect the sound as well (like colouring, combing, ambience, phase) but not to the extent of dulling your voice completely.  

So, like you've already suggested, try different mic positions & distances from the mic, & you should find more clarity. And keep your fingers crossed that the sE Electronics sE2200a Condenser is actually the mic for you & your unique voice.  
    Philip
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 08:04:11 (permalink)
    timidi

this thread is incredible. all this 'advise' on nothing. 
    Descriptions of a sound are far different than THE sound.
    But hey, I'll chime in. compress it with like a 4.05 ratio and lower the threshhold till about 3.5 db gain reduction. Plug in an eq and high pass at about 200 hz., a little bump at 5k, and then melodyne the bageesus out of it. 
    It will be perfect. 

Hahaha!

I'm not sure I know what sound is anymore; not as cut and dry as light, love, the spoken vs. written oracles, and of course the woman given me ...

Philip  

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 14:47:00 (permalink)
    Sorry I am only just able to provide an example, but been away from home (work work work).
    Anyway I don't normally do tracks with singing on as you will hear why shortly, but do like writing songs.
    Unfortunately this is my first one and the example has been treated with melodyne, I deleted the originals.
    There's also the completed track on sound cloud which used these rubbish vocals.
    Anyway here's the link,

http://soundcloud.com/digital-dream-division/vocal-example-output-to

Cheers
    Steve.

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 15:33:09 (permalink)
    Sorry double post. Having trouble with IE9 and this forum.

post edited by steve@psbnoe.wanadoo - 2011/07/19 15:48:02

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 15:42:35 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

steve@psbnoe.wanadoo

Cheers
    Steve.
    Steve,
    PM me and send over a wav of your vocal. I will take a look at adding some plugin magic to perhaps get where you want to go.

Thanks for the very kind offer. I'm doing a new track now and haven't done the vocals yet, if I still can't sort it after all this advice I'll let you know.

Cheers
    Steve.

zippsinc
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 456
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 15:51:55 (permalink)
    Hi There

If considering 'Relexion Filter'/'Portable Vocal Booth' type solutions, be sure to consider Gik Acoustics' 242 panels. They are good quality panels.

http://www.gikacoustics.c...t16200-inc-vat-1-p.asp

A box of 3 panels comes in at £162, whereas 1 'Relexion Filter' is over £200.

The Giks are big enough for simultaneous guitar and vocal performances. I bought 2 x boxes (with accompanying boom stand brackets) and am sorted for all sorts of scenarios - all for £324 + P&P.

The boom brackets are great. If you can imagine your boom mic stand where the boom part represents the horizontal part of a letter 'T', this is where you hang the panels. Easy peasy with height adjustment scope determined by the actual stand you use. I've been using cheapo stands for this duty without any issues.

Stewart

Sonar X1d Producer/Pro Tools 9 - Win7 64bit - i7 930 2.8GHz - 6GB DDR3 RAM - RME MultifaceII - RND Portico 5012 & 5016 - Sytek MPX-4Aii - UAD2 Duo/Solo - MoFET76 - API 2500 - Dbx 160x (x2) - Dbx 166 (old revision) - FMR RNC (x2)
    batsbrew
    Re:Vocal recording questions. 2011/07/19 16:44:08 (permalink)

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1