WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
Jose7822
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10031
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/16 22:46:43 (permalink)
Bbdude,

Yeah, I know what you mean. I believe this was suggested back when Sonar 6 came out with this feature, having a per input manual latency offset that is...it would totally rock. But, like you've said, 13 samples is not bad. You shouldn't experience any phasing issues. If you didn't before, why should you now?

In any case, now you're analog inputs are right on the money, which is better than how it was before, no? .

Take care!
post edited by Jose7822 - 2008/02/16 23:03:50
losguy
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5506
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/17 01:34:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bbdude
I wish there was a way to make this correction on a per-input basis.

We asked for that way back when, but unfortunately, Ron Kuper left CW before it gathered any steam.

I agree 100%. But I would be satisfied with the correction being on a per device basis, since it's very rare that inputs of the same type would have different buffering. (Of course, things like ADAT and S/PDIF on the same unit would need their own settings distinct from analog i/o's, but I think you know what I mean.)

Psalm 30:12
All pure waves converge at the Origin
jim y
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 721
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/17 07:36:54 (permalink)
Re early recordings. I think this is a matter of over-compensation, not a magical time warp effect!

I'm fairly certain that M-audio Delta driver DOES double buffer under WDM/KS, and so might some other WDM drivers that have ASIO support. According to a White Paper I saw many years ago about WDM, with WDM/KS, it is the host that manages the buffer - not the driver. When the WDM driver also supports ASIO, it MUST have a buffer for the ASIO, so you end up with 2 buffers in line with the audio stream - the one in Sonar and the one in the driver. That the buffering is handled by Sonar is proven to me by the fact that it is only under WDM/KS that you have a Latency Slider.

Now, up to and including version .27, the Delta driver would record late by its buffer size with anything other than an ASIO host - due to the hidden double buffering. This was fixed from version .36, but I believe it was only fixed by lying about the buffer size to the host. All well and good until you add reported latency compensation to the host and it gets the buffer size x2. Then you have recordings that are placed Early!

It would be nice if someone from Cakewalk could comment on this. It's surely in their interest for their customers to know that when a Sonar feature apparently misbehaves, it's due to factors outside of their software. Perhaps a Technote could be written?

Perhaps Sonar should have a "ping" tool? You put one or more loopback cables on, tell it which in and out channels to test, it send out an impulse and measures the time delay to the impulse return. Then you have the channel latency profiled.

Jim

Yes, I know it's upside down.
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/17 10:14:03 (permalink)
Interesting as usual Jim.

What you're saying about double-buffering totally explains why some interfaces appear to defeate time. I just learned that, with ASIO drivers, the Fireface reports the latency caused by the oversampling process of the converters as well as the Safety Buffer (Playback side only) latency to the system. I thought that was cool, but it also made me wonder, why do I still have to align audio with a loopback test in Sonar? Shouldn't that be automatic if the drivers are also reporting the extra inherent latency? This could either mean that Sonar is not handling this information properly (incomplete feature?) or that they decided to do it differently for some reason. It seems that Cubase and Nuendo handle this more efficiently from what I've read. It'd be interesting to know how Sonar handles this compared to them.

I like your "ping tool" idea. It would be like having CEntrance built into Sonar. But I would just settle for having separate manual offset boxes for each type of input (Analog, ADAT, SPIDIF). That would at least keep the analog and digital world in sync. Now that I think about it, this calls for a feature request....the more the better. Maybe if we insist enough Cakewalk (by Roland) will incorporate it for us in S8 .

Take care!

Edit: for clarity.
post edited by Jose7822 - 2008/02/17 13:58:58
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/17 10:22:23 (permalink)
Built-in 'ping tool' +1!

Sven

ru
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/17 10:50:20 (permalink)
couldn't we test this by unchecking the asio reported latency box?

GotMetalBoy
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 13:24:34 (permalink)
Jose,

While running your Latency tests on multiple PC's, Sound Cards and Sonar 6/7 PE, I made a mistake and found a Playback Latency bug but found a workaround. I'm not sure if this is a known issue but here is how to reproduce it:

I forgot to delete the SD2 audio and midi track folder and started playback w/ all three tracks playing: 1. Midi 2. SD2 3. "Bounce to Track". I noticed a strange sound and stopped/started playback and the sound got stranger. Stopped/started playback again and the sound got even stranger.

What I found is that when you have an FX or Softsynth anywhere in your project and start playback and then stop/start, the tracks play out of sync. I did some more research and found that the latency is only 1 to 2 samples out of sync but it makes a noticeable difference in the tightness of your recording.

Workaround 1: is to click anywhere in the Time Ruler or on any clip, so the Now Time gets reset or type a time into the Now Time and then start playback.

Workaround 2: go to Options menu - Global... - General Tab - Select: On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker

Workaround 3: Hit F7 every time after stopping playback

Thanks,
Lou
Sonar Platinum 12/01/2015; Line 6 UX2; Focusrite 6i6; MOTU USB MIDI Express XT; Roland TD-20 V-Drums; XLN Addictive Drums 2; Fractal Audio Axe-Fx II; FAMC LF+ Pro+; Mesa Boogie TriAxis, Stereo Simul-Class 2:90; Marshall 1960AV; Yamaha DXR12
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 14:53:23 (permalink)
GotMetalBoy,

For some reason I'm not able to reproduce this on my system. First I went into Options::Global::General Tab to disable "On Stop, Rewind to Now Marker" since it is checked by default. Then, I inserted SD2, selected a program and used the Kick Drum sound as my pulse. Bounced to Track and played everything together, stopping several times by repeatedly pressing the space bar on my computer keyboard. What I heard was the contrary, IOW, the tracks would not be completely aligned at first (had an echoey effect) until after I stopped and re-started playback, then they were in perfect sync. Is this what you're doing or am I doing something wrong?
mark s
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1140
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 15:59:12 (permalink)
Jose:

not really sure how to do the math. Did the test on my Motu 896 hd and came up with 665 samples. (i/o buffer 128) but the problem comes where the offset is under audio /options/ advanced since they want you to input it in ms not samples. And is that plus or minus too?
post edited by mark s - 2008/02/21 16:31:30
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 16:17:50 (permalink)
Mark,

You're confusing the "Timing Offset (msec)" box with the "Manual Offset" box (which is found down lower on the left side of the Audio Options window). You want to use the latter for the sample offset. Take your roundtrip latency of 655 samples, minus the ASIO Reported Latency (???), minus the I/O buffer size of 128 samples. That will give you the number of samples you're gonna input in the Manual Offset box. Be sure to verify the results by doing the other latency test (the one for both ASIO/WDM).

Hope This Helps!
mark s
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 16:22:58 (permalink)
Yes, that's where I was running amok:

asio reported 338 samples of latency So 665-338-2*128comes to 71. Now I'll retest.

Thanks

Retest shows it right on. Others and I had noticed the lag after a number of tracks,...
post edited by mark s - 2008/02/21 16:54:45
donbelisle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 245
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 16:51:51 (permalink)
I have been using Cakewalk software since 1988.
I have been fighting the audio/timing/crakels/dropouts
thru the PC evolutition since then.
I have owned every version of Sonar 1-7
When I 1st. installed Sonar 7.00, things were looking great.
Then the patch updates came along.

I didn`t notice anything negative on patch 7.01,
right after 7.02 then things started acting up.
Not all at once, little by little as I started to add
more audio tracks to my recordings.

Last night, I uninstalled Sonar, all USB to MIDI dvrs.
Then I re installed Sonar 7, (NO PATCHES YET)

I used to use the OPL MIDI interface for the Motif RACK ES
tone editor from Yamaha while running Sonar, but not anymore.
It was a source of major timing errors. (GUI editor).

I also found a newer USB to MIDI interface at Yamaha`s web site,
so I installed it. dvr date: 2/5/08
My M-Audio Delta LT1010 driver is the latest from the web too.

I re-recorded 3 stereo guitars tracks, Audio to MIDI Timing is much better,
I wouldn`t say it perfect, but a far cry better from last week.
(I`ve also done the loop calibration test as recomended on other threads)

What I do hear that I`m concerned about is when mixing down multiple
audio tracks (say 8-12 aud trks) the audio starts to sound distorted.
Even though all the Meters show the nominal green in the SAFE area
including the MASTERS out. (no effects anywhere)
I get great audio when Im soloing several tracks (4-6) at a time,
as soon as I kick in the other 2/3rds, I hear distortion while not
overdriving the channels. Anyone else experience similar issues?
anyone know of a simple tweak?
Thanks
Donny B

mark s
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 16:58:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mark s

Yes, that's where I was running amok:

asio reported 338 samples of latency So 665-338-2*128comes to 71. Now I'll retest.

Thanks

Retest shows it right on. Others and I had noticed the lag after a number of tracks,...

Now I'm confused. When I do this in ASIO everything lines up quite nicely but when I apply the offset in WDM its worse than before, way worse. Take it out and retest and it's the same smaller number (665)

I suppose I'll be in ASIO for a bit
post edited by mark s - 2008/02/21 17:15:27
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 17:27:46 (permalink)
Mark,

First of all, ASIO and WDM are two completely different driver models hence the latency test will show different results on both.

Secondly, Sonar uses ASIO Reported Latency (ASIO drivers only of course) to automatically compensate for most of the driver's latency hence the Manual Offset for it will be much less than what it is for WDM.

Thirdly, different interface companies develope their driver models differently. Some have more efficient ASIO drivers while others have better WDM drivers, it just depends. So you need to test both driver models before deciding which one works best for your system (specially under heavy CPU stress at low latencies). So if you use both driver models you'll need to perform the latency test on both.

Hope This Helps!
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 17:37:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: donbelisle

What I do hear that I`m concerned about is when mixing down multiple
audio tracks (say 8-12 aud trks) the audio starts to sound distorted.
Even though all the Meters show the nominal green in the SAFE area
including the MASTERS out. (no effects anywhere)
I get great audio when Im soloing several tracks (4-6) at a time,
as soon as I kick in the other 2/3rds, I hear distortion while not
overdriving the channels. Anyone else experience similar issues?
anyone know of a simple tweak?
Thanks
Donny B

- How are you recording these tracks? You could be overdriving them before they even go into Sonar by pushing the preamp.

- Are your speakers distorting? Maybe a faulty cable?

- Does your audio interface have a software mixer that might be overloading?

It could be a million things all unrelated to Sonar as it could also be something related to Sonar. All I can tell you for sure is that I'm not hearing distortion (at least not unwanted distortion) on my system.
mark s
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 18:03:07 (permalink)
Understood. but I thought things were closer than that to begin with so I did a total retest in WDM since ASIO was fine. And I had to enter an offset of more than 1400 samples to get things even!

This goes to support my experience that MOTU has suck a$$ windows drivers. I already know they have no respect for supporting people with the platform,....

Guess I'll be in ASIO from here out.
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 18:27:50 (permalink)
Mark,

I see what you mean now. 1400 samples is crazy off.

With the FF400 my ASIO driver offset was of 98 samples and my WDM driver offset was of 143 samples, which is about 1/10th of what you're getting. Definitely stick to ASIO .
evansmalley
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 715
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/21 21:50:34 (permalink)
yes Jim, ping tool! The only logical tool for a very significant issue with Sonar recording!

Internal ping tool should be an integral part of the app.

And ability to store a couple optimized latency and buffer user set-ups- for "user 1 tracking set-up" and "user 1 mix down set-up", with the results of the ping, so with a shortcut keystroke you could easily change overall state, latency-wise, from tracking (shortest possible latency) to editing-playback setting (plenty computing time) setting. Kinda like a repro/sync head switch, only addressing a main latency switch.

ping tool should be an integral part of better latency management in the app. Would be huge for me!

Rock on, Jim.

Ev
mark s
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/22 18:19:04 (permalink)
just to elaborate:

I fired up my old STAduio c-port (the most maligned interface ever) and did the test in both ASIO and WDM

ASIO reports a latency of 64 samples Whereas the MOTU reports 338. Now I can understand that since it is a fire wire compared to a pci card there is a notable difference.

In ASIO the C-port needed an offset of 66 samples, the MOTU 71: not enough to whine about.

In WDM the C-port once again only required 66 samples whereas the MOTU required 1404! (that on top of a 338 offset already)

Yep, I'm in asio from here out,... But I was curious about the same adjustment between ASIO and WDM for the C-port until I membered that ESI developed the driver version I am using for STAudio, and they are the same people who developed ASIO-For-ALL. Must be some of that under the hood here. BTW, ASIO also inverted phase coming out of the C-port (phase button in Sonar took care of that)

And to Eveansmalley: Yes, ping button!
riojazz
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1337
RE: WTF, what's with my timing? 2008/02/22 18:37:16 (permalink)
Does a test for WDM exist that is equivalent to the Centrance latency test utility?

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
MArwood
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1816
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/26 12:01:23 (permalink)
Jose: I appreciate the info on setting up the audio sync properly. Now if I could get the midi to be that accurate, I would be very happy with this part of Sonar. And I already know about ignore Midi time stamps. Does anyone know the things that can be done to the settings to tighten down recording midi to audio? Mine midi to audio uaually records ahead of where it's supposed to be and is very erratic.

Do we need another thread?
Thanks,
Max Arwood
post edited by MArwood - 2008/02/26 12:02:13

"Edited spelling"
New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/26 12:34:39 (permalink)
Does anyone know the things that can be done to the settings to tighten down recording midi to audio? Mine midi to audio uaually records ahead of where it's supposed to be and is very erratic.

Are you talking about rendering MIDI to audio with a soft synth, or driving an external sound module and recording the output? MIDI to soft synth should be pretty good, although the MIDI Jitter thread identified some issues with specific soft synths. MIDI to external sound modules will tend to be produce audio tracks that are late, and slightly more variable due to MIDI delay and jitter issues, but it's usually tolerable or easily compensated. Geting early audio from either a soft synth or an external sound module is a little unusual. Tell us a little more about the circumstances, and the quantitative severity of the discrepancy you are seeing, and we might be able to point you in the right direction to resolve/mitigate it.

Edit:
Do we need another thread?
This might be a good idea, actually.
post edited by brundlefly - 2008/02/26 12:37:10

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
MArwood
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1816
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 04:23:08 (permalink)
I just saw that 15 page midi thread up again. What a read!!! To answer your question, I was testing midi recording with a Roland TD-8 through a emagic Unitor 8. I set up a midi track 2 measures long with 1/8th notes quantized. Outputed midi track to TD8, Recorded audio to track. Most of the time the audio records ahead of where it is supposed to be. I recorded about 6 times and none of the tracks line up. Also each beat is different, on each track. I have played with everything that I could find.

Any help would be appreciated,
Max Arwood

"Edited spelling"
New Tag line so I won't have to keep typing this. I may or may not have edited this yet, but I probably need to.

< Message edited by MArwood -- 3/02/2525 3:45:05 AM >
ericzang
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 04:46:29 (permalink)
Concerning the loop back test, I have the understanding that this directly correlates to usage in a send-return application, in this case the time it takes to go from D-A out and A-D back in. But when recording, we are only doing half of this process - A-D. So are we to divide in half our loopback test result (for a close estimate)?

http://www.ericzang.com
"Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 09:01:10 (permalink)
MArwood,

I wish I could help you there, but I'm totally clueless when it comes to figuring out MIDI timing issues since I don't use MIDI that way. But I think you will get better responses by opening another thread. I'm sure someone will help you figure this out, so good luck man.

Ericzang,

This loopback test correlates to recording audio (overdubs) as much as it does to send/return applications. The reason is because playback of the already recorded material will inherently have the system's latency and DA latency included. Then, when you overdub audio, the same applies the other way around so we must account for both I/O latency. This is why Cakewalk included the Automatic ASIO Latency Compensation feature in Sonar 6, although it seems to need some tweaking still which I'm sure it's due to the way different audio drivers report latency to the app.

Anyways, I hope this makes sense.

Take care!
ericzang
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 19:08:41 (permalink)
Ah I see, thanks Jose!

http://www.ericzang.com
"Night Music of the Rainforest" now available for download
Blackwaters End
  • Total Posts : 179
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 19:42:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MArwood

I just saw that 15 page midi thread up again. What a read!!! To answer your question, I was testing midi recording with a Roland TD-8 through a emagic Unitor 8. I set up a midi track 2 measures long with 1/8th notes quantized. Outputed midi track to TD8, Recorded audio to track. Most of the time the audio records ahead of where it is supposed to be. I recorded about 6 times and none of the tracks line up. Also each beat is different, on each track. I have played with everything that I could find.

Any help would be appreciated,
Max Arwood

Do you have a value entered in the Manual Offset field? I haven't gotten around to messing with the details of MIDI timing yet, having just done the audio loopback and manual offset adjustment documented way back near the beginning of this thread, but it strikes me that in the situation you have here you may want to set your manual offset back to 0...or at least some much smaller number. But perhaps you already tried that...

brundlefly
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 19:54:07 (permalink)
I set up a midi track 2 measures long with 1/8th notes quantized. Outputed midi track to TD8, Recorded audio to track. Most of the time the audio records ahead of where it is supposed to be. I recorded about 6 times and none of the tracks line up. Also each beat is different, on each track. I have played with everything that I could find.

Well, until this thread moves somewhere else:

In my experience, the only way audio ends up earlier than the MIDI driving it is if the audio is coming in from an external sound source and being overcompensated by Sonar's latency setting. So the first thing I would do in your case is disable Reported Latency compensation, zero any manual offset, and repeat your MIDI-driven TD8 test. If you still get external audio coming in ahead of the MIDI driving it, then I don't know what's going on, but I'd be really surprised at that result.

Another thing you should do, if you haven't already, is a simple MIDI loopback test to see how stable your MIDI timing is by itself. As I see it, the irregular timing you are seeing could come from any of four sources: poor MIDI Out timing, poor MIDI response from the TD8, irregular A/D conversion or buffering of the incoming audio, or mishandling of the incoming data by Sonar. The latter three would all tend to result in really audible distortion of recordings, so it seems most likely that you have problem with your MIDI Out clocking.

If the MIDI loopback test comes back pretty clean, the next thing to try would be to add the TD8 to the loop, using its MIDI Thru to return the data, and seeing if the timing of direct-monitored audio from the TD8 sounds as regular during recording as the re-recorded MIDI. If the timing is off at that point, then the TD8 has a MIDI response problem. If the timing is good during recording, but is off in the recorded audio track, then the problem is in the audio buffering/Sonar handling part of the process.

Of course, this assumes that the timing errors are bad enough to be easily audible. You haven't mentioned how far off things are. If we're talking about 1- or 2-millisecond errors, that's going to be harder to nail down.

And finally. I wouldn't rely too heavily on Sonar's placement of transient markers in audio to determine timing accuracy. The only way to be sure is to zoom in the audio and pick out the beginning of transients manually.
post edited by brundlefly - 2008/02/27 19:56:23

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Jose7822
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/27 22:50:59 (permalink)
Brundlefly,

Couldn't he use the Timing Offset (msec) box in Sonar to input the MIDI latency amount once it's found? That's what it is there for AFAIK, to synchronize Audio to MIDI the same way we're doing here with Audio.
brundlefly
RE: WTF, what's with my timing?: SOLVED 2008/02/28 00:27:32 (permalink)
Possibly, but if he has existing audio and MIDI that are both in sync with the time ruler, and new audio is being recorded out of sync with both of them, the offset won't be able to correct that. Also, he's reporting irregular timing, which needs to be understood and addressed separately.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1