Waves GTR or Amplitube 2?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/20 18:26:54 (permalink)
The dude is pretty scarily proficient. I though that the other video on that page G3 Denver, had a little Spinal Tap'ish thing going on, wtih the triple neck guitar :-) Not in the playing of course, which was quite good, but you can't help but think Spinal Tap when you see a triple neck guitar. But it's pretty amazing how he accompanies himself on it by having the other neck in an open tuning.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/20 19:08:59 (permalink)
This must be the worst video on youtube, evah:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dU3H1Um4Ju4

Correction - this is gross to the max, too (ah, first double neck):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jyjxb9m5edI

But they make up for it with this one - hilarious bit about how *all* of their previous drummers died under suspicious circumstances :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fKxbpo433Kk

Don't see the connection with Steve Vai, really. Maybe put up some of their music that corresponds a bit more... no triple necks so far.
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/07/20 19:35:06

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/20 20:10:25 (permalink)
It wasn't double or triple necks per se, but just the 'rock and roll artsy excess' thing, like multi-neck guitars, violin bows, big stage shows, custumes, cucumbers in the pants, and all those types of things in general.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/21 04:13:33 (permalink)
Well the bass sim (Ampeg) is working out quit well so far. I got a good funk tone with only about an hour's worth of fiddling, starting with one of the funk presets. I didn't get a keepable performance tonight because I was too brain fried by the time I got to the point of trying to record something. But I'll get another version of it tomorrow with the new bass and new guitar stuff. I think I'm going to actually be able to get some nice tones out of the Ampeg. Just the bass by itself is nice and warm via the tube pre, and Ampeg has a very simple bleed function to let whatever amount of the original signal get mixed back in with the processed sound. So I'm betting it's going to provide some really nice rich, deep bass type of tones as well. The funk tone sounds better, to me, than the previous one (which was via the POD.) And it required no external EQ to get it, just the Ampeg processing. I did use the Kjaerhus compressor instead of the one built into the amp model I chose, just because Kjaerhus is a more best of breed compressor.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with it so far and feel even more than this was a good move.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
CJaysMusic
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 30423
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/21 05:47:19 (permalink)
Just try both and choose the one YOU like the best.
Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/22 03:18:00 (permalink)
Hee hee, check this one out :-) It's late here so this is a headphones mix, therefore it might be a little bass heavy or light, if I mis-judged things in the headphones, but I think you'll appreciate the difference relative to the previous ones regardless.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/AfroMetalFunk%20Preview%207.wma

I haven't gotten the guitars back on it yet, it's just the drums and the newly reworked bass via the TubePre and Ampeg plug. Since this is the final, final, final hardware configuration, I went back and really worked on the bass and drums this time. I've been 'Flexin my Funk' a good bit since I first started working on this intro to the new piece, so I figured I could increase the Funkification Factor by a couple notches, and it definitely is up a couple notches. The bass sound, I think, is pretty dang smokin, though of course it could end up being completely inappropriate once the other stuff starts going back in. Still, it's a good sign of what can be done with this bass amp sim.

I left a couple more spaces in this one, where some other instruments could throw something into the cracks. So there are a couple of places where it sounds kind of empty with just the bass and drums.

I think piece is going to end up pretty ballsy. But anyway, check it out. I'll go back and work on the guitar again now, and re-tweak the bass once I can crank it up on the monitors. I made sure this time that I have a good slot in the bass frequencies where the guitars should be able to slot in at a fairly medium frequency so that they can be nice and hard but not interfere (knock on wood.)
post edited by droddey - 2007/07/22 13:27:20

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/24 23:24:43 (permalink)
And, finally, with the guitars back, this time through the new setup, via Amplitube. This is the kind of sound I was looking for originally, or very close to it. It's ballsy and hard but clear.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/AfroMetalFunk%20Preview%208.wma

This still isn't perfect, but it's close enough that I'm will to comit to move forward on this setup and feel I can get the sound I want in the end when I take the time to really mix it and have the other bits in place and whatnot. I was most concentrating on the guitars here and the bass got a little short changed in the mix a bit, not as good as in the previous one above. The low end got a little lost on speakers that can't do sub-80's. It sounds very full on the low end in phones, but not so much on the monitors.

So basically what I did for the sound is:

- Instead of trying to get rid of all the mids (as I unusually do), this one is almost all mids. So it has the bit and power, but doesn't get in the way of the bass much, which is mostly all lows and highs.
- As mentioned, playing with some gusto with wide arm swing , hitting just in front of the bridge, to really energize all the strings strongly and evenly, on the middle pickup position.
- Putting a compressor before Amplitube with fairly high compression and a long release, and using the auto-gain to drive the output right up to clipping before going into Amplitube, and then reducing the gain on the amp sim. I used a high gain tube amp and it's own gain wouldn't give that kind of hard, clear distortion, it would give the really grungy high gain distortion. But driving the input hard would give the right type of sound.
- Putting an EQ after it to tweak the EQ beyond the amp tone controls. I pushed up the lows and highs a bit on the amp and then rolled them back off in the EQ. It seemed to help drive the amp sound more than when I tried to remove them in the amp itself.
- And putting the Ferox tape saturation plug after the EQ to get it warmed back up, boosting up the removed lows a bit and rolling off the highs.
- Sending to the darker, longer plate reverb instead of the shorter, brigher one.

So anyway, I guess this is a wee bit of a live evaluation of Amplitube/Ampeg for others to find in the future. I think though that the tube pre was a big part of the equation as well. I don't think it would have been nearly as nice without it.

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Roflcopter
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/30 06:49:42 (permalink)
Yeah, this sounds very OK (on headphones here). I thought it would work out totally different with those mids, hence my suggestion to take it from the top, not make any assumptions based on the old setup. That new tube pre-amp I added here has me doing the same, it's very useful, but completely alters the ballgame. Learned a few things about my V-Amp2 too, together they can generate a heck of unwanted noise, but you can fiddle that out, just by trying out all different settings. I can imagine that noise driving people up the wall, but I guess they didn't play enough with real amps and effectpedals, those can be awfully noisy too at some settings.

droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/30 13:06:49 (permalink)
Yeh, if you crank up the tube pre and use a high gain amp, it will basically amplify every stray electron passing by the strings and you have to gate them pretty heavily. You could probably use it for SETI work. I'm keeping my tube pre relatively light on the gain, so that it gets a bit of tube saturation but just a bit, low enough that it's not putting out any noise itself. I think it helps maybe to use a compression plug before the amp plug so that you aren't depending on the amp for all of the gain, so you can get more oomph out of it without having to crank the gain up so high.

I guess I'll post a link to my little thingie I did yesterday for anyone reading through this later:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/TmpAudio/AlsoPukedZarathustra%20Preview%201.mp3

It's just a one day thing, so it's short and a little rough, but it was just to play with the new toys and see what I could come up with. The results are pretty encouraging. All of those bass and guitar tones are just slight variations on presets, with the usual post-amp processing (EQ, compression, bass maximizer on the bass, tape saturation plug.)

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Roflcopter
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/30 13:55:26 (permalink)
You could probably use it for SETI work.

Your turn to go psychic. Was exactly my thoughts when I was fooling about - this is on max:

http://roflcopter.eu/dump/hyperdistorted.wma

[reuploaded, first was very clipped]
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/07/30 14:08:04

droddey
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/30 14:13:32 (permalink)
That's definitely distorted. That speaker cone is going to need therapy for the rest of its life :-)

Dean Roddey
www.charmedquark.com
Roflcopter
RE: Waves GTR or Amplitube 2? 2007/07/30 20:09:26 (permalink)
That speaker cone is going to need therapy for the rest of its life :-)

Well, my ears do, from time to time. But I'm getting there. Will put up some normal samples as well. Like I said before, I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to settings. I like to go from rhythm to solo by just upping the volume a bit on the guitar alone, and this should be enough, so it's essentially the same sound, only a bit more distinct, and carrying.

[edit] removed sample again.
post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/08/03 03:40:27

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1