Helpful ReplyWhat DAW are you going to now?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Bob Simpson
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
2018/02/21 00:37:45 (permalink)

What DAW are you going to now?

Sonar appears to have gone from arguably one of the better ones to having severe problems. I don't want to go back to PT. What is the next one on your list?

BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 01:29:44 (permalink)
I've spent quite a bit of time trying different DAW software over the last 18 mos.  My short list came down to Studio One and Reaper, with Reaper being my current favorite.  There is always the possibility that SO4 will change things, but I'm pretty much with Reaper.

An important distinction is included plugs/content.  If you need a phat bundle, then Reaper isn't a good choice.  I happen to have a great selection of VST/i, so I don't need the bundle.  YMMV

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 04:15:49 (permalink)
I've fallen in love with Reaper. I used to get a little irritated hearing people rave about it and thought they sounded a bit culty. Having been using it properly for a couple of weeks I now know what everyone's been going on about. It's an absolutely superb DAW and unbelievable at $60. I think many people install it, load it up, and get put off by how it looks without a project up and running. Admittedly, it looks pretty bleak and basic at that point. But once you get some tracks going in it and color them, it actually looks really nice - even with the default theme. By god is this program powerful though. It's so well designed and to be honest is light years ahead of Sonar. Took me a little while to get used to the differences, e.g. no synth rack and a different way of routing stuff, and I'll still be learning it for a long time to come. 

The thing I'm "getting" about Reaper, which I was told a million times before but didn't really appreciate, is how customizable it is. No matter how you like to work, you can tailor the workflow for your tastes. There are so many options and preferences it seems daunting at first, but then you realize you don't have to study all of them. Just adjust stuff for your needs as and when you come across it, and after a while you'll have the DAW of your dreams. Probably wouldn't buy it if I didn't already have a large collection of synths and effects though, because it's a pretty bare bones package. 

I also have Bitwig and that's a totally different beast, more of a sequencer and an instrument than a DAW, and I'm going to be using that for arranging/sound designing. Again it's just amazing what it can do and it's great to experience something that's completely different in design and philosophy than Sonar. I always wanted an Ableton type DAW but never really liked Ableton itself - this is also a DAW of my dreams. 

If Reaper didn't exist I guess I'd go for Studio One. Demoed it a while back and really liked it - very slick and well designed, again much better than Sonar. If money was no object I'd probably buy it as well just to have it around. I can see why so many Sonar users climbed on board. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CBJ
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 06:22:35 (permalink)
Before I get started I will apologize for my opinions & rant here but I mean no harm to anyone because I'm just as shocked as you are with the current situation that Gibson is experiencing. I feel sorry for all the employees & family members associated with such a great company that was such a leader & so instrumental in product development over the years. I'm sure if companies such Guitar Center paid their bill to Gibson for all the Les Pauls & other Gibson guitars hanging on their walls we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, it is what it is, & the future might even allow Gibson to restructure & who knows, maybe Cakewalk will be resurrected once again. In the mean time I'm puzzled by some of the comments I've read on this forum & on the Web regarding Gibson & Cakewalk.

I don't get it! Just because the company no longer exists some of you folks have the need to get on board with something else. Head for the hills, the end is near! We're gonna die! This is good material for a good old fashion 30's Radio Show. Yikes! 

If GM went belly up would you sell your car? What the Hell are some of you smoking? Even though I bought version X1 & X3 I continue to use Sonar version 8.53 due to issues with my limited vision. I've had a Cornea transplant so X3 doesn't have the contrast that I need when I work for 14 to 16 hours a day. Since I can customize the colors I have a very high contrast setup in Version 8.53 that allows me to see everything I need to get my work done. Thank you 8.53!

I've used Cakewalk since 1987 when it was a DOS product to start with & will continue using 8.53 till the day I die. Sure it's got a few quirks but so does every other software that's ever been developed in the world & currently in use & this doesn't apply to the music industry but rather every other code writing group in the World. There is no perfect software! What are these serious problems in X1, X2, X3 that you claim are serious enough to cause you to move on to another DAW? There's very little that's broken in X3!

Keep using what you already have & are used to. There aren't many more features other than ergonomic improvements that can be had in Cakewalk. It performs audio recording perfectly, & can utilize 95% of the plug ins that are currently available Globally for a PC. Finances are the only restriction in this business so getting better plug ins will go a long way in a more consistent performing product. Computers? Maybe even a more powerful PC will help some of the issues you are experiencing.

Bottom line for me is even though there are some quirks, Sonar works! I don't know about you but I don't have time to learn every new release or product & go through loading it & then unloading the stuff I never use. I started recording MIDI back in 1987 with Cakewalk & in the mid 90's moved on to Cakewalk Audio & since then I have over 1,950 audio songs that I have worked on & completed recording. My WAV folder that stores all the .WAV files associated with the 1,950+ songs & has 41,012 WAVE files associated with those songs that occupy 776 GB of Hard Drive space. Over the years I have replaced 6 hard drives & created an Archive whereby I am storing every project I have ever recorded since day one. Roughly every four years I copy the contents of the last drive I was working on to a new fresh Hard drive just in case the old hard drive craps out on me due to a mechanical issue where the bearings tend to wear out on the spindle. Even the new SSD's have a limiting factor that is inherent whereby they will only read / write so many times before they stop working & the data is lost forever. Replacing the audio storage device is the most important thing that we all need to do regularly if we want access to historic material. It's equally important to duplicate the archive in case the original is stolen, tampered with, or even lost in a fire. Good backup habits are number one.

As you can tell there's many more factors to consider besides the fact that Sonar will no longer have any future improvements.

On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry. I've never seen such a helter skelter piece of software that seems to have been written by a bunch of people that just started learning how to program software & have been given music as the topic for their first learning class project. It ranks second only to a piece of software called Band In A Box. It is so unprofessional & untidy along with "DARKNESS" that the program seems to ozze for lack of a better description so it's no wonder they give it away free. Why would someone pay for something that has endless menus? Each menu option appears to have a paragraph associated with as the description in case you didn't understand what they were trying to label.

Out of necessity I've had to use some other DAWs other than Sonar because the project I was finishing was started in a different DAW so I would have no alternative but to install the clients DAW that was being used then scoop the necessary files & import them into Sonar for completion. There were a few projects that I completed using the clients DAW so I am familiar with many different DAWs & plugins that were part of the project.

As you can probably tell I'm very passionate about Sonar & recording & I still hold Sonar in the highest regard even if it lacks some routines & features that other software might employ. 

Good luck to all of you! I don't think we've heard the last word from Sonar & am very hopeful that they can get some new Capital to resurrect Cakewalk because It doesn't deserve a death such as this. Greg Hendershott was & still is a brilliant visionary & engineer who was very passionate about Cakewalk & I would welcome him with open arms if his presence was somehow reunited with his baby.

Cheers to all, & I do hope I haven't offended anyone with my post because this was not my intention! 

BobF
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 13:17:22 (permalink)
CBJ
If GM went belly up would you sell your car?

If my car required periodic changes to continue to function properly on our system of roads, the answer is "Yes"

Not because my car will instantly quit working, but because I know it will quit working eventually.  I prefer prevention over remediation.

Bob  --
--

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 13:56:40 (permalink)
Believe me BobF, there are the same problems with cars. They are never perfect. They have a lot of issues, especially modern cars. The only difference is that nobody tells you about and sends you patches, except when it is dangerous to life.

... many years before ...
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 13:59:13 (permalink)
CBJ
Before I get started I will apologize for my opinions & rant here but I mean no harm to anyone because I'm just as shocked as you are with the current situation that Gibson is experiencing. I feel sorry for all the employees & family members associated with such a great company that was such a leader & so instrumental in product development over the years. I'm sure if companies such Guitar Center paid their bill to Gibson for all the Les Pauls & other Gibson guitars hanging on their walls we wouldn't be having this conversation. However, it is what it is, & the future might even allow Gibson to restructure & who knows, maybe Cakewalk will be resurrected once again. In the mean time I'm puzzled by some of the comments I've read on this forum & on the Web regarding Gibson & Cakewalk.

I don't get it! Just because the company no longer exists some of you folks have the need to get on board with something else. Head for the hills, the end is near! We're gonna die! This is good material for a good old fashion 30's Radio Show. Yikes! 

If GM went belly up would you sell your car? What the Hell are some of you smoking? Even though I bought version X1 & X3 I continue to use Sonar version 8.53 due to issues with my limited vision. I've had a Cornea transplant so X3 doesn't have the contrast that I need when I work for 14 to 16 hours a day. Since I can customize the colors I have a very high contrast setup in Version 8.53 that allows me to see everything I need to get my work done. Thank you 8.53!

I've used Cakewalk since 1987 when it was a DOS product to start with & will continue using 8.53 till the day I die. Sure it's got a few quirks but so does every other software that's ever been developed in the world & currently in use & this doesn't apply to the music industry but rather every other code writing group in the World. There is no perfect software! What are these serious problems in X1, X2, X3 that you claim are serious enough to cause you to move on to another DAW? There's very little that's broken in X3!

Keep using what you already have & are used to. There aren't many more features other than ergonomic improvements that can be had in Cakewalk. It performs audio recording perfectly, & can utilize 95% of the plug ins that are currently available Globally for a PC. Finances are the only restriction in this business so getting better plug ins will go a long way in a more consistent performing product. Computers? Maybe even a more powerful PC will help some of the issues you are experiencing.

Bottom line for me is even though there are some quirks, Sonar works! I don't know about you but I don't have time to learn every new release or product & go through loading it & then unloading the stuff I never use. I started recording MIDI back in 1987 with Cakewalk & in the mid 90's moved on to Cakewalk Audio & since then I have over 1,950 audio songs that I have worked on & completed recording. My WAV folder that stores all the .WAV files associated with the 1,950+ songs & has 41,012 WAVE files associated with those songs that occupy 776 GB of Hard Drive space. Over the years I have replaced 6 hard drives & created an Archive whereby I am storing every project I have ever recorded since day one. Roughly every four years I copy the contents of the last drive I was working on to a new fresh Hard drive just in case the old hard drive craps out on me due to a mechanical issue where the bearings tend to wear out on the spindle. Even the new SSD's have a limiting factor that is inherent whereby they will only read / write so many times before they stop working & the data is lost forever. Replacing the audio storage device is the most important thing that we all need to do regularly if we want access to historic material. It's equally important to duplicate the archive in case the original is stolen, tampered with, or even lost in a fire. Good backup habits are number one.

As you can tell there's many more factors to consider besides the fact that Sonar will no longer have any future improvements.

On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry. I've never seen such a helter skelter piece of software that seems to have been written by a bunch of people that just started learning how to program software & have been given music as the topic for their first learning class project. It ranks second only to a piece of software called Band In A Box. It is so unprofessional & untidy along with "DARKNESS" that the program seems to ozze for lack of a better description so it's no wonder they give it away free. Why would someone pay for something that has endless menus? Each menu option appears to have a paragraph associated with as the description in case you didn't understand what they were trying to label.

Out of necessity I've had to use some other DAWs other than Sonar because the project I was finishing was started in a different DAW so I would have no alternative but to install the clients DAW that was being used then scoop the necessary files & import them into Sonar for completion. There were a few projects that I completed using the clients DAW so I am familiar with many different DAWs & plugins that were part of the project.

As you can probably tell I'm very passionate about Sonar & recording & I still hold Sonar in the highest regard even if it lacks some routines & features that other software might employ. 

Good luck to all of you! I don't think we've heard the last word from Sonar & am very hopeful that they can get some new Capital to resurrect Cakewalk because It doesn't deserve a death such as this. Greg Hendershott was & still is a brilliant visionary & engineer who was very passionate about Cakewalk & I would welcome him with open arms if his presence was somehow reunited with his baby.

Cheers to all, & I do hope I haven't offended anyone with my post because this was not my intention! 

Sonar has actually some very serious problems which affect some people depending on the kind of projects you work on with it, and for me those problems became so bad that the program has become a complete and utter turkey, almost completely unusable.

Your comments about Reaper are so far off the mark I don't even know where to begin. The program works so much better than Sonar, is infinitely more customizable to suit different workflows and is so CPU efficient that I can run projects at 96 samples which wouldn't run in Sonar at anything under 1024 samples. In just the couple of weeks that I've been working with it I've seen many ways in which it's functionality and design is strides ahead of Sonar. Take automation. If you're a heavy user of automation like me then it's a huge PITA in Sonar. I could talk all day about the bugs and weirdness and things working inconsistently when doing intricate automation in Sonar. I'm recreating a huge automation heavy project in Reaper right now and I can't believe how much better the automation editing is - I'm breezing through it. Even little things like finding the parameter I need from a list of hundreds of parameters is so much easier in Reaper. In short, it's more powerful, more efficient, better designed and more stable. To describe its developer as someone who has "just learned how to program" doesn't exactly do your credibility any favors, LOL!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
BobF
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 14:09:40 (permalink)
marled
Believe me BobF, there are the same problems with cars. They are never perfect. They have a lot of issues, especially modern cars. The only difference is that nobody tells you about and sends you patches, except when it is dangerous to life.

Of course they do.  But I've never had road improvements render my auto unusable for its intended purpose.

Bob  --
--

Michael A.D.
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 14:12:13 (permalink)
I was a Cakewalk user all the way from the earliest stuff up through Sonar Platinum with the lifetime subscription.

I was a Live user from version 1.5 all the way through the V9 suite.

But then I discovered Reaper, and so even before Sonar had announced it's demise I had already given up on Sonar and Live and it's been only Reaper for me. 

I think Sharke makes some good points - Reaper is not going to grab you the first time you use it... it's beauty (and strength) is that you can make it YOUR DAW... you can adjust the menus and toolbars... you can change the themes and tweak them (and there are some AMAZING themes available).   And it's got a small footprint,  it's CPU efficient... it NEVER crashes... and the program is constantly being upgraded, adding new features.   And the program's authors listen to feedback... just 2 days ago they had an upgrade, and based on user feedback on their forum, the program was updated again in 2 days!  Talk about customer responsiveness!

Considering that you can try Reaper for free I would especially recommend it those who enjoy digging into a program.  Give it a try and I assure you that if you spend some time with Reaper you will love it.

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 14:34:54 (permalink)
Studio One and Reaper, in that order.

I prefer working in SO. If there's something I need Reaper for, I can ReWire it into Studio One.

Reaper is outstanding, as was Justin's previous baby, WinAmp.

There are a couple of things that concern me, from a long-term view. Things like controller support (my FaderPort works fine, but I needed to figure out which user-developed plugin to download; then the INI file from a different d/l; then I need to deal with a text .INI file to configure it if the default doesn't suit me; blah blah blah). Things like the SWS extension. Things like ReaPack. Things like themes.

Awful lot of stuff that's community-developed and supported, or not.

I only spent 2 years on SPlat, unlike many who've been users for decades, so my 'loss' wasn't as great.

As much as I am troubled by PreSonus' go-to-market strategy for their audio interfaces, they build some excellent gear with outstanding integration with Studio One.

I expect to keep both Studio One Pro and Reaper current for the foreseeable future. I'm not going to pick one over the other.

One thing I will probably do is uninstall Samplitude and that 70 GB synth/sampler. And maybe even Sound Forge, if the upgrade to v12 is too expensive. Won't bother me. I'm happy to have just SpectraLayers for the $149 sale price.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 14:50:15 (permalink)
CBJ

I was not using Cakewalk software at 1987, but from everything I read Cakewalk was an innovative jewel at the beginning of its history. But if software is not properly developed, at some point is it going to be obsolete. And that has happened with Sonar. There was no significant changes in the engine for more then 10 years.
And now it is an opportunity for users to check alternatives. There are several. I do not know why you see that as a nonsense.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 15:09:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bluzdog 2018/02/21 15:54:43
Some people embrace change.  Others struggle with it.  Having made a career in IT, I understand both viewpoints.  I still have an old laptop with Windows XP and Sonar 8.5 installed.  I haven't booted it lately, but it is cool knowing I can if I want to.  But I now prefer Windows 10 and the latest DAW technology.

But as with many other things, choosing sides makes no sense.

As change is the only thing that is permanent anyway. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 16:23:28 (permalink)
I ended up with Presonus Studio One 3, and to add my usual question to that title, why the hell don't they just call it "Studio 3"??????  Anyway, it's easy, far easier than I ever expected.  I have only gone to the manual a few times, so if you want a DAW you can just jump right into I highly recommend it. You'll be up and running in 10 minutes.  I find myself a little baffled with its midi capabilities, but I'm not a power-midi user so that's not a deal-breaker.  Also, even though others will fiercely disagree, it sounds more "open" to me than SONAR does.  I know that blind tests demonstrate that no one can tell the difference in DAWs, but it truly does sound "better" to me. 

I tried Samplitude and like it, but boy there's a lot of clicking using that thing.  It just seems very labor intensive to get something done.  Also, I found myself in the manual a lot trying to figure out things.  There are some cool vsti's that come with it, in particular "Independence" and the highly underrated "Vandal" that are well worth a look.

Reaper is getting a lot of love here.  When I tried it, it felt a tad overwhelming and baffling, but, to be honest, I didn't really dig in with it.  So take that with a grain of salt.  Check Sharke's other posts in this same forum and he'll highlight some of the pluses for you.

Good luck on your search.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 17:09:38 (permalink)
Cubase 9.5. Rock solid, and does everything I need it to. Also, it does what I want quickly, which is a big selling point with me. If Cubase didn't exist, I'd be on Reaper. Love the program, but Cubase is still faster for me to use.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 17:58:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bodhi65 2018/02/21 22:09:37
Still planning on using SONAR until I can't anymore. I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, if ever.

I do, however, have a plan B if it does ever come to that: Samplitude. I've learned it well enough to be confident that it will fill the bill if needed. 

It's not about embracing or rejecting change. It's about what's important enough to warrant a disruption to the real task at hand, which is making music. I'd rather allocate the limited hours I have in a day to working on my chops, composing, and recording. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:00:08 (permalink)
I agree with both Sharke and CBJ. Reaper is a great DAW, but yes, you can still get quite a bit of mileage out of Sonar, even if it never experiences a resurrection (hey, Spring is coming, who knows?).

My path actually has led backwards rather than forwards, following "the news." My experience is probably unique. I started with Home Studio 6 in the late 90's, progressing up to 8.5.3 Producer. That's when the problems started. Producer had various glitches for me, causing frequent crashes and hyper-vigilance. For example, if I suddenly stopped playback while my EWSO basses were playing, Sonar would crash. This weird bug could not be solved by Cakewalk or East West support. I should have upgraded, but went to Reaper instead, where eventually I was able to develop a workflow which I pretended was as fast as Sonar's.

Then, the news hit. I wanted to see what version of Sonar I could go forward with, if Sonar was to be no more. I remembered I had 8.5 Studio. I barely had used it, upgrading quickly to Producer. To my surprise, it had none of the glitches that Producer had. So, I have gone back to 8.5 Studio. My workflow is faster than it has ever been, and no crashes.

I tried the "free" Home Studio, really liked it, but found I needed an Event List. As for Reaper, it's not that well-suited for orchestral composers. Midi routing is a painful process. It took at least a week for folks on the forum to finally get me doing it right. And Reaper has some weird behavior on a really long piece. Toward the end, it would jump back to the beginning every time I made a CC change. Not great for the workflow. I am hopeful that in time Reaper will evolve to the point where I can use it efficiently. The incredible notation editor they developed almost overnight gives me hope. But it just doesn't seem like the devs have classical music in mind. However, as I said my experience is probably unique. The vast majority of Sonar users would do just fine on Reaper.

We're all free to do what we want. Stay or go. Go forward, go backward. The only thing I don't like is people slamming each other for their choices. Or slamming a product that doesn't work well for them, while for others it's ideal. Report your experience, maybe it will be helpful to others. That's what I try to do.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:02:10 (permalink)
Cubase 9.5

I'm an all-MIDI-all-the-time guy, and Cubase is the best DAW I've ever used when it comes to MIDI work. I loved Sonar, and I have Reaper, Samplitude and Harrison Mixbus. Reaper is great, and was my official backup DAW when Sonar was experiencing growing pains and I had stability issues.

But after demoing Cubase in December, I was pretty easily convinced to buy it. It is simply outstanding - very solid, very efficient, and I found it quite easy to learn. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:12:05 (permalink)
I use SPlat and Live 9 and I'm not having any problems with SPlat. Live doesn't seem very good for mixing so I don't see it replacing SPlat. I picked up Samplitude as a plan B and am using that occasionlly - if I run into problems with SPlat I'll use Samplitude. 

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:15:51 (permalink)
marled

Sometimes.

Byron Dickens
Just Another Bloke
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:38:53 (permalink)
My DAW can beat up your DAW.

the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 18:52:02 (permalink)
CBJ
On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry.

Smoking pot will get you hooked on heroine, and people who never smoked pot know, so it's gotta be true!!!   <G>

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

BobF
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:16:47 (permalink)
CBJ
On another note, claims that software such as Reaper are awesome have to be the biggest joke of this industry.

Smoking pot will get you hooked on heroine, and people who never smoked pot know, so it's gotta be true!!!   <G>

Bob  --
--

abacab
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:21:53 (permalink)
"That ain't the way to have fun, son"

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:30:58 (permalink)
Just Another Bloke
My DAW can beat up your DAW.

You must be Talking_to_Yourself (again)
on this highway of information that never ends?

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:34:28 (permalink)
"Don't fear the Reaper"

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:42:40 (permalink)
I did fear, now I embrace......glad I did. Just waiting on ARA 2 later this year. 

Last night I loaded up 1 instance of Kontakt with 8 different synths inside including 2 sets of Abbey Road Drums which are CPU hogs. All this with my buffer at 64 on a Mackie firewire sound device. The CPU on my system barely blinked. That's just one of the reasons I embrace Reaper.

arthquinn
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:54:37 (permalink)
I've got no axe to grind either way. I've used Cubase and Logic in the past, but had Sonar as my main daw for the last 6 years because it was a bit of a babe... the look of the interface and the workflow just suited me. 

I was frequently frustrated with instability and crash issues, but that was true with other daws as well.

I went for the Samplitude deal because I've wanted Spectral Layers and the general audio-editing capability for while but couldn't afford it. Samplitude is a very good daw, but I'm finding it just doesn't suit me in terms of laying down  material in a way that keeps my inspiration going, but thats just me and my foibles.

I had tried Reaper a while back, and didn't take to it. I guess I also bought into the general perception that it was the cheap option and lacked the investment to make it a functional competitor to the rest.

Well I've looked at it again, and even although there may be a "love-in" to a degree on this forum, I can see why people become advocates for it - it deserves a lot more credit than it gets even now.

Its stable, fast, and efficient, and it has most of the features I'm looking for and a good bit more - ARE would be nice, but its coming. At first glance its ugly and cumbersome, but its meant to be lean - there are some beautiful skins out there and and it can be easily customised to give you the workflow you need.

I'm not a pro, but I have been working with these tools for many years, and Reaper deserves to be taken very seriously indeed - especially at £60.

As I said elsewhere, Reaper comes as a tramp to your door - dress it nice, talk to it and get to know it and - imo - you'll be richly rewarded   
abacab
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:55:03 (permalink)

abacab
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 19:55:55 (permalink)
"Don't fear the Reaper"

Needs more cowbell!!! 

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: What DAW are you going to now? 2018/02/21 20:26:38 (permalink)
I'm still mainly using Sonar and I'm reasonable confident that it has a future. If not, it will continue to work at least in the short term, so there is no reason  to abandon it yet. Meanwhile I'm learning a couple of other DAWs. Right now I'm enjoying using Harrison Mixbus32C. I've also got MOTU Digital Performer, but that's more of a long-term thing and I haven't got very far into it yet. Sonar, DP and Mixbus all have different strengths. I didn't see the point in being a 3-DAW user and having 3 similar DAWs. To diversify a bit seems like a good idea.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1