Helpful ReplyWhat I like in Studio One

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/23 21:46:51 (permalink)
batsbrew
azslow3
 I do not have S1, so I do not know about build-in features ....

then why are you in a thread about what you like about S1P?

I am on Cakewalk forum to learn something new, about Sonar or something else. And help with something when I can. Not so long time ago, people was forced to look in different directions. I also have looked toward S1 and hit several show stoppers. Still, I have found that looking around is a good idea. So I keep an eye on other DAWs discussions.

(S1 owners here write whatever, except technical details...)

Since you have S1, you could answer on the original question about X-Ray.
Or make technical comparison, which I have proposed before.

So far the DAW name in the title of this thread can be changed to another 3-4 DAWs and everything written will stay 80-90% valid. A half of "awesome features in S1 3 compare to Sonar 6" exists in recent Sonar.

So I can only ask counter question: if you have decided to stop on Sonar 6, what are you doing here?

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/23 22:11:53 (permalink)
Stand by for a commercial interruption ... and a flashback to what the OP of this thread originally stated:

I am really excited to see that Sonar found a new home and has a new team, it is a relief to see that all this work will continue its journey. Meanwhile, I did buy Studio One and while there are features I miss in Sonar, there are few key things in S1 that I am hoping to see in Sonar

This sounds like a constructive comment, not intended to be a DAW vs. DAW comparison.  But invariably, the discussion has moved sideways into which DAW is best.

I think that looking around at what other DAWs may do better, in order to improve the one that you use, is always a good thing. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 12:51:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby RSMCGUITAR 2018/03/31 02:16:49
azslow3
batsbrew
azslow3
 I do not have S1, so I do not know about build-in features ....

then why are you in a thread about what you like about S1P?

I am on Cakewalk forum to learn something new, about Sonar or something else. And help with something when I can. Not so long time ago, people was forced to look in different directions. I also have looked toward S1 and hit several show stoppers. Still, I have found that looking around is a good idea. So I keep an eye on other DAWs discussions.

(S1 owners here write whatever, except technical details...)

Since you have S1, you could answer on the original question about X-Ray.
Or make technical comparison, which I have proposed before.

So far the DAW name in the title of this thread can be changed to another 3-4 DAWs and everything written will stay 80-90% valid. A half of "awesome features in S1 3 compare to Sonar 6" exists in recent Sonar.

So I can only ask counter question: if you have decided to stop on Sonar 6, what are you doing here?

Aslow, I have switched to S1.  The reason I am still here is this community is more expansive in terms of topics.  Presonus sells hardware (of which I don't own any) so their hardware discussions are focused around their gear.  There is no software forum to talk about other software and no techniques forum to talk about techniques.

Also, the S1 forums are more business-like, where as the Sonar forums are a little looser with a little more humor and witty banter.

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 14:01:25 (permalink)
Also, the S1 forums are more business-like, where as the Sonar forums are a little looser with a little more humor and witty banter.

Witty banter? I went back to look and all I saw was childish comments and low brow humor...wait a minute, those were all my posts... nevermind.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 17:01:06 (permalink)
To say " I don't miss Sonar" is probably a given no matter what you decide to do. If a person makes their mind up to use something else, they will no longer be concentrating on what they had before and they will use what they have.
Currently I run several instances of 4 different programming editors. And that is my usual working environment 

Yes, BUT- Are you making music and tracking? Are you a musician? Programmer?

I don't understand the comment " how far daws have come" when comparing Studio One to Sonar.
For that you have to try them..

@ Azslow3, I have the most recent copy of Studio One 3 professional. So I have tried them both. 

There is DAW with weekly updates, some are significant and there can be intermediate updates with fixes. Report real bug - get it fixed next day.
Sonar has some advantages in the work-flow and offered functions (f.e. see the comparison I have mentioned before). But the list of functions it does not have compare to other is also not empty.

@Azslow3, I think there is a slight translation error here. If I understand this statement, which I think is saying that Sonar also leaves much to be desired.What do you want it to do that it doesn't do?

Try to start some "other" DAW on old computer and then again Sonar. The difference in performance will be obvious.

Also working with Sonar, I have learned never modify the project structure while transport is not stopped. In "other DAW" I can make new project, press "Play"/"Record" and build the whole project without completely stopping it(add tracks, FXes, Synthes, record parts, etc.). I will call that a "stress test" for gapless audio engine.
(do not try to enable "allow record arm with working transport" in Sonar, there was a thread about that... you can get your SSD filled quickly )

I think this is a great feature to have. I would ask, how many things does the average user do at once? Speaking for myself. I don't typically throw effects into my chain while my mix is running. Maybe others do more of this and so this would be more appealing to them. When I build a mix I do it in a systematic way which doesn't involve throwing elements in while the program is running.. Most DJ's use Ableton Live. I don't see a DJ running for a copy of Studio One. This doesn't mean I don't make adjustments to plug ins while Sonar runs.Sonar is more than capable to do that unless we have a bad plug in.

I would not mix "work arounds" and alternative ways. The first is lengthy replacement for something not working. The second is different approach.

You can cut it any way you want. If I have a client and they nave an Mp4 track I need to find a work around in Studio One. So neither is immune to it.

But sorry, this forum is not "unique in openes" and sometimes prided "developers feedback" was never top it its class. The community is mostly "self servicing".

I guess most people here still run Sonar for one or another reason. And I guess many people have good feeling doing that, from "feeling home" and "nostalgia" to "that is simpler/quicker to do in Sonar...". But I do not think that refusing the fact the program shows some "aging" effect is a good idea.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself. I know a few here so I believe I can confidently say "we" when referring to the group here sometimes because there is an "us" among the "them".

I don't have a good feeling about what happened to Cakewalk. I don't have a good feeling about seeing one of my favorite daws kicked around like a soccer ball between owners these last 10 years. I believe the forum is unique in that there is an open environment here. If the environment were not open I seriously doubt this thread would exist.

My answer for using Sonar is simple really. I know how to do everything in it in half the time it would take me to do it in something else. As long as it is kept the way it is I see no reason to change that. After resizing  a few graphic blocks around on two monitors I have it the way I like it, usually with console view on the second monitor.One keystroke hides all the things I don't need to see while mixing. It doesn't get any better than that for me in mixing really. I have typical plug in chains. No need for me to drag in anything while it runs. 
I would hate to see so much blood sweat and tears go down the drain in thinking about all of the effort that has gone into the program.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 17:38:23 (permalink)
BassDaddy

Witty banter? I went back to look and all I saw was childish comments and low brow humor...wait a minute, those were all my posts... nevermind.

LOL - my standards for witty banter are admittedly low.  :-)

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

azslow3
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 19:39:37 (permalink)
Starise
To say " I don't miss Sonar" is probably a given no matter what you decide to do. If a person makes their mind up to use something else, they will no longer be concentrating on what they had before and they will use what they have.
Currently I run several instances of 4 different programming editors. And that is my usual working environment 

Yes, BUT- Are you making music and tracking? Are you a musician? Programmer?

How many musicians develop 4 different programs in parallel?
I am a programmer. And I have no problem to work with different editors and so with different shortcuts, menus, compilation and run options.
I mean (pro) musicians also can use several DAWs (and according to this forum, some do).

I don't understand the comment " how far daws have come" when comparing Studio One to Sonar.
For that you have to try them..
@ Azslow3, I have the most recent copy of Studio One 3 professional. So I have tried them both. 

I do not have S1. My DAW of choice is "far" in many aspects. Reading this forum, I assume S1 is also "far" (but owners keep most details  in "secret")

There is DAW with weekly updates, some are significant and there can be intermediate updates with fixes. Report real bug - get it fixed next day.
Sonar has some advantages in the work-flow and offered functions (f.e. see the comparison I have mentioned before). But the list of functions it does not have compare to other is also not empty.

@Azslow3, I think there is a slight translation error here. If I understand this statement, which I think is saying that Sonar also leaves much to be desired.What do you want it to do that it doesn't do?

I want it react faster, replace MIDI engine with something "modern", make API working with features introduced in the last 10 yeas. But from everything else, I most tired by its endless list of MIDI related bugs (from input devices, throw timing up to control surfaces API). Also I have a philosophical wish my DAW is accessible.

Try to start some "other" DAW on old computer and then again Sonar. The difference in performance will be obvious.

Also working with Sonar, I have learned never modify the project structure while transport is not stopped. In "other DAW" I can make new project, press "Play"/"Record" and build the whole project without completely stopping it(add tracks, FXes, Synthes, record parts, etc.). I will call that a "stress test" for gapless audio engine.
(do not try to enable "allow record arm with working transport" in Sonar, there was a thread about that... you can get your SSD filled quickly )

I think this is a great feature to have. I would ask, how many things does the average user do at once?

To make it clear. For me, any DAW is just a hobby "music instrument". When I play my DP, I do not have to think "before I switch to EP I should not forget to stop accompaniment and release all keys, otherwise it will crash or get notes stuck". I want the same from the DAW, drop new synth or effect without thinking much about technical details, preferably from controller. I am 2m away from the keyboard when I sit near my keys/drums/guitars, I do not even see the monitor (so I have some benefits from accessibility, when married with controller).

At work, I was sometimes loading everything I need into 100GB RAM disk (on 128GB RAM server...  SSDs have solved the problem), waiting 5min till the program compiles after small change is absolute "no go". So the DAW reaction speed has value for me.

I would not mix "work arounds" and alternative ways. The first is lengthy replacement for something not working. The second is different approach.

You can cut it any way you want. If I have a client and they nave an Mp4 track I need to find a work around in Studio One. So neither is immune to it.

Not that I need it, but from what I know, my DAW of choice support any format... And if something is not yet supported, it is easy to add (yes, I am a programmer... it was not supporting Sonar projects, so I have added that )

My answer for using Sonar is simple really. I know how to do everything in it in half the time it would take me to do it in something else. As long as it is kept the way it is I see no reason to change that. After resizing  a few graphic blocks around on two monitors I have it the way I like it, usually with console view on the second monitor.One keystroke hides all the things I don't need to see while mixing. It doesn't get any better than that for me in mixing really. I have typical plug in chains. No need for me to drag in anything while it runs. 

When I was switching from Borland development environment.... oh that was hard... nothing worked the way it SHOULD, not even simple Copy/Paste!
First run of "vi" under BSD... how to EXIT this black screen??
Windows on 8086... why someone can consider to wait 2 minutes for some dumb graphics?

I mean changing modern DAWs is not so hard   

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 22:29:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BobF 2018/03/26 23:04:04
The secret of Studio One is ...

Take a few former Cubase programmers and let them write a DAW without the bloat of many years accumulation.

S1 may lack a few features yet at version 3.5, but in my opinion it is sleek and responsive.  Must be the young code base.  I have heard other users comment on the tight timing with MIDI and audio.  No lag or delays in updating the session.  Stability and lack of crashes.  Must be a secret.  Hmmmm. 

BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/26 23:06:05 (permalink)
abacab
The secret of Studio One is ...

Take a few former Cubase programmers and let them write a DAW without the bloat of many years accumulation.

S1 may lack a few features yet at version 3.5, but in my opinion it is sleek and responsive.  Must be the young code base.  I have heard other users comment on the tight timing with MIDI and audio.  No lag or delays in updating the session.  Stability and lack of crashes.  Must be a secret.  Hmmmm. 

Studio One is VERY sweet.  I'll be following this one VERY close.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 03:18:09 (permalink)
I have been enjoying solid stability from day one for me in 2010.  It was young then but did the job real well for me. It has evolved into a magnificent program now.  They have quite a long road map and they are adding things in all the time as they travel. V4 will be pretty awesome I can guarantee it.  There might even be an update prior too. 

I push the audio side hard for days on end as I have just done mixing 9 songs.  Many hours.  Never flinched once. Had Scheps Omni here there and everywhere.  Good source of bundled plug-ins too.  In composing music mode I drive the external setup pretty hard all day long too.  Up to 10 hardware synths and never an issue.  Plays back perfect from anywhere.  Great external midi timing to the metronome.  The midi timing externally feels independent.  It just does its thing.  As you work the audio side harder e.g. with virtual synths as well as audio, with all the external midi going on for me, you just adjust the buffers and things to get playback smooth with the audio.  The external midi is always in sync with that. 

I love the gapless performance.  I am someone who is often doing something while it is in play or record.  The other day I was visually editing audio events while the cursor was just behind playing everything I had just edited.  All without any issues. You can loop sections drag effects in and audition patches while it is in play or  record.  I was dropping EQ's and things onto individual events all while in play and looping.  Setting up reverbs at the same time and tuning the spaces etc..

It never crashes for me under any of these conditions.  My RME audio interface and Steinberg Midex 8 midi interface all work seamlessly with the software.  I would use it all live too without hesitation.  Although Ableton is fantastic live.  It has a similar solid audio gapless engine as well.  It is becoming more linear in its own way though.  It would be the only other DAW I would be interested in learning.  It's way different.  Jarre is doing his current albums using Live controlling external midi as well as in the box.  

I am excited about the integration between Presonus digital mixers and Studio One.  (DAW Mode)  Some real interesting things are happening there.  

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 15:14:21 (permalink)
From "secrets" in other DAWs concerning audio engines:

-------------
Studio One - Audio Dropout Protection
Cubase - ASIO Guard
Reaper - Anticipative FX processing
Sonar - <not exist> (or?)

Impact:
While not without some side effects, that technology allows to stay with lower ASIO buffer length. Relevant during recording and avoid switching driver settings / freezing heavy tracks.  
-------------
PDC (Plug-in Delay Compensation) approach

Sonar  - global?
Reaper - signal chain independent, with "shifting backward" when possible.
Studio One - ? can someone confirm ?

What I mean:

Create a project with 2 tracks. On one track put Cakewalk LP EQ with "high" settings (0.7+ sec plug-in delay).
On the second just open ProChannel EQ (in other DAWs some other effect without delay, or LP EQ without LP mode).
Now start play and change some parameter of the second track FX.
In Sonar, resulting sound is delayed by the first track EQ. In Reaper, resulting sound is not delayed (so the same as without the first track FX). Interesting that volume changes on the second track has immediate effect... So may be just a bug, or there is some option?

Impact:
Global:
a) the need to explicitly use "PDC override" during recording and resulting sound is desynchronized with the rest of the project (not only mastering plug-ins have delays, while other delays are usually small, they still can be relevant for recording)
b) using plug-ins with big delays on tracks reduce "responsiveness" of all tracks/plug-ins (during mixing)
Signal chain independent:
a) PDC can be "full automatic" and live chains are in sync with the rest
b) delayed plug-ins on tracks do not influence other tracks, so can be used even on backing tracks for future recording

BobF
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 15:59:13 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I have been enjoying solid stability from day one for me in 2010.  It was young then but did the job real well for me. It has evolved into a magnificent program now.  They have quite a long road map and they are adding things in all the time as they travel. V4 will be pretty awesome I can guarantee it.  There might even be an update prior too. 

I push the audio side hard for days on end as I have just done mixing 9 songs.  Many hours.  Never flinched once. Had Scheps Omni here there and everywhere.  Good source of bundled plug-ins too.  In composing music mode I drive the external setup pretty hard all day long too.  Up to 10 hardware synths and never an issue.  Plays back perfect from anywhere.  Great external midi timing to the metronome.  The midi timing externally feels independent.  It just does its thing.  As you work the audio side harder e.g. with virtual synths as well as audio, with all the external midi going on for me, you just adjust the buffers and things to get playback smooth with the audio.  The external midi is always in sync with that. 

I love the gapless performance.  I am someone who is often doing something while it is in play or record.  The other day I was visually editing audio events while the cursor was just behind playing everything I had just edited.  All without any issues. You can loop sections drag effects in and audition patches while it is in play or  record.  I was dropping EQ's and things onto individual events all while in play and looping.  Setting up reverbs at the same time and tuning the spaces etc..

It never crashes for me under any of these conditions.  My RME audio interface and Steinberg Midex 8 midi interface all work seamlessly with the software.  I would use it all live too without hesitation.  Although Ableton is fantastic live.  It has a similar solid audio gapless engine as well.  It is becoming more linear in its own way though.  It would be the only other DAW I would be interested in learning.  It's way different.  Jarre is doing his current albums using Live controlling external midi as well as in the box.  

I am excited about the integration between Presonus digital mixers and Studio One.  (DAW Mode)  Some real interesting things are happening there.  

Jeff - I hope I'm not reading too much into your post, but are you saying you really, really like Studio One?

Bob  --
--

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 16:30:17 (permalink)
azslow3

Sonar  - global?

see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkKT7ATxJOE

it's related.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Starise
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 17:44:57 (permalink)
Well another post disappeared.. I didn't say any bad words. Not sure what's up.

Delay compensation in Studio One seems to be simply a temporary bypass while recording. Works best with the fx built into the Presonus interfaces and obviously works better on faster interfaces. It basically bypasses the parts of the interface that cause a delay. It doesn't work well on everything. Primarily only on their interfaces with built in effects. In other words you still hear yourself playing through the effects but they are bypassed from the audio while recording and engaged while playing back. It isn't adding any additional resources , only making more intelligent use of the resources at hand. Its really a more complicated routing scheme. You can get a similar result if you record with hardware based effects on any other program. 
Using an RME interface will certainly give you low latency on just about anything. Using a low end interface won't give the same result. Don't be fooled. There are advantages in some instances primarily using high end Presonus hardware. If you use Studio One with an interface that isn't compatible you won't notice much of an improvement.
It really all depends.

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

azslow3
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 18:14:02 (permalink)
batsbrew
azslow3
Sonar  - global?

see this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkKT7ATxJOE
it's related.

Sorry, it is not... It is related to the first, "Audio Dropout Protection".

Starise
Delay compensation in Studio One seems to be simply a temporary bypass while recording.

It can happened it is Sonar like... But delay compensation I am talking about is not audio interface related. Plug-ins with delays do not have the delay because they are "slow", they just need "future" information to made the decision for "now". When used in the recording chain, such plug-ins introduce the "latency" (up to 1 second or even more!) with any interface and any DAW. My question is how DAW deal with such plug-ins which sit outside of current chain you work with (for recording or mixing).

I have describe a very simple test how to check any DAW for that.

abacab
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 18:24:03 (permalink)
azslow3

Plug-ins with delays do not have the delay because they are "slow", they just need "future" information to made the decision for "now". When used in the recording chain, such plug-ins introduce the "latency" (up to 1 second or even more!) with any interface and any DAW. My question is how DAW deal with such plug-ins which sit outside of current chain you work with (for recording or mixing).

I don't think you would use a plugin with an intentional delay caused by look-ahead buffers, like the L-Phase plugins, for recording or mixing. Or for comparing PDC or dropout protection, or whatever.

They are intended for mastering audio where you are not monitoring a live input or a soft synth.  So you are no longer in a real-time situation when mastering, where large look-ahead buffers should not be an issue.  Everything should play back perfectly in sync, according to the delay incurred by the largest plugin buffer in the project.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 19:04:14 (permalink)
I have been playing around with low latency monitoring as well.  Those figures in the video are a bit misleading and they are not good either. He is getting very poor latency performance there.  I can set an input latency of 1.5 mS and output latency of 2 mS using the RME set to 32 samples.  It still plays back a massive session with ease. 

Firstly the fastest interface ever from the Presonus range with Studio One is the Quantum. Latencies under 2 mS can be achieved.  Others though, work super well and they re RME and also Focusrite. 

With my RME I get the best performance with dropout protection set to Minimum and just monitoring the fastest or best buffer setting of 32 samples. If I have got a big instrument like Serum for example being played live from my controller, I can get 4 mS of latency so the synth feels fast to me.  When I use a higher dropout protection and the green low latency instrument monitoring comes into play, the best latency I can get is 6 mS.  Still fast but higher than the 4 mS without using dropout protection.  So in some cases the non use of LLM actually yields a better result.  This is like the other way around at the moment and they are refining what is going on here.  The lowest instrument latency should come when the green LLM is engaged.  This would also apply to using nice guitar plugins while tracking.  You could do it and it would be fast. I know that with vocals I can get  the feeling of zero latency monitoring now.  If I increase my normal audio buffer setting to a higher value e.g. 64 or 128 samples then I get a lower LLM green mode while using a medium to high dropout protection. But if you interface can still play a big session at 32 samples then normal low buffer setting use beats the LLM green mode.

I recently recorded a band to a 24 channel multi session. On Logic using a Focusrite on thunderbolt at its lowest 32 sample buffer setting. With vocal being monitored through the software and live at the same time there was not even phasing in my case.  Meaning the vocals are getting through the DAW at 2 mS and under in my case.  A PA was used live in the room while recording.  I was able to create a special PA buss inside Logic and feed the PA from there.  Any track I simply turned up an send for was routed to the PA with no noticeable delay of any kind.  I had guitar players going through as well through amp/speaker simulators and effects such as reverb and delay. 

Being able to use Studio One on a Mac allows it to talk via thunderbolt to a Focusrite Clarett interface.  Here I can 1.5 mS of roundtrip latency which is amazing.  This is the fastest it has ever felt to me. i.e. playing virtual synths live.  No matter how big the virtual synth is.  Also on the Mac you can use two different audio interfaces at once.  One for inputs and the other for outputs.  I tested this with a RME Fireface 800 working on the Firewire 800 port at the same time as a Focusrite Clarett on the thunderbolt port.  That all worked sweet.  You cannot use all the inputs at once though, unless you create an aggregate device in the Apple audio setup, then you can. 

I think they are refining the whole low latency monitoring setup. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
azslow3
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 20:06:17 (permalink)
abacab
azslow3
Plug-ins with delays do not have the delay because they are "slow", they just need "future" information to made the decision for "now". When used in the recording chain, such plug-ins introduce the "latency" (up to 1 second or even more!) with any interface and any DAW. My question is how DAW deal with such plug-ins which sit outside of current chain you work with (for recording or mixing).

I don't think you would use a plugin with an intentional delay caused by look-ahead buffers, like the L-Phase plugins, for recording or mixing. Or for comparing PDC or dropout protection, or whatever.

They are intended for mastering audio where you are not monitoring a live input or a soft synth.  So you are no longer in a real-time situation when mastering, where large look-ahead buffers should not be an issue.  Everything should play back perfectly in sync, according to the delay incurred by the largest plugin buffer in the project.

Do the test, and you will understand...
Dropout protection is different, it has almost nothing to do with that (except technical implementation which is in fact similar).

Sure no-one will use L-Phase for recording. But there are quite some compressors, limiters, effects which have 2-5ms delay. There was many threads with an advise "till you start mixing, do not use such plug-ins" (not an easy task in Sonar since it does not show current delay, nor which plug-ins have it).
But the whole point, WHEN you have such plug-ing, up to L-Phase (f.e. if your backing track is complete and you want play along...), some DAWs will keep everything in sync with your (low latency) live input. And some DAWs will not.

In practice, if you ever had to hit PDC button, you can benefit from the technology. If you do not use PDC button, you do not need that technology. But the button is there for a reason, right?

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/27 20:49:22 (permalink)
i pretty much run my setup the same way jeff describes....

i really have zero issues with latency,
and zero requirement for plugin compensation.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Starise
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/28 12:16:13 (permalink)
Those are impressive numbers Jeff. I wanted to clarify that I really intended to mention low latency monitoring in Studio One when I said delay compensation which is often mentioned in relation to plug ins. Most software also has plug in delay compensation built in and it usually works just fine. Of course, this all figures into the equation as well.
It's a play on words since all of it is designed to minimize the effects of hearing a delay when using effects or when
playing soft synths. If I'm using an older interface I simply turn off effects or monitor through hardware while recording. Those who play soft synths can record the midi and feed the audio output form their keyboards to stay in sync with the rest of the mix, then use that midi track for a synth of your choice. Not necessarily mandatory  to always use the soft synth during recording if you have high latency.
 With the new series 3 mixers you can "take hold" of the hardware effects inside of the mixer as if they were a part of Studio One. This applies to automation as well. The main drawback being if you port the mix to a collaborator in another studio you will need to print those effects first and he/she can't use them. The advantage being you can take the load off of your computer and practically eliminate delay. This all only applies to the most recent Presonus mixers.
The dust has barely settled on those. The other have built in effects but limited control/integration.

Twitter @Rodein

BobF
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/28 14:02:18 (permalink)
Here is something I love about Studio One - routing flexibility, especially for monitoring.  Sorry for the link to another forum, but I thought some of you might be able to use this.  PreSonusSupt4 taught me this

http://beyondmydaw.com/fo...amp;pid=13620#pid13620

Bob  --
--

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/28 14:25:58 (permalink)
BobF
Here is something I love about Studio One - routing flexibility, especially for monitoring.  Sorry for the link to another forum, but I thought some of you might be able to use this.  PreSonusSupt4 taught me this

http://beyondmydaw.com/fo...amp;pid=13620#pid13620

Hi Bob,
Beyondmydaw branched off from this forum, so no need to apologize as it's really kind of a sibling to this one.

And even if it wasn't, I don't think we've ever been all that sensitive here to people posting links to other forums, since it's usually done in the spirit of sharing knowledge.

Cool tip, btw.  Thanks!

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
abacab
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/28 18:50:38 (permalink)
Here's something I ran across, that adds to the appeal of Studio One if you want to sync it with Notion.

Notion Note Transfer to Studio One and Rewire Syncing both Transports
Nice tutorial video on how-to >>> https://forums.presonus.c....php?f=379&t=29249

abacab
Re: What I like in Studio One 2018/03/31 01:17:37 (permalink)
In case you were still on the fence:

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1