Helpful ReplyWhat are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/28 02:36:17 (permalink)
TTS-1 DXi still opens in Reaper!  Cheers!!!

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/28 06:47:58 (permalink)
pwalpwal
there's nothing like tts-1 for throwing downloaded midi files at

If you open a generic multi-track MIDI file with Cubase, it loads a GM set in Halion to play it back. I've only found a couple of files out of hundreds that wouldn't load properly.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/29 00:57:58 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Melda autodynamic is a great product. Doesn't offer the emulations if quadcurve but does offer so much more and better value than fabfilter

I like both vendors, and I don't class the melda things in the same league, yes they are very good and I bought the "all you can eat" bundle long ago, so the value aspect is stupidly good now.. but for fabfilter to ask me for the prices they do, they themselves know they REALLY have to justify it. they hold their value due to that reason.

Magic Russ
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/29 01:15:27 (permalink)
Resonant Serpent
pwalpwal

If you open a generic multi-track MIDI file with Cubase, it loads a GM set in Halion to play it back. I've only found a couple of files out of hundreds that wouldn't load properly.

Who else offers similar functionality?

Check Out my presets for Rapture Classic
http://patcharena.com/dow...5c3a1a706c5f940397d297
abacab
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/29 02:22:47 (permalink)
Magic Russ
Resonant Serpent
pwalpwal

Who else offers similar functionality?

As far as I know those are the only two, Reaper (with DXi TTS-1) , and Cubase with Halion Sonic SE.

The rest of the info I have seen requires a DX-VST wrapper that only certain DAWs support.

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/29 02:33:56 (permalink)
Waves had a Cyber Monday sale on plugins, here's what I scored.......

Abbey Road reverb plates

API 2500 Stereo Compressor

C6 multi-band compressor

Manny Marroquin reverb

SSL G Master Buss Compressor

VU Meter

Scheps 73 EQ
post edited by djwayne - 2017/11/29 06:16:17
musichoo
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 811
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/29 07:35:50 (permalink)
The big difference between tts1 in Sonar and S1 is when you import a standard midi file into tts1 in Sonar, all the channels were assigned the correct instruments and very little setup is required. Can't do that in S1.

Sonar Platinum. Win7 64bit. i7 CPU 4770. 14 Gig RAM. Roland A500Pro controller keyboard. Korg Krome 88. M-audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard, Focusrite 18i8, Roland UA25EX. Ivory II, True Piano, Addictive Keys, Synthmaster, Harmor, Zeta +2, Lounge Lizard 4, Geist, Miroslav 2, Sample Tank 3. Kaiser grand piano. Shure KSM137 x2. Wave's Renaissance and Gold. Breeze. ST3. Pianoteq 5. AD2.Aether Reverb, Dune2 , Reason 10 and Komplete 10 Ultimate, Syntronik, O8N2 adv, Studio one 3.5 Pro.

https://etherealpiano.bandcamp.com/
willif
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/16 00:43:58 (permalink)
2 ALL

If U like the Blue Tubes stuff go to: http://store.dontcrack.com where they often sell the Nomad Factory downloadable software for very excellent prices. Nomad has a set called: Integral Studio Pack III which has ALL -  52 - Nomad Factory plug-ins included, regularly on sale for $199.00 USD and as low as $99.00 USD. Blue Tubes complete set is included. Reg price $599.00 USD.

Best of luck all, very sad to see Cakewalk closed.

Sonar Platinum Lifetime (Deceased 2003~2017 R.I.P.)

Will
abacab
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/16 01:25:27 (permalink)
My vote to replace Sonar's ProChannel would be for the new Scheps Omni Channel from Waves. 

https://www.waves.com/plu...he-scheps-omni-channel

MakerDP
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 04:43:24 (permalink)
abacab
My vote to replace Sonar's ProChannel would be for the new Scheps Omni Channel from Waves. 

https://www.waves.com/plu...he-scheps-omni-channel

+1. IMO it is far and away better in every respect than any of the ProChannel stuff or anything else bundled with SONAR or S1.

I also got the Waves Gold bundle and the Klanghelm MJUC which is a great mix-buss compressor.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 05:34:53 (permalink)
MakerDP+1. IMO it is far and away better in every respect than any of the ProChannel stuff or anything else bundled with SONAR or S1.

You have sort of missed the point here.  Studio One is lean and they purposefully only give you a minimum number of included plug-ins. e.g. some basic furniture to sit on.  The whole idea is you actually furnish the house with your own desired furniture. e.g. Waves Scheps Omni Channel.  Takes care of the whole Sonar Pro Channel thing in one hit and it is better anyway.

Sonar had way too many plug-ins included.  Many of them average to say the least.

Same with Virtual instruments.  Studio One give you 5 really useful ones but the idea is you add you own to taste. Which is what many do anyway.  It is awesome that you can take Studio One in any direction you want in terms of effects and virtual instruments.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2018/02/18 06:01:03

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
MakerDP
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 06:07:51 (permalink)
What did I miss? I am agreeing that SOC is a major upgrade to the ProChannel and S1's strips.

I think we are saying the same thing... that's kinda the point of plugins... you pick and choose what works best for you.
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 06:25:59 (permalink)
great thing about prochannel is negligible cpu hit. I don't know of any other daw that has a better easy access eq than Quadcurve. Ableton has Glue compressor which is cool as it is regarded as maybe the best vst compresssor

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 06:40:17 (permalink)
The point I think I was trying to get across was Sonar had a lot of bundled plugins whereas Studio One does not. They don't seem too concerned about it because I think they know many will be installing what they want.  So its a bit unfair to compare Sonar and Studio One on that front.  Different philosophies.  

Fat Channel by the way is very nice now (had a complete revamp in a recent update)  and has got some nice EQ's and compressors included.  Also the Presonus channel strip Add-ons e.g. RC500 and VT1 are also very good as well.  Not cheap though, I actually won them in a competition.

Yes Scheps OC is great though for sure.  Love it too.  It is a little CPU hungry as well.  So you wont be able to use it on every track and buss and have every module switched on either.  But the good news is CPU hit is reduced as you turn off unused modules within.

A good combination might be either bundled plugins on tracks (Fat Channel included here) and Scheps OC on buses. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 07:34:11 (permalink)
Well let's see:

• BT Stuff: Never used it, I didn't like the interface and the sound. For general plugins like that I mostly use Waves Gold, and the built in Cubase plugins.
  • TH3: I use Amplitube 4 instead for the most part. I do own the full TH3, but I like Amplitube 4 and were I having to spend money on one or the other now, it'd be Amplitube no question.
  • Breverb: Never used it much, I really like the built in Cubase algo verb though for that kind of thing.
  • TTS-1: I got Soundcanvas VA, which is more or less a direct replacement being a Roland setup.
  • Adaptive Limiter: I'd like to have it back but my go-to limiter has long been IK's Stealth Limiter.
  • Sonitus Plugins: Again never used them much, used Waves Gold instead.
  • Dimension/Rapture: Never used them much either, I have Komplete which covers what they do more or less and that is the way I'd go were I spending again.
  • Console Emulator: I don't use it, I really don't like it.
That's been my replacements personally. In general, I'd say get a DAW and try what they have first, if you don't already own something you like. Many come with highly competent plugins. Like in general I'd say Cubase's included plugins are slicker than what Sonar had. Not necessarily sonically superior, but slicker interface, easier to use, etc.

So once you have your new DAW, see how you like what they have first, then compile a list of what isn't working for you and go shopping.
abacab
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/18 20:58:29 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

A good combination might be either bundled plugins on tracks (Fat Channel included here) and Scheps OC on buses. 

That's an interesting suggestion! 

emwhy
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1402
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2018/02/19 03:26:21 (permalink)
You have to download a shell "wrapper" and drop it your vst folder. It will make most of your DX stuff look like vsts to another app. Some won't work like the Sonitus compressor and gate because they use side chaining. The Pentagon synth tends to crash in some apps, but most of your DX plug-ins that aren't locked to SONAR will work as vsts.

Here's a post on it from another forum with a link to download:

http://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/shell2vst.zip 

this converts all installed dx plugins to valid vst plugins. 
there's an exe in the zip and a dxshell.dll/dxishell.dll. just drop the appropiate dll onto the exe and there's a folder created at the same location the exe is placed. in that folder are the created vst versions. just copy the vst versions into your vst plugin folder where your host will find them. beware, this procedere converts _all_ dx plugins, make sure you just copy the ones you need to your vst plugin folder. however, there might be plugins that refuse to work if they're strictly bound to a specipic host (i.e. some plugs by cakewalk don't work, they are giving you the appropiate message when you try to load them). also beware that, if you have waves plugins installed, these are dx plugins by nature, they'll be converted, too. 
other than these minor issues this worked flawless for me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1