Helpful ReplyWhat are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
2017/11/25 00:42:54 (permalink)

What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with?

I'm not sure I'm even jumping ship any time soon, but in case I were, I am curious to know what replacements I should make.

For example, the Blue Tube series is locked, but I can get the full version for $79 from JRR.
BREVERB and TH3 are locked, but I could upgrade to the full version.  Plus there are a lot of other options for reverb and amp sims that I already have.

I like the tape sim in PC.  Nomad Factory's Magnetic II should do the trick.

I'm not sure about what to replace the console simulator with.

There are also a few DX plugins that I use, for example TTS-1 is nice to have when sketching out a few things and occasionally the Roland GrooveSynth can have just the right cheesy patch.  Is there a DX wrapper?  (funny, 15 years ago I was trying to wrap VST into DX, now am going in the other direction).  
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 00:51:48 (permalink)
Studio One already has the Console Shaper plugin built in
and they also have a Console collection.

I would imagine it would depend on which direction you
were headed.

mumpcake
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 01:20:44 (permalink)
I'm probably not headed in the Studio One direction, but it is nice to know.
Markubl2
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 299
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 04:41:41 (permalink)
I love that Blue Tube pack.  May go for the full bundle.   Is that a normal price on JRR, or Black Friday?  Hold old are those plugins? 

Going to Cubase. 
Markubl2
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 04:41:45 (permalink)
I love that Blue Tube pack.  May go for the full bundle.   Is that a normal price on JRR, or Black Friday?  How old are those plugins? 

Going to Cubase. 
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 06:51:49 (permalink)
mumpcake
I'm not sure I'm even jumping ship any time soon, but in case I were, I am curious to know what replacements I should make.

For example, the Blue Tube series is locked, but I can get the full version for $79 from JRR.
BREVERB and TH3 are locked, but I could upgrade to the full version.  Plus there are a lot of other options for reverb and amp sims that I already have.

The Blue Tubes plugs are well over ten years old, but yeah, they're still kinda cool. They (and other NF plugins) go on sale periodically, so I wouldn't spring for them at full price just now. 

For console/tape sim, may I suggest TAPEDESK by Overloud, who developed the Sonar console? It's on sale right now and is one of the best console/tape emulators around. Maybe a little pricey (a bit more than a C-note) but well worth it, I think. You'll find the console selections and controls familiar, anyway, and it includes the Neve, Trident, and SSL models.

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
mumpcake
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 08:02:44 (permalink)
I think that is their sale price on BT.  I'm definitely looking at picking that up as I would like to use them in Bitwig.

I didn't know that the console was by Overloud, but I'll have to look at the TAPEDESK.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 08:23:16 (permalink)
The bluetube pack occassionally goes on sale for dirt cheap. I like them enough to use in sonar now and then, but honestly would not have purchased at full price.

I am looking for something similar to concrete limiter
Markubl2
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 15:25:43 (permalink)
They are selling their Full Studio pack for $99.  Is this a good deal?
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 17:14:11 (permalink)
I have a fair level of redundancy on most plugins. I tend to favour the pro channel for the workflow but with T-Racks and stuff from Melda, Waves and others I have some decent options. The one I will particularly miss is the quad curve EQ, but that's down to its interface more than capability and sound.

I may now upgrade T-Racks next time there is a sale.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Eddie TX
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 19:49:04 (permalink)
husker

Oh yeah, I just noticed this at Audio Deluxe. The Integral pack is a big box o' fun. This is the lowest price you're likely to see.

Mind you, these plugins aren't necessarily state-of-the-art. Most are past their prime, frankly. But there are some gems in there -- the Pulse-Tec and All-Tech EQs, Magnetic II, Echoes, all the Blue Tubes stuff ... enough to keep you busy for a while.

Note that this bundle does not include the newer Nomad plugs like Cosmos, Bus Driver, or Analog Studio Rack. You can get those separately at good prices right now, though.

Cheers,
Eddie

batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 19:50:39 (permalink)
i purchased Waves Diamond bundle.

lots of choices there.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Eddie TX
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 20:06:22 (permalink)
dubdisciple

Lots of good options for limiters -- Waves L2 has been the studio standard for years, and it's dirt cheap right now. 

Other contenders include Toneboosters Barricade, HoRNet Magnus, and Vladg Limiter No. 6. 

There's also a pretty good limiter in the free bundle from eaReckon. I'd check that one out first, as it might just be all you need in a simple track/bus limiter.

Cheers,
Eddie

dubdisciple
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 21:36:15 (permalink)
Eddie TX
dubdisciple

Lots of good options for limiters -- Waves L2 has been the studio standard for years, and it's dirt cheap right now. 

Other contenders include Toneboosters Barricade, HoRNet Magnus, and Vladg Limiter No. 6. 

There's also a pretty good limiter in the free bundle from eaReckon. I'd check that one out first, as it might just be all you need in a simple track/bus limiter.

Cheers,
Eddie

I have several if those. Maybe i need to delve deeper into those. I think concretw was go to on busses for so long i got into routine. I did grab softube drawmer s73 . That might also work
dubdisciple
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/25 21:41:10 (permalink)
Eddie..ps, thanks for suggestions
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 15:44:13 (permalink)
Between Slate plugs, and the stock Cubase plug library (which is excellent), I load specialty plugs like Doppler from Waves. I consider the stock plugs in Studio One and Cubase to be of a better quality than the Sonar plugs.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 16:26:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/26 18:39:59
Cakewalk did me a favor by dragging their feet in the early days, concentrating on core functionality rather than add-ons.

Because SONAR lacked a limiter, I became an Ozone user. Because it lacked a dynamic equalizer, I discovered MAutoDynamicEQ. Because it lacked a quality drum sampler, I bought Superior Drummer. Melodyne Studio, all the FabFilter stuff, Valhalla, the bottomless pit that is Kontakt - these things followed because they filled a need that Cakewalk hadn't addressed well. By the time ProChannel came along, I was already using other things.

I would miss the BT Oilcan echo. I've got a great many delays, but none that are quite like it. TTS-1 is another. I don't use it often, but it's something for which I have no replacement, either at hand or in mind.

For tape emulations, there are many alternatives. The old Reelbus from Toneboosters is a good one, and cheap. If you have Ozone Advanced, don't overlook its tape emulator, which is more configurable than most.

One of the best SONAR-only plugins is the Adaptive Limiter. But FabFilter Pro-L is a suitable replacement for that.

Many of Cakewalk's non-ProChannel plugins won't require replacement, as they are portable to another DAW. CA-2A, Boost11, VX-64 Vocal Strip, even my beloved Channel Tools - all work in Mixcraft (which is what I've been using to test portability).

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 16:47:16 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ZincTrumpet 2017/11/26 18:39:56
there's nothing like tts-1 for throwing downloaded midi files at

just a sec

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 16:56:31 (permalink)
for a limiter i always throw wavearts finalplug on the master as a precaution on every project, and their powersuite is a great set of bread'n'butter plugins (covering the sonitusfx stuff pretty much)

just a sec

tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 16:56:59 (permalink)
I’ve been through the process of finding replacements for SOnar plugins for a while, following a decision to switch entirely to Macs and not being entirely happy with what comes with Logic.

So bearing in mind the VST may not be quite the same as the AU version of a plug:-

Cake’s 1176 comp - Waves CLA1176
CA-2A - Waves CLA-2A (Cakewalk’s emulation comes as an AU version which I have and in some ways prefer, but it’s tied to the Cake installer/authoriser so no idea how long it will last of course).
Concrete Limiter - Waves L2. d16’s Frontier is well worth a look as well, sounds very good but isn’t necessarily a good “last thing when mastering” plug.
Chorus/Phasing/Flanging/bit rate reduction - d16.
Delays - PGP Echo, Bozdigital Imperial.
Reverbs - Waves Abbey Road Plate, Valhalla, Eventide (all the Eventide stuff is excellent), Soundtoys LittlePlate (very good indeed at a lighter cpu load than the Waves Plate)..
Tape emulation - Waves Abbey Road J37.
Console emulation - Waves NLS is probably nearest equivalent to the Sonar PC one. There are also loads of complete channel-strip emulations around, other than ones with a strong character like the Waves Abbey Road stuff they tend to be similar as far as I can tell.
BozDigital’s +10dB is very good.
EQ - the Quadcurve eq’s emulation functions go beyond the “default eq” most DAWs have. Replacing that with something that has the emulation curves but also the graphical interface is tricky. I’ve ended up with a bunch of Neve/SSL and Pultec emulators but they do lack the number of bands and versatility of the Sonar one.

I guess I’m mostly using stuff from Waves, Bozdigital, Soundtoys and d16 overall. With Waves in particular I’ve been picking stuff up as it goes on sale at more sensible prices than the full price.

For a TH3 replacement all I can suggest is to get the full version. I don’t use amp emulators much and they’re very much a matter of personal taste as well so no suggestions there.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Eddie TX
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 19:57:25 (permalink)
tlw
EQ - the Quadcurve eq’s emulation functions go beyond the “default eq” most DAWs have. Replacing that with something that has the emulation curves but also the graphical interface is tricky. I’ve ended up with a bunch of Neve/SSL and Pultec emulators but they do lack the number of bands and versatility of the Sonar one.

Have you tried Waves H-EQ? Has several hardware-inspired curves and is pretty decent overall.

Also, the new T-RackS EQual has some of the same functionality, and sounds excellent.

Cheers,
Eddie

jackson white
  • Total Posts : 283
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 21:50:12 (permalink)
Great topic and a useful thread. For whatever reason, tried to make the most out of the SONAR/PC modules and steer clear of things like Waves, T-Racks, etc. Have had basic UAD plugs for some time but only used the EMT140 on a regular basis. Expect to be digging into their buss compressors a bit more going forward.  

Adaptive Limiter >> starting to work with Eventide Elevate, appears to have potential.  

CA-2A >> We can use the standalone version, right? (To be confirmed.)

The VLA-3A from Black Rooster is becoming a great go-to, enough so to give their other offerings a good look. 

QuadCurve EQ >> any suggestions appreciated. Fab Filter noted for quality, usability (and price?). Found Melda to be useful, perhaps MAutoDynamicEQ could be a candidate?  

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 22:10:18 (permalink)
bitflipper
TTS-1 is another. I don't use it often, but it's something for which I have no replacement, either at hand or in mind.

It is a shame that TTS-1 was left as a DXi, rather than migrated to VSTi.  Other than using a hardware rompler with a GM mode, such as my old Roland rack unit, there don't seem to be many software options remaining for something that responds to MIDI patch change messages in the GM spec.

But I did run across this in the Halion Sonic SE Operation manual.  Halion Sonic SE is bundled with Cubase Elements.

Program Changes

Determines how HALion Sonic SE handles incoming MIDI program change
messages.
● In GM Mode, program change messages are used to switch programs in the
slots of the multi program rack.
● Select Off to ignore incoming controller change messages.

General MIDI Mode

Select General MIDI Mode to play back MIDI files that have been arranged for
General MIDI sound sets. General MIDI mode supports MIDI program change
messages and preloads a global chorus and reverb effect on AUX FX 1 and 3 for
immediate use.

If General MIDI mode is activated, all loaded programs are removed and the 16
slots are assigned to the 16 MIDI channels. As long as General MIDI mode is active,
the 16 MIDI channels on the MIDI page cannot be changed.

The MediaBay sets an instrument set filter and displays only the General MIDI
sounds. The MIDI program changes 0–127 refer to the corresponding GM Sound
attributes of the MediaBay. This means that you can make any of your sounds
part of the General MIDI sound set by setting the GM Sound attribute on the
corresponding sound.

NOTE

The General MIDI sounds that come with HALion Sonic SE are optimized for fast
loading times. However, larger programs take longer to load.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
dubdisciple
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 22:30:35 (permalink)
Melda autodynamic is a great product. Doesn't offer the emulations if quadcurve but does offer so much more and better value than fabfilter
Kuusniemi
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 490
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/26 23:19:33 (permalink)
mumpcake

I have two to replace TH3: Positive Grid's BIAS (which some are for some reason biased against) and Blue Cat Audio's Destructor. Of course there's Guitar Rig as well, and iZotope's Trash, but that one I find to be better in plain sound mangling than as an amp sim.

Breverb can be bought as a stand alone plugin as well, but there are ample reverbs a plenty. Valhalla DSP reverbs will not break your bank. I've heard good things about this https://www.toneboosters.com/tb_reverb_v4.html but have not tried it myself.

The Blue Tubes pack contains things you can replace with the Melda Free collection https://www.meldaproduction.com/MFreeFXBundle and some Voxengo http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugin-download/ .

As for tape sims... Slate's Virtual Tape Machines. But if you don't want to spend that kind of money then maybe this: https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-tape

Console emulator... MAybe this: https://www.hornetplugins...rnet-channelstrip-mk3/

Composer & Sound Designer at Really Slow Motion, Man Makes Noise,  Epic North,  YleX and Yle Puhe.
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/27 21:03:51 (permalink)
Eddie TX
husker

Oh yeah, I just noticed this at Audio Deluxe. The Integral pack is a big box o' fun. This is the lowest price you're likely to see.

Mind you, these plugins aren't necessarily state-of-the-art. Most are past their prime, frankly. But there are some gems in there -- the Pulse-Tec and All-Tech EQs, Magnetic II, Echoes, all the Blue Tubes stuff ... enough to keep you busy for a while.

Note that this bundle does not include the newer Nomad plugs like Cosmos, Bus Driver, or Analog Studio Rack. You can get those separately at good prices right now, though.

Cheers,
Eddie

I have the NF integral bundle II - Cosmos IS in the bundle.   I really like a lot of them.
* Now includes Nomad Factory product, "Cosmos". 
http://store.dontcrack.co...fo.php?products_id=898

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
Eddie TX
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/27 21:12:50 (permalink)
Thanks, I wasn't aware they added Cosmos to the bundle. Makes it a better deal, for sure!

Cheers,
Eddie

Markubl2
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/27 21:29:04 (permalink)
Hmmm.    Neither the Nomad Factory site nor AudioDeluxe show Cosmos included.  I wonder if this is just at dontcrack?   If Cosmos is included, I probably would buy!

I would prefer to get at AD though..
cityrat
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 671
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/28 01:08:23 (permalink)
husker
Hmmm.    Neither the Nomad Factory site nor AudioDeluxe show Cosmos included.  I wonder if this is just at dontcrack?   If Cosmos is included, I probably would buy!

I would prefer to get at AD though..

go to the "dontcrack" link - it's included.  I bought the $99 bundle and the unlock DID include unlocking COSMOS. 
Pretty sure it's included now standard, but yes - I did buy at "dontcrack" just to make sure.

BTW - they (dontcrack) have a "freebie" Xpand!2  for $0
http://store.dontcrack.com/product_info.php?products_id=2954

Sonar Platinum | Windows 7 64 bit SP1 | Intel i5 3570 3.4GHz | 8GB RAM | Gigabyte GA-B75-D3H | OCZ SSD | RME 9632
mcdoma2000
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re: What are you replacing the SONAR-only plugins/PC Modules with? 2017/11/28 01:53:35 (permalink)
Regarding TTS-1, Mr. Anderton made a post in the recent past (maybe today) that showed a workaround to access DXI plugs.

i7-920 24GB Ram
Windows 10 x64
SONAR Platinum x64
Focusrite 18i20
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1