What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
davidchristopher
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1360
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 08:38:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bandasound
and with the dual opteron or 64bit athlon you would have enough CPu headroom to compensate for a dSP card......
anyone have a rig like this?
just a thought.....I think there is always a way to do better or even best! at the same price.
thats what i would do....and you can interchange..not just for sonar but steinberg...whatever....

Ok, not comparing the software front ends- because I'm really not a fan of the ProTools software - the dual opteron you speak of still will be unable to 'touch' an HD2 system. ProTools/TDM - guarantees the track count. TDM dsp plug ins operate with very little or no latency. It's a true real-time-system. ICON consoles and the like is candy- it's very NICE candy- but candy none-the-less. So, no, a fully equpped Opteron system isn't quite there yet. The TDM dsps are not really that 'powerful'- but their utilization is very efficient.

This is coming up weekly now. Native users seem to have DSP envy. We've almost gotten to the point that we're talking about ProTools more than the DUC is.

David Bistolas
www.bistolas.net
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 10:31:22 (permalink)

This is something I posted not so long ago in another forum: (The prices were researched at the time).

* 1 x quad dual-core AMD PC with the right ram and harddisk. This gives you enough power to run 200 tracks at 64 samples of latency and a bucket full of plugins. Cost? 6000 Euro.

* 2 x Sydec Mixpander cards ===> 128 inputs + 128 outputs in MADI/ADAT/TDIF/AES/EBU/Analogue formats or a mix of these. 18 DSP chips giving you 2x128 channel digital real-time mixer with zero latency. Enough processing power to run 20 TC Reverbs, 120 dynamics processors (gate/expander/compressor/limiter), 600 bands of fully parametric EQ, 12 TC Dynamizers and 60 delay based effects simultaneously with zero latency. Cost of these two cards + I/O? 5990 Euro.

<SNIP>

Cost so far? 12500 Euro. To put things into perspective, you need at least 4 192 I/O cards for the I/O for the above mentioned project. List price 16000$. An HD3 system is listed at 14000$ so that is allready 30000$ for PT and you need to factor in the PC, SYNC I/O etc.

As we have so much change left over compared to a PT rig, we can throw in a Magma PCI epxanssion box with a few PowerCores and UAD-1s into our setup for good measure and access to some nice plugins not available in native format. We can also throw in the entire Waves suite, the entire Voxengo suite, Algorithimx, URS and Sonalkis plugins.

This give you MUCH MORE processing power than any PT rig . If somehow this isn't enough, the quad dual core AMD can be expanded with 4 more dual-core processors on a daughter board. You can also add more mixpander cards. Imagine the upgrade path we are talking about...

Things to keep in mind: PT is not zero latency. It is typicaly 64 samples. The same can be achieved in Sonar with the right gear. For Monitoring, the Mixpander card will beat PT by a long shot. It runs all the plugins with less than 1 sample of latency. As close to real-time as you can get in the digital world.

Now all of the above just talks about raw processing power. For actual use I like both platforms for different tasks. When composing music, I much prefer the workflow of Sonar (no explanation needed on this forum).

For audio post production, I prefer ProTools. I prefer its automation setup. I like the fact that you have graphical time stretching. (Just drag the edge of a clip and it gets time-stretched). I like the fact that the video follows whatever you do. So you drag the edge of a clip to lengthen/time-stretch/fade/move it and your video follows frame by frame. This is essential for post-production. The integration with Avid tools is also very good in the post world (where Avid dominates). The hardware control integration is also better (albeit at a cost). Vocalign[1] and beatdetective are other nice tools not available for Sonar.

There are also alot of high-end plugins available for ProTools although this is changing. UAD, TC PowerCore, Mixpander and such are making a large dent in this advantage too. There are probably other things but those are the ones that come to mind.

UnderTow

[1] Maybe V-Vocal can be adapted to do the same thing as Vocalign.
Dave Modisette
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11050
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 12:50:20 (permalink)
As to weather you can make better music? Thats got f-all to do with the platform. But if you run a commercial studio Pro Tools will earn you far more clients, on its own it can make the phone ring. To a degree.
This has a value. I may not like it but evidently it's the way it is. Fortunately I'm not making my mortgage payment by way of music income so I have the advantage of using whatever I like even if it does affect my money making ability. If I had to put my studio to full time business use, PT would just be one more tool required to make the business survive.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Harvey Cedars
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1225
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 12:54:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jweldinger

Here's a question that pops up frequently, and I just accidently came across the definitive answer while surfing the net. I thought I'd share it with you...

Find out here.

NOTE: This topic is not intended to start or promote any time of flame wars.

Empty your bank account much better
bermuda
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2271
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 12:54:56 (permalink)
What can Pro Tools do that Sonar Can't

Annoy the crap out of me by launching numerous

1) comparison threads

2) explanations that pro tools LE is not really pro tools

Yes.
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 12:56:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bandasound

im not one to be product loyal....a chevy or a ford will get me to town and back ...maybe not a crysler ....lets say that crysler is likeband-in-a-box...(tools>laughs>export laugh)....but anyways...how about this.... any native daw except protools... of coarse Sonar 5 or Nuendo or Sequioa or SX3
with this:
Apogee Converters Ad 8 channel deal
ADI or Avalon Preamps X2
some nice Digital in 192khz / 24 bit
Mackie Control
a Dual Opteron with 3 gigs or ram ...raid SATA2 500 gig redundant blah blah blah
you get the point.....and look at about $15k would be better than a pro tools HD rig.
and with the dual opteron or 64bit athlon you would have enough CPu headroom to compensate for a dSP card......

anyone have a rig like this?
just a thought.....I think there is always a way to do better or even best! at the same price.

thats what i would do....and you can interchange..not just for sonar but steinberg...whatever....

I think one of the selling points of the HD system is it's modular and therefore it's scaleable to the needs of each user. On the extreme end, let's say you were scoring a studio film, mixing 100 tracks with real-time fx on each one, etc. that might tax even a dual opteron.
j boy
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 13:03:48 (permalink)
I've seen articles about big-time studios that use ProTools in the control room, however, they have a small studio space somewhere dedicated to composition, with keyboards laid out and everything, and the DAW there would be native using Cubase/Logic/SONAR based on the strengths of their MIDI features. Sort of a "horses for courses" thing.
ooblecaboodle
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2102
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 13:26:40 (permalink)
I still believe that the only real challenger to Pro-tools in the near future is Pyramix. It really is washing over Europe like a tidal wave. It has all the plus points of Protools, with a modern interface, and absolutely OODLES of horsepower. It also interfaces with some really nice gear, such as the Smart console, putting it in the same solution category as Protools HD, but for less money. Oh, and the optional Sphynx converters for pyramix, are already being used in mastering, so no quibbles about sound quality there then!
kstevege
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 15:10:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: johnnymosh

Result in a second mortgage?

Ha!!
post edited by kstevege - 2006/02/28 15:19:09

Steve
joseph.barron
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 16:46:46 (permalink)
Jake68 has given one of the best comparisons of these products. And unlike Frank Coffey, he did not resort silly statements like:

"ProTools is the industry standard."

PT has a very large market share. And that is likely to remain the case. But unlike Microsoft, PT can't force competitors out of the market. But if we as Sonar users mis-label PT as the 'industry standard', we are going to find less and less hardward support in the future. This is what is going to kill Sonar.

I absolutely dispise this label. We should avoid using it, at all costs. I've seen what it can do.

Regards,

ORIGINAL: Jake68

I am not a Pro Tools user nor endorsee. But Pro Tools can actually do quite a bit that Sonar cant. Im afraid. Or not, actually because Im not actually afraid.
However...

Pro Tools is a complete DSP audio solution that can place no strain on the host CPU, its a real time mixing environment that can utilize BOTH host and TDM hardware at mimal latency. So you can record with FX in real time as if it was a giant mixing desk and tape machine with racks of effects all rolled into one with no latency.

Pro Tools NON TDM LE, etc etc. Is total crap. Dont use it, its not Pro Tools.

Pro Tools has a large (sorry extremely large) market share for a very good reason. It may not look so hot (to some) it may not have the workflow you require but it is an awesome complete tool. It also is great for creating beats and analysing beats and in this area also is better than Sonar, which is still uses an incomplete method for extracting timing. Yes guys it is actually incomplete. Trust me. Or dont, I dont mind, however I have exchange a few mails with Cakewalk about whats missing and they know about it.

If you have Pro Tools, you wont need a DSP solution, you dont need a mixing desk just Pre's and I/O, and you will no doubt be provided with first class ADDA.

If you have Sonar you will require a monitoring solutions, possibley a DSP platform depending on your choice of hardware, and you will have to spend some serios money to get world class I/O.

Its actually aguable which is cheaper. But Sonar is by a margin depending on your stance.

As to weather you can make better music? Thats got f-all to do with the platform. But if you run a commercial studio Pro Tools will earn you far more clients, on its own it can make the phone ring. To a degree.

Now, I know you guys are Sonar devotees and thats great, but objectivity doesnt require a great analytical mind, just a short observational skill and possibly many hours sat in front of all this stuff as a jobber like myself. Its not so much that Sonar is incomplete, its more like Pro Tools has been at it forever!

And remember, if you arent using TDM you arent using Pro Tools. In fact if I was them I would call it something else (or maybe not !?)_

Joseph Barron
Golden Retriever Studios
www.duncanmchenry.com

Sonar 5 PE
Jake68
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 224
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 18:00:53 (permalink)
The more I work with native the more I love it. But the more I come to realise that it has a major failing that will be with us for at least another couple of years if not more.

Latency. PT TDM 64 samples? Are you sure? I would take advice on that however as I am not. But one important factor to consider is this, that 64 samples latency can survive the entire life of a project. I still dispute pure native's ability to run 64 samples and 200 tracks for a project lifetime. In fact I dispute on a professional basis, if you dont mind.

Sydec / Soundscape. WHAT A PRODUCT...Man I love that stuff, its the next purchase on my setup. And that I know works on 4 samples yes 4 samples! It completely bypasses the shortfallings of native aside from one major failing which I am prepared to overlook.
Instruments!...lack of instruments and lack of mass third party plugin support. Hopefully that will come. The ability to choose hardware (nearly) and software is a big big plus.

Back to the original topic, yes there are a few major things that Sonar cant do compared to PT TDM, but that why TDM cost so much money!
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 18:06:24 (permalink)
.. thought this was a humorous thread .. but i see it morphed into a real one ;-) ..

i think jake's statement about non-TDM being "not ProTools" is a bit much. Digi has
been migrating features from HD down to LE and M-powered. In fact, they're doing
this as "add-ons" with the MusicKit and the DV-kit. The multi-track beat detective
will be part of MusicKit. Digi is actively "pushing down" (for lack of a better
term) into Sonar's and Cubase's space by making LE and TDM more powerful.
i use all three .. and i have to say the difference from a GUI / usage point of view
is nearly identical. certainly the power of an HD means the big mixes get done
there .. but i use my laptop for tweaks ... and will do more when musickit is
out.

he's also right about the realtime nature . but i'm not sure it's that much of a difference
with Sonar's gapping work (as of 4.0.4 / 5 ). you can change parameters in PT ... but .. you can't
add or remove inserts without stopping playback. as of PT 7, the RTAS inserts will make
use of multi-CPU hardware. if you use a lot of inserts, then you often have to raise your
buffer size .. which lags the realtime by some amount .. this is true even with the TDM
hardware.

i guess the most important note is that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference on
your music ... i use pretty much the same plug-ins in Sonar as I do in PT . they
sound pretty much the same ... people make it out to be a bigger difference than
i think it really is .. be happy with what you've got because it's a great platform.

jeff
Jake68
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 19:00:23 (permalink)
Dude, I keep trying to make this point.

The strength of TDM is its ability to be a real time live mixing environment, that is one of the reasons that it has so much product intergration with surfaces IO and pres etc and what makes it such a complete product.

Pro Tools LE is not real Pro Tools because it cant do this. Not because it doesnt have beat detective.
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 19:06:09 (permalink)
i understand your point .. but with multi CPU RTAS support, a surface
like Project MIX I/O and M-powered ... the prosumer has many of the
same capabilities you attribute to TDM. TDM is certainly more powerful,
but they're moving functionality down ... the jump isn't as big as
it was...

jeff
post edited by jmarkham - 2006/02/28 19:11:17
newfuturevintage
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1848
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 19:28:44 (permalink)
Okay, okay, so if someone offered a dedicated "black box" on which you could offload a lot of Sonar processing, would you buy it? Would that make people happier? Would they shut t/f up?

only if you jammed said box down their throats. Sideways.

My inner child is an angry drunk.
joseph.barron
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 09:30:29 (permalink)
Back to the original topic, yes there are a few major things that Sonar cant do compared to PT TDM, but that why TDM cost so much money!

To me, this comparison is of no concern. Its been said in this thread and others, but I don't blame the shortcomings of my songs on the tools. Sonar is a capable and fairly stable product, that appears to be improving. We invest so much time (and money, but that's not as important to me) into the tools. Learning, tweaking and building our catelog of projects.

My fear is that like other products, Cakewalk throws in the towel (or is purchased by a competitor) and Sonar dies on the vine. Then I'll have to go out and learn a new tool.

When people call PT the Industry Standard, there are those who will jump over to the LE version just because they want to avoid what the view is the inevitable death of the Non-Industry Standard. Others will pick PT LE over Sonar when entering the market because this label is so carelessly used, especially in the press. They will get the inferior LE product over Sonar, because it has the PT label on the box. This will hasten the demise of Sonar.

Regards,

Joseph Barron
Golden Retriever Studios
www.duncanmchenry.com

Sonar 5 PE
Noah330
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 587
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 10:02:33 (permalink)
There are many reasons people use ProTools. I have a TDM rig and I have had a PT setup in some way since about 1995 or 1996.

Sonar is a great program and for the money (and even compared to some programs that cost more) it's great. It is not ProTools, nor has it been designed to be. ProTools has many advantages over other DAWs simply because the configuration is so solid. You're running software/hardware that plays nice together and a lot o the little things you have to deal with (even with a well-configured system) with Cubase or Sonar are non-existant.

One of the biggest pluses of ProTools is that you can eliminate plug-in latency and line up all your tracks so that everything is exactly where it should be. A few samples of latency here and there may not seem like much, but when everything is truly in sync things start to sound great. Another major plus is that some of the best 3rd party developers make TDM or RTAS plugs that are simply not availible in VST or Direct X formats. Altiverb comes to mind, and there are many more.

The reason I have a TDM rig is simply becasue 90% of the people I work with use ProTools and exchanging projects is easy.

This is a Sonar forum and a lot of the people here are biased towards PCs or Sonar or whatever, but the only DAW that I could see ever getting a share of Digis market would be Nuendo. I think Cakewalk could make a killer app if they looked at Nuendo and made a new product to compete. IMHO Sonar kills Cubase (much of the reason I think this is personal preference) but it really can't compete with Nuendo (look at all the video features you have with Nuendo - Cakewalk simply doesn't make a product that offers these features).

Cakewalk fills a niche market in that they offer a great DAW at a fair price that allows people to make great recordings. I think that's something we can all agree on. Unfortunatly, many of their competitors have deeper pockets these days (Digidesign is owned by Avid, Steinberg by Yamaha). It seems like MOTU and Cakewalk are the only companies still owned by a small group. It will be interesting to see what happens. Sometimes a big company ruins things. If you remember StudioVision - a program made by Opcode back in the 90's - it was light years ahead of everything else at the time until Opcode was bought by Gibson and stopped making software.

darc
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 764
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 10:36:13 (permalink)
All good points, but... The funny thing is that most clients who would ask "do you have ProTools" are really using the name in the generic sense. They wouldn't think to say "do you have digital audio workstations", nor do they know the name of competing products. If you were to answer the question, "Yes... well, actually we use Sonar which works out better for us, but they're equivalent products..." the average client would be happy as a clam. (Unless they were hoping for "No, we do everything on 4" analog tape.")
UnderTow
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 10:57:35 (permalink)

You make some good points. A few comments:

ORIGINAL: Noah330

One of the biggest pluses of ProTools is that you can eliminate plug-in latency and line up all your tracks so that everything is exactly where it should be. A few samples of latency here and there may not seem like much, but when everything is truly in sync things start to sound great.

This is actually a point in favor of Sonar. Sonar had full automatic plugin delay compensation before Pro tools.

Another major plus is that some of the best 3rd party developers make TDM or RTAS plugs that are simply not availible in VST or Direct X formats. Altiverb comes to mind, and there are many more.

This argument goes both ways. There are many many more plugins available in DX and VST format that are not available in TDM or RTAS format. Altiverb is an interesting example as there is the free SIR reverb and Sonar includes Perfect Space. Altiverb is expensive.

As for "high-end" plugins, Algorythmix develope their plugins in DX format first. There is also alot of plugins available on the UAD, Mixpander and PowerCore platforms. The "plugin advantage" of TDM isn't what it used to be. (Although I would love to have the CraneSong Phoenix in another format ...)

The reason I have a TDM rig is simply becasue 90% of the people I work with use ProTools and exchanging projects is easy.

This is the best argument for Pro Tools (including LE).

This is a Sonar forum and a lot of the people here are biased towards PCs or Sonar or whatever, but the only DAW that I could see ever getting a share of Digis market would be Nuendo. I think Cakewalk could make a killer app if they looked at Nuendo and made a new product to compete. IMHO Sonar kills Cubase (much of the reason I think this is personal preference) but it really can't compete with Nuendo (look at all the video features you have with Nuendo - Cakewalk simply doesn't make a product that offers these features).

Indeed. Alot of people talk about making music in this thread but they seem to forget the whole post-production and composing to video side of things. CakeWalk obviously want to be in that market too but Sonar isn't up to speed yet in that departement.

Cakewalk fills a niche market in that they offer a great DAW at a fair price that allows people to make great recordings. I think that's something we can all agree on. Unfortunatly, many of their competitors have deeper pockets these days (Digidesign is owned by Avid, Steinberg by Yamaha). It seems like MOTU and Cakewalk are the only companies still owned by a small group. It will be interesting to see what happens. Sometimes a big company ruins things. If you remember StudioVision - a program made by Opcode back in the 90's - it was light years ahead of everything else at the time until Opcode was bought by Gibson and stopped making software.

Aye. This is a tough one. There are very few companies that I would like to see Twelve Tone be partners with. (Roland isn't one of them). And even less that have deep pockets. Yamaha was one I had in mind untill they bought Steinberg. (Smart move on their part). There are a few small ones like Sydec but they are really competitors so I don't see that happening unfortunately. (Although they could give Nuendo a serious run for their money if they did). MOTU is just too Apple centric but that could be an advantage is there is no direct competition. Other companies that I respect are simply too small to compete with the likes of Yamaha and Avid.

UnderTow

j boy
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 16:17:54 (permalink)
...why does Cakewalk need to be everything to everybody?

<sorry, david that wasn't supposed to be a reply to your post but to UnderTow's>
post edited by j boy - 2006/03/01 16:29:36
Jake68
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 16:25:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

it was...

jeff

There may not be an jump in terms of whats possible with any latency.
But thats not the point. The point is that PT TDM's limited latency is available from beginning of project to end of project.

I use TDM on a weekly basis, at the moment almost daily, LE, M-Powered etc. IS NOT THE SAME. Its not as smooth and its incurred latency scales throughout the life of the project. But as I keep saying there is a two year lag in this tech. What you are seeing is Digi's projected expectation that TDM is loosing its relevance, but what I am saying is that its not their yet. So for a while to come TDM with have a notable lead.
Jake68
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 16:29:43 (permalink)
Oh...and Sonar does have to be everything to everybody.

If your competitor has a fast functional ability built into his product that you have to have it in yours.

In terms of price and function we got Cubase and Sonar on a product level.

In terms of neither price nor function Pro Tools and Sonar are not being sold into the same market.
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 17:03:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmarkham

it was...

jeff

There may not be an jump in terms of whats possible with any latency.
But thats not the point. The point is that PT TDM's limited latency is available from beginning of project to end of project.

I use TDM on a weekly basis, at the moment almost daily, LE, M-Powered etc. IS NOT THE SAME. Its not as smooth and its incurred latency scales throughout the life of the project. But as I keep saying there is a two year lag in this tech. What you are seeing is Digi's projected expectation that TDM is loosing its relevance, but what I am saying is that its not their yet. So for a while to come TDM with have a notable lead.

i have an HD . and there is a point where M runs out of gas .. so, i guess we're in violent agreement ;-) .. just wait though....
jeff
j boy
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 17:14:25 (permalink)

Oh...and Sonar does have to be everything to everybody.

If your competitor has a fast functional ability built into his product that you have to have it in yours.

Although both are well-designed products, a Land Rover won't do everything a Ferrari will do (and vice versa), nor would it be reasonable to expect that it would. There's a place for both in the scheme of things.
Richard Brian
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3519
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 18:32:21 (permalink)

NOTE: This topic is not intended to start or promote any time of flame wars.

Well, Joe, so much for that idea.
Noah330
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/01 21:30:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: UnderTow

You make some good points. A few comments:

One of the biggest pluses of ProTools is that you can eliminate plug-in latency and line up all your tracks so that everything is exactly where it should be. A few samples of latency here and there may not seem like much, but when everything is truly in sync things start to sound great.

This is actually a point in favor of Sonar. Sonar had full automatic plugin delay compensation before Pro tools.

----- Actually, what ProTools does is quite different from ADC for a native system. You can actually see a visual readout of the delay in each channel. There is also an automatic compensation and a way for a user to adjust this themselves. You can also adjust delay compensation on inserts, inputs, auxes, or master faders. This in itself is a feature that makes ProTools 'Sound Better' becasue tracks can be aligned just as they should be. Also, no DSP resources are allocated to this process so you don't tax your system.

Another major plus is that some of the best 3rd party developers make TDM or RTAS plugs that are simply not availible in VST or Direct X formats. Altiverb comes to mind, and there are many more.

This argument goes both ways. There are many many more plugins available in DX and VST format that are not available in TDM or RTAS format. Altiverb is an interesting example as there is the free SIR reverb and Sonar includes Perfect Space. Altiverb is expensive.

As for "high-end" plugins, Algorythmix develope their plugins in DX format first. There is also alot of plugins available on the UAD, Mixpander and PowerCore platforms. The "plugin advantage" of TDM isn't what it used to be. (Although I would love to have the CraneSong Phoenix in another format ...)

------- Actually, you can run VST and Direct X plugs in ProTools using a simple wrapper (much like Cakewalk uses for VST). It costs about $70.00. Altiverb may be expensive, but it sounds great and many people (like me) have an old box running JUST Altiverb. If something sounds great I'm less concerned about cost and more concerned about performance. You can get a G4 for under $500.00. Add Altiverb and he setp pays for itself after mixing a couple tunes.

This is the best argument for Pro Tools (including LE).

Indeed. Alot of people talk about making music in this thread but they seem to forget the whole post-production and composing to video side of things. CakeWalk obviously want to be in that market too but Sonar isn't up to speed yet in that departement.

Aye. This is a tough one. There are very few companies that I would like to see Twelve Tone be partners with. (Roland isn't one of them). And even less that have deep pockets. Yamaha was one I had in mind untill they bought Steinberg. (Smart move on their part). There are a few small ones like Sydec but they are really competitors so I don't see that happening unfortunately. (Although they could give Nuendo a serious run for their money if they did). MOTU is just too Apple centric but that could be an advantage is there is no direct competition. Other companies that I respect are simply too small to compete with the likes of Yamaha and Avid.

----- MOTU is less 'Apple Centric' than Cakewalk is 'PC Centric'. MOTU makes a line of hardware that works on Macs and PCs. I think it's great that TwelveTone and MOTU have stayed small and sill put out a great product but you have to wonder how TwelveTone will fair now that all of their direct competitors (MOTU, Steinberg, Digidesign) are all integrating hardware and software to work together. Steinberg has a whole line of products out or coming out with Yamaha's mLan thingy, MOTU has a ton of interfaces as does Digi. Everytime Cakewalk has tried to do this it hasn't worked out (remember the Peavey Mix system?).

I don't think platform matters much. Most people who are making music as a living work on both platforms. Many of my die hard Mac friends have a box running XP/GS3 and many of my Windows buddies run Altiverb or DP4 on a Mac.

Platform defintly matters in the hobbyist/home market but in the pro market most people will buy a machine to run a piece of software. Personally I like Macs and PCs about the same and work on both every day. I'm really indifferent about the whole thing.

Good ponts though, thanks for an intellegent reply

UnderTow
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/02 05:15:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: j boy

...why does Cakewalk need to be everything to everybody?

That is one hell of a typo when you meant to write "I am not interested in that side of things".

All kidding aside, they need to because otherwise they won't survive.

UnderTow
UnderTow
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/02 05:56:54 (permalink)

----- Actually, what ProTools does is quite different from ADC for a native system. You can actually see a visual readout of the delay in each channel. There is also an automatic compensation and a way for a user to adjust this themselves. You can also adjust delay compensation on inserts, inputs, auxes, or master faders. This in itself is a feature that makes ProTools 'Sound Better' becasue tracks can be aligned just as they should be. Also, no DSP resources are allocated to this process so you don't tax your system.

Well I don't quite see how this is better. In Sonar it is completely transparant and everything is sample accurately synced. My point was that Sonar had this before PT had any latency compensation. Digidesign isn't leading in all areas.

What advantage advantage is there in seeing the values and being able to adjust them? I have never felt the need to adjust values in PT. I have only ever felt the need to either turn PDC on or off for recording. Maybe I am missing something.

What I do miss in Sonar is external latency compensation for using external gear and automatic AD converter latency compensation for recording.

------- Actually, you can run VST and Direct X plugs in ProTools using a simple wrapper (much like Cakewalk uses for VST). It costs about $70.00. Altiverb may be expensive, but it sounds great and many people (like me) have an old box running JUST
Altiverb. If something sounds great I'm less concerned about cost and more concerned about performance. You can get a G4 for under $500.00. Add Altiverb and he setp pays for itself after mixing a couple tunes.

True. The FXPansion wrapper does the trick nicely. As for Altiverb on another box, that can be combined with any DAW.
But do you feel that Altiverb sounds much better than Perfect Space? I have never used it. On PT I have only used the Waves convolution reverb. (And SIR with FXpansion before that).

----- MOTU is less 'Apple Centric' than Cakewalk is 'PC Centric'. MOTU makes a line of hardware that works on Macs and PCs.

I was refering mainly to their sequencer. CakeWalk are now offering softsynths for the Mac platform so they are not 100% PC centric any more. But I still don't think that MOTU and CakeWalk are direct competitors in the way that CakeWalk and Steinberg are.

I think it's great that TwelveTone and MOTU have stayed small and sill put out a great product but you have to wonder how TwelveTone will fair now that all of their direct competitors (MOTU, Steinberg, Digidesign) are all integrating hardware and software to work together. Steinberg has a whole line of products out or coming out with Yamaha's mLan thingy, MOTU has a ton of interfaces as does Digi. Everytime Cakewalk has tried to do this it hasn't worked out (remember the Peavey Mix system?).

Yeah I have a StudioMix here. Got it cheap for 99 Euro when Thomann was getting rid of its stock. But CakeWalk are now also offering audio interfaces. Unfortunately they are Edirol boxes which are for the consumer market. Not for the pro market. Apple are also partnering with Appogee which has a much more professional reputation. So CakeWalk is lagging behind for the pro market. They need a solid partner to compete in this market. (Sydec? )

I don't think platform matters much. Most people who are making music as a living work on both platforms. Many of my die hard Mac friends have a box running XP/GS3 and many of my Windows buddies run Altiverb or DP4 on a Mac.

Platform defintly matters in the hobbyist/home market but in the pro market most people will buy a machine to run a piece of software. Personally I like Macs and PCs about the same and work on both every day. I'm really indifferent about the whole thing.

Ah I see what you mean. In this sense the CakeWalk and MOTU DAWs are indeed in direct competition.

Although I agree that platforms are less important in the pro market they are still relevant. I see alot of PT studios switching to PCs because of cost advantages. Actually the bigger studios are switching or have switched faster than the small studios because they have better cost management and often have Avid suites that are now running on PCs. Bulk ordering of PCs is another cost advantage.

In this sense CakeWalk have an advantage as they are allready on the cheaper computing platform.

Good ponts though, thanks for an intellegent reply

You too.

UnderTow
Noah330
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/02 07:37:13 (permalink)
Undertow,
Cakewalk has an automatic ADC and it works pretty good. The problems happen when you are using a VST wrapper and/or a bunch of 3rd party plugs. If you are using only the included plugs it's no as big a deal but you are really relying on a native system to determine latency on third party hardware and software. A big advantage with a TDM rig is that the hardware and software know exactly what latencies are introduced and how to compensate. When using a third party plug, you have the option to adjust the DC. While this may not seem like a big deal, it certainly has solved a lot of issues for me in the past. As I have said, once everything is correctly lined up your mixes will have a depth and clarity that is impossible to acheive without having these parameters. When working with third party DSP accelerators (UAD-1, Powercore, etc...) you are also dealing with your machine's bus speed so you really can run into some strange issues. I like having the option to manually adjust these settings.

I have used the VST wrapper in ProTools and haven't really had any more/less issues than I have had using VST plugs with the Cakewalk wrapper (the major downfall of S5 IMHO is NATIVE VST SUPPORT). We could debate the difference in quality between native and TDM plugs, but that's another discussion. I can tell you that UA's TDM versions of the UAD-1 plugs sound much better IMHO and you don't run into load issues (another problem with mixing in a native enviroment).

I don't know if more studios are going PC or not. I spoke to Chuck Ainley a few weeks back and he uses a PC with Nuendo but I know he's also running a bunch of G5's despite what AMD and Steinberg may want you to believe. Again, the difference in price between a Mac and PC is a lot smaller than some people would believe. Add in the fact that Apple has really worked hard to make CoreAudio a fully integrated part of OSX (I wish Microsoft would get on THAT bus!) and the cost becomes less of a factor. It's really a beautifull thing when you have a format like AU that is tied to your OS when compared to VST. If you're paying people to maintain the machines and depending on them to make your money, a little extra doesn't really figure into the equasion.

If you haven't used Altiverb you really should check it out. It is expensive when compared to other reverbs, but IMHO it's probably the best software reverb out there.

I should probably e honest and show my cards, as I am a Digidesign Development Partner and am also involved with Cakewalk, Steinberg and UA in various capacities.

An HD rig that will run 96 *GUARANTEED* tracks can be had for under 10k. Add a Mac/PC and we're talking about 12k. This may seem like a lot to some people, but if you figure the cost of S5, an interface, pres, plugs (Digi gives tons of useable plugs to TDM users), etc... ProTools becomes a lot more affordable. It's still more money, but when you figure you're compatible with everyone else in town and can offer post for film (where the real money seems to be these days) the value of a TDM rig becomes evident. Ad in the fact that you can TRADE IN your PT stuff towards future products seals the deal.

Sonar and Cubase are great. One is not *better* than the other. I like S5 better because I have used it for so long and I am used to the workflow. Sonar was not designed to compete with Nuendo (the only serious PT competitor - esp with all the hardware YAMAHA has planned) and ProTools.

That being said, if I was a guy or girl who wanted to make my wn cds or compose music at home and wasn't worried about landing mixes or film scoring gigs I would own S5 and love it. It's an amazingly simple program to use that sounds really good and runs stable.

I wish Cakewalk would introduce a version of Sonar that had the video features of a Nuendo type product. Just my 2 cents.
Rednroll
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/03/02 09:47:36 (permalink)
If you remember StudioVision - a program made by Opcode back in the 90's - it was light years ahead of everything else at the time until Opcode was bought by Gibson and stopped making software.

That's definately a sore topic with me since Studio Vision was my first music creation software I ever used. To this day, I find it does things on the midi sequencing side that Sonar still can not do. That partnership was tied into the development of the Gibson digital guitar, and since the original development failed, then so did the need for a good midi sequencer software package. R.I.P. Opcode. Now what really discourages me today is that I see Gibson relaunching this digital guitar and now you see topic discussions in this forum about Cakewalk teaming up with Gibson on a collaborative basis. Maybe this is a good thing, at least that's what both parties are leading you to believe. That's also the same discussions of how it all started with Gibson and Opcode. Gibson, collarborating with a software developer like Cakewalk.....be afraid.....be very afraid Sonar users. Ask Gibson whatever happened to Studio Vision? They still own the rights to it, so why don't they revive that development just like they did with their digital guitar? Oh....probably because they fired everyone from Opcode, so since they don't develop software they have their sites on hiring a new software development team......<cough>...Cakewalk.
post edited by Rednroll - 2006/03/02 09:57:04
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1