What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
jweldinger
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
2006/02/27 12:36:16 (permalink)

Here's a question that pops up frequently, and I just accidently came across the definitive answer while surfing the net. I thought I'd share it with you...

Find out here.

NOTE: This topic is not intended to start or promote any time of flame wars.

151 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 12:42:29 (permalink)
    For those who come after me, this is a humorous retort and not signifant information.

Just wanted to save you the time I spent. (Which wasn't all that much)

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 12:47:03 (permalink)
    Most people don't need or use 90% of the features of any DAW. What ProTools can do that Sonar can't do right now is bring in customers to a for hire studio. ProTools is the industry standard and I don't see that changing even if all other DAW software were better. To me DAW software is already doing too much. Many of the so called features are for folks who are lazy or have no talent or both. This has nothing to do with creating a great song, after all many great songs were created before any of this stuff existed. I don't know that I would brag that my software made it easier to "cheat". That would be like putting an autotune logo on the front of your CD. In fact I don't want folks to know a computer was used to produce my CD, it's just music and how it got here is no body's business but mine
    post edited by ohhey - 2006/02/27 12:53:38
    jweldinger
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 12:48:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

For those who come after me, this is a humorous retort and not signifant information.

Sorry,

The scrabble reply was awesome.

pharohoknaughty
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 13:17:47 (permalink)
    Everyone knows that with ProTools you get chicks.
    ohhey
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 13:31:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pharohoknaughty

LOL ! That's just the sound of the hammer on your gun locking into place as you take aim at the computer.. or your head depending on how bad it gets.
    Dave Modisette
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 13:41:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jweldinger

Sorry,

The scrabble reply was awesome.

I thought it was funny too. But I was hoping there was a definitive side by side comparison just for my own education.

My music.
    Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 13:46:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

LOL ! That's just the sound of the hammer on your gun locking into place as you take aim at the computer.. or your head depending on how bad it gets.

That's "chicks" not "clicks".
    ohhey
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 14:27:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Phrauge

ORIGINAL: ohhey

That's "chicks" not "clicks".

Oh... well, that's very different then.. nevermind.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 16:07:22 (permalink)
    First of all, Frank, your take is right-on-the-money IMO. If more *computer musicians* would spend their extra time and effort on writing a better song or mastering that guitar lick that's just beyond their ability, or whatever, they'd be further ahead... instead they ask "my music sucks, so what should I buy next?". Something about carts and horses, don't you think?

Of course, the foregoing commentary applies primarily to musicians who record, not non-musician recording engineer who work for clents to make a living.

Another thought... 'ProTools' encompasses many things to many people, everything from the full blown HD/Accel rig or ICON desk, to the other end of the spectrum with an M-Box running ProTools LE. The advantages of the high-end PT gear seem to me to be based in the hardware more than the software. Off-loading the processing can only be a good thing, since native processors still have some limits. But again, the point is if you're a guy recording his band in a garage, why would you need all that high-falootin' gear? On the other hand, if you're scoring Ron Howard's next film, maybe you do.

johnnymosh
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 16:10:08 (permalink)
    Result in a second mortgage?

We are the knights
    that say NEEEE!!!!
    And we Demand
    A SHRUBBERY!!!!
    jlgrimes
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1639
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 18:47:38 (permalink)
    Both programs serve the same purpose.

However there are some things Sonar can do Pro Tools can't and vice versa but at the end of the day, they are both DAWs.
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 21:10:48 (permalink)
    I thought it was funny too. But I was hoping there was a definitive side by side comparison just for my own education.

Dave ...

Not knocking you in any way, but I wonder if any such comparison which would have any real meaning would ever be possible? Only if one product was just so much better than the other in every box that you'd ever wish to tick, and that clearly isn't the case.

I say this because you need to use software like this pretty intensively and over a long time to be able to really speak on these things with any authority - and even then .... not everybody uses the same features (as Ohhey points out above), so what is genuinely best for one person could be genuinely not best for another. Then there's the subjective aspects.

As an unhappy Cubase user, back around 1998 (I think) I trialled both Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and whatever versions of Pro Tools was around at the time and found the decision to go with Cakewalk a relatively easy one. No doubt others would say the opposite, and they'll be just as right (or wrong) as I am.

Just one other observation. Frank says this:

What ProTools can do that Sonar can't do right now is bring in customers to a for hire studio.

My experience (admittedly living on a small island with a small population) isn't quite this. It's fairly true to say that whenever I do a good job and the customer walks away happy (modesty forbids me from speculating how often that happens ), the customer walks away with a good impression of Sonar as well. The quality of the overall production rubs off on to everybody involved, if you see what I mean. That can be for good or for bad I guess.

Best,
    Geoff
    kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 21:51:57 (permalink)

Put you in the poor house!!!!!!!!
    Dave Modisette
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 22:27:55 (permalink)
    Not knocking you in any way, but I wonder if any such comparison which would have any real meaning would ever be possible? Only if one product was just so much better than the other in every box that you'd ever wish to tick, and that clearly isn't the case.
    I have no problem with that. In fact, I'm very happy with "this product does this very well for people doing that" and "this other product is perfect for that kind of environment". I get worried when a product tries to be all things to all people and pleases no one.

My music.
    Jake68
    • Total Posts : 224
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 22:31:27 (permalink)
    I am not a Pro Tools user nor endorsee. But Pro Tools can actually do quite a bit that Sonar cant. Im afraid. Or not, actually because Im not actually afraid.
    However...

Pro Tools is a complete DSP audio solution that can place no strain on the host CPU, its a real time mixing environment that can utilize BOTH host and TDM hardware at mimal latency. So you can record with FX in real time as if it was a giant mixing desk and tape machine with racks of effects all rolled into one with no latency.

Pro Tools NON TDM LE, etc etc. Is total crap. Dont use it, its not Pro Tools.

Pro Tools has a large (sorry extremely large) market share for a very good reason. It may not look so hot (to some) it may not have the workflow you require but it is an awesome complete tool. It also is great for creating beats and analysing beats and in this area also is better than Sonar, which is still uses an incomplete method for extracting timing. Yes guys it is actually incomplete. Trust me. Or dont, I dont mind, however I have exchange a few mails with Cakewalk about whats missing and they know about it.

If you have Pro Tools, you wont need a DSP solution, you dont need a mixing desk just Pre's and I/O, and you will no doubt be provided with first class ADDA.

If you have Sonar you will require a monitoring solutions, possibley a DSP platform depending on your choice of hardware, and you will have to spend some serios money to get world class I/O.

Its actually aguable which is cheaper. But Sonar is by a margin depending on your stance.

As to weather you can make better music? Thats got f-all to do with the platform. But if you run a commercial studio Pro Tools will earn you far more clients, on its own it can make the phone ring. To a degree.

Now, I know you guys are Sonar devotees and thats great, but objectivity doesnt require a great analytical mind, just a short observational skill and possibly many hours sat in front of all this stuff as a jobber like myself. Its not so much that Sonar is incomplete, its more like Pro Tools has been at it forever!

And remember, if you arent using TDM you arent using Pro Tools. In fact if I was them I would call it something else (or maybe not !?)_
    Jake68
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 22:33:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kb420

Actually Pro Tools, with the right skill and marketting technique and a decent decorator will pay for itself if you are looking for clients. A local friend of mines PT HD3 rig was paid for completely in 3 sessions with money left over for front end.
    bandasound
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 23:10:14 (permalink)
    im not one to be product loyal....a chevy or a ford will get me to town and back ...maybe not a crysler ....lets say that crysler is likeband-in-a-box...(tools>laughs>export laugh)....but anyways...how about this.... any native daw except protools... of coarse Sonar 5 or Nuendo or Sequioa or SX3
    with this:
    Apogee Converters Ad 8 channel deal
    ADI or Avalon Preamps X2
    some nice Digital in 192khz / 24 bit
    Mackie Control
    a Dual Opteron with 3 gigs or ram ...raid SATA2 500 gig redundant blah blah blah
    you get the point.....and look at about $15k would be better than a pro tools HD rig.
    and with the dual opteron or 64bit athlon you would have enough CPu headroom to compensate for a dSP card......

anyone have a rig like this?
    just a thought.....I think there is always a way to do better or even best! at the same price.

thats what i would do....and you can interchange..not just for sonar but steinberg...whatever....

post edited by bandasound - 2006/02/27 23:17:22

hmm....True R&B is like deep fried chicken, greens, and buttered corn bread...
    Spartan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 23:14:43 (permalink)
    hey guys i know that this may be off topic but since you are talking about different sofware and comparing them i thought that i would ask a question about samplitude, i've never used, it how good is it if it is good at all and how does it differ from sonar and pro tools? what can it do better than other software?

Spartan:

Ideas become dangerous when they are put into action
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/27 23:53:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Spartan
    hey guys i know that this may be off topic but since you are talking about different sofware and comparing them i thought that i would ask a question about samplitude, i've never used, it how good is it if it is good at all and how does it differ from sonar and pro tools? what can it do better than other software?

I don't know it as well as Iknow Sonar, but I can tell you that Samplitude is a top drawer product, complete DAW including recording, editing, mixing, mastering, CD and DVD authoring features.

For me, I'm not happy with how it handles automation of parameters for Direct X or even VST plugins ... unless it's changed radically recently, it's not as straightforward, simple and intuitive as Sonar in this respect. This issue is a dealbreaker for me. And then there's the question of that dongle...

But if you wish to know more ....
    http://www.samplitude.com/de/sam.htm

There is a demo available, try it and see what you think. Me, I'm happy with Sonar still.

Best,
    Geoff
    Elson
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 00:47:56 (permalink)
    ...Make clueless newbies think they're professionals?

:)

Elson R. Trinidad (El SONAR Trinidad) :) | Los Angeles, CA, USA
    http://www.elsongs.com | http://www.e-trinity.org
    ohhey
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 00:59:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: kb420

LOL.. that's why I call it Po'Tools .. or was that Po'Fools ?
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 01:11:30 (permalink)
    Has anyone done a side-by-side performance comparison of A)PT HD and a B)Sonar/FX Teleport network?

ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 03:57:59 (permalink)
    A fully spec'd ProTools TDM studio is pretty damn good to work on in a studio when doing multitrack recordings of around 100 tracks maybe? I really don't mind using it for tracking and mixing. I don't, however, mind using Sonar for this either, although Sonar requires more of your computer to run because it hasnt got the hardware features of a PT TDM system. However, Sonar has much better features for creating music, running synths, MIDI etc. I can hook up a Sonar computer (my laptop with multichannel Audio interface for example) with synths and sequences take the differnt outputs and connect to different inputs in a PT studio where Drums and vocals and such are recorded as well. Then maybe take the guitars and vocals elsewhere or whatever. I see Sonar as more of a creative tool and PT as more of a recording sollution. In fact, all you need is Sonar and some plugs.

However, the new ProTools is supposed to have MIDI and all that pretty well laid out now so it should be interesting to see if it catches up to Sonar when it comes to scoring.

Marius
    fcarosone
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 04:28:33 (permalink)
    I am a protools user (at job) and a sonar user (at home).
    Protools has been the first audio multitrack environment around 1990, when Cakewalk Logic and Steinberg did only midi. Thus has gained widespread popularity, it is n. 1 in terms of sales.
    In the years, the gap between the leader of the market and the followers was progressively reduced. Nowadays you can purchase Sonar at 10% the price of Protools and do 90% of what Protools does. More or less is the same argument of the difference between Sonar/Cubase and some entry level multitracks as Magix or Garage Band, there are people who spent much money on something, they will always defend their choices..

The protools pluses that I lack in Sonar at home are nowadays:
    1. Beat detector algorithm (some other already mentioned), really useful - not only with sloppy drums and basses!!
    2. True 3-D support (with multichannel tracks, while Sonar supports only stereo tracks and mix them to a final multi-channel bus).
    Both features are there in protools since 2001 and are not there in Sonar 5 PE nowadays. 5 years in software and technology are many, but I confess I am a happy Sonar user, since most of the music I do at home doesn't need these advanced features.
    Dave Horch
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 04:40:54 (permalink)

...although Sonar requires more of your computer to run because it hasnt got the hardware features of a PT TDM system.

Okay, okay, so if someone offered a dedicated "black box" on which you could offload a lot of Sonar processing, would you buy it? Would that make people happier? Would they shut t/f up?

And ya know... A famous professional golfer named Lee Trevino used to bet people he could beat them in golf playing with only a Dr. Pepper bottle. He won every time. Keep practicing...
    AlesisM51
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 04:56:02 (permalink)

Today the Houston Texans announced that they are looking to trade their #1 pick in the NFL draft (which presumably would have been Reggie Bush) which usually means they are looking to get a bunch of less expensive players. So, what's better? Spending all your money on the best running back in years or spending it on a bunch of good players that may fill other needs on your team? Past results are, as they often like to say, inconclusive.

These discussions involving apples and oranges take place in many areas of our lives and are interesting in a bunch of different ways. For example, the never-ending Mackie versus Behringer mixer debate: is the difference in quality really worth the money?

The only mistake is to believe that we can arrive at a definitive answer that works for everyone, which doesn't mean that we won't continue the search for our version of the holy grail.

Richard
    Jake68
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 06:18:58 (permalink)
    Like I said. Pro Tools TDM is a real time DSP engine.

Native isnt. Not yet. They like you to think it is, but it isnt.

HOWEVER....if you bought Soundscape and combined it with a high end PC, added Beat Detector and a few other things to Sonar then it would be better.

ALSO HOWEVER...the native concept is FAR superiour to TDM as ultimately its scalable, sooner or later we will see the failing relevance of the TDM platform, unless they manage to continually convince the pro audio fraternity that ever more nutty sample rates are required. But I dont think this is gonna happen to be honest. Not at least more than once with a bit of an argument.

Cakewalk other than Steinberg are well placed to take advantage of this situation, because of their customer service relationships. Lets hope they continue to modernise the software, with an improved visual appeal and more than anything components like beat detective etc.
    Spartan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 08:15:38 (permalink)
    don't know it as well as Iknow Sonar, but I can tell you that Samplitude is a top drawer product, complete DAW including recording, editing, mixing, mastering, CD and DVD authoring features.

Hey thanks for the reply

Spartan:

Ideas become dangerous when they are put into action
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    RE: What can Pro Tools do that Sonar can't? 2006/02/28 08:30:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dave Horch

...although Sonar requires more of your computer to run because it hasnt got the hardware features of a PT TDM system.

Okay, okay, so if someone offered a dedicated "black box" on which you could offload a lot of Sonar processing, would you buy it? Would that make people happier? Would they shut t/f up?

And ya know... A famous professional golfer named Lee Trevino used to bet people he could beat them in golf playing with only a Dr. Pepper bottle. He won every time. Keep practicing...

It doesn't need to be black, the TC Powercore or UAD-1 works in Sonar, don't they? I don't mind the native processing, really. And I think these little "black boxes" are on their way eventually, which can be used by everyone at any time on any DAW.

By the way, that golfer makes a good point. I would say that which DAW you choose to use these days, and even more so in the future, depends on ways of working and finances. the only thing that matters is that you can use your system and that it is the music and not the gear that speaks for you.
    post edited by ProjectM - 2006/02/28 08:38:29
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1