Helpful ReplyWhat is "missing" in Reaper DAW?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/29 19:55:15 (permalink)
jbraner
 It's kind of like linux

Exactly! And that's the only thing I don't like about REAPER.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/29 21:42:09 (permalink)
jbraner
Oh, I've been asking away!

I've been playing around finding a theme that I like, and tweaking it a little, and then playing with layouts and screensets - to get a comfortable environment.
It doesn't have to be like SONAR - but I'm just trying to get to know where everything is.

I've got a sore head, so I'm ready to go back to SONAR for a little while and just play music.

Then I'll come back to Reaper, and work on it a little more.

Another cool thing I just learned is you can select some or all tracks, then drag select a chunk of time on the timeline, finally hold control and drag copies of all the stuff that was selected where you want it to happen again. No splitting of clips needed. No copy. No paste. Just drag-n-drop. I don't clone stuff very often, but this is how I'll do it next time I do want to clone a verse or a chorus or something like that.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Soundwise
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1419
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 10:35:57 (permalink)
Another cool thing I just learned is you can select some or all tracks, then drag select a chunk of time on the timeline, finally hold control and drag copies of all the stuff that was selected where you want it to happen again. No splitting of clips needed. No copy. No paste. Just drag-n-drop. I don't clone stuff very often, but this is how I'll do it next time I do want to clone a verse or a chorus or something like that.

Works the same way in Sonar.

Anderton
We are all unique and have our own contributions to make to this planet.

SoundCloud
YouTube
BandLab
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 14:15:24 (permalink)
About Linux... Linux is a core only. For historical reasons, the investment into it in terms of IP and money was huge. The number of people which "tweak" it is small.
What people call "Linux" is one family of OSes which is based on this core (another family is Android, but no-one call Android "Linux", yet another family are consumer devices like TVs/receivers/etc., but most users do not even know they have Linux at home...). Since most software for Linux OS is open source, it is more tweak-able then let say Windows by definition. But most of usual tweaks are the same as in other OSes...
I mean I see not too many similarities between Linux (as a core or as an OS) and Reaper.

Described operation (copy by dragging) has many options. So it can work exactly as someone need it to work, but when someone try it for the first time, it does that "wrong". I think that is primary concern for anyone who does not like the freedom

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 15:49:52 (permalink)
sorry azslow3 - when I said it's like linux, I meant that it's so tweakable, and that users are maybe just a little more geeky (neither of which is a bad thing). Also - it's maybe just a little more "clunky", in the visual dept ;-)

It's just an overall generalisation though - but I do get the feeling that you have to "tweak" a little to get the best out of linux. This is what I'm in the process of working out

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
azslow3
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 16:16:24 (permalink)
jbraner
It's just an overall generalisation though - but I do get the feeling that you have to "tweak" a little to get the best out of linux. This is what I'm in the process of working out

I normally tweak something for new notebooks and a bit specific for server performance. Not really much.
As we know, Windows is also quite bad initially for audio processing. In the mean time, when comparing the time I spend for Windows 10 tuning with Linux installation on dual boot machines, I spend more wall time for Windows (update/reboot/update/... etc. turn off "calling home", indexes and firewall turning) then for Linux (find the page with concrete model specific 3-5 short tweaks).

I have decided to use Reaper default theme. And it took not so long till I am no longer annoyed by its look and feel.

What I think of... is opening CWP files in Reaper, could be awesome, no?

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 16:42:16 (permalink)
Could be awesome indeed

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
jbraner
Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1830
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 18:44:17 (permalink)

Sorry - that was a brain fart. That should have said "to get the best out of Reaper "
DOH!

Anyway - open up a cwp in Reaper? That would be awesome!

John Braner
https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
- Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
- Cakewalk by BandLab x64
- Reaper x64
- 16GB RAM
- Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
- MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
er - that's it I think...
azslow3
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 19:16:06 (permalink)
jbraner
Anyway - open up a cwp in Reaper? That would be awesome!

Reaper API (THEORETICALLY (!)) support extensions which can "build" the project... But I have not found examples when that was used in respect to importing "other DAWs" files.
I am looking throw a crystal ball (called Kaitai) at CWP. So far it shows that (THEORETICALLY(!)) it is possible to extract the information (the information is obviously there, so the investigation was how hard to spot something in all these bits...). I must admit that I have decided to look after reading the thread about ProjectScope. Mark successfully spot tracks, FXes and files. That is a microscopic part of what is required for half useful import, but still.

Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 20:57:45 (permalink)
Soundwise

Works the same way in Sonar.

I never really used copy and paste with Sonar or REAPER, but some Sonar user asked how to do it over in the REAPER forum and upon seeing it, was a feature I'd never seen in REAPER, so it was new to me. I generally try to record and play again any repeats in my songs, because I don't want the repeats of a verse or chorus to sound identical.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 21:20:10 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Not directly on track of the thread here, but wanted to bump a statement made by a forum member who commented on the time shift power of Reaper, saying it was the best in the industry.. [snip] Check it out and experience if you can come remotely close with anything else on the market.

I'm pretty sure Ableton Live also uses Elastique.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
azslow3
Re: What is "missing" in Reaper DAW? 2017/12/30 21:28:22 (permalink)
Anderton
JohnKenn
Not directly on track of the thread here, but wanted to bump a statement made by a forum member who commented on the time shift power of Reaper, saying it was the best in the industry.. [snip] Check it out and experience if you can come remotely close with anything else on the market.

I'm pretty sure Ableton Live also uses Elastique.

And Tracktion Waveform

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1