What's the story on AAS Tassman?

Author
timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2017/08/06 20:36:22 (permalink)

What's the story on AAS Tassman?

I read the review of the AAS Modeling Collection in the SONAR 2017.06 Tech+Music eZine, which offers a 40% discount through August.

I was intrigued by Tassman. I personally like modeling style synthesizers, and have Absynth.  From what Craig wrote about it in the eZine, I thought Tassman sounded interesting. I headed to AAS's site to look for a video or some sample tracks. The first thing I found was the discount there was even bigger than Cakewalk's. Normally $350, now on sale for $100 in August.

Next I checked their forum to see if there is an active user group. I selected "Community", but there doesn't seem to be a forum....

I came back here, and searched in the Sonar forum for Tassman.  Nothing found. Odd, But sometimes the forum search has issues, so I used Google with  site:forum.cakewalk.com tassman.    That's where it gets interesting.
Check out this thread from 2004, where someone is choosing between Tassman 4 and Reactor.  Tassman was at version 4 in 2004, and that is still the current version, 13 years later? Red flag! No wonder it is deeply discounted.
In 2004 we were using Windows XP.   Where was Sonar then? The first iteration after Pro Audio?
Yet the AAS web site says "Windows 7 32‑/64‑bit or later".  So maybe it was re-compiled without changing anything else?
Is anyone using Tassman with Windows 10 64 bit? In Sonar Platinum 2017.7?

Please fill me in - I had never heard of Tassman until Craig's review. I'm going to download the demo and see what it does.

Sonar Platinum Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus 24.4.2AI interface, Korg Kronos2 73

20 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 20:55:29 (permalink)
    It's pretty esoteric but also really powerful...not a mass-market kind of product. You can also get lost in it for days at a time 

As to its age, once you play with it you'll see it's a pretty complete package unto itself. I suppose they could add more modules, but there's already plenty there.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    SmilingCrow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:02:12 (permalink)
    Just because it says version 4 doesn't mean its not now V4.112 or something and they added VST 64-bit support since 2004.
    Old audio software doesn't necessarily age poorly provided it still works with current systems which this seemingly does.
    It had very good reviews then so it still may well be good now.
    They may have just added bug fixes over the last 10+ years.
    Why not just try the demo?
    It's cheaper here in US $ pricing:
    http://everyplugin.com/tassman-4.html

JohnKenn
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1659
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:02:56 (permalink)
    Tim,
    Others may have different advice.
    Have had Tassman for ages. Nice synth, but the one I use least from the AAS stuff. Have Ultra Analog, Lounge Lizard and String Studio. Tassman just faded off my radar. Not that it is not way cool, just that it doesn't fill a niche that has me running to it. 10 years ago Tassman was higher on the pole than it is now.
    The $350 price tag is absurd. 100 dollars is too much unless it strikes you like lightning that it is a must have. Never gave me that ultimate thrill.
    This day and age, likely a hundred bucks that can be better spent. (sorry AAS for a less than stellar opinion)
    John
    SmilingCrow
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:07:48 (permalink)
    JohnKenn
    Tim,
    Others may have different advice.
    Have had Tassman for ages. Nice synth, but the one I use least from the AAS stuff. Have Ultra Analog, Lounge Lizard and String Studio. Tassman just faded off my radar. Not that it is not way cool, just that it doesn't fill a niche that has me running to it. 10 years ago Tassman was higher on the pole than it is now.
    The $350 price tag is absurd. 100 dollars is too much unless it strikes you like lightning that it is a must have. Never gave me that ultimate thrill.
    This day and age, likely a hundred bucks that can be better spent. (sorry AAS for a less than stellar opinion)
    John

I think it's more in the realm of something like Reaktor which is not for everyone.
    Here's a brief yet positive review:
    http://www.soundonsound.c..eviews/aas-tassman-v4.0
    Considering its power for the price of $86.74 that I linked to earlier I'd say it's a bargain if you like modular synth designing.

AAS make some great stuff and I can recommend their bundle:
    http://everyplugin.com/modeling-collection.html
    I bought it on offer and sold Tassman as I already had Reaktor so knew I wouldn't spend much time with it.
    With the bundle all the products are still separate licences which is handy if you want to share them with a friend or sell on.
    I like the way they physically model strings and drums for example and give you so much control.
    Reminds me of what Yamaha used to do many decades ago..
    http://www.soundonsound.c./reviews/aas-chromaphone
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:12:01 (permalink)
    The most recent release is 4.1.8 from Aug 8 2014. There are 32 and 64 bit VST versions of the plug-in. It runs OK in SONAR. The interface is a little old and needs an update. I held out hope for a Tassman 5 for a long time but have pretty much given up. As it is, the synth sounds pretty good but if I were considering buying modular synth plug-in, I would look at NI Reaktor and Softube Modular before committing to Tassman 4.
    timg11
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:27:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick response, Craig. After running the demo, here's what I learned:
    The version number is 4.1.8, and the exe and dlls are dated 2014. 

I added the 64 bit VSTs to the Sonar VST path, but after scanning and restarting Sonar, Tassman was not available as an Instrument.  I removed the 64 bit VST path from Sonar's plugin paths, and added the 32 bit VST path. It re-scanned, but Tassman was still not available as an instrument. Maybe a demo limitation?

Running standalone, Tassman has the "DPI Unaware" problem. On a high resolution, high DPI monitor, text and features are very small, with no setting for zoom or scale factor that I could find.

The Help menu has a choice for "Join the User Forum". That opens the browser to community.applied-acoustics.com/php/forum/, which immediately redirects to https://www.applied-acoustics.com/.  So it looks like there is no forum.

There are a number of "audio processing" features that require an audio input, but the audio settings only selects an audio output. Maybe a demo limitation?

After auditioning a few dozen presets, and looking at the modules, nothing grabs me as amazing. I agree that there is a lot of power available for pushing through the learning curve.

(thanks scook - you posted while I was writing this)

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:39:01 (permalink)
    I remember using that years ago, complex to get your head around although it let me create this really eerie sounding pad synth - almost like a Brian Eno synth choir sound.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 21:58:18 (permalink)
    I have had Tassman since the version bundled with SONAR years ago. Never had any issues with the latest VST but my video is set to 100% @ 1920x1080. It does sound like the demo has a lot of features missing. Still would like to see an updated UI even if it were a paid update.
    timg11
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 22:02:11 (permalink)
    I still haven't decided if I want to buy Tassman, but I have a lot of respect AAS for keeping the program updated over the past 13 or more years of Tassman 4.  (I'm assuming owners have received updates from 4.0 to 4.1.8 at no charge?)

I have owned too many software products that come out with an "upgrade" to a new version every few years that costs at least half of the original purchase price, and really doesn't offer any new functionality beyond working with the latest version of Windows.

scook
    Forum Host
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/06 22:08:49 (permalink)
    Pretty sure 4.1 was free. My Tassman 4 serial number email is from July 2004.
    The forum appears to be gone. I have not looked for it in some time.
    BobF
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 01:27:52 (permalink)
    IIRC, I had Tassman V3 that came with one SONAR or another.  It was very cool, but finicky.  I wanted to really love it, but I guess I didn't because I never did upgrade.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 15:03:42 (permalink)
    Tassman sure makes some great sounds, but the UI could certainly use some love and is the main reason I don't use it more often tbh. It's hard to look at when comparing it against more modern synths and  there is no way I would ever have bought it at full RRP for that reason alone. I got it as part of the modelling collection bundle when that was in no brainer territory sale a few years back, so it was practically free seeing as I was going to buy a couple of the others indivdually anyway.  There hasn't been a forum for years that I have seen, but the customer service is absolutely top notch in my experience, so not really the issue that it could be with other vendors who are maybe not so forthcoming once they have your money.

I was told some time ago that a "new" Tassman was being looked into, but that apparently it isn't an easy job even to just give it a UI makeover because of the common architecture they have moved to with the other synths. If they did it though I'd be all over it if the upgrade price was sensible.

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 17:35:44 (permalink)
    They've been talking about updating it for like a decade, and I'm not kidding.

So I would suggest only considering it as a finished product, with perhaps a few maintenance fixes now and then, and don't hold your breath for a version 5 update until you see tangible evidence of it.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 17:59:30 (permalink)
    Another Tassman owner here. I say "owner" because I never use it as I couldn't be bothered getting my head around it, and I hated the GUI.

A|A|S do some great stuff and I have, and use other modelling instruments of theirs.

Since invested in Reaktor and that is a lot easier to use, IMO, especially with "Blocks."

Their forum has been quiet for so long that I stopped bothering to visit it. However, I have found the guys very helpful when e-mailed and reply, if not within a day, certainly within two.

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 17:59:31 (permalink)
    oops... hit reply twice for some reason... sorry

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 18:55:40 (permalink)
    I have it.  It makes great sounds, but it is clumsy (to me) to create a new synth.  Then again, until Reaktor came out with Blocks, I found that difficult as well.  

I think AAS really excels at real-world modelling.  I love string studio.  And their electric piano thingy is great too.  VA is easy to use, but there are so many competitors on that front.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 18:55:44 (permalink)
    oops - an echo (echo echo) in here.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 20:10:52 (permalink)
    I got it by upgrading to the modelling collection bundle a while back but I have yet to do much with it.

I love Soft tube's modular for straightforward but versatile modular programming, Its (almost) only monophonic. I hope if I ever get round to Tasman will give me some of that with polyphony.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/07 21:07:57 (permalink)
    drewfx1
    They've been talking about updating it for like a decade, and I'm not kidding.

Yeah, but I do believe them when they say an update is coming.  I talked to one of the AAS principals a NAMM 18 months (or so) ago, and he said that Tassman 5 was in the pipeline but that several things were ahead of it priority-wise.  This has to be a most challenging set of problems to solve.  AAS has been converting all their instruments to a new architecture over the last five years (or so) and Tassman is the last hold-out.  Clearly it's the most intricate instrument in the AAS catalog.

I have not played around with Reaktor blocks at all, but from my uneducated position, they appear to do something very similar to Tassman.  However, it's my understanding that Reaktor blocks are monophonic.  I'm pretty sure Tassman is polyphonic (it's been quite a while since I checked it out).  Anyway, my point is, if and when AAS finally delivers, it could be something pretty special.
    Magic Russ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 412
    Re: What's the story on AAS Tassman? 2017/08/08 01:23:20 (permalink)
    I'm yet another one who likes the sounds Tassman is capable of but is put off by the GUI.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1