Which Soft Synths do you use?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Belthus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/16 21:44:14 (permalink)
Both AIR Music Tech and NI Komplete look to be excellent choices given the content included.

I'll try the demos of both and see which one looks better for me personally.

I wasn't particularly looking for another controller but I'm intrigued by NI Machine unit and what it can offer.

Thanks to all for the info and recommendations.

Carl
Software & plugins Windows 10 - SONAR Platinum x64 [Upgrades: Rapture Pro - iZotope Iris II - Native Instruments Komplete 11 Select]
Controllers ROLAND A49 USB Midi Keyboard - Machine Mk1 - Machine Micro Mk2

Monitor Speakers: Pair of Ruark Audio MR1 & Sond Audio, Kingston HyperX Headphones

PC > Old but still going... ASUS Motherboard, Intel 2nd Gen i5-2300 2.8ghz, 8Gb RAM, ASUS Radion 6850 graphics card, SAMSUNG Evo 250gb SSD.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/16 23:26:36 (permalink)
Belthus
Both AIR Music Tech and NI Komplete look to be excellent choices given the content included.

I'll try the demos of both and see which one looks better for me personally.

I wasn't particularly looking for another controller but I'm intrigued by NI Machine unit and what it can offer.

Thanks to all for the info and recommendations.

If you are looking into the NI hardware, be sure to check out their Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards.  They have the NKS control format which is integrated with NI software, as well as some 3rd party developers, for example u-he and Arturia.  They also include Komplete 11 Select.  The S25 starts at $399.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keyboards/komplete-kontrol-s-series/

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Belthus
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 22:14:55 (permalink)
rsinger
As abacab said Reaktor is part of Komplete and that was in my list above. Normally it (Komplete and many NI products) goes on sale in the spring and fall. I recommend waiting for a sale - watch the deals section of the forum if you want to purchase it.

abacab
If you are looking into the NI hardware, be sure to check out their Komplete Kontrol S-Series keyboards.  They have the NKS control format which is integrated with NI software, as well as some 3rd party developers, for example u-he and Arturia.  They also include Komplete 11 Select.  The S25 starts at $399.

https://www.native-instru...lete-kontrol-s-series/

I wasn’t particularly looking at another controller at the moment as my Roland A49 does the job, however it does lack the numerous physical dials, velosity pads and faders found on some other keyboards.

Saying that, I would like to explore the integration of a hardware controller in both using SONAR and/or mapping soft synth functions to something tangeble.  Ill have a look at the other options mentioned, but its more a case of building a wish list for when I can justify the outlay.

I downloaded the NI MASSIVE demo and had a quick play (will carry on over the next couple of days) and just like Iris 2 I can see a lot of milage in it for me personally.  The selection of pads supprised me as I was expecting the focus to be on bass and leads for some reason.  All in all though, it looks to be an impressive soft synth.

I think the obvious choice would be to purchase one of the Komplete packages, or as you say purchase one of the controllers as they come with Komplete 11 Select.  It will be interesting to see what you get for your money given the other included products.

Hopefully there will be some deals in the future.

Carl
Software & plugins Windows 10 - SONAR Platinum x64 [Upgrades: Rapture Pro - iZotope Iris II - Native Instruments Komplete 11 Select]

Monitor Speakers: Pair of Ruark Audio MR1 & Sond Audio, Kingston HyperX Headphones

PC > Old but still going... ASUS Motherboard, Intel 2nd Gen i5-2300 2.8ghz, 8Gb RAM, ASUS Radion 6850 graphics card, SAMSUNG Evo 250gb SSD.
abacab
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 22:48:08 (permalink)
Don't overlook the demo of u-he Diva. No time limits.  Just some occasional static.  NI NKS compatible.
https://www.u-he.com/cms/diva

DIVA - Dinosaur Impersonating Virtual Analogue Synthesizer

"The oscillators, filters and envelopes closely model components found in some of the great monophonic and polyphonic synthesizers of yesteryear. Modules can be mixed and matched so you can build hybrids, but what sets Diva apart is the sheer authenticity of the analogue sound. This comes at the cost of quite a high CPU-hit, but we think it was worth it: Diva is the first native software synth that applies methods from industrial circuit simulators (e.g. PSpice) in realtime. The behaviour of zero-delay-feedback filters when pushed to the limit clearly demonstrates the advantages of this groundbreaking approach.

Check out more than 1200 presets. If your computer can handle it, try them in "Divine" mode."

ChazEd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 23:00:51 (permalink)
Didn't U-He synths had a issue with Sonar when naming/renaming presets?

It's still a issue?

I'm looking after Diva too, but only for 2018. Can't spend any money until the end of this year.

I could demo it, but don't want to salivate for the rest of this year LOL.

Ableton Live 10 Suite x64
Korg Legacy Collection, FXpansion Tremor, Z3ta+ 2 & Rapture Pro
Win 10 x64 (Still knocking on wood...)
i7 4770, GA-H97-D3H, 16 GB, 7200 1TB + 2TB, RX 580, CX600V2
UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
ChazEd
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 23:10:20 (permalink)
Back on topic:
  • Addictive Drums 2
  • Korg Legacy Collection
  • Fxpansion Tremor
  • Arturia Minimoog V Original
  • Rapture Pro & Z3ta+ 2
  • OBXD (free)
  • TAL synths (free)
  • Dexed (free)
  • AAS Swatches (free, but own paid presets pack)
  • Native Instruments free stuff

UA-101 (Thank you, Roland, for the Windows 10 driver!), SM57, MG10/2, MicroKey 37
abacab
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 23:21:01 (permalink)
ChazEd

It's still a issue?

Dunno about that one.  One thing about the u-he stuff, like many modern synths, is that it does not follow the legacy fxb/fxp patch bank system.  You must use the UI in the plugin to access the patches.

And another thing is that the VST3 support in u-he products is still "experimental", and best avoided for now.  One thing I experienced with VST3 is that the plugin would not recall the saved patch name when re-opening a saved project. The VST2 versions are tried and tested, and don't have this issue.

ChazEd
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 23:30:40 (permalink)
abacab
ChazEd

It's still a issue?

Dunno about that one.  One thing about the u-he stuff, like many modern synths, is that it does not follow the legacy fxb/fxp patch bank system.  You must use the UI in the plugin to access the patches.

And another thing is that the VST3 support in u-he products is still "experimental", and best avoided for now.  One thing I experienced with VST3 is that the plugin would not recall the saved patch name when re-opening a saved project. The VST2 versions are tried and tested, and don't have this issue.

It is fixed:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2747018&p=1

Time to save for Diva next year LOL!

Good info about VST3, hope they fix ASAP.

abacab
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/17 23:41:10 (permalink)
ChazEd

Good info about VST3, hope they fix ASAP.

Don't hold your breath. Steinberg told them they needed to recode from scratch as "simplified" VST3 using SDK. They are assessing when they can afford to take the necessary steps.

The good news is that VST3 is not a mandatory upgrade.  There are some new features it offers, but VST2 should continue to function as it always has for years to come. 

Belthus
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/18 22:39:13 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Cakewalk's Z3ta is a very capable synth, many get put off by the EDM orintated presets but the wave shaping functions, the dual filters and extensive modulation options make it a very capable synth.

Yes, I have already committed to getting Z3ta+2 at some point.

While I did mention Tangerine Dream in my original post, my taste in music stretches across a very broad spectrum of styles, EDM being one of them.

Listened to some of your sound cloud tracks, Approach to Carce stood out as one of my favourites, cracking stuff Glynn.

Carl

rsinger
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/19 16:39:56 (permalink)
Belthus

I think the obvious choice would be to purchase one of the Komplete packages, or as you say purchase one of the controllers as they come with Komplete 11 Select.  It will be interesting to see what you get for your money given the other included products.

Hopefully there will be some deals in the future.

For Komplete they usually have a sale Black Friday week - still a ways off.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

Uneven634
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/29 02:52:09 (permalink)
So many synths, hard to make up my mind with so much quality stuff...
abacab
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/07/29 15:29:53 (permalink)
Uneven634
So many synths, hard to make up my mind with so much quality stuff...

Just wait until you have a few good ones on your hard drive...

Then the problem becomes how to pick your favorites! 

Belthus
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/08/07 21:55:09 (permalink)
Managed to get my hands on a (NI) Native Instruments Machine Mk1 (without software) and also a Machine Micro Mk2 with a licence transfer for Komplete 11 select.  Not received the hardware yet, but the Komplete 11 select has been transferred to my NI account and is working flawlessly with SONAR Platinum.

Once I have had a chance to play with it fully and with the hardware ill try to offer some thoughts in another post, but initial thoughts on the software are very positive, especially Massive, the Gentleman Piano, Drum Lab and the West African percussion Kontact plugin.

Yet to see how the hardware integrates however.

Carl

AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Which Soft Synths do you use? 2017/08/10 18:05:22 (permalink)
Maschine is very good, and the NI collection that comes with it is outstanding.  The hardware operates on a different level (MAschine Jam, anyway), while the software is another DAW.  I think many Cake users (and imagine other daws users too) use maschine software as a separate app and import the resulting audio recordings.

Rapture and Rapt Pro (if you have either one) is a very capable synth and had some nice sound collections, including a heap of old analog sounds at http://patcharena.com/ Very cutting synth but its own EQ rounds out the sound nicely once you add some bass.  That can make it less buzzy than usual, and less buzzy than the NI collection, to my ear.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1