Helpful ReplyWhich bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/20 11:28:21 (permalink)
SonicExplorer
 But then again, maybe it was all in my head....never made sense to me how two different versions of Sonar could seem to sound different inside the project yet the mixes summed identically.   ??

Also the source of "this DAW sounds better that that DAW".

Usually Offline vs Online algorithms. Rendering algorithms are "better" but can be significantly slower. For "real time", simpler/faster conversion approach is used. Note that back in time (S5/S6), computers was much less powerful.
In DAWs, that is normally configurable.

I do not have S5-6 to check, but you can record the playback (better with digital loopback, easy with RME). I am sure it will not null, pointing to the online algo difference.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/20 13:01:22 (permalink)
The other thing here, of course, is that the current hard limitation of converters is an issue in an AD converter, rather than in the DA converter. It's at input that we're generally failing to capture much than 20 bits of depth. It turns out that that's plenty for recording, though, so it kind of doesn't matter.

Higher bit depth throughout the process after recording and through to mastering and release is of course useful to reduce rounding errors.

The key issue here is way back earler in the thread:
you lose definition, particularly the analouge emulation effects if you don't record, mix and master at 64bitf

This indicates a very big misunderstanding of what is going on.

Firstly, recording. Presently, you can't record at 64bit. You can create a 64 bit file while recording at approximately 20bits if you like, but that file contains no information that a 24 bit file wouldn't have done. Processing bit depth after that is handled by Sonar, regardless of the bit depth of the raw file.

As for mastering, absolutely every professional mastering facility in the world currently asks for 24 bit files, and delivers back 24 bit files, with the exception of CD masters.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/20 17:54:50 (permalink)
azslow3
SonicExplorer
 But then again, maybe it was all in my head....never made sense to me how two different versions of Sonar could seem to sound different inside the project yet the mixes summed identically.   ??

Usually Offline vs Online algorithms. Rendering algorithms are "better" but can be significantly slower. For "real time", simpler/faster conversion approach is used. Note that back in time (S5/S6), computers was much less powerful.

I'm not quite following this logic because "offline" rendering is actually much faster than "real time" so why then would a slower "real-time" algorithm be lower quality?   

Windows XP 32 bit, Sonar 5 PE, RME Fireface 400
azslow3
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/20 21:17:11 (permalink)
SonicExplorer
azslow3
SonicExplorer

I'm not quite following this logic because "offline" rendering is actually much faster than "real time" so why then would a slower "real-time" algorithm be lower quality?  

Do not forget that S5 is from year 2005...
Or there could be some bug

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
SonicExplorer
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/21 03:46:20 (permalink)
azslow3
SonicExplorer
azslow3
SonicExplorer

Do not forget that S5 is from year 2005...
Or there could be some bug

Yeah but we are talking about a difference between S5 and S6, that's only 1 year.  Maybe it's an improvement or bug fix but I'd be inclined to blame my hearing first, even though I A/B compared things quite a bit to try and see if it was all in my head.  After exported mixes bit-compared identically (at least from an audible reverse-phase test) I reluctantly concluded it must be a figment of my imagination.

azslow3
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/21 06:47:39 (permalink)
SonicExplorer
Yeah but we are talking about a difference between S5 and S6, that's only 1 year.  Maybe it's an improvement or bug fix but I'd be inclined to blame my hearing first, even though I A/B compared things quite a bit to try and see if it was all in my head.  After exported mixes bit-compared identically (at least from an audible reverse-phase test) I reluctantly concluded it must be a figment of my imagination.

To make it more clear. My point is what you hear during playback in the DAW can use different code compare to the rendered file. And so the result sent to the audio interface can be different. That can be the "sound of the DAW" (f.e. Reaper still has explicit settings for offline and online bitrate conversion) or the sound from any plug-in (some of them notice which mode is used).
To check such difference, record the output from both. With RME (at least I am sure about Babyface) you can route the output as input internally. Otherwise some spdif loopback can be used. Analog loopback introduce distortion and so is not good for such comparison.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/21 18:25:49 (permalink)
If you ever do a physical loopback, be sure to mute the armed track (it will still record). It is very easy to create a feedback loop otherwise, and not all interfaces will protect you from one.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/22 00:53:10 (permalink)
parco
for me, only 64bit floating point could defeat the 48bit (56bit actually) of Avid hardware mixing, with more than double bits of 24bit, extra dynamic headroom avoiding internal clippings, and can still keep full 24bit detail even through completely muted at the first stage but boosted back at the next stage, no any sounds lost. And also less rounding errors (like when 2 is going to be divided by 3, pi, or square root of 2). And finally, just kept all details inside 64bit, dithering from 64bit to 16bit so you can hear the incredibly unbelievable dynamic range and sensible SNR........

I believe AVID uses a fixed point mix engine or at least they did. In the early 90s there was a large movement within the DSP community supporting fixed bit over floating point for audio processing.
BenMMusTech
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2606
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/22 06:32:18 (permalink)
John T
The other thing here, of course, is that the current hard limitation of converters is an issue in an AD converter, rather than in the DA converter. It's at input that we're generally failing to capture much than 20 bits of depth. It turns out that that's plenty for recording, though, so it kind of doesn't matter.

Higher bit depth throughout the process after recording and through to mastering and release is of course useful to reduce rounding errors.

The key issue here is way back earler in the thread:
you lose definition, particularly the analouge emulation effects if you don't record, mix and master at 64bitf

This indicates a very big misunderstanding of what is going on.

Firstly, recording. Presently, you can't record at 64bit. You can create a 64 bit file while recording at approximately 20bits if you like, but that file contains no information that a 24 bit file wouldn't have done. Processing bit depth after that is handled by Sonar, regardless of the bit depth of the raw file.

As for mastering, absolutely every professional mastering facility in the world currently asks for 24 bit files, and delivers back 24 bit files, with the exception of CD masters.

Gosh John you really like to aim for the lowest common denominator when trying to make a point - of course there's no such thing as 64bit audio recordings and I will take some responsibility for not perhaps explaing myself properly...as always I'm reading and doing 10 things at once. 64bit audio files are important because when you freeze a track it gives the track added headroom and let's not forget about rounding errors which are particularly important within the analouge emulation aesthetic. Which is a real paradigm too by the way John.

64bit master files are an innovation of mine and someone like yourself should understand why due to the change in distribution medium i.e. CD versus streaming services. But if you need me to explain here goes...Bobby ;) wants to distribute his recording via Crapify or whatever streaming service he uses, he uploads a 16bit 44.1khz version of the track. Now let's remember that this was the standard set on 1976 off the top of my head...when 16 bit converters were all we had and were as rough as guts. Now that 16 bit master has been dithered down from whatever recording format he used and also the mixing bit depth he used...of course the master will sound **** - because when compressing the master via whatever codec you've used or is used you should always deliver the master at the highest quality bit depth as possible...Soundcloud let's you up-load a 64bit 96khz master...or this is the highest quality I've uploaded and has been accepted...so prey tell who's master should sound better bobby's poor 16 bit master or my 64bit master which hasn't been dithered and hasn't been compressed or down sampled and bit crushed before delivery hmm? I said I went off topic...this was after all about rubbish CDs that no one buys anymore...there are literally no CD stores left practically.

As for my claim to HD audio...i will maintain that my last master and a couple before that are HD without one bit of HD recording equipment or playback...you don't attack my mixes and masters, because you can't! You attack my claim of HD audio because it probably suits you because audio is still probably your bread and butter.

Whilst I accept I might have been fishing for the right terms in regards to what happens at various bit depths and indeed may have got some of science and terms wrong - the actual theory is sound and is provable! Remember people like Tesla...he too was called a crank because no one understood what he was talking about :). I also said that there was more to the secret sauce than bit depth like the analouge emulation aesthetic etc.

Ben

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
http://1331.space/
https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/22 12:47:05 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
As for my claim to HD audio...i will maintain that my last master and a couple before that are HD without one bit of HD recording equipment or playback...you don't attack my mixes and masters, because you can't! You attack my claim of HD audio because it probably suits you because audio is still probably your bread and butter.

It is indeed true that one of us makes his living in audio production and the other doesn't.

Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
BenMMusTech
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 08:04:45 (permalink)
John T
BenMMusTech

It is indeed true that one of us makes his living in audio production and the other doesn't.

I was going to let this go John...but it sticks in my craw, and I always stand my ground when someone thinks they can push me around. First, I've actually recorded a wind orchestra for money :), second you can take and have all the audio work in the world...there is nothing more boring or frustrating that watching children banging pots and calling it 'muzak'. I can hit all of Freddie Mercury's note (I've got a Bohemian Rhapsody on the way, piano part is done, and it will be set in the Roman Colosseum, and I'm a top-notch guitarist. I can also read and write music at the highest level - so sonata form and imitation counterpoint. So, again you can record all the pub rockers, and button pushers you like. It just doesn't bother me. Now let's be clear, the above paragraph isn't an ego statement as some like yourself might think. According to Gardener's (pre-eminent psychologist) theory on intelligence there are 7 or 8 types of intelligence, and one happens to be intrapersonal intelligence. Intrapersonal intelligence is the understanding of self. This is also means, and I hate the communist notions, but no one is more important than another. It doesn't matter how great I am, the bootlicker down the street can also come up with something just as brilliant.  Now because of modern schooling, and the terribleness that it entails, means by the time you leave school that belief in one's self or intrapersonal intelligence is knocked out of you. To quote John Lennon 'when they've scared you for 20 odd years, then they expect you to pick a career, when you can't really function you're so full of fear'. 

I've worked out what I was trying to say in regards to the importance of 64bit audio. Firstly, what we're talking about here is a container file - like digital film or an Mp4 file. Then you have a codec to decode that file. So you're right when you say there isn't an audio format of 64bitfp...but when you wrap that file in a 64bit container file like Sonar's 64bit container file, then there is. And I've already mentioned the benefits of 64bitfp audio files, and indeed where 24bit would be better. But here goes, first 64bitfp audio files are imperative when using the analog emulation aesthetic, for a number of reasons but probably the most important is dynamic range...I don't have to worry about clipping once I am inside the box. Now an old school engineer who has become entrenched with the old ideas on digital audio would say this is a big no, but so long as you're not going back out the box...it is fine and indeed necessary, because in the analogue days most of the equipment added a gentle layer of compression or harmonic distortion and to achieve that with digital emulations you need to mix as the engineers of the rock-avant-garde did. Another reason why 64bit container files are important is because of freezing. Even with a gaming laptop, with an SSD drive for work and programs, a quad core intel processor and 32 gig of ram...I still freeze. By using 64bit, and indeed a 64bit fp mix engineer - to keep the audio pristine it should be obvious as to the benefits of using a 64bit Fp audio file container format. Then there are the obvious benefits of using the same file format throughout a recording or mix. It's not always possible...but again the benefits should be obvious. 

Now I note, again you didn't attack my work...just my ideas and you used your employment as a guarantee you knew better. So unfortunately, I can only do the same and let the readers decide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XcQVCAJakM&t=124s This is my Nights in White Satin cover...with newly minted AV work, that I created with various programs...so not just audio. Now it's important to know that I used a 64bit master file when creating the final render. Again, think about the last analogy I used about what would be a better digital medium distribution platform...would a crappy 16bit be the best distribution medium - the standard since the 70s, which has been bitcrushed and probably dithered, which is where you lose definition. So like 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion and indeed important time based effects, and not too mention virtual binaural spatial plugs. Or would my HD 64bit container master file be the better option? I will let the readers decide. I apologize to the readers, for posting my link. And I apologize for going off-topic. My mind wanders like a hermit in the night, but it always bumps into land.

Peace and Love     

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 10:37:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2018/05/23 14:49:54
BenMMusTech

I've worked out what I was trying to say in regards to the importance of 64bit audio. Firstly, what we're talking about here is a container file - like digital film or an Mp4 file. Then you have a codec to decode that file. So you're right when you say there isn't an audio format of 64bitfp...but when you wrap that file in a 64bit container file like Sonar's 64bit container file, then there is.

Wrong. Particularly in the case of WAV, which doesn't really follow a container / data paradigm in that way. But in any case, it's the data that has a bit depth, not the container, as is obvious if you can stop typing and think for a few seconds.

Now I note, again you didn't attack my work...just my ideas and you used your employment as a guarantee you knew better.

No, that's absolutely not what I'm doing.

I'm not attacking your work, because your work is not what's in question.

You may well have hit on a way of working that in aggregate delivers the kind of mixes you want to deliver. If so, great!

However, you are making technical, factual claims throughout this thread, which are simply wrong. Whether or not your mixes are good is an entirely separate question. You quite simply don't know what you're talking about on a good number of your technical claims.

As to why this bothers me, well, here it is. I absolutely don't care if you as an individual want to believe whatever you believe (though I doubt you really do). However, I think that this forum, the odd bit of drama aside, has a notably good spirit of people sharing information and helping one another.

The end result of that is that there's an atmosphere of trust here, and someone coming in saying "hey, look, I've proven all this stuff", and banging on about stuff that they themselves know they don't really understand, is wasting other people's time in the most egregious manner. You haven't proven anything, and you don't understand bit-depth in audio.

It's funny that you'd get so wound up about my dig up there. Because that's the thing, really. All of this nonsense is an exercise in ego validation. You want to be taken for an expert. Well, OK, go and acquire some expertise then.
Stop typing, and do some more reading, and do both the forum, and yourself a favour.

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 12:00:34 (permalink)
BenMMusTech

First, I've actually recorded a wind orchestra for money :), second you can take and have all the audio work in the world...there is nothing more boring or frustrating that watching children banging pots and calling it 'muzak'. I can hit all of Freddie Mercury's note (I've got a Bohemian Rhapsody on the way, piano part is done, and it will be set in the Roman Colosseum, and I'm a top-notch guitarist. I can also read and write music at the highest level - so sonata form and imitation counterpoint.

There is a certain pattern that emerges from a lot of your posts, a recurring theme if you will, and to that end I think it's time . . . yep . . . it's time, . . . time to bring Mac Davis into this conversation, this time with a little help from Kenny Rogers.

This ones's for you Neb, sing along . . .

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

azslow3
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 12:32:09 (permalink)
John T
I'm not attacking your work, because your work is not what's in question.

You may well have hit on a way of working that in aggregate delivers the kind of mixes you want to deliver. If so, great!

However, you are making technical, factual claims throughout this thread, which are simply wrong. Whether or not your mixes are good is an entirely separate question. You quite simply don't know what you're talking about on a good number of your technical claims.

+

@BenMMusTech: if you mention that to judge musical results some musical background is required, probably you can understand that special experience is required for judging technical staff. Nanosecond circuits, microsecond precise calculations, fixed precision of algorithms for particular purpose, etc. are not going to give any advantage in creating/playing music. But playing guitar or writing sonatas are of no help in understanding how DAC works

For the topic. I think that was not mentioned explicitly yet. 16/24bit files is the only way to be sure that someone else will hear the sound as close to the original as possible since 32/64 formats will have to be converted in the software or hardware before feeding the converter. It is not about "better or worse", other DAW/interface can do this analytically better than particular system and mentioned LG/HiEnd/HiFi/etc. can make it sound "better". The point is: it can sound different. And that is what people (if I understand music production ideology correctly...) try to avoid till the very end.
In practice, the difference is so small that 24/32/64 and even proper converted 16bits sound indistinguishable the same. 32/64 will sound the same independent from the (digital) amplification while fixed point formats, including 24bit, in not maxed regions can always be amplified up to the level of audible quantization distortion/noise. That property of fixed point format is what makes a bad idea to record in 16bit, intermediate render into 24bit. The same property is also responsible for the claims "your DAW has a bug in 24bit rounding" (famous story with Similitude).

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 13:02:35 (permalink)
azslow3
@BenMMusTech: if you mention that to judge musical results some musical background is required, probably you can understand that special experience is required for judging technical staff. Nanosecond circuits, microsecond precise calculations, fixed precision of algorithms for particular purpose, etc. are not going to give any advantage in creating/playing music. But playing guitar or writing sonatas are of no help in understanding how DAC works

This is exactly it. I never weigh in on conversations here about composing for strings, or playing the drums, or any number of things I know nothing about. Nobody's an expert at everything, and there's nothing wrong with that.

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 15:14:07 (permalink)
John T
[...] However, I think that this forum, the odd bit of drama aside, has a notably good spirit of people sharing information and helping one another.

The end result of that is that there's an atmosphere of trust here [and the risk of betraying that ...]

Very nicely stated. There is a fine line at times between "healthy" discussions where everyone can walk away having learned something versus the "holier than thou" posts which end up getting a good discussion thread locked out.

In my experience, technical touting is often thrown out to proclaim "better" when, in fact, digital recording already exceeded the capability of human hearing years ago (the ultimate "test"); let alone all of the other pieces parts getting sound from the DAW (or whatever is streaming audio) to a person's ears.

FWIW (something from earlier in this thread), I also own the V30, and the onboard speaker blows chunks making its touted DAC totally worthless for associated "real life" mobile situations (my Droid Maxx had a far superior speaker on it). For ad hoc capture, it is excellent; for playback, it is actually (quite a bit) less than its competition. What good is such a great DAC when the speaker is incredibly sub-standard? Same argument applies to other items brought up in this thread - "one component does not a system make."

Apologies to the OP for assisting in the derailment here. But to reiterate - only dither once as the final step to end media target

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 15:36:35 (permalink)
mettelus

In my experience, technical touting is often thrown out to proclaim "better" when, in fact, digital recording already exceeded the capability of human hearing years ago (the ultimate "test"); let alone all of the other pieces parts getting sound from the DAW (or whatever is streaming audio) to a person's ears.

Very true.

I also always groan a bit when I see people disappearing down a rabbit hole of magic recipes like some of what's been talked about here. When you listen to a flawed mix someone posts, the problem is pretty much never anything to do with bit depth settings or anything of that nature. Spending less time worrying about that stuff, and just getting better at mixing will deliver far greater results far sooner than any of this stuff ever will.

Steev
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 314
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 19:25:58 (permalink)
Hmmm, I've seen in this conversation for decades now, I have suffered through several double blind tests at several top notch state of the professional studios and any never seen or even heard of any human being that could effectively tell the difference between 24/32/64 or even 192 bit recordings and "guess" correctly every time during the double blind tests.
Guess is the operative word here. As the prankster I tend to be during a double blind test between trying to distinguish between trying to tell the difference 16/24/32 bit tests, most discernable listeners could always tell the difference between 16 bit and 24 bit, but not every single time. However my prankster trick was introducing a solo acoustic version I recorded of Frank Zappa's "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?" into the mix, and 2 out of 4 picked it at being 24 bit.
 I had to just smile a wicked smile and say, "Well it was in fact recorded at 24/48 in SONAR X3 Producer with a 64 bit double precision sound engine, exported to native stereo broadcast .wav 24/48, than mastered in Sound Forge Pro 11, but what you just heard was a 16 bit 320 k/Bs .mp3." 
Their ears just fooled them, because it was unexpected, they picked and chose it because funny and an enjoyable blindside to their egos.

I also have been recording at the industry standard 24 bit/48k/hz for decades now and have enjoyed the benefits of both 32 bit floating point and 64 bit floating point "processing" while recording all projects at 24/48 unless otherwise specified to 24/16.44 or 24/96.
 I've also found to be true, the all audio has the same sound quality at 24 bit depth, the frequency only effects latency. The faster the frequency, the lower the latency during recording..

But my question is, when you upload a 32 bit "depth" .wav file to Sound Cloud, do they leave it that way, or does it get processed (dithered) down to a much more "STREAMING" server storage friendly industry standard  16/44.1?? Or maybe even a much more server storage and "streaming" friendly 16 bit 320k/bs.MP3??
 I don't know, call me a skeptic, but I don't think a 32 bit depth.wav file wouldn't stream very well over the internet, if it streamed at all..
 I would safely assume 99.9% of all consumer computers won't even recognize any bit depth over 48, modern day music lovers typically loath music with ultra wide dynamic ranges, what doesn't knock them out of their seats or scares them, generally gets lost under the everyday noise floor ever present in normal listening environments
most listener's couldn't care less about listening to humanly impossible frequencies they can't hear and don't listen to Sound Cloud with audiophile and or professional grade studio equipment that would give them a chance to tell the difference if they could? I know I typically don't bother, nor do I whip any metering or spectrum analyzers on stuff I stream from the internet.. 

Steev on Bandlab.com

Custom built workstation. Windows 10 Pro x64.

SONAR Platinum. Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10, ACID Pro 7, Vegas Pro 11
Pro Tools.

ASRock 990FX mobo, AMD FX 8370 8-Core. 16 gb DDR3 PC1866 G Skill Ripjaws X RAM. AMD FirePro V4900 1gb DDR5 accelerated graphics card. 
Behringer X Touch DAW Controller
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen 2, OctoPre Mkll
Western Digital 500GB SSD bootdrive,  WD 500GB 10k rpm VelociRaptor for DAW projects . 2x1 TB WD Caviar Black SATA3 storage drives

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 19:40:41 (permalink)
Steev

But my question is, when you upload a 32 bit "depth" .wav file to Sound Cloud, do they leave it that way, or does it get processed (dithered) down to a much more "STREAMING" server storage friendly industry standard  16/44.1?? Or maybe even a much more server storage and "streaming" friendly 16 bit 320k/bs.MP3??

Ho ho, 320. Good heavens no.

Used to be an awful 128, then they changed it to make it worse.

https://www.magneticmag.com/2018/01/soundcloud-lowers-sound-quality-uploads-half/

Now, of course, better input means better output with any lossy data compression scheme, but soundcloud does such extreme violence to what you upload to it, it hardly matters.

post edited by John T - 2018/05/23 23:07:20

BenMMusTech
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 21:01:23 (permalink)
Hmm if none of you can hear the difference then that should tell everyone not to trust your advice for one.

I've already stated the obvious reasons for 64bit fp audio giles...and John you're fundamentally wrong about container files...where did you get your information from? Forums did you say...as an academic or of the academic class...if I handed my thesis up and all I had as references were a bunch of faceless talking heads...i would have failed! Which I didn't...again, you may like to think your a bully...you and your Matron character...but again you missed the point of what I said and you don't have an argument against the key reasons for 64bitfp audio and instead you retread old rumours about the digital medium. Now let's get this straight...what you're misunderstanding as most do is the digitized medium which needs to be looked at from a scientific, artistic and historic perspective. You are not. You're repeating, so it would seem, and quoting from reading forums over the last 20 years. I did the research on the digital medium...hmm Negroponte, Manovich etc the foremost thinkers on the digitized medium since it's inception. I read countless whitepapers and the like on container files too. I am the expert...an M.Phil denotes that expertise...i will have a Dr. In front of my name too at some point in the future. Expert. I will restate, that mixes and in particular mixes that use analouge emulation, time based and spatial effects benefit from a 64bit fp work flow through to the master. And if you can't tell the difference between a work that has been mixed at a 16bit, 24, 32, and 64 bit audio paradigm...you shouldn't be in the biz. Again...read what I said properly...you're all going off on the wrong tangent and stressing over the output stage not the mix stage. It's the mix stage that is important. Sure you play a mix and it's the crappy converters or soundcloud converts BLA. The beauty of 64bit fp audio though is you get a wide fat mix in the 1st place, and then it doesn't matter about the delivery stage. You see if you had a point and had decent arguing skills you would have an argument against the key points and the benefits of 64bit fp audio but instead you focus on the output stage. Finally, if you can't hear the widening of sonic pallet when using 64bitfp it's probably because you don't use an intensive effects regime like me. And again here is where the benefits of 64bit over the rest shine. If you just record button pushers, and troubadours which require no real mixing work...then as I've said all along 24bit would be fine.

And as for the person saying his LG has **** speakers...all handheld computers have pretty crap speakers...they're the size of a very small coin. It's when you connect the handheld computer to decent speakers...like Harmon Kardon for instance you get the benefits.

You want to debate with me...go for it, but I've written 20000 word papers and argued my point and was awarded an M.Phil...meaning I could out argue you all. Now go back and find a way to argue against my key points as to the benefits of 64bitfp audio instead of your slight of hand arguments that have no merit.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence 🤑

As for the person complaun

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 22:01:52 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
 I will restate, that mixes and in particular mixes that use analouge emulation, time based and spatial effects benefit from a 64bit fp work flow through to the master.

I assume this statement is from empirical evidence i.e. your senses as I have seen no mathematical explanation to support your claim.
John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 22:19:43 (permalink)
I can't think of any good reason why bit depth would be pertinent to time-based effects specifically. Bit depth has no significance in terms of the time domain. At a stretch, we could say that as reverbs and delays tail off into silence, then greater bit depth means greater resolution at low volumes. But 1/ I am certain that's not what's being claimed, and 2/ how significant that is within a general mix, where there's not going to be any silence to tail off into, and signals will have fallen below the masking effect of other signals way before that, well, I'm skeptical, myself.

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 22:23:35 (permalink)
BenMMusTech
Hmm if none of you can hear the difference then that should tell everyone not to trust your advice for one.

A predictable move that I'm surprised it took you this long to make. You, apparently, have golden ears, and we are all completely tin-eared, and can't even hear the excellence of what you're talking about. Sure. That's what's happening here.

Anyway, for me, I've pretty much said my piece. It bothers me that anyone reading this forum might have their time wasted by some of the nonsense being spouted. I think for the time being, we've headed that off as much as possible. If you want to continue to make a fool of yourself, it's not my job to talk you out of it.

The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2018/05/23 22:24:44 (permalink)

post edited by dj squarewave - 2018/05/25 13:15:39

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 22:28:27 (permalink)
Amused that you reference Nicholas Negroponte who (I personally think wrongly) is generally opposed to putative "HD" media technology. I wonder how closely you read him. I also wonder why you think he has any credentials in audio; he doesn't, and doesn't claim to. But this is par for this boring course you've set us on. Are you familiar with the term "appeal to authority"?

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 22:31:14 (permalink)
dj squarewave
Info about the wave file container format:

https://www.loc.gov/prese...ts/fdd/fdd000001.shtml

Indeed it is. What point are you making, though?

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/23 23:16:24 (permalink)

I swear I'm going to leave this alone soon, but there are so many ludicrous claims in that massive wall o text up there, it's hard to pick them out. But this one's a doozy.

BenMMusTech
The beauty of 64bit fp audio though is you get a wide fat mix in the 1st place, and then it doesn't matter about the delivery stage.

Create master files in 64 bit. Then deliver over a walkie talkie. Because it doesn't matter about the delivery stage. 64 bit will magically make it awesome.

BUT THEN!

And as for the person saying his LG has **** speakers...all handheld computers have pretty crap speakers...they're the size of a very small coin. It's when you connect the handheld computer to decent speakers...like Harmon Kardon for instance you get the benefits.

Oh, look, the delivery stage, mattering.

That'll be those amazing arguing skills there.

SonicExplorer
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/24 05:37:36 (permalink)
Okay, at the risk of sounding stupid, in the midst of all this debate I remain confused what the right answer really is to one particular facet of my inquiry:  To clarify I'm using Sonar 5 (which supports a 32 bit file container - wasn't until S6 that 64 bit was supported).  So, when I am mixing a project with audio files that are recorded at 24 bit, and I wish to export a mix hoping to maintain the highest quality audio, should I select 24 bit or 32 bit file depth in the export dialog? Or does it simply not matter ??   If it doesn't matter, are there any pros or cons to selecting 32 over 24 bit? 

Sonic

John T
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/24 08:30:52 (permalink)
Sorry, I've not been helping at all have I?

I think the question's been answered a couple of times in the thread. There are no gains in exporting to 32 bit. What's coming off your master bus isn't 32 bit, and it's going into your RME, to be played back at not 32 bit, but 24 bit, and that's what you're hearing.

There's been some back and forth in this thread between different parts of the process, and I think it's all got a bit muddied up (I'm as much to blame for that as anyone). So here's a quick overview.

1/ Initial recording - there is no point recording into 32 bit files, as it's currently not possible to capture audio of greater depth than about 21 bits (and may never be possible).

2/ Internal processing in the DAW. In your case, this is happening at 32 bits. Nothing to concern us here.

3/ Bouncing / freezing operations - Sonar sets it's default render bit depth for these operations at 32 bit. The principal benefit of this is that it makes it very unlikely you'll accidentally create a clipped signal when doing a freeze or a bounce. The secondary benefit is that you're very unlikely to suffer signal degradation even across multiple bounces of the same material.

4/ Playback - your interface (and the majority of interfaces) is running at 24 bit. The mix coming off the master bus will be 24 bit, regardless of any intermediary processing going on in steps 1 and 2.

5/ Final export - same as the playback. You do not now, nor at any point in the process, have music that's playing at higher than 24 bit.

SonicExplorer
Re: Which bit depth conversion methodology going from mix to master to CD ? 2018/05/24 08:58:15 (permalink)
Thanks for the clarifications John.  What you explained was my proper conclusion then. I was just starting to get confused reading the discussion and then started to doubt aspects of what i thought I already knew, as well as some aspects which thought I learned during the discussion.  As you said, things kind of got a bit muddled up in the twists of the debate.

Sonic

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1