Helpful ReplyWho's throwing in the towel?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 21:06:42 (permalink)
@Dappa1 and CoteRotie and whomever,

I understand all of what you guys are saying.. All valid points for some, but not all users. You are missing an important element, at least your not posts do not seem to consider this..

That being the user and what he\she uses it for.
I am in my own home studio, only me, Win 8.1x64 and that ain't going to change anytime soon. Started with CWPA 6.

If I had a pro studio, i'm pretty sure I would at least explore and plan and probably learn another. I am not a rich person by any means, but $150 for , say Studio one, would be easy enough. If I wanted to. 

My main thing is midi and soft-synths. Only live tracks are my assorted guitar tracks and my vocals.

I hope whatever everyone's decisions are that they they ALL work out to be fabulous......................

CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 21:24:07 (permalink)
stratman70
@Dappa1 and CoteRotie and whomever,

I understand all of what you guys are saying.. All valid points for some, but not all users. You are missing an important element, at least your not posts do not seem to consider this..

That being the user and what he\she uses it for.

Definitely- Everyone's choice is valid, I'm just interested in what decisions people are making.  I'm not trying to influence anyone one way or the other.

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 21:27:02 (permalink)
Pyro was mentioned in am earlier post. I'd forgotten about that. .....I liked Pyro, my first Cake product I believe...

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
HeatherHaze
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 22:00:12 (permalink)
I only just learned of this sad news.  I've used Cakewalk for over 20 years, not even counting the original DOS version.  I'm crushed.  I have the whole Sonar V-Studio 700 system, so it's fair to say my studio is built around Sonar.  

I know Sonar wasn't perfect.  But it was an old, dear, trusted friend.  If I'd been running the latest greatest version, I wouldn't worry quite so much.  But I'm still using X2.  I'd planned on upgrading to the latest Platinum when I had some downtime, but now it's too late. 

X2 still works fine, and I'll use it for as long as I can.  That could be for some time, since I still run Windows 7 Pro.  I have a lot of projects in-progress.  The thing is...I hadn't planned on running X2 and Windows 7 forever.  I was really looking forward to updating Sonar.  I'd hoped to update before I started recording my next album.  Now I'm hesitant to start any new projects in X2, since it's only a matter of time before it stops working for one reason or another.  Transferring projects to a new platform may be difficult or impossible.  

So it looks like I have some research ahead. 

Do I switch to industry-standard Pro Tools?  That has some allure, simply because Pro Tools experience can be such a valuable asset.  But I'm not sure Pro Tools would meet my needs. I use both audio and MIDI features extensively.  I still compose quite a bit using the MIDI piano roll, and notation is sometimes helpful, too.  How well does Pro Tools handle MIDI?  

It seems Studio One and Cubase are both popular choices.  I'm completely unfamiliar with either of them.  How do they stack up to Sonar?  What do they do better?  What do they do worse?  How are the MIDI capabilities?  Hardware support?  Would I still be able to use my VS-700C Console?  

This just sucks. :(

Any input appreciated.

)-|-( HeatherHaze
http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
V-Studio VS-700
Slate Raven MTi2
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
CoteRotie
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 22:41:49 (permalink)
HeatherHaze

It seems Studio One and Cubase are both popular choices.  I'm completely unfamiliar with either of them.  How do they stack up to Sonar?  What do they do better?  What do they do worse?  How are the MIDI capabilities?  Hardware support?  Would I still be able to use my VS-700C Console?  

This just sucks. :(

Any input appreciated.

My research so far came down to those two products.  Studio One seems the closest to SONAR in workflow and feel, and Cubase is more feature-complete.  Either seems workable for me, I took advantage of the Cubase cross grade and am waiting for my Dongle (Ugh!).  I'm strongly considering buying Studio One too just to figure out which one I like better.  

I've used Reaper in the past and it's OK, you can work with it, but I never really warmed up to it.  There were always things I wanted to do that seemed harder than they needed to be.  To be fair the latest version may be much better than it was 2 years ago when I last tried it.

Protools seems too limiting in what it works with and what it will allow you to do for a reasonable cost.

There are other DAWs from small companies out there which are pretty good and have the potential to be great.  They also have the potential to not be around in a few years, so I stick with my recommendation of Cubase or Studio One.

This does suck, for all involved.

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 22:42:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jyoung60 2017/12/06 23:39:04
jyoung60
After all the talk of Studio 1, I downloaded S1 Prime (the free version) because I simply cannot make a purchase for the next while.  ....Prime doesn't provide for 3rd party VSTs and plugins. 

That's right, you are limited to audio, and the built-in plugs only.  But you can activate the full functioning S1 Pro demo for 30 days.  The S1 Pro crossgrade at JRR is $125 until the end of the year.

You can use Reaper free for 60 days, then it will nag you to purchase, for a reasonable $60.

If budget is a big factor, then for an absolutely free DAW which is a full version, no limits, and supports VST plugins, there is Tracktion T6. https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

I have all of my unlocked Cakewalk plugins, and most of my 3rd party plugins working in Tracktion Waveform.  I have been using that for months, and once you get familiar with the Tracktion layout, it is very easy to get around in.  It is totally different from Sonar, and many consider it a niche player, but I got it for song creation using mostly MIDI. 

Then there is Pro Tools First, also free. http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first
I haven't tried this, but it includes the AIR Xpand!2 instrument, and 20 effects plugins, plus MIDI editing and audio recording.  It has a limited number of tracks, but looks interesting for free.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 22:53:55 (permalink)
almost all 3rd party plugs work in Studio One.

???????

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 22:56:08 (permalink)
They are talking about S1 Prime.

S1 Pro etc of course supports everything, at least everything I have thrown at it over the last 3 years

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 23:06:54 (permalink)
Crossfade here, I got Cubase 9.5 on the current crossgrade offer and the $29 version of Mixbus. I will slowly migrate to Cubase, Its very different but it seems to have great potential as I mostly work with MIDI.

But I can see me using Sonar for some tasks as long as it works.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 23:42:17 (permalink)
abacab...you can activate the full functioning S1 Pro demo for 30 days.  The S1 Pro crossgrade at JRR is $125 until the end of the year.

Full functioning demo for 30 days?  What am I still doing here talking to you!   *poof*

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
Funkfingers
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/06 23:44:33 (permalink)
Sonar was the best of the bunch. Is the best. A sad ending. No other DAW comes close.
Even if some parts of Sonar was´nt so user friendly and part of the code old..no other DAW comes close.
Can´t even think of how sad I feel over this. Cubase is no option. Cause it just can´t match Sonar in a thousand years. No DAW can.
I´ll try Mixcraft or maybe buy me a Mac and try out Logic. Or go offline and never look back/forward.
I will allways miss Sonar.Állways.
This can´t be happening.Its a nightmare. Someone has to continue develop Sonar! At least so it can withstand Windows crashes.

My name is Hans but I'm still Funkfingers after all these years.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 03:13:08 (permalink)
HeatherHaze
The thing is...I hadn't planned on running X2 and Windows 7 forever.

This comment may be the "answer" to your own question (at least for 5 years I would guess). Win7 as an OS is "stagnant" and "stable" so it will continue to work in its "as is" state. Doing an image of the C: drive (using Macrium Reflect or similar) will restore it to the state it was imaged in (I do this monthly). For those who have gone on to Win10, the close integration of the OS to the newer SONAR versions adds complexity. Keeping a machine on Win7 is not going to harm you; a new OS won't added features or functionality to what you own today (but can cause you issues).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
CoteRotie
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 04:48:42 (permalink)
So I pulled the trigger on the Cubase and Studio one crossgrades.  I plan to try both, and I'll post back here with my impressions once I get some time on both platforms.

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 04:50:07 (permalink)
I actually was looking in Studio One (Demo) and , yeah, GUI is nice and easy. I watched some Tutorials (Youtube) to get a grip, fairly easy at all. Tomorrow I have to check Video . . .. but what I can say from first Impressions, the Plugins and the Instruments doesn't catch me, though the Instruments are not that bad - Cakewalk Splat has much better stuff IMHO. Unfortunately not all Things work in S1 too. I'm waiting for the Mail from Overloud, Nomad doesn't work . . . I think, I will not buildt on one DAW / Solution alone, Sonar is definitely indispensable, since I don't want to go to Cubase again, didn't like it that much a few years before. So, there is no dramatic towel to throw, I still depend on Splat and its Instruments and Plugins, but still have to check some Demos . . . but as I stated before, I'm not in a hurry. 
Need my towels in the Gym and in Spa . . . .

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
entrelac
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 04:54:12 (permalink)
It's funny to me that I was using Sonar 8.5 for YEARS... never updated to any of the X versions because I kept reading how different and buggy they were, so it just didn't seem worth it when 8.5 was fine for my purpose. And I was on version 5 for a long time before finally upgrading to 8. I've never been a prolific songwriter, but over the years I completed a couple albums in Sonar 8.5 and I was happy enough using it except for one major bug that I just put up with.

Less than a year ago I finally took the plunge and upgraded to Sonar Platinum. It was really a huge improvement over 8.5, that huge bug was gone, and I looked forward to the updates every month. But as soon as I found out Cakewalk was shut down, Sonar felt dead to me, like hanging out with a corpse. I know that sounds like a bizarre overreaction, but that's how it felt. So I took the Cubase 9.5 Pro offer and have been enjoying learning that. There is so much to chew on in that program, lots of really cool features. For all I know at least some of them were available in Sonar too, but I never knew about them.

Personally I think Cubase is the most similar program to Sonar, at least in terms of the density of it and the richness of available features, and Cubase is expansive in some other areas that Sonar had never developed (I like that I can reasonably score a film in Cubase if I ever want to try doing that, for example). But maybe that's just in how I work with it. They are still very different programs.
abacab
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 14:11:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mkerl 2017/12/07 14:57:50
mkerl
Unfortunately not all Things work in S1 too. I'm waiting for the Mail from Overloud, Nomad doesn't work . . . I think, I will not buildt on one DAW / Solution alone, Sonar is definitely indispensable, since I don't want to go to Cubase again, didn't like it that much a few years before. So, there is no dramatic towel to throw, I still depend on Splat and its Instruments and Plugins, but still have to check some Demos

The unlock codes from Overloud work fine, and the plugins will work anywhere, including S1.  Same with the unlocked versions of the AAS Session instruments.

Nomad Factory has the Blue Tubes bundle for $79 here: http://store.dontcrack.co...39&products_id=215

True Pianos is offering a discount for Sonar customers, details here: http://forum.cakewalk.com...om-Sonar-m3703296.aspx

So that leaves the Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter as the only plug I'm aware of that you cannot take with you.  The Cakewalk instruments are portable.

mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 15:05:36 (permalink)
abacab
mkerl
Unfortunately not all Things work in S1 too. I'm waiting for the Mail from Overloud, Nomad doesn't work . . . I think, I will not buildt on one DAW / Solution alone, Sonar is definitely indispensable, since I don't want to go to Cubase again, didn't like it that much a few years before. So, there is no dramatic towel to throw, I still depend on Splat and its Instruments and Plugins, but still have to check some Demos

So that leaves the Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter as the only plug I'm aware of that you cannot take with you.  The Cakewalk instruments are portable.

Thanks for your help. I'm curious, where I'll  spend my money finally :)

Cheers :)

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
lance134679
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 15:16:16 (permalink)
Sonar seems too valuable for Gibson to simply give up. I'm hoping another company will buy it, but hopefully not Adobe, because you know they'll do subscription-only pricing. I like that with Sonar, you had a choice to subscribe or buy a version with a year of free updates.

The biggest problem with trying to sell Sonar is that it's currently Windows only. That really limits the potential when most audio professionals use Mac.

Personally, I'm going to continue to use Sonar as long as I can, but keep looking at other DAW's. Samplitude, Cubase, Studio One and even Harrison MixBus all look pretty good. I'm sure each one has its strengths and weaknesses, but at least they all support VST2 and VST3. I'm sure I'm not alone in having several VST effects and instruments that I like to use, including those that were bundled with Sonar.
jonboper
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 323
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 15:25:37 (permalink)
Yes. This sucks. My signature was true - all was done in Sonar.

I'm learning Reaper right now. It's a steep learning curve, for sure, not a very user-friendly GUI, but it has some really cool features and an active user base. I'm watching videos and playing along. If I can't get into it in the next few weeks I'll try...one of the other ones.

http://smaltmine.bandcamp.com/
https://booleanoperators.bandcamp.com/

All music was recorded and all in Sonar.

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 16:15:16 (permalink)
This is the unique thing about software. Sonar was, but Sonar still is for now. No matter what else happens with Gibson, we can still use Sonar. At least in the near foreseeable future. The only way I see that changing is if a competitor buys it to strip the useful code and then kills it. Even then, that buyer has the option to allow import of old files.

I might be one of the lucky ones. I've been using Cakewalk software since Pro 8. I have always had my computer online. A windows update has never broken my machine. Sometime an update would change an audio setting. That's a 10 minute fix for me to go in, see what it changed and change it back again. Simples.

I'm not knocking anyone who unplugs, just saying I have had no major issues. Now I'm not surfing while I'm recording and I watch where I go online. I'm hip to those scam emails. If I get anything from my credit card company or my utility. I do directly to them if I have a question. Usually a scam is obvious- " Plese chek your account" lol.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

jyoung60
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 914
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 16:46:09 (permalink)
jonboper
I'm learning Reaper right now. It's a steep learning curve, for sure, not a very user-friendly GUI, but it has some really cool features and an active user base. I'm watching videos and playing along. If I can't get into it in the next few weeks I'll try...one of the other ones.

Same here.  I open Reaper to start learning this & that, and a few minutes later it's like "I'll come back this later", lol.

I need to conquer it, though, 'cause I'm not in a position to purchase any of the other DAWs at this time.  ...but I'm also dabbling with the Studio 1 Pro demo as well.  I have 30 days to cough up the cash if it suits my needs better than Reaper.  I do have a version of Cubase that came with my Focusrite interface that I could look into a little deeper, but... brain hurt....

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest version) - x64
VST: Roland Sound Canvas VA
Hardware: Roland MC50mkII Sequencer; Yamaha DGX-660 keyboard; Steinberg UR-44 Interface
abacab
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/07 16:55:58 (permalink)
Maybe Sonar's demise is a blessing in disguise?

Many will probably end up with another DAW listed as supported on a 3rd party's product! 

"Supported by leading DAWs such as Logic Pro, Cubase, Bitwig Studio, Ableton Live, FL Studio, Reaper, Studio One".

That list is just from the presets included with my Akai VIP control enabled keyboard...

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 01:05:54 (permalink)
All this talk of "DAW x has inferior MIDI editing to Sonar's" needs to be taken with a pinch of salt IMO. I'm not suggesting that people are lying when they say it, it's just that even if you're a heavy MIDI user, DAW x's MIDI editing might be just as good for your purposes as Sonar's. 

For instance, I use MIDI a LOT. All of my projects are centered around VSTi's, and I do a lot of guitar-MIDI conversion, and I do stupid amounts of fine tuned editing in the PRV. Hours upon hours of it. I have MIDI flying around my projects like there's no tomorrow. Both my MIDI and MIDI generated by plugins. Despite that, I don't think I use Sonar's MIDI capabilities to anywhere near their full extent. As an example, in 5 years of Sonar use, I've never once used the event list! Even just tinkering with stuff in the piano roll, I don't use half of the tools available to me. 

It's been awhile since I used Pro Tools, but I don't remember having any problem editing MIDI in it, and this was over 5 years ago. I'm sure the MIDI in Studio One, Bitwig and whatever other DAW's would be fine for me as well. So just if you're a heavy MIDI user who is being swayed by people saying that such and such a DAW has inferior MIDI editing to Sonar's, don't write it off. Have a think about what you actually do with MIDI on a daily basis, and look into how those operations are carried out in the new DAW. You may find it just fine for your needs.  

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 01:10:55 (permalink)
jyoung60
jonboper

Same here.  I open Reaper to start learning this & that, and a few minutes later it's like "I'll come back this later", lol.

I need to conquer it, though, 'cause I'm not in a position to purchase any of the other DAWs at this time.  ...but I'm also dabbling with the Studio 1 Pro demo as well.  I have 30 days to cough up the cash if it suits my needs better than Reaper.  I do have a version of Cubase that came with my Focusrite interface that I could look into a little deeper, but... brain hurt....

My immediate impression of Reaper was that it does feel a little clunky to work with, i.e. the GUI isn't exactly buttery smooth and things like scrolling and zooming happen in steps instead of smoothly. I tried installing a theme, which was the best looking one I could find (Imperial) and even though it improved the look of Reaper immensely, of course it didn't do anything to make those operations smoother. I don't know why this bothers me so much but I guess it's just that in this day and age of silky smooth GUI animations, I'm used to a smoother experience. It's amazing how the look and feel of a GUI can totally influence how you feel about the program you're using, and how you feel about it really does affect your workflow. Perhaps there are some settings to make things look smoother, I didn't look into it yet. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 01:39:37 (permalink)
sharke
jyoung60
jonboper

My immediate impression of Reaper was that it does feel a little clunky to work with, i.e. the GUI isn't exactly buttery smooth and things like scrolling and zooming happen in steps instead of smoothly. I tried installing a theme, which was the best looking one I could find (Imperial) and even though it improved the look of Reaper immensely, of course it didn't do anything to make those operations smoother. I don't know why this bothers me so much but I guess it's just that in this day and age of silky smooth GUI animations, I'm used to a smoother experience. It's amazing how the look and feel of a GUI can totally influence how you feel about the program you're using, and how you feel about it really does affect your workflow. Perhaps there are some settings to make things look smoother, I didn't look into it yet. 

Try the LCS mod of Imperial.  It might not be smoother, but it gives you folder control in the mix view. along with an overall more compact appearance.

FYI:  Overall, I'm not experience the step-wise GUI updates you're describing.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

sharke
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 02:50:25 (permalink)
BobF
sharke
jyoung60
jonboper

Try the LCS mod of Imperial.  It might not be smoother, but it gives you folder control in the mix view. along with an overall more compact appearance.

FYI:  Overall, I'm not experience the step-wise GUI updates you're describing.

What I'm talking about is, stuff like zooming into tracks, it's not buttery smooth like it is in other DAW's. Whether I use the mouse wheel or the little zoom buttons in the lower right corner, it happens in steps, like this:

EDIT: I guess when I change the track height by dragging it, the vertical zoom is indeed smooth. It's only when holding down the zoom buttons or using the mouse wheel. Huh. 

James
kzmaier
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 19:47:48 (permalink)
Starise
This is the unique thing about software. Sonar was, but Sonar still is for now. No matter what else happens with Gibson, we can still use Sonar. At least in the near foreseeable future. The only way I see that changing is if a competitor buys it to strip the useful code and then kills it. Even then, that buyer has the option to allow import of old files.

I might be one of the lucky ones. I've been using Cakewalk software since Pro 8. I have always had my computer online. A windows update has never broken my machine. Sometime an update would change an audio setting. That's a 10 minute fix for me to go in, see what it changed and change it back again. Simples.

I'm not knocking anyone who unplugs, just saying I have had no major issues. Now I'm not surfing while I'm recording and I watch where I go online. I'm hip to those scam emails. If I get anything from my credit card company or my utility. I do directly to them if I have a question. Usually a scam is obvious- " Plese chek your account" lol.

Same here.  I do plan on doing a system backup though.  Long live Sonar!!!

Best Regards,
Ken
Bandlab Cakewalk - i5/8G Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Boss gt001

www.reverbnation.com/kzmaier

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 20:11:41 (permalink)
i have been working mainly with SO3 since the gift from Gibson.  I figure I have to learn something new some day, why not now?  

I know it is way more limited in its MIDI implementation, but I use only a couple of external synths anyway.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
lance134679
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/08 20:12:34 (permalink)
Currently Cakewalk software uses a DRM - an app that checks the license and manages the downloads. I wonder if there will be an option to simply download the entire application (such as Sonar) and install it offline. I'm not sure of the implications for preventing software piracy, but it would sure be convenient and bring some peace of mind to current Cakewalk software users.
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Who's throwing in the towel? 2017/12/09 01:28:24 (permalink)
In case you are unaware, you can already and always have been able download all your files manually from your account page, and install them manually. The problem would be authorizing.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1