Helpful ReplyWhy are Lifetime subs freaking out......?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:11:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2017/11/22 19:34:19
Sonar requires that you log into the CCC at least once per month to keep your activation current. When the CCC checks with home for updates it checks your registration. 

This is not true. I leave my DAW offline. I went from about May until Aug offline and everything worked 100%. 
I eneded up upgrading W10 and Sonar in Aug and had nothing but trouble since. But I now could not live without the improvments to the PVR so I'm not rolling back. At this point I'm 98% stable with most of my issues being licencers for XNL, Ilok and E licencer been screwing up. Sonar has only crashed once this month. 

The biggest issue for us will be the future of new installs. You better build a solid computer  and get this all working and unplug it from the internet. If the server does goes down you will be shut out of further installs as even offline activation involved Emailing Cake and getting a code, a one time code. 

If there's any future in our version of Sonar it will be the fact that the code is worth money to someone and Sonar will re appear possibley with a new name. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:17:02 (permalink)
I have lifetime updates and am taking this news as a warning to begin transitioning all of my Sonar projects to a different DAW.
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:25:41 (permalink)
bitflipper

The problems will occur when you upgrade your computer and need to re-authorize. Dimension Pro, Rapture and Addictive Drums are going to be problems even if SONAR isn't. Perhaps other third-party components, too. Let's hope Gibson (or the bankruptcy court) does the right thing and sets aside a small budget for maintaining the servers. Or, even better (but less likely), allows CW to post unprotected versions for download.

Addictive Drums are authorized on XLN's site not Cakewalk's.

For me it's a good thing I never really got into Rapture or Dim Pro. Time to bounce to audio those four or five tracks out of hundreds.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:31:13 (permalink)
I think what we need to remember is that if a situation arises whereby none of us can even launch Sonar and access our old projects, then it will ultimately be extremely bad publicity for Gibson. We're talking about thousands of people with thousands if not millions of hours of creative work down the drain. Not all projects can be salvaged by simply dragging the wav's into another DAW. You also have MIDI clips, hundreds of effects/synths and all of their settings, complex routing, dozens of lanes of automation envelopes etc. Destroying everyone's creative work by making it inaccessible would be the kind of horror story that would go viral, cause massive outrage throughout the audio production world and ultimately be a huge stain on Gibson's character going forward. I for one will stop at nothing to spread the word about Gibson everywhere I can, if such an event were to occur. 

In the past, there have been times at which I have ended up having to recreate a large Sonar project from scratch due to weird stuff and corruption building up in the original project file. It's a huge amount of work getting everything just the same, especially in projects with upwards of 100 tracks, hundreds of effects, dozens of synths, hundreds of MIDI clips and all manner of sends and sidechains and whatnot going on. I can only imagine how much harder it would be to do in a new DAW I wasn't familiar with. I have dozens of unfinished projects like this. Our #1 priority has to be to pressure Gibson to ensure the basic operation of our software for the foreseeable future. If they won't make that guarantee, then we need to make sure that what they did to us goes down on record, including the editing of their Wikipedia page. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:36:50 (permalink)
From this article (link below) looks like Gibson overall is not in the "best" condition.
https://www.bizjournals.c...on-faces-mounting.html

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:41:22 (permalink)
bapu
bitflipper

The problems will occur when you upgrade your computer and need to re-authorize. Dimension Pro, Rapture and Addictive Drums are going to be problems even if SONAR isn't.

Addictive Drums are authorized on XLN's site not Cakewalk's.

Yep, exactly what I said, a few posts back. Same is true of Melodyne Essentials (authorized by Celemony).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:41:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/11/22 17:42:47
double post

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
bapu
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:43:00 (permalink)
JonD
double post

Don't mind if I do.

bapu
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 17:43:02 (permalink)
JonD
double post

Don't mind if I do.

anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 18:10:46 (permalink)
Ron2112
I'm seeing posts from many lifetime subs who seem to think that your software will stop working tomorrow.  It won't.

There's no functional difference from folks who bought Sonar 4 or 8 and decided to stop there.  The only difference is that you now have the "final" version of Sonar Platinum.  It could -- and probably will -- last for another decade with no problems.

You're just not getting anymore updates.  Buying the "lifetime" upgrade enabled you to cut the cord from the Cakewalk servers.  At $150, it was about the same price as all the other upgrades that had a lifetime of about 2 years.

Yeah, the situation sucks, but some of you need to get a grip.

Get bent.

If you don't see the issue, you are deluded.

Many people were barely into a renewed subscription when they then paid even more to get lifetime.  They didn't get their money's worth even at the annual payment rate; which isn't what they paid for, to begin with.

People got hosed.

I'm not mad at Cakewalk.  I'm furious at Gibson, however.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
Ron2112
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 19:21:08 (permalink)
anxiousmofo
Ron2112
I'm seeing posts from many lifetime subs who seem to think that your software will stop working tomorrow.  It won't.

There's no functional difference from folks who bought Sonar 4 or 8 and decided to stop there.  The only difference is that you now have the "final" version of Sonar Platinum.  It could -- and probably will -- last for another decade with no problems.

You're just not getting anymore updates.  Buying the "lifetime" upgrade enabled you to cut the cord from the Cakewalk servers.  At $150, it was about the same price as all the other upgrades that had a lifetime of about 2 years.

Get bent.

Many people were barely into a renewed subscription when they then paid even more to get lifetime.  They didn't get their money's worth even at the annual payment rate; which isn't what they paid for, to begin with.

People got hosed.

If that's your personal situation, then you've got no one but yourself to blame for waiting so long.  For those of us who jumped when the offer was first made, we got our money's worth two times over.

And my bet is that SONAR in it's present form will be usable for over a decade from now.  Assuming someone doesn't buy up the rights to release SONAR X5.
anxiousmofo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 338
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 19:30:56 (permalink)
Ron2112
anxiousmofo
Ron2112

Get bent.

People got hosed.

If that's your personal situation, then you've got no one but yourself to blame for waiting so long.  For those of us who jumped when the offer was first made, we got our money's worth two times over.

And my bet is that SONAR in it's present form will be usable for over a decade from now.  Assuming someone doesn't buy up the rights to release SONAR X5.

I bought it within a day of it being offered, myself.  And I had just renewed.

Not everyone's annual renewal date was the same, y'see.

Tangled roots perplex her ways.

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP, Windows 10 x64, i7 5820k, Asrock X99 OC Formula, 16 GB Corsair DDR4, Asus STRIX GTX 970,  SSD's for OS and samples, Akai MPK61, and myriad VST's.
Mr. torture
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
Re: Why are Lifetime subs freaking out......? 2017/11/22 19:35:59 (permalink)
This is nothing more than a pump-n-dump by Gibson. They have probably known for years they were going to phase this out and just looked to cash in.

I've been a Sonar guy for a long time, but I will be moving on.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1