Helpful ReplyWhy are hardware dongles so bad?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
2017/12/26 14:32:53 (permalink)

Why are hardware dongles so bad?

Why are hardware dongles (ilok, etc.) so bad?

I keep seeing people complain about them and / or swear they will never use any software that requires them.

A long time ago, I bought Halion3. It requires the Steinberg key for authorization. I have never updated this software or its license. Since that time, I have been through two reinstalls of Windows on that computer, a second computer and a reinstall of Windows on that, and finally a third computer that has never been online.

Through all of this, all I had to do was dig out my disk, reinstall Halion3 and plug my key in and I was back in business. Everything else took days recovering passwords, shooting emails back and forth and all kinds of associated rigamarole.

Byron Dickens
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 14:53:07 (permalink)
I have no qualms with Elicensers, and I have both a Steinberg, and an
iLok 2.  Sometimes they were flaky with past OS's, but they've been rock
solid for several years now, and I agree, it sure makes it easier to get
back up and running

fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 14:55:42 (permalink)
One reason, for me, it ties up a useable USB port.

I see quite a few posts on recording forums of problems with iLok, probably the most widely used for audio software.  I had a key go bad, while under extended warranty from Sweetwater.  I had to deal with iLok for a replacement and then deal with Sweetwater to get a refund for what I paid iLok for the new key and to move my registered items to the new key.  What I had on iLok was unusable for nearly a month.

I don't have a lot on iLok but I've moved everything I could except POD Farm 2 off of iLok.  What I have left is either never used anymore or rarely used except for the POD Farm 2.  If Line 6 would change POD Farm so it could be authorized like some of their other products I wouldn't have the need for iLok and thus free up a USB port (that I have use for).

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 15:00:45 (permalink)
I have spent hours and many emails with iLok's laughable support system lately trying to get their licensing software for iLok installed on my new computer--to no avail.

I have decided to remove the iLok, and will never buy a product requiring it again.  I'm out a thousand bucks or so on software I bought years back but...principles.  :-)
Bonjo
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 15:01:59 (permalink)
I bought a configured music PC where I made sure I had plenty of usb ports, 6 rear, 4 front, I've had Ilok3 and the Steinberg thingy plugged in for however long at the rear and have never had any probs with those items or the software they, erm, protect. Can't see the fuss personally.

Win10 64-bit. Intel i7QuadCore 4.20GHz. 32Gb Ram. Sonar Platinum.

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 15:24:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tlw 2017/12/27 04:25:10
Why are they so bad?  Well, for one thing...it's kind of like that guy at the stop light that does that slow crawl routine, several car lengths behind the next car so that his car never fully stops.  If everyone did that the average stop light would have 3 blocks of cars stacked up, all doing this slow crawl thing...it's fine, when he's the only one.

If every software program on my PC required a dongle, I wouldn't have any USB ports for anything else.  Dongles are fine, I guess...as long as none of your other programs do it, too.  Oh, they think they're really clever with the dongles, yet your computer would be laughably unusable if every software company did that. 

Plus, it's just another thing to fail.  Sounds like yours has been fine.  I've read others having issues with their dongles, completely ruining plans for recording sessions and weekends of productivity, over a freakin dongle.  When you negatively impact your paying customers with theft prevention devices, kind of rubs people the wrong way. 

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 15:44:54 (permalink)
I have an iLok for my IvoryII and East West sound sample programs. It set up fairly easily and hasn't caused me any problems. Years ago the myth was every program would have it's own dongle and your computer would be lit up like a Christmas tree.
Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 15:52:47 (permalink)
From a practical standpoint, I only use laptops.  I have a 17 in 'home' laptop and a 13 in live/gigs laptop.  The gigs laptop has 2 usb ports. One for my keyboard controller,  and one for the sound card.  If I wanted to use a dongle, I would have to get some sort of hub.  And on top of making sure I have all my cables and such,  I'd need to be concerned with keeping track of a dongle.  Seems like a lot of hoops and bs to jump through for something that is of no use to me.  There is an annoyance factor for me.  Also, I paid for all my software,  so why should I need to jump though ridiculous hoops because some other a hole didn't?  Thankfully,  everything I use can be authorized to the computer itself.  No need for dongles. Except for Waves.   
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 16:12:00 (permalink)
Bottom line, dongles are a calculated risk for users that work great for some and cause grief for others.

I've had both iLok and e-licenser for years with no problems... But I've been on the various audio forums long enough to know that when a dongle fails, it can be a nightmare for the user.

It's one thing if a VST stops working because its dongle failed -- You can just work around that.  But what if your Cubase dongle fails?  Then you're dead in the water, until you get it resolved. 

To be fair, Steinberg offers a type of insurance to minimize downtime, so if using Cubase is important to you, then you should also invest in their safety net.  If not, any failure is on you (For choosing an e-licensered DAW).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 16:25:07 (permalink)
JonD
Bottom line, dongles are a calculated risk for users that work great for some and cause grief for others.

I've had both iLok and e-licenser for years with no problems... But I've been on the various audio forums long enough to know that when a dongle fails, it can be a nightmare for the user.

It's one thing if a VST stops working because its dongle failed -- You can just work around that.  But what if your Cubase dongle fails?  Then you're dead in the water, until you get it resolved. 

To be fair, Steinberg offers a type of insurance to minimize downtime, so if using Cubase is important to you, then you should also invest in their safety net.  If not, any failure is on you (For choosing an e-licensered DAW).

iLok has the same thing called "Zero Down Time", in case your iLok goes bad.

bdickens
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 18:07:34 (permalink)
USB hub, anyone?

Byron Dickens
bdickens
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 18:13:42 (permalink)
What if your whole computer goes down and you loose ALL your authorizations?

As you might infer from my original post, that has been more of an issue for me.

YMMV.

Byron Dickens
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 19:41:05 (permalink)
If it works for you fine. I have had awful experiences with them. I find the idea of having to add another uneccessary layer of complexity annoying. It adds cost and abither variable to mix. I had a hardware dongle once and it was a nightmare. Even the software version has been a pain at times, resulting in me just abandoning software.
Dave76
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 20:46:05 (permalink)
If you are using a single computer that sits in the studio or at home and never moves then, yeah, dongles aren't the end of the world. However, some of us use laptops and some of us take those out to places and some us use both a desktop and laptop. Really not hard to imagine why dongles are a pain in that case.

We are talking an order of magnitude greater chance of being forgotten, lost, or stolen compared to a laptop not to mention the ridiculousness of having a USB hub dangling off your laptop if you need the extra ports just for the dongles (not unlikely if you only have two ports and are using an audio interface and MIDI controller). 

Imagine someone uses Cubase, Slate and Waves -- not an unheard of combination given the popularity of these. That's three separate dongles (assuming they keep the Waves license on a USB key to make them easy to move). Waves thankfully lets you use your own key so you can use a nice little low profile key but the Steinberg and iLok keys stick out like a sore thumb. Basic physics tells us that a leverage arm like that gives a nice mechanical advantage to the potential of a bump to break something or knock it out. Again, if you never leave the studio or your home, no biggie but some of us want to use this stuff on dark stages for gigs, on trains to get some editing done, etc.. 

Regarding the possibility of a computer failure versus the USB key, SSD failures are REALLY rare these days but let's assume it happens. Off the top of my head here are the licensing schemes for some of my favorite dongle free software:
- SONAR: No published limit on activations (just the EULA limitation of two installs at a time). Reinstall and move on with life.
- Studio One: 5 activations allowed at a time. You'd have to use up all five of these before worrying about downtime. 
- Eventide: 2 iLok activations with option of using either PC or iLok USB key. Best of both worlds since you get to pick whether you want to use the dongle or not. I keep my two activations on my desktop and laptop so if I did lose one system, I'd still have the other so zero downtime and I'd just have to deal with manually moving the license back and forth while dealing with support if I wanted to use it on both systems during that time.
- XLN: 2 activations with ability to easily remove an existing activation via the web site. No downtime, no need to contact support.
- Celemony: Allows you to easily remove an existing activation via the web site. No downtime, no need to contact support.

With the dongles, you also get the added privilege of spending your own money to support the vendor's licensing system. I'm not familiar with Steinberg's but with iLok ZDT you need to purchase two iLok keys (because temporary backup licenses that require the key are useless without the key) so that is $80 one time followed by $30 a year for the replacement coverage. Note that the replacement coverage only gets you 14-day temporary licenses while you argue with the different software companies unless you enable loss/theft protection and remember to run the iLok license manager every 90 days to phone home. I have to wonder how many people pay the $30/year thinking they are covered without realizing they need the backup key and the 90 day check-ins.

Maybe they don't bother you but dongles are a no-go for me. Cubase is just completely out of the question for me while they have the current system. Simple as that. Maybe if they used iLok or generic USB keys, I could rationalize it since I'd be using a single devices for different things but I'm really not interested in throwing in (and paying for) a third USB dongle that gets me nothing but negative value as an end user. 

anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 21:20:10 (permalink)
Personally I see no problem with them in theory the issue, as has been pointed out already, is when theory meets practice.

USB ports tend to be in short supply no matter how many you have. USB hubs can help but you need to do a bit of planning to make sure that you optimise the available bandwidth. The use of a Notebook Computer accentuates these problems as they have less available ports and hubs need their own power source so are not ideal if you want to be truly mobile.

For those who use two computers there is the added issue of making sure that it is in the right place at the right time and then lot losing it when moving it.

Historically some users have experienced problems with hardware dongles being unreliable. I'm not sure what percentage of users have actually had problems but it is a common complaint. No matter how reliable they are now these doubts will always be there.

I just did the Cubase crossgrade and added Wavelab Elements, I had a spare USB port that I could use so no problems there for me. I always ran Sonar on a single computer so that restriction did not bother me either.

Not having used a hardware dongle before I had not positive or negative opinion, I chose Cubase, it came with a dongle, I installed the dongle.

Like a lot of the discussions here there is no universal right or wrong just a right or wrong for you (or me).

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/26 21:52:45 (permalink)
In an ideal world developers would not need dongles to protect their intellectual property from thieves. Sadly we aren't there yet, so most developers implement some form of copy protection. Hardware was popular, then it wasn't, then it was, then it wasn't... truth is I've yet to find a truly non-intrusive copy protection scheme.

Ironically, hardware dongles do have a benefit or two that software can't match. The one that I like is the ability to install my software on multiple computers at multiple locations and use the software wherever I am. That can be really handy.

I still wish people would stop stealing so developers could spend all their time and energy on their products, and I didn't have to deal with multiple copy protection schemes, but wishing seldom works.

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
bdickens
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 00:48:50 (permalink)
I never thought of the loosing the dongle angle. God as my witness, I"m the guy who has never - not once- ever lost his keys, wallet, etc. For me, going tbrough the authorization rigamarole is such a royal PITA that keeping up with dongles & USB hubs is a small price.

I wish too that the world was such a place that one could just install the software and be done with it.

Byron Dickens
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 01:14:57 (permalink)
First off let me say great thread topic. Regardless of whether you've got a dog in the race or not, the responses are an entertaining peek into the human psyche and our ability to rationalize or make excuses for almost anything. Well done all.

Ok now on to it. Until this thread I never really thought about which side of this question I fall on. Now that I'm thinking about it I guess the best way I can sum it up is with a bit of joke that serves as an analogy.

I had a girlfriend once who used to bug the crap out of me about putting on a suit and tie to go out to dinner. I hate suits and ties. That disagreement was one of several issues that ultimately broke us up. So that gives some perspective on me. Then a friend asked me if I'd be willing to put on suit and tie to go on a hot date (i.e. involving sex) with Angelia Jolie. I said I'd put on a scuba mask, clown shoes and a tutu if that's what she wanted.

And so it is with dongles. People can say whatever they want about how they'll never use one. But if the software is attractive enough, most will suddenly decide its no bother at all.

And I think that is what makes some of the comments in this thread all the more entertaining for me.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 04:28:28 (permalink)
They're not a hassle at all. It's just that a few people have reported bad experiences with them, but the vast majority have no issues at all. You plug it in, you're in business. The authorizing has come a long way. I have both ilok and eLicenser, and I've never had the slightest problem with either. Don't let that be a factor in your decision. And it does prevent piracy, which is a good thing.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 05:51:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/12/27 15:37:00
The bottom line is that dongles are what keep most of the software companies in business. Sonar was heavily pirated for years. The bakers actually considered a dongle, but the backlash would have been huge if it was implemented, so they dropped the idea. Now, we have no Sonar. 

When the ilok was cracked a few years back, Slate plugs were pirated. Steven Slate gave out the figures that showed the huge drop in sales that month, over half their revenue evaporated, and it took a serious chunk of change out of their bottom line for that year. It took until the next year for their sales to rebound. Slate stated that if they hadn't overcome the cracks, there was no way they would have stayed open. 

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 08:44:08 (permalink)
bdickens
I keep seeing people complain about them and / or swear they will never use any software that requires them.

I guess in case e-mail program on your phone needs a dongle, you also will join the club of dongle haters

I was attracted by Sonar since there was no online/hardware authorization. So now I have switched to the (only) DAW which has no online/hardware authorization. We should at least try to protect our freedom.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 14:01:12 (permalink)
I have several dongles and lots of USB ports/hubs. I have never had any problems. Now that dongles are USB it's a damn site easier than it was on an Atari ST where you only had one port to plug a dongle in and would have to physically swap dongles if you had more than one. 

I wouldn't be happy if all my software required a dongle. But I think if all software companies used just one universal dongle that worked reliably that would be so much better than the current requirement to have different dongles.

The thing I do like about dongles is that it makes the software portable - you just need to install that software on another machine and insert your dongle to use it. Then after the session, you take your dongle away with you and know that your license isn't going to get compromised or stolen.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 18:42:41 (permalink)
I have never bought into the notion that dongles or any copy protection affects sales one way or the other. They are true seperate issues. Until someone shows me a pool of data confirming pirates will buy something they were unwilling to buy to begin with. The most heavily pirated software happens to also be the besr selling software so that is somewhat contradictory. It is easy to get a pirated copy of FL and Ableton. Doesn't seem to affect sales.
rfssongs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 21:12:09 (permalink)
I am currently hassling with an Ilok that says it's not mine. I've got the package & receipt but I can't use it or the software I just bought. It was a hassle setting up & it took a day for the software to show up in the list & now that I try to transfer the Authorization I get the message that someone else own's the Ilok that is sitting in my USB port. Initially I refused to buy any software that required this. I guess my instinct was right.
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 21:52:19 (permalink)
I have a friend who runs a pro studio.  Once some time ago his iLok went faulty at the same time as the iLok server went down.  It took him well over a week to even be able to use his software. He lost clients, reputation and thousands of dollars.

Granted the chances of those two things happening at the same time are small but the fact is, it did happen.  Any system that relies on this is madness in my opinion.  For every piece software that requires an iLok there is an equivalent thing that does not.  I have a beautiful and powerful setup that has no such iLok anywhere in sight so it can be done. Plus it is all off line 99% of the time too which is also a great thing.  Any programs that have to be on line to work also represent bad design. 

The new cloud iLok system might be the go though.  That would be the only thing I would consider.  I have also very rarely met anyone who jumps from computer to computer and pulling their iLok key out and inserting them into different machines.  That just does not happen much in reality. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
rfssongs
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 22:00:06 (permalink)
From what I can see not all software works with the Cloud or with the Computer Authorization. Be careful who you buy from. Unfortunately for me Antares looks like it is one such vendor. We will see maybe at some point Ilok will help me - just not yet.
JohanSebatianGremlin
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 402
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/27 23:51:35 (permalink)
azslow3
So now I have switched to the (only) DAW which has no online/hardware authorization. We should at least try to protect our freedom.

Protect your freedom? Oh puh-leeze. I don't recall seeing where anyone invented a USB dongle that is able to hold a gun to your head.

If gear was the determining factor, we would all have a shelf full of Grammies and a pocket full of change.  -microapp

i7, 32gb RAM, Win10 64bit, RME UFX
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/28 00:02:00 (permalink)
Studio One can be authorised on line and off line as well. So Sonar is not the only DAW that works like this. Also Studio can stay off line indefinitely and continue to work forever.  From what has been said around here, Sonar actually needs to be on line from time to time to confirm that you are running the full version. I am not sure if this is correct or not but if it is so, then that sucks as well. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/28 00:38:11 (permalink)
it only has to be online once to authorise- same as presonus (can do offline thru another computer online). x3 and before didn't even need that

rfssongs
Re: Why are hardware dongles so bad? 2017/12/30 21:19:17 (permalink)
After some hassles & no resolution yet - I swear I will never again buy a product that requires a dongle.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1