AnsweredWill there be an x3 F?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
markyzno
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1216
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 14:42:15 (permalink)
Let Alex reply and lock the thread and start conducting these conversations in private surely?

Like Anderton, I have been a Mod on forums since about 2000 (I'm not quite as old, no offence mate!) and as amazing as it is to have transparency, enough is enough.... This is turning into a yarn.

post edited by markyzno - 2014/04/26 14:50:37

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

Dan Cate [Cakewalk]
Administrator
  • Total Posts : 1277
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 14:42:35 (permalink)
Now that the dust has settled and heads have cooled I'd like to make a final comment on this discussion.

The point of my original post is to suggest that using the Sonar public forum as a system for bug tracking by maintaining lists can be problematic for Cakewalk's monitoring user experience. We depend on the feedback of individual users to sculpt and maintain Sonar's features therefore it is better for us that the forum remain a place for discussion rather than bug maintenance. This suggestion was not directed at any individual, nor did it or any subsequent replies contain negative sub text or ill-meaning. I also took this opportunity to assure users that, while we work on our making our user bug reporting system better,  each valid issue reported by a user is logged in a system that is very capable of tracking and prioritizing defects.

Alex, I do thank you for your efforts to help us and other users create clear and accurate reports. I thank you for your commitment to Sonar and it's betterment. I also thank you and others for helping to expose shortcomings in our current reporting system. I am asking that you continue to help others with reporting and descriptions and to continue to offer feedback on your personal use of Sonar. I am also suggesting to you and the forum community as a whole that the current trend of using the forum for bug maintenance is not the best approach to assure bugs get fixed. Feedback on your personal use and providing guidance to others is a greater use of your skills and talents. 

Thanks!
Daniel Cate [Cakewalk]  
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 15:04:01 (permalink)
X3, based on performance, is great. Based on the UI, it's awful and that's being extremely, extremely kind. Sad that I have to use X2 because it looks better. TBH, I don't even use X3. Who needs the aggravation of looking at it?

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 15:11:33 (permalink)
Guitarpima
X3, based on performance, is great. Based on the UI, it's awful and that's being extremely, extremely kind. Sad that I have to use X2 because it looks better. TBH, I don't even use X3. Who needs the aggravation of looking at it?

Visually, I cant tell much difference really asides from a natural progression and I sit in Sonar for at least 8 hours a day.

Sonar Platinum 64 bit > Pro tools 10.3.2 >Intel i7 3770K > 16Gb Ram > Gigabyte Z77-D3H Motherboard> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2 GB > ATi RADEON HD5700 > 240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD> Win 10 home 64 bit> Delta 1010 > MOTU Audio Express > MA-15D's > NI Ultimate 9 > NI Kontrol S61 1.1 > NI MAschine Studio 2.3 / KORG MS-20 Mini - Arturia MicroBrute > KORG SQ1 - KORG Kaoss Pad KP3 > iPad and IO Dock 2 running various bits > Bunch of guitars >

Sound Design on IMDB --

Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 15:20:06 (permalink)
The reason why I suggested creating a site elsewhere was to avoid traffic complaints which I seem to be getting. I had far better suggestions though which I hope you would consider. As I said earlier I'd do this only if you asked me, and I agree it would not be a productive measure. I'm just giving you options not threats... Lordy!

I just have a list and I maintain it. I write down steps to repro or I validate existing steps, I post my results and I give feedback and that is that. Here is an idea, get your QA dept to do what I'm doing (and yes I know they are doing it internally, I never thought any different) and I become automatically obsolete.

Sorry I'm not interested in your beta team as that would require me to sign an NDA. The only scenario on where I would consider signing an NDA is when I could be paid a reasonable amount for my efforts on a professional basis. I do wish the best for your beta programme however I'm sure their work should be commended we don't hear much about it, so maybe this is the moment to recognise the people who do this stuff. Of course they will have their free copy of X4 good luck to them.

Again time after time I keep praising your efforts. Jeeze what else do I need to do. What you've been doing with X3 is awesome that's why you don't see me complaining rather praising. Please stop thinking that I'm trying to bury your achievements. I am not Kevin Spacey in House of Cards.

Now if you want to talk about support rather than the QA I would recommend another thread, maybe the thread you linked to. I view this as yet another distraction right now and if you want me to bang on about support on this thread it will never end. Best avoided then, I hardly ever use it anyway.

Thank you for at least recognising what we do, you have (and have always had since X3) my recognition. Keep up the good work. Your improvements do not go unnoticed.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 15:33:07 (permalink)
I agree if others do. Lock the thread. Thanks for the responses.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 15:51:30 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
 The only scenario on where I would consider signing an NDA is when I could be paid a reasonable amount for my efforts on a professional basis. I

The penny has dropped.

Sound Design on IMDB --

Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:03:22 (permalink)
You might say that but I'm afraid I couldn't possibly comment
I'm sure they are quite capable of doing an excellent job without me somehow :).

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:17:26 (permalink)
CakeAlexS

Cake will of course do what they like, but here is how I suggest Cake resolve the current issue: 

Alex ,
I hope you don't think that I am looking to attack you with what I am about to say 
I am not looking to attack you at all 
I feel that this simple sentence you wrote actually holds in part the key as to why there might be so many misunderstandings and miss communications that have surfaced in this thread and others ….

this is my opinion so take it for what is worth …that could mean nothing or that can mean something ..you decide 

it is inherent in human nature that sometimes our passions can have the abillity to cloud our perceptions as to what constitutes the difference between a reasonable expectation and an (somewhat) unreasonable expectation ….

often times when we have a reasonable expectaion it is pretty much a given that our needs and purposes for entering into an exchange on any level will be met ...
it has been my experience that when I have a reasonable expectation .
I'm going in with my eyes open and if things happen to change on the other end of things where my reasonable expectations are not gonna be met …it is probably in my best interest to walk away to find another way to meet my needs….

now lets look at unreasonable , and I'm not saying that you are unreasonable by saying 

"here is how I suggest Cake resolve the current issue:…."

this is perfectly within your rights voice your suggestions , I'm sure by doing so you have probably helped people with some of your suggestions …..that is not the issue I'm about to discuss 

the very term suggestion it self assumes the stance of becoming a subtle command 

btw... I'm not a english or spellcheck Nazi 

according to Wikipedia the opening definition of suggestion is 

"Suggestion is the psychological process by which one person guides the thoughts, feelings, or behaviour of another."

in the real world and life ..what does this really mean ?

I think that it is very possible that when "one offers up a suggestion"
part of the up front territory is to consider that the very act of offering a suggestion is to eventually meet some form of resistance …for having offered up the suggestion in the first place 
even highly evolved creative people don't really like being told what to do …
at least with them it is highly possible and likely for the suggestion to plant a seed ...
people that don't value integrity …or people that are apathetic to change …might just do a superficial shine em on job to get the person who is doing the suggesting to move on so they can go back to bizznez as usual ….

now as a casual observer of this thread I'm not looking to offer up any suggestions 
I am only willing to take full responsibility for sharing my unsolicited perceptions and views of what I perceive to be going on here ...

Cakewalk has amply demonstrated to me that as a company they hold a very high degree of integrity
I'm very impressed with the software and the amount of participation that the people that work and develop the software contribute to keeping " Us SONAR " users in the loop ...
the amount of tollerance towards allowing the users of the software to voice a free expression of opposing views is astounding ….

Alex , you and I have drawn swords in the past and I want you to know that I do respect you 
Your a smart guy , I feel your hearts in the right place and your putting your self out there in the line of fire 
that all takes courage ….you help people….I give you that ….I know you care ...
the thing is nobody asked you to ….you volunteered 
my concern is that it is very possible for a person to be "doing all the right things for all the right reasons " and to wind up actually undermining and wind up receiving  the wrong results….or the complete opposite of what the desired goal was in the first place ...

this is something I know in myself 

Cake danced around this a bunch of ways and it has come up in a subtle ways a few time on this thread  that the captain of the Cakewalk ship is Cakewalk ….

let emm do what they want to do  ….that  will free you up …you want to make music , don't you ?

from my point of view , I don't want you to paint your self into a corner and get frustrated because things aren't 
happening the way you might feel they should be happening ….it's their product 

A person try's to do all the right things , starts out with a strong focused good motivation , gets conflicting results
then over the course of time frustration sets in and before they know it they wind up Alienated .

I've been down this road before …I know what I'm talking about …I've paid the price ...
now here's my suggestion  …I'm just kidding 

to the general population here, 
I honestly think there has been a lot of give and take from all participants that have contributed to this highly charged passionate discussion  and for me this thread has certainly been an interesting read 

cheers,  

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/04/26 16:35:26

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

JimmyBoy
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:18:30 (permalink)
Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]

Hi Jim,

Just wanted to follow up. On the report you referenced, looks like the breakdown happened due to a typo in your email address.

This explains no returned communication from Cakewalk and also why I couldn't locate it and you couldn't pull it up again. I can't update the address from my phone but I'll update it next time I have a few and I'm at my PC.

-Ryan

hmmm, I see, interesting that I could have made a typo on my own email address... Not saying it's impossible, I may have entered it wrongly by mistake, I can't recall.  Or does the serial number I entered not link in with my email address?

May I make one suggestion, can you please add another field to confirm email address? This will help in any typos made in an email address...

http://cakewalk.com/suppo...oblemreport.aspx 

Ryan would you be able to update the email address to the correct address please, or should I log a new bug?

Cheers
Jim
post edited by JimmyBoy - 2014/04/26 16:24:47

You this read wrong....

JimmyBoy SoundCloud

Sonar Producer X3e, Z3TA+2.1, TH2 x64 2.2.17 Full, Amplitude 3, Windows 10 x64, ...
HP ENVY 17-j005tx Notebook, IDT High Definition Audio CODEC, ASIO4aLL2 
HP ENVY Recline 27-k001a TouchSmart, Scarlett 2i2, Samson G-Track, Samson Graphite 49

[utube]https://youtu.be/Uds7g3M-4lQ[/utube] 

markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:22:57 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
You might say that but I'm afraid I couldn't possibly comment
I'm sure they are quite capable of doing an excellent job without me somehow :).

There are better ways of going about becoming a beta tester than going public surely?

And a non disclosure agreement isnt a deal breaker to make money, its a simple corporate necessity in contract form that forbids you to expose the secrets of the project you are working on.

I have to sign them all the time in the film world 

Anyway, THEY ARE doing a great job without you, thats why we are all here.

Sound Design on IMDB --

Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:32:34 (permalink)
 OK here's the breakdown coming...

"Cake will of course do what they like, but here is how I suggest Cake resolve the current issue: "

It should not be viewed negatively. Obviously I am not a part of Cakewalk and they should be able to do what they like (as I should be able to within boundaries). It does not mean I shouldn't be allowed to make suggestions however. I don't wish to tell anybody what to do. I'm trying to be polite in my own way I guess.

The other alternative would be to say "Cakewalk must do this, or must do that", and "here is where they are going wrong" that would be coming across as arrogant in my book.

Now I'm sick and fed up with listening to my own voice, god knows what others must think by now. Thanks for the comments I get it as well intended.

Cheers...

{EDIT I WROTE SOMETHING WRONG}

Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 16:32:43 (permalink)
Yes... Most things are well with this release... Except Zoom which is still an in-my-face constant nag.... I'd love a quick fix for that alone and I'd be happy to wait for the next paid version for anything else...

I know I dream too much...

;-)

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:16:22 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
 OK here's the breakdown coming...

"Cake will of course do what they like, but here is how I suggest Cake resolve the current issue: "

It should not be viewed negatively. Obviously I am not a part of Cakewalk and they should be able to do what they like (as I should be able to within boundaries). It does not mean I shouldn't be allowed to make suggestions however. I don't wish to tell anybody what to do. I'm trying to be polite in my own way I guess.

The other alternative would be to say "Cakewalk must do this, or must do that", and "here is where they are going wrong" that would be coming across as arrogant in my book.

Now I'm sick and fed up with listening to my own voice, god knows what others must think by now. Thanks for the comments I get it as well intended.

Cheers...

{EDIT I WROTE SOMETHING WRONG}

The problem is Alex, you have taken this on board yourself. I still dont get why.

Good intentions dont mean you are doing the right thing.

Why dont we just find a middle ground to all this, walk away and become a lovely forum?

p.s and lock this thread.

Sound Design on IMDB --

Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:26:42 (permalink)
Marky I read your all of your posts, thankyou.

markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:27:52 (permalink)
CakeAlexS
Marky I read your all of your posts, thankyou.

Much obliged 

Sound Design on IMDB --

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:30:25 (permalink)
markyzno

The problem is Alex, you have taken this on board yourself. I still dont get why.

I'll answer that so he doesn't have to.

He really likes Sonar. He wants it to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. Not only will that benefit him, but if Sonar can be more reliable by a huge factor than any DAW out there, then it will have an insane competitive advantage that will allow Sonar to sell a zillion copies and therefore, survive and prosper so that he can keep using software he really likes.

The problem arises because the core issue is "what is the most efficient way to deal with bugs the way the system is currently, given that it will likely change at some point?" The Bakers have identified what that method is, which is not the same method that Alex assumed would be optimum.

And now, it's time for a special reward for everyone who has slogged through all this verbiage. This is one of my favorite links of all time for making people go "WTF?!??!!???" Enjoy!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:48:40 (permalink)
> The Bakers have identified what that method is, which is not the same method that Alex assumed would be optimum.

Huh?

Craig I say again. We write down steps to reproduce and report them and put them in a list and chuck 'em into the reporter. What Cake QA does with it is up to them. Nothing of Cake processes bugs comes as any surprise to me. I've worked QA Dept's before the process itself isnt rocket science either at least to me so I don't see any revelations here.

markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:52:45 (permalink)
Anderton
markyzno

I'll answer that so he doesn't have to.

He really likes Sonar. He wants it to be as close to perfect as humanly possible. Not only will that benefit him, but if Sonar can be more reliable by a huge factor than any DAW out there, then it will have an insane competitive advantage that will allow Sonar to sell a zillion copies and therefore, survive and prosper so that he can keep using software he really likes.

Dont open up a can of more worms!!!

I think Alex is perfectly capable of speaking for himself!!

Sound Design on IMDB --

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 17:58:00 (permalink)
Agreed, I was trying to give him some props and summarize the fact that he often stresses how much he likes Sonar, which sometimes gets lost in the noise...but you're right, anything that's stated can be misinterpreted. For example by this: "The Bakers have identified what that method is, which is not the same method that Alex assumed would be optimum" I simply meant the use of the forum to track bugs.

But really, you should be clicking on the link I provided. It's a lot more fun

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
declan
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 18:15:00 (permalink)
I don't remember the date when X3e was released, but it addressed my main issues and I was happy.

That night someone announced here what he was going to do, some asked him not to, but the next morning there were about 40 threads bumped & Sonar was well-heckled in other forums.  I'm sure that didn't hurt CW (well maybe) but people were telling me to come to this site to see what a piece of crap X3 is. 

But maybe since one or 2 people here think there "was no other way" or "no better way" to "feed" The Bakers it happened.

As someone here said, CW can do what it wants to here (profound, isn't it?) so I'm staying out of this, but I can't say I'm pleased.
markyzno
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 18:16:32 (permalink)
Anderton

But really, you should be clicking on the link I provided. It's a lot more fun

I just bought 15 metres, better be worth it 

Sound Design on IMDB --

cowboydan
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 908
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 18:32:51 (permalink)
I dont believe that this issue here will be resolved any time soon. I get the indication that this is going to spiral out of control. I hope it doesnt.
Using Sonar is like eating fine food. Everyone has their own tastes and want it to taste the way they expect it to. There will always be bugs in the software. Even Microsoft knows that. The forum will always be reporting bugs in every way possible in order to get them fixed.
The only thing that is common ground here is that everyone loves to work with Sonar and are very pleased with the progress Cakewalk has made up until now. It would be nice to comprimise the differences here so that everyone is happy in the way bugs are reported in the forum.
I hope we dont get a cakefight here on the forum.

Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 19:07:13 (permalink)
I don't think it will spiral. If Cake keeps it up all will be fine in the end. I see no reason why it wouldn't happen.

Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 19:44:05 (permalink)
Nice link BTW Craig. Lord those snake oil guys....

OK my turn....
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/715280

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 20:36:45 (permalink)
markyzno
Ryan, I applaud you...Seriously....How many other software forums have such a heart felt interaction like that from the makers?

Makes me love the product I swear by professionally even more.

Yes!!

markyzno

Alex, for crying out loud listen.....Learn....and be humble.

Yes!!

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Splat
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 20:43:08 (permalink)

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 21:00:31 (permalink)
$600 for a USB cable? WTF?

Someone worried about sound in a p**n movie? WTF?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
CoteRotie
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1112
Re: Will there be an x3 F? 2014/04/26 22:26:48 (permalink)
Anderton

And now, it's time for a special reward for everyone who has slogged through all this verbiage. This is one of my favorite links of all time for making people go "WTF?!??!!???" Enjoy!

That's awesome, Craig, I love this stuff.  Just like the $1000 AC line cords.....

P.T. Barnum would be proud.

John

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
3 cats 1 crazydog
Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
Win 10  
SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4