Helpful ReplyWindows 10 Install, drums not playing well

Author
ynot052
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2018/01/21 07:54:10 (permalink)

Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well

Hi, I am not an experienced user but have had Sonar Home Studio 7XL for over five years.  I have just upgraded to windows 10 computer and a number of songs have the drum pattern changed.  They play correctly in my Okyweb3 but when I am editing on my computer the drum track is totally different.  Something Simple??
post edited by ynot052 - 2018/01/21 23:52:46
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/21 15:30:26 (permalink)
The pattern or the sounds?
What is the sound output ? (A particular plugin?).
Can you check the drum maps?
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/21 16:05:42 (permalink)

Hi Tony

I assume you mean SONAR Home Studio 7XL?

The first thing I'd check in the projects where you have this problem would be in the PRV (Piano Roll View), or the Drum Map as Alex suggests. Occasionally, MIDI files I've imported into various versions of Cakewalk software (including 7XL) have somehow become transposed on import - usually to an interval of an octave above or below.

To these ends, check the notes are in the right place in the Drum Map. Or try looping a few bars, enter the PRV and drag the notes in the looped passage up and down until they trigger the correct parts of the drum kit you have loaded. Once you've identified the interval, select the whole MIDI track and transpose it all to the correct 'key'.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/21 16:39:06 (permalink)
ynot052
I have just upgraded to windows 10 computer and a number of songs have the drum pattern changed. 

Can you also elaborate on how they have changed ?
Are some drums playing, others are not ? Are they off by a split second ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/21 21:21:22 (permalink)
Well you had me look up this Okyweb player, interesting, but seems over priced considering any laptop can do the same things. Nice handy dandy package however and if it was $300 it would be a interesting tool. 
But most important is that it is a GM player. So what drum kit are you using? Some VST drum kits are not GM and therefore your kit pieces are assigned to different notes. 
The SI drums and TTS-1 are GM kits and should work. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/23 06:55:57 (permalink)
Thanks for the responses.  Feeling a bit dumb but I cant work out how to respond to each persons questions??
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/23 15:02:14 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2018/01/23 16:35:29
ynot052
Thanks for the responses.  Feeling a bit dumb but I cant work out how to respond to each persons questions??

Just hit the quote button at the end of each response you want to reply to

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 08:28:26 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
The pattern or the sounds?
What is the sound output ? (A particular plugin?).
Can you check the drum maps?

Sorry for the delay, I didn't know how to respond. 
As stated I am not very proficient with this program.  My experience is limited to editing midi files that I have purchased.  I know how to adjust volume of instruments, choose a different instrument (eg change bass guitar) and to delete tracks.  The file that I an using works perfectly in my stand alone profiler (Okyweb3) but when opened in Sonar Home studio the drum track is not correct so I am assuming that it is something to do with the drums selected within Home Studio 7XL. 
Any assistance you may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Tony S
ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 08:29:23 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey
ynot052

Just hit the quote button at the end of each response you want to reply to

Thanks for the info, got it sorted now.  Cheers
ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 08:34:00 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Hi Tony

I assume you mean SONAR Home Studio 7XL?

The first thing I'd check in the projects where you have this problem would be in the PRV (Piano Roll View), or the Drum Map as Alex suggests. Occasionally, MIDI files I've imported into various versions of Cakewalk software (including 7XL) have somehow become transposed on import - usually to an interval of an octave above or below.

To these ends, check the notes are in the right place in the Drum Map. Or try looping a few bars, enter the PRV and drag the notes in the looped passage up and down until they trigger the correct parts of the drum kit you have loaded. Once you've identified the interval, select the whole MIDI track and transpose it all to the correct 'key'.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't know how to respond. 
Yep, I have edited my original post to reflect that it is Home Studio 7XL. As stated I am not very proficient with this program however I tried transposing the drum tracks up and down several steps and this did not help.  The file that I am using works perfectly in my stand alone profiler (Okyweb3) but when opened in Sonar Home studio the drum track is not correct so I am assuming that it is something to do with the drums selected within Home Studio 7XL. 
Thanks for your suggestion, appreciated. 

Tony S
ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 08:39:56 (permalink)
chuckebaby
ynot052
I have just upgraded to windows 10 computer and a number of songs have the drum pattern changed. 

Can you also elaborate on how they have changed ?
Are some drums playing, others are not ? Are they off by a split second ?

Hi, thanks for your response.  What you are asking does describe what it sounds like and some parts do seem slightly off the beat but some of the beats actually sound like the correct drum part. The same file, which is a purchased midi file, works perfectly in my stand alone profiler (Okyweb3) but when opened in Sonar Home studio the drum track is not correct so I am assuming that it is something to do with the drums selected within Home Studio 7XL. I have no idea how to tell if this is the case, or how to fix it.  There are several midi files that are doing the identical thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 08:54:11 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Well you had me look up this Okyweb player, interesting, but seems over priced considering any laptop can do the same things. Nice handy dandy package however and if it was $300 it would be a interesting tool. 
But most important is that it is a GM player. So what drum kit are you using? Some VST drum kits are not GM and therefore your kit pieces are assigned to different notes. 
The SI drums and TTS-1 are GM kits and should work. 

Hi Cactus Music.  Thanks for your response.  Yes the Okyweb is an interesting machine and has been around for a long time now.  The Oky Web3 was the bees knees when it came out quite a few years ago as it was able to read mp3 files as well as midi's. They were very expensive as you suggested but I only paid about $300 second hand but there are very few of them ever sold second hand.  Due to demand they have not so long ago released a version 4 but I haven't looked at that one at all.

So as stated my problem is that my file, which is a purchased Bandtrax midi file plays perfectly in my Okyweb
but has bits of the drum track either missing, or playing incorrectly when played using Home Studio 7XL.  My experience is limited to editing midi files that I have purchased.  I know how to adjust volume of instruments, choose a different instrument (eg change bass guitar) and to delete tracks but I do not know how to implement the changes that you are suggesting.  I am very keen to fix my problem and happy to try what you are suggesting but don't know how to do it. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tony S
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/25 19:27:01 (permalink)
Which drum VST are you using. 
I would use the SI drums as they have more options for different kits.
It is a GM player so if the Band Trax files are GM, which I would think they are, then you should not have to edit the drums they should play using Midi channel 10 the default GM channel.

Here's a way to easily set up a project using a downloaded GM midi file. Sorry if things are a litle different in the version of Home Studio you have but this works in the new version which if you didn't already get one grab it now. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Home-studio-Giveaway-m3718858.aspx

First go to your Preferences/ Midi/Devices and uncheck all OUTPUT boxes.  Leave the inputs alone. 
Now all you need to do is OPEN any GM midi file and it will load a new project with the TTS_1 set up and ready to play the song. You can OPEN midi files directly if they have been set up to use SONAR as the default program. Or use the FILE/ OPEN and browse to your containment folder. Do not import the file, that won't work. You have to open all midi files or they loose data. 

Now you can play the song and start editing. 
I then replace all the TTS-1 sounds with better VST instruments like the drums, bass and pianos. 
The free version comes with Rapture which is loaded with sounds. That's worth $100 alone. 

I've never bought a midi track since they first came out on floppy disks. I've often auditioned the ones you pay for and find they are rarely worth the money.   There are many free versions out there and you get lucky sometimes. 80% of them are terrible versions done in something like Band in a Box by someone who is obviously not a musician.  But I gleaned about 20 new songs this last year that were well enough done that I used them with a lot of editing involved to bring them up to my standards. I don't think I've ever come across a file that didn't have many errors. Bad notes, tracks not quantizied.  Often I just make my own and I must have over 300 midi tracks by now of my own. 
Before I get dementia I will someday post these all to my Web site. 
 Here I did a sample . seems to work. Couldn't post a CWP file, they open as a txt file 
http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Docs/crocrock.mid

post edited by Cactus Music - 2018/01/25 20:54:25

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ynot052
Re: Windows 10 Install, drums not playing well 2018/01/27 01:12:17 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Which drum VST are you using. 
I would use the SI drums as they have more options for different kits.
It is a GM player so if the Band Trax files are GM, which I would think they are, then you should not have to edit the drums they should play using Midi channel 10 the default GM channel.

Here's a way to easily set up a project using a downloaded GM midi file. Sorry if things are a litle different in the version of Home Studio you have but this works in the new version which if you didn't already get one grab it now. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-Home-studio-Giveaway-m3718858.aspx

First go to your Preferences/ Midi/Devices and uncheck all OUTPUT boxes.  Leave the inputs alone. 
Now all you need to do is OPEN any GM midi file and it will load a new project with the TTS_1 set up and ready to play the song. You can OPEN midi files directly if they have been set up to use SONAR as the default program. Or use the FILE/ OPEN and browse to your containment folder. Do not import the file, that won't work. You have to open all midi files or they loose data. 

Now you can play the song and start editing. 
I then replace all the TTS-1 sounds with better VST instruments like the drums, bass and pianos. 
The free version comes with Rapture which is loaded with sounds. That's worth $100 alone. 

I've never bought a midi track since they first came out on floppy disks. I've often auditioned the ones you pay for and find they are rarely worth the money.   There are many free versions out there and you get lucky sometimes. 80% of them are terrible versions done in something like Band in a Box by someone who is obviously not a musician.  But I gleaned about 20 new songs this last year that were well enough done that I used them with a lot of editing involved to bring them up to my standards. I don't think I've ever come across a file that didn't have many errors. Bad notes, tracks not quantizied.  Often I just make my own and I must have over 300 midi tracks by now of my own. 
Before I get dementia I will someday post these all to my Web site. 
 Here I did a sample . seems to work. Couldn't post a CWP file, they open as a txt file 
http://www.cactusmusic.ca/Docs/crocrock.mid

Ok,  took me a while but I have done everything that you have suggested. I downloaded the free Home Studio and eventually managed to get it registered and open. (2nd login account as suggested).  When first used I had no output on any file that opened including the one you sent.  I followed your instructions and unchecked all of the output boxes in preferences  but started getting messages about track being set to silent etc. I reset the preferences to be my sound card, restarted the program and bingo, away it went. (By the way you crocrock midi sounds really good. Well done.)

The good news is that my drums are back and all my midis now sound like they should. I am very happy.
So I wish to sincerely thank you for your patience and advice.   It will take me a while to re-learn Home Studio but at least it is Windows 10 compatible and is working correctly which obviously my old version wasn't.

One more question if I may.  When play my midi files using the new home studio it doesn't stop at the end of the tracks. Is there a setting somewhere to do this as I find it very annoying having to manually stop the player.

Anyway thanks again to you, and to all the others that responded initially. It is truly appreciated.

Tony S

post edited by ynot052 - 2018/01/27 10:03:59
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1