Helpful ReplyWindows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 15:31:38 (permalink)
BobF
Jim Roseberry
If you have the Fireface UFX, you can plug-in a flash-drive and record directly to it.

That's way cool! If only those guys were less expensive I'd have one, but instead I'm looking at the Behringer UMC1820, for a cheep way to get 8 mic inputs in a USB class compliant device so it will work in Linux.

I'll make you a great deal on a TASCAM 16x08

Does it fix itself and then break again?   ;)

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 15:42:58 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
Jim Roseberry
What about the Behringer XR-18?
Packs a lot of bang for the buck.

I didn't realize those could be used as a DAW interface. Cool units for sure, and they had a used one recently at the GC near me. I assumed it was only for live so you could walk around a venue with an iPad to do the mixing, and not be tethered to a physical board. Still, the $250 price tag of the UMC1820 makes me think I'll probably show up at GC one day with a couple of things I don't need any longer, and get one for more like $100 after trade-in.

Has most of the features of the X32.
I think I got mine closer to the $400 mark (bought the display model).

I got it to use for band rehearsals.  Works perfectly for that.
Figured if we wanted to record (simultaneously), it would make that process quick/easy.

I might bite at around four bills. The front facing inputs would kind of put me off though, because whatever I end up getting will be going into the rack space in my desk that is right below the monitor bridge. Right now I have a Behringer RX1202FX with all my drum mic, plus guitar and vocal mics all plugged in from the back, and with all the controls for them up front.  You can see how un-cluttered of a workspace I'm used to operating in.

Glennbo

BobF
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 15:54:38 (permalink)
BobF
Jim Roseberry
If you have the Fireface UFX, you can plug-in a flash-drive and record directly to it.

That's way cool! If only those guys were less expensive I'd have one, but instead I'm looking at the Behringer UMC1820, for a cheep way to get 8 mic inputs in a USB class compliant device so it will work in Linux.

I'll make you a great deal on a TASCAM 16x08

Does it fix itself and then break again?   ;)

Yes, an awesome feature!!

Seriously, it may work great as a stand-alone 8 ch pre ... which it is designed to do.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 16:31:03 (permalink)
BobF
Yes, an awesome feature!!

Seriously, it may work great as a stand-alone 8 ch pre ... which it is designed to do.

The weird latency issue must be driver related, like the reported latency to the DAW gets messed up or something.

I have seen a few people successfully using the Tascam on Linux based systems, but that is with native USB Class Compliant drivers, which won't be as low latency as Tascam's drivers for Windows would be.

Glennbo

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 17:01:11 (permalink)

I might bite at around four bills. The front facing inputs would kind of put me off though, because whatever I end up getting will be going into the rack space in my desk that is right below the monitor bridge. Right now I have a Behringer RX1202FX with all my drum mic, plus guitar and vocal mics all plugged in from the back, and with all the controls for them up front.  You can see how un-cluttered of a workspace I'm used to operating in.

I must be strange, as I've always preferred connections on the front.  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 19:48:06 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

If I were changing things around from one recording project to the next, I would want front panel access, but I have my studio setup where any instrument or vocal that I might want to record is already cabled and mic'd up for recording. I only need to power things up, do a quick level check, and start recording. That means I'm always using the Sennheiser MD421 on the guitar speaker cab I have in the closet, but I like that mic for guitar, and don't really own any others I'd want to use in place of it.  Likewise with my drum mics. I bought them specifically for the drums, and I won't be swapping them around with others, so I really don't need easy access to the cabling side of an audio interface or mixer.

Glennbo

BobF
  • Total Posts : 8124
Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/17 23:19:41 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

If I were changing things around from one recording project to the next, I would want front panel access, but I have my studio setup where any instrument or vocal that I might want to record is already cabled and mic'd up for recording. I only need to power things up, do a quick level check, and start recording. That means I'm always using the Sennheiser MD421 on the guitar speaker cab I have in the closet, but I like that mic for guitar, and don't really own any others I'd want to use in place of it.  Likewise with my drum mics. I bought them specifically for the drums, and I won't be swapping them around with others, so I really don't need easy access to the cabling side of an audio interface or mixer.

That's where I am, except I don't mind front connects.  I don't need the number of inputs I have for concurrent recording, it's about having different sources cabled with levels set and ready to go.

I have a collection of stuff to trade myself.  I'm thinking about a PreSonus Studio 1824.  They're 5 bills every day, but with trade in and trade in discount, I could prolly get one for not much cash outlay.

I've never used one though.

Bob  --
Angels are crying because truth has died ...
Illegitimi non carborundum
--
Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Re: Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge 2018/08/18 01:26:22 (permalink)
BobF

That's where I am, except I don't mind front connects.  I don't need the number of inputs I have for concurrent recording, it's about having different sources cabled with levels set and ready to go.

I have a collection of stuff to trade myself.  I'm thinking about a PreSonus Studio 1824.  They're 5 bills every day, but with trade in and trade in discount, I could prolly get one for not much cash outlay.

I've never used one though.

Having all your stuff ready to record is where it's at. I can't count the number of times I've lost the spark of imagination before getting an idea recorded because I had to stop and be the engineer for the recording.

Just to jam around on bass, guitar, or keys I'm already in the DAW to make the routing to my monitors, so if a great musical idea were to happen, hitting record is really all that is necessary.

The bass player with the band I was playing in has the PreSonus 1824 in his studio. He uses it on a Mac with Logic or something. I never got to play with it, but he runs a busy studio using it, and has said he really likes it.

Glennbo

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1