Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips?

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2010/11/10 12:23:47 (permalink)

Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips?

Hi, I will be installing Win7 Pro 64 on a new PC which will act as both my DAW and a main PC (browsing, work, games).  The system drive will be a 120GB SSD which I will also use to store Dimension Pro and the other plugins that come with Sonar 8.5 and X1.

This is my first time installing Win7 or a 64-bit OS, and also my first time using a SSD.  I'm therefore wondering what steps I should take to ensure that I install Win7 correctly the first time, and that I keep the SSD maximized.

Do you have any tips on things I need to do before or during the actual installation, as well as post-install tweaks?  I'm a bit paranoid about messing up the SSD by installing Win7 "the wrong way".

Thanks a bunch!

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

13 Replies Related Threads

fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/11/10 12:35:40 (permalink)
    From what I understand, Win 7 maintains SSD performance automatically.  The installation of Win 7 on to an SSD is the same as it is for a standard hard drive.  If you run into any issues with the installation of Win 7 on to an SSD, it's more likely a motherboard BIOS or hard drive controller issue.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Rok Box MC
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/11/12 14:13:08 (permalink)
    To comment on the "post-installation tweaking",  I have a Win 7 64 system that is an all-in-one as well.  I found Win7 needs no tweaking (unlike XP). 

Be sure all your drivers are the 64 bit versions.

Try to keep audio on a separate drive.

Turn off wireless when working on DAW (or use hardwire), and be sure you only have your "real" audio card profiled in Sonar. 

I game, surf, and create very big Sonar projects with no problem.  Have fun.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Tripecac
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1702
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/11/12 14:59:46 (permalink)
    Excellent!  I look forward to having an all-in-one, although I will start with just the DAW stuff and migrate the games and other stuff to it slowly.

I found Win7 needs no tweaking (unlike XP).

In each version of Windows, I usually disable system restore (because I prefer making drive images manually) and indexing (because I don't search often and don't mind when it's slow).  Will there be any harm in disabling those in Win7?  Did you keep them enabled?

Try to keep audio on a separate drive.

Yeah, I always have multiple disks, and put the audio on the first partition of the second disk.

Turn off wireless when working on DAW (or use hardwire)

I'd use ethernet only; no wireless.

be sure you only have your "real" audio card profiled in Sonar.

Do you still have your "non-real" audio card enabled in Windows?  Is it onboard or something like an XFi?  Do you think having an onboard sound card enabled in Windows will interfere w/ Sonar even if it's disabled in Sonar?

Also, did you create a FAT32 boot partition in addition to your system partition?  I've always done that, though I forget why; I think it's a habit from the days when I multi-booted a lot.  If I don't plan to multi-boot, can I skip the boot partition?

And how about the swap partition - I usually create one of those, but I'm wondering if it's better to just leave the swap file in C:

post edited by Tripecac - 2010/11/12 15:01:02

tripecac.com
    Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
    Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/11/12 15:38:24 (permalink)
    this may be of interest. 
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1861804

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/11/13 10:38:54 (permalink)
    I too used to do most of the things you mention with partitioning etc.  I have stopped just about all tweaking and funky configuration under win 7 64.  I just use 3 HDs.  One for system and programs, one for audio, one for samples and everything else.

As for the other sound card, I'm sure someone will chime in and say this is a horrible idea, but I have always run two:  one for Sonar (a Echo Gina PCI card), and I use the built in motherboard 5.1 sound card for gaming, listening to music, watching movies etc.

As long as Sonar does not configure the onboard card to use, I have never run into an issue.  Everything runs smooth as silk here on this multiuse computer.  Hope you have the same luck!

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    alfiealvins
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/10 13:09:15 (permalink)
    For the installation files for about 8 GB or so would be a lot. Win7 requires further partition swap, so installation is necessary for an unpartitioned free space, in order to create the Swap partition. It is about 1 GB or so, the partition swap. I had the hardest time understanding this when I installed Windows 7 for the first time. It keeps saying can not install on my newly formatted 120GB HD, until I deleted a partition and let it create your own, I realized that it will create a secondary swap partition, which you can not do if the whole drive is already shared. If you get the file to install a new 8 GB partition, start the installation on Windows XP. If you want to dual boot, put the installation files for the XP partition and point the installer of a United Nations unprotected space. Installing Windows 7 should then pickup the current XP, and create the correct bootloader.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/10 15:50:27 (permalink)
    I made the mistake of making my system drive a 500MB SSD (Alienware).

The SSD should be for sample libraries and files only.  There are many reasons for that:
    1) Sonar Boot time is NOT enhanced, but degregated.
    2) SSD files are meant to be sought ... dlls work slowly on SSDs, IMO.
    3) SSDs become corrupted after repeated writes
    4) SSDs are only great for NI and EWQL and large/numerous sample files
    5) Window's search and other window's services operate precariously with SSDs.
    6) When SSDs are slow seeking (from multi-writes?) ... Melodyne cracks up on Win 64/7

These are just my personal results/hypotheses and require further testing/validations.

In Sum:

If not too late, do yourself a favor and purchase a 1TB/64mByte HD or something (<$100) for your system drive.  Use your SSD for numerous large data streaming files ... separately (non-system drive).

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/10 16:10:34 (permalink)
    I've had the opposites results from Philip.  Sonar boots in about 1/3 the time with it on my system SSD.  System bootup time is about 10 seconds with shutdown time at about 4 seconds.   Operating system is Windows 7 Enterprise x64. 

No issues with corruption on the SSD's I have on multiple systems.  Maybe this is an issue with the Alienware SSD.  

Jim 
    Jumbicat
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/10 16:31:22 (permalink)
    I'm with Hayn12. Great boot time, fast response. But even with a SSD drive and a 6 core CPU, Sonar will still have it's moments of "Not Responding" but not that often.

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
    http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/10 17:05:01 (permalink)
    Hydn12's and Jumbicat's feedback are certainly the norm, IIRC.  Thankyou for chiming!

But, I'd definitely refrain from using SSD as a system drive ever again ... for booting speed on an Alienware system.  In fact, I've recently sought a way to replace it with a larger 'faster' HD. 

SSDs are like gold and should only contain the most precious samples, IMHO.

My HP Envy laptop boots Windows and Sonar with roughly twice the speed as my Alienware ... but the HD-laptop streams massive EWQL samples very slowly.

Perhaps I'll dance with Dell Indian Tech support ... again.  My problem may be unique.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/11 19:03:02 (permalink)
    I have SSD's in 3 computers I use for boot drives.  All are 3-5 times faster booting and loading programs than when I was using fast hard drives.  I actually decided not to upgrade my desktop that I use for everyday use after installing the SSD.  This computer is used for email, internet, games, etc.  The SSD's make this machine scream although the CPU, a Core 2 Duo, is now over 4 years old. So between upgrading to an SSD and putting a decent video card it now has at least another year or 2 of use before upgrading.

My laptop was so darn slow with the 5200 rpm hard drive that it was frustrating.  It's my work computer and so is loaded with security software than I have no control over loading.  It would take at least 10 minutes to boot to a working desktop!  Another 3-4 minutes to shutdown.  With the SSD it is now around 1-1/2 minutes to boot to the desktop.  This machine is a domain machine so group policies are being pushed to it.  It is now a usable machine!  The prior 15 minutes to reboot was just excruciating.  Now it takes about 2 minutes for a reboot.  BTW, that's with loading McAfee HIPS and Antivirus, Instant Messenger plus the other crap that is needed for the laptop.

Jim 
    FunkenGrooven
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/22 13:09:02 (permalink)
    Hey guys I was reading your posts, I to have built a new comp I7 950 6gig 1600 RAM 2 500 gig WD HD's Win7 64bit and have installed disk 1 of Sonar 8.5, I have stopped there because I have seen people post up about placing you project files on a seperate drive I didn't see an option to do that during install also disk 2 (Beatscape) asked where I wanted to put the 4+ gig of samples would that go on the second drive as well? I am not a pro studio and I am also using this machine for internet and games and so on any thought would be appreciated or if you could direct me to this topic elsewhere on the forum I would appreciate it thanks.
    FunkenGrooven
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re:Windows 7 64-bit - Installation and configuration tips? 2010/12/22 17:40:47 (permalink)
    Ok I found a post that suggested installing Beatscape and Dim Pro on the C drive and the sample libraries on the second drive which I have done but now when I open a project DP can't find the wave files I'm not sure why it didn't tell itself where to look when I selected those settings but it didn't.  Is there some way to tell a plug in where to look for the waves without doing the install over again?  I also did the 1.5 update for DP and now the shortcut that landed on the desktop is 1.5 but the one in Sonar is still 1.2 the desktop version will load but I can't here a thing and have selected my midi in and audio out, any help would be appreciated thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1