AnsweredWondaGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments

Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
2017/08/08 19:19:12 (permalink)

WondaGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments

Although I find myself using Sonar less, I still love product and find myself suggesting it to others. One area I run into trouble is workflow for hip-hop production. I was giving a kid a tutorial on how to do gliding 808s in studio one and ableton and he asked how easy it was to do in sonar. Best i came up with was actually programming 808 type kick from scratch in a synth like Z3ta+. Is there anything close to the workflow of dropping 808 in sampler and turning on glide? I know most of you do little hip-hop production but tend to be helpful with tecuniques.
post edited by dubdisciple - 2017/08/08 20:18:05
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/08 19:44:22 (permalink)
Maybe you can link to a sample of the effect for those of us who have no idea what WondGurl is?

A thought: if you've already created a preset in, say, Rapture, you could just pass the .prog file along.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/08 20:17:40 (permalink)
Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/reiZm2sTnXA

I could take rapture or zeta and create a preset, which literally is my work around but it's kinda clunky. So clunky i just open another program.
whattarush
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 713
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/08 20:47:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2017/08/08 21:34:19
That's a simple "synth bass" patch that being controlled by a pitch shift slider/wheel type controller. This can be done in any workstation/sampler/DAW. The "trick" if you will is to program to control the right amount of pitch modulation in relationship to how far you move the slider/wheel controller and practice your movements to get it down right.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/08 21:39:10 (permalink)
Isn't the Roland Groovesynth still included? Did that leave with Roland? Plenty of 808s in there.
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/08 21:44:10 (permalink)
Thanks. that kinda works, but it's still a convoluted workflow option compared to ableton or fl.  it's kind of like using a third party filter to create wobble on a synth that doesn't allow you to modulate lfo via cutoff.  that wasn't best sample I could have used, but the technique I am referring to clearly uses and 808 (typically distorted) as bass instrument. in Fl and ableton, it is is literally 1, pick a good boomy 808 2. sample, drop on sampler. 3. turn up glide and release 4. draw on piano roll to exaggerate effect.  I appreciate the help and I never ask these type of questions to knock sonar.   I realize some DAWS just are better at some things than others when it comes to certain things, but always checking for equivalent ways to replicate features.
Jon Downing [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/09 17:56:36 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby dubdisciple 2017/08/10 02:40:07
I was able to recreate this sound in Rapture or Rapture Pro without much difficulty.
1. Use "Initialize Program" in Rapture Pro to create an empty program.
2. Drag your favorite Wondagurl/DJ Spinz 808 sample onto Element 1.
3. In the "Perform" section of the Rapture Pro, set Voices to 0 for Element 1.
4. This will unlock the Glide knob for Element 1. Now, audition with some MIDI and tune the glide to taste.
I don't use FL much, but this gives me the same control over the 808 bend/glide that I would get with Ableton's Simpler.
DropZone would be a lot more straightforward/easier for a novice to grasp, but unfortunately it lacks the glide/portamento featue. On the other hand, Rapture gives you a lot more options...you could load up to six different gliding 808s in one program and blend them with independent filters, envelopes, etc.!

dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/09 23:14:20 (permalink)
Jon Downing [Cakewalk]
I was able to recreate this sound in Rapture or Rapture Pro without much difficulty.
1. Use "Initialize Program" in Rapture Pro to create an empty program.
2. Drag your favorite Wondagurl/DJ Spinz 808 sample onto Element 1.
3. In the "Perform" section of the Rapture Pro, set Voices to 0 for Element 1.
4. This will unlock the Glide knob for Element 1. Now, audition with some MIDI and tune the glide to taste.
I don't use FL much, but this gives me the same control over the 808 bend/glide that I would get with Ableton's Simpler.
DropZone would be a lot more straightforward/easier for a novice to grasp, but unfortunately it lacks the glide/portamento featue. On the other hand, Rapture gives you a lot more options...you could load up to six different gliding 808s in one program and blend them with independent filters, envelopes, etc.!

Thanks. I will try this!!!
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/10 02:37:40 (permalink)
This actually works well once i remembered how to set release in Rapture.   Hmmmmm.  Although it's like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumbtack, i have to say it opens door for advanced options without having to leave plugin.  rapture may be my one-shot sampler of choice now when using Sonar.  i once thought the workflow for making trap in Sonar without using third party tools was too awkward, but I'm starting to rethink that. When i have free time and if i get around to upgrading to SPLAT, I want to get around to making hip-hop friendly tutorials for modern hip-hop production.  I have learned quickly how to be productive in modern hip hop techniques in studio one by watching a very good youtube channel and I'm not even a big fan of most of it. Some of the workarounds use don this youtube channel gave me a few ideas i could apply to sonar.  This method is not quite as clean as using fl, simpler or even sample one in studio one, but is arguably more powerful.

In any case, thank you.  Sonar easily has the best forum of any of the DAWs by far.
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/10 02:44:56 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Isn't the Roland Groovesynth still included? Did that leave with Roland? Plenty of 808s in there.

I doubt that will work for this because it uses the 808 more like a wave cycle than a percussive element. It becomes a super sub bass with a percussive attack and booming tail, yet functions ,more like a bass than a kick.  Adding the glide gives the track a little more sense of movement . Thanks for answering though.  i appreciate the help.
Jon Downing [Cakewalk]
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/10 20:49:42 (permalink)
dubdisciple
When i have free time and if i get around to upgrading to SPLAT, I want to get around to making hip-hop friendly tutorials for modern hip-hop production. 

If you do get around to making those tutorials, share them here! I for one would be very interested.
samson7842
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/10 23:38:08 (permalink)
dubdisciple
This actually works well once i remembered how to set release in Rapture.   Hmmmmm.  Although it's like using a sledgehammer to push in a thumbtack, i have to say it opens door for advanced options without having to leave plugin.  rapture may be my one-shot sampler of choice now when using Sonar.  i once thought the workflow for making trap in Sonar without using third party tools was too awkward, but I'm starting to rethink that. When i have free time and if i get around to upgrading to SPLAT, I want to get around to making hip-hop friendly tutorials for modern hip-hop production.  I have learned quickly how to be productive in modern hip hop techniques in studio one by watching a very good youtube channel and I'm not even a big fan of most of it. Some of the workarounds use don this youtube channel gave me a few ideas i could apply to sonar.  This method is not quite as clean as using fl, simpler or even sample one in studio one, but is arguably more powerful.

In any case, thank you.  Sonar easily has the best forum of any of the DAWs by far.

Dude, that would be such a great thing. I don't know why Cakewalk doesn't get some tutorials made for Hip-hop, EDM and more modern styles of Pop music. They would be great marketing tools and would bring in younger users. Soooo many musicians and producers either don't know about Sonar or think of it as an 'old man's DAW' that's not good for the kind of stuff they want to make.

Every time a new trend in popular music emerges, produce a video that shows how it can be done in Sonar. Put it up on Youtube and tag it properly so that anytime someone googles how to produce "x" type of music or "x" type of technique to get a certain sound, the sonar video comes up.

If they did a series of quick videos on how to duplicate modern production techniques in Sonar, using really great, authentic music that sounds like it should be on today's hot playlists, it would go a long way toward growing Sonar's user base. Combine that with Sonar's extremely low price point for entry ($10/month or so), it's an easy sell. 

I'd put some together if they paid me. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I just can't carve out much time to do anything for free anymore.

Lateef Murdock

Gear:
Dell XPS 8700
i7-4770 3.9 GHz
24 GB Dual Channel DDR3 160MHZ 4DIMMs
Windows 10 64bit
Cakewalk (CxB)
Sonar Platinum
Studio One 4
Komplete 9 Ultimate
Maschine 2.7 MK3
Edirol PCR 500
Roland A-300 Pro 
Steinberg Virtual Guitarist 2
Virtual Guitarist Silk
Virtual Guitarist Amber
Virtual Guitarist Iron
Steinberg UR22
Waves Gold
Melodyne 4 Studio
Various other fiddly bits
Primetime
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 04:31:36 (permalink)
Yes, Yes, Yes please!!!!! And I'm an old guy, but love all kinds of music..Even Herbie Hancock loves hip-hop....
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 08:19:43 (permalink)
samson7842
dubdisciple

Dude, that would be such a great thing. I don't know why Cakewalk doesn't get some tutorials made for Hip-hop, EDM and more modern styles of Pop music. They would be great marketing tools and would bring in younger users. Soooo many musicians and producers either don't know about Sonar or think of it as an 'old man's DAW' that's not good for the kind of stuff they want to make.

Every time a new trend in popular music emerges, produce a video that shows how it can be done in Sonar. Put it up on Youtube and tag it properly so that anytime someone googles how to produce "x" type of music or "x" type of technique to get a certain sound, the sonar video comes up.

If they did a series of quick videos on how to duplicate modern production techniques in Sonar, using really great, authentic music that sounds like it should be on today's hot playlists, it would go a long way toward growing Sonar's user base. Combine that with Sonar's extremely low price point for entry ($10/month or so), it's an easy sell. 

I'd put some together if they paid me. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I just can't carve out much time to do anything for free anymore.

It's sad Sonar doesn't get more live in the hip-hop world, but working with kids ( and adults) deeply into it has made it clear to me why. Hip-hop is a very trendy world where producers enjoy celebrity status not afforded to most genres ( except EDM where artist and producer are often one and the same). Imitation is so common that every era of hip-hop has had fairly small subsets of tools. In late 80's it was mirage sampler, 808,909 drum machines and analog synths. Early 1990's saw rise of akai and emu samplers rivalry along with ensoniq. MPC pretty much won that round by the time 90's closed along with Yamaha workstations made popular by Neptunes. By this time computer based production gained traction. In recent years, as sample based has dipped in popularity, certain softsynths and DAWs have been dominant. FL studio went from being seen as a trance toy to arguably the most used DAW in current hip-hop. Nexus, Omnisphere, Sylenth rule among soft synths. I say all this to say that it is very hard getting them to go outside of what the top crop of producers are using, especially if you are significantly changing workflow they are accustomed to.

Sonar has tools that are very suitable for hip-hop. Rapture and Z3ta both are capable of sounds commonly used. In fact, I have used both. Unlike most DAWs, it has a step sequencer. I have concluded that one it's own it is so so for the task, but really needs piano roll to excel. I really have to try latest version of Sonar to see if midi editing has improved. I do think the workflow that a guy used on youtube for studio one can be just as effective on sonar. I will work on it
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 08:23:24 (permalink)
Primetime
Yes, Yes, Yes please!!!!! And I'm an old guy, but love all kinds of music..Even Herbie Hancock loves hip-hop....

Definitely will share. I'm no spring chicken either but work with kids so i stay updated. One thing i have learned is that i can introduce kids to any genre of music by incorporating it into their hip-hop production. Most laymen are unaware, but much of current styles are based in Phrygian and Dorian modes. Kids in my studio have been studying modal music as inspiration.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 09:24:07 (permalink)
I have to say that FruityLoops' step sequencer combined with its "one sample per track" drag n drop system is incredibly fast and elegant. And the way you can paint patterns or subsets of patterns. It's easy to build a good loop and also easy to map out the structure of a song based on parts of that loop. All of these things are more or less possible in Sonar but generally take way more steps.
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 16:30:37 (permalink)
I think what gets lost in the shuffle at times is that creators want to make music and spend less time working. FL's simple sampler feature is perfect for drums and transitioning to piano roll is simple for more elaborate editing. It just suffers in other areas when doing genres outside of hip-hop and EDM. I think integration of a sampler with the step sequencer would work wonders.
mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 17:16:03 (permalink)
Don't forget to drop a line in the Software forum when you finish your tutorial/s.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3641750

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 19:50:26 (permalink)
mudgel
Don't forget to drop a line in the Software forum when you finish your tutorial/s.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3641750

Will do. Might be a bit while i figure it out.
bladetragic
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 503
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 20:37:10 (permalink)
This type of request is one of the reasons I started this thread a while back, b/c I know there are ppl out there that are looking for this type of thing.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Sonar-really-needs-a-sampler-m3499083.aspx

It was a polarizing topic, but ultimately I think it did show that there are ppl looking for this type of stuff and that there may be a need for Sonar to be better represented on the hip-hop/edm/electronic side of things. 

As far as 808 glides, the Rapture solution is a decent one, but I don't like the lack of waveform editing to edit and trim samples if needed.  Also the glide behavior in Rapture is a bit different than Glide/Portamento in something like Simpler or Kontakt, so sometimes you have to also use some pitch automation/modulation to get certain desired effects.  There is a lot of potential there though. If they could add waveform editing and maybe an alternate portamento mode to compliment the current "glide" mode like Simpler/Sampler does, that alone could go a very long way in answering the on-board/stock sampler question.  Of course, there's more complex functions like time stretching, slicing, etc. that one would look for in a sampler, but it's a start.
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 21:26:01 (permalink)
Blade, i agree, a simple sampler would make a huge difference. Ever since the suggestion, I have been experimenting and will admit it's far from elegant and truth be told, a third party solution is easier. Even the solution I found for Studio One requires some automation for ideal results. Fortunately, I don't use this technique often.

I am however committed to finding ways to help rather than be the guy that moans about what sonar doesn't have. A few tweaks to already existing products would make a huge difference. Session Drummer is ALMOST useful. The stock roland kits are damn good but rawer than most since i believe they were created at the time Roland partnered/owned Cakewalk. You can even chop drum loop and send to session drummer. Unfortunately it is not good for other samples and sample editing is limited.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 21:38:45 (permalink)
Would TX16Wx work in this case?
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 21:40:05 (permalink)
Here is a tutorial that shows a workaround that I think could be tweaked for Sonar. Excuse the language, but the guy does offer practical solutions.

https://youtu.be/BHJiXvrvTUE
dubdisciple
Re: WondGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2017/08/11 21:45:11 (permalink)
scook
Would TX16Wx work in this case?

I have used many third party solutions. I was wanting to provide in the box solutions that were simple to implement. I'm speaking from perspective of one working with kids that would rather hear " oh, here's how you do this " instead of " let me download and install another plugin to do what the program you are used to does out the box"
qzik
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: WondaGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2018/12/12 14:03:53 (permalink)
You can use Rapture Pro to do that Wondergurl Bass Glide its there is a knob on each element called Glide, and you will go to perfom Section and set your voices to 0, and attend your keyboard and press and chords to se if plays chords or not if you did everthing right the sample you load you be able to play chord but it be a monoph
qzik
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: WondaGurl type 808 glides using Cakewalk stock instruments 2018/12/12 14:10:24 (permalink)
First you need intialize your synth and add your favourate 808 sample after you loaded your sample will look at the bottom you will find Perfom and set voices to 0, then look on top and find Multi Mode u will see Glide not there that will help you to control Portamento Time/Gilde, if any question i can give you a preset
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1