X1: Crashing like crazy

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 10:57:00 (permalink)
Bub

thomasabarnes

As a last resort I restored my system from an image I made from when I built my PC and installed Windows 7 x64 for the first time. Did all the Windows updates and installed X1. I haven't had a single crash since doing this and some of the oddball things that were happening stopped also.

Well, it's good to know you got up and running X1 with minimal issues. I thought I had read that you said nothing changed after you did what Jim Roseberry recomended, but I guess you eventually got up and running.
Yeah you're right, I spoke prematurely. I should go back to that post and give an update now that I've had a while to use X1 after the fresh install.
So it is up and running?

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 11:00:09 (permalink)
FastBikerBoy

@stratman70 - take a deep breath and count to ten. You've been around these forums long enough to know the odd one or two users that never post anything useful or constructive. 99% of them are ironic posts claiming that everyone else posts about other users not about the subject. There's so much irony in them I find them funny. You've only got to scan the various threads to spot them.

Anyway, what I'm saying is just filter them out, life's too short to get wound up by some of the strange individuals that hang around here.

Well, you certainly straightened that out.
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 11:12:19 (permalink)
Good news Bub. I'm always interested in what people do to get back up and running because it seems it really is when and not if something will blow eventually. I'm going to look at Acronis now.

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 11:37:05 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

Good news Bub. I'm always interested in what people do to get back up and running because it seems it really is when and not if something will blow eventually. I'm going to look at Acronis now.

Acronis True Image has saved me from a lot of work on more than one occasion. Great investment.
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 11:55:40 (permalink)
trimph1

Bub

thomasabarnes

As a last resort I restored my system from an image I made from when I built my PC and installed Windows 7 x64 for the first time. Did all the Windows updates and installed X1. I haven't had a single crash since doing this and some of the oddball things that were happening stopped also.

Well, it's good to know you got up and running X1 with minimal issues. I thought I had read that you said nothing changed after you did what Jim Roseberry recomended, but I guess you eventually got up and running.
Yeah you're right, I spoke prematurely. I should go back to that post and give an update now that I've had a while to use X1 after the fresh install.
So it is up and running?
Yep. It's not locking up any more when I exit, the metronome on/off buttons for playback and record on the transport work now, so far none of my clips have become corrupted, I haven't seen the problem with trying to clone and track and nothing happens (I posted a video about that), track interleave seems to be staying where I set it now. Still seeing the snap to grid changing, but it's not nearly as often. I did find a bug and reported it and got a reply from Cakewalk. I was amazed, it was my first response from them ever. They said they confirmed a bug in Loop Construction View that I reported and it was submitted to development to be fixed.

I'll go back to the OP where Jim was helping me and give an update. Gotta go for now.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 12:04:16 (permalink)
HumbleNoise

I have Acronis Home Edition 2010 with the Plus Pack. I think I paid $40 ~ $50 for it. Well worth the money! At the time the Plus Pack came free, not sure about now.

You can run it from a bootable CD, that's how I use it. It has a USB driver so you can backup to an external USB drive or a thumb drive even though Windows isn't running.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 12:06:57 (permalink)
Bub - the snap to grid changing can be caused by opening the PRV. There's a bug that changes the snap-to setting to the PRV's snap-to when you open it. Sometimes you notice it sometimes not depending on how you've got your snap-to set up.

Do you remember the video from Crush (I think) where his snap-to turned itself off. I think it was you that picked up on it. That was caused by that bug. He must have had his snap-to off in his PRV so when he opened his PRV the whole screensets snap-to gets changed and in that case turned it off.

The workround till it's fixed is open the PRV first and then set the snap-to. That should stop the snap-to setting from changing. Of course a bug fix would be even better. Roll on X1b........
IndustryStandard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 14:25:00 (permalink)
It's not like X1 is the bible especially when it's obvious that it behaves like a toy DAW! The minute strange things started happening to mess with my musical flow in X1..that was it! Case closed ...this is a crappy rush job and I won't even think about X1 until it's worthy of using because it is NOT WORTH IT!

I compare X1 to a cheaply  made in Japanese watch...that is of no comparison to the REAL THING! So get over it ...go back to 8.5.3 and have a musical life!
post edited by IndustryStandard - 2011/01/30 15:14:13
IndustryStandard
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 14:28:42 (permalink)
Ugh...Greg Hendershott....Please come back...X1 is a mess and Cakewalk is in serious need of your brilliant input! HELP!!!!!
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 15:37:08 (permalink)
That Greg Hendershott report. Does anyone know if that's factual i.e press release or otherwise. Not doubting. Trust but verify....you know the drill.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 16:56:27 (permalink)
Middleman

That Greg Hendershott report. Does anyone know if that's factual i.e press release or otherwise. Not doubting. Trust but verify....you know the drill.

I see no indication that he has left. Where did the report that he has left come from.
IndustryStandard
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 17:08:26 (permalink)
Greg and all others Cakewalk collaborators make the musicians/composers life more easy and happy. Their work reflect directly in our daily work. Their participation in Cakewalk forums is an example of the perfect manufacturer/user interaction.
And all of us thank so much for the nice, ever actualized and powerful software. (Sure wish he was in the X1 forum right about now)

http://createdigitalmusic...ndershott-20-years-on/
Middleman
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4397
Re:X1: Crashing like crazy 2011/01/30 17:23:23 (permalink)
Oh, got it. I read in another thread that he had left the company so was wondering where your comment was coming from. All is good with the world...until 2012.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 17:30:09 (permalink)
Bub

I dunno. I went from Cakewalk 4 to Sonar 8 and skipped all versions in between. :)

I went from 4 to 7 to X1...
ignorance is bliss as far as I am concerned!

J

berlymahn
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 257
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/02/07 13:30:09 (permalink)
I am certainly lacking confidence in X1's ability to continuously and effectively function (I have seen LOADs of crashes and I am not even a serious power user).  IMHO it was released too early (I am a software Dev PM and have seen a few sloppy releases in my time (HA!)).  CW wanted X1 to be released by NAMM, I guess.  I'll continue to hang with 8.5 until they ring the bugs out of X1.... BUT, I am going to be supremely pissed at CW if they leave us X1 upgraded customers in the lurch by failing to make X1 live up to acceptable performance standards, and wanting us to buy into yet another upgrade (which contains the fixes).

Mighty Seth, tell all your compadres at CW that your loyal customers are patiently waiting.... Just get the stuff operational please.

Jim

Jim Wim  
On Soundcloud as: Dammit Eugene / Scenic Mental Detours / Narrow Now
https://soundcloud.com/dammit-eugene/tracks
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1