X1: Crashing like crazy

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Author
trimph1
Max Output Level: -12 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6348
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:22:06 (permalink)
Seems almost like there is a memory issue with the program...does the software mangle the file somehow?

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:25:01 (permalink)
Are you happy it made 5 pages

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

shawnbulen
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:27:20 (permalink)
To be fair, it may only be 3 pages if you took out all the personal attacks!  
Maybe 2 if you took out all the posts about how many pages it is - like this one!

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp
shawnbulen
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:27:28 (permalink)
[yikes a triple post - sorry...  it just stared at me so I hit the button again...   twice...]
post edited by shawnbulen - 2011/01/29 20:28:32

Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
 - Fripp
shawnbulen
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:27:32 (permalink)
[yikes a triple post - sorry...  it just stared at me so I hit the button again...   twice...]
post edited by shawnbulen - 2011/01/29 20:28:58

- Fripp
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:27:42 (permalink)
Thrilled about the 5 pages! I just opened X1 again, looked at the screen for a while then closed it up. Works perfectly as it always has on my system, what's the big deal?
post edited by HumbleNoise - 2011/01/29 20:28:50

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
HumbleNoise
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2946
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:28:07 (permalink)
LOL Shawn

Humbly Yours

Larry

Sonar X2 x64
MAudio 2496
Yamaha MG 12/4
Roland XV-88
Intel MB with Q6600 and 4 GB Ram
NVidia 9800 GTX
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Jumbicat
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 20:48:21 (permalink)
A1MixMan

I'm seeing a downside to Solid State Drives.

Jumbicat, can you explain this further as I am about to buy 2 SSD's.  What downside?
I would get the SSD's...they really are great. Be sure to spec the sata6 drives if your motherboard supports that speed. 

I've read where sections of the "Fixed platter" may degrade over time causing data loss and/or corruption.  In my case, Diminsion Pro 64bit module was the cuplrit and my first thought was something or some file went south causing the module to freeze. 

I have absolutley no evidence this is the case.  I was just suggesting to D that most of the time like Craig said, it's hardware not software that's the issue. I'll have more information on the DimPro issue and can post findings. 
Sorry about that

Win7Pro64Bit-AMD-1090t -4 GIG OC DDR3-2k-GTX-465-C300 SATA6-SSD 64G-Sonar 8.5,X2a - Pro Tools Digi-001, a few Axon controllers
http://soundcloud.com/jumbicat
Bub
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7196
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:08:14 (permalink)
Jumbicat

A1MixMan

I'm seeing a downside to Solid State Drives.

Jumbicat, can you explain this further as I am about to buy 2 SSD's.  What downside?
I would get the SSD's...they really are great. Be sure to spec the sata6 drives if your motherboard supports that speed. 

I've read where sections of the "Fixed platter" may degrade over time causing data loss and/or corruption.  In my case, Diminsion Pro 64bit module was the cuplrit and my first thought was something or some file went south causing the module to freeze. 

I have absolutley no evidence this is the case.  I was just suggesting to D that most of the time like Craig said, it's hardware not software that's the issue. I'll have more information on the DimPro issue and can post findings. 
Sorry about that
SSD's are amazingly over priced and they don't last nearly as long as HDD's.

If money is no object then by all means go for it.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
IndustryStandard
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:10:08 (permalink)
Sonar X1|HD which should include the HD 32 Core card and an HD Accel card, offering more than  32times the mixing and processing power of Pro Tools  systems, support for 64 channels of I/O*, Infinate Midi channels plus guaranteed support for up to 384 simultaneous audio tracks with no stress on the computer. Alternate Mac Versions are also available. Price available upon request...hey...I can dream can't I?
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:19:08 (permalink)
IndustryStandard

Sonar X1|HD which should include the HD 32 Core card and an HD Accel card, offering more than  32times the mixing and processing power of Pro Tools  systems, support for 64 channels of I/O*, Infinate Midi channels plus guaranteed support for up to 384 simultaneous audio tracks with no stress on the computer. Alternate Mac Versions are also available. Price available upon request...hey...I can dream can't I?
Hey, if you got to dream why not a HD64 card as well? Something that can handle up to 360 channels, infinite MIDI as well as 1,280 tracks!!....

The space you have will always be exceeded in direct proportion to the amount of stuff you have...Thornton's Postulate.

Bushpianos
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:19:42 (permalink)
System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, Radeon HD 5970

DAYUM......    That is a mean system

Me like!

JB
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:21:25 (permalink)
jbow

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, Radeon HD 5970

Me like!

JB
Great. Now I'm drooling...

Bushpianos
IndustryStandard
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:28:24 (permalink)
trimph1

IndustryStandard

Hey, if you got to dream why not a HD64 card as well? Something that can handle up to 360 channels, infinite MIDI as well as 1,280 tracks!!....

Kool....I'm with 64 Core card. Let's not forget a 32 Tb hard drive included...with a front  door bay for interchangeable Hard drives.

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:48:09 (permalink)
Supercomposer

stratman70

Supercomposer

trimph1

I'm kind of puzzled about why it could work on essentially the same platform with some people and yet not do the same on someone else's..

People use different features, there are the users who throw in 5 tracks and import some urban techno dubstep triphow whatever loops and applaud how GREAT that works,  and others with 100 MIDI tracks running to VSTi having a chrash fest und find countless bugs, yet others, mostly the known fanbois here who obviously do nothing than opening the program and look at it, but mostly work on their post count here at the forum.

Still puzzled?
How could you possibly know that? You are one cynical individual. so any one who does not have issues does not use the program-Well, not like the great composer you are, of course

frickin' unbelievable.

Well thanks for the personal attack, but I did NOT say what you made out of it. I said exactly what I quoted, meaning if you use different features than the ones others use, or just do not push the program that hard AS OTHERS DO, you might NOT run into problems, fine. But if you use X1 under heavy workload, I am talking actually about a fu***** LONG time builiding a suitable template, with 20+ Kontakt instances, Vienna Ensemble Pro, East West Play, three different synths and imported video material, do THAT, and X1 will fail miserably, it WILL and it DOES fail, it perhaps does not fail for loop cutter hip hop beat boys, or people simply looking at the pretty GUI discussing button colors here, or some vocal or guitar recording + a handful synths, well, WOOOHOOO, which DAW can´t do all that in 2011??

X1 fails for my purpose, miserably, and I accept no arguing about that FACT.
And I am sure if I had the time to investigate and fu** around, days and days to blame my otherwise perfectly working system instead of the fu**** up code that X1 is, were industry leading software solutions JUST WORK OUT OF THE BOX like expected, then I´d probably start a 10 page thread, trying to get bug repros and "USER HELP" whereas the only help that (perhaps) makes sense is the PATCH X1B fixing X1A, but hey, I tell you something: I don´t have time for that  anymore. 
That is NOT what you said-perhaps in your mind-READ YOUR POST

Back to the point:
I posted exactly that (what you use and how you use it)-weeks ago and then 2 more times. I used myself as an example-in this thread also. About how I do not use Asnap, V vocal, etc etc. No one, especially me, has said , no you are making it up. What I and others have said it works for us. That does not deserve your BS comment about opening the program and coming here for forum points. But you consider tht OK
You and many others just refuse to see the other side of the coin.
It does work for many of us-alot does have to do with how you use the program, that's a given. Would you please re-read your post. Unless it's an anagram or some type of code where the words written are not the actual words.
Another personal attack user? Unreal-I am finally beginning to realize and understand the type of people I am dealing with now. It's all clear.
Makes perfect sense now.You're the man , your the best. Hooray for you
Hilarious.
post edited by stratman70 - 2011/01/29 21:50:04

thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:50:44 (permalink)
Thrilled about the 5 pages! I just opened X1 again, looked at the screen for a while then closed it up. Works perfectly as it always has on my system, what's the big deal?

ROTFLOL

You are too good, man!!!

We have the grumpy ones in here, you know that just couldn't resist.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:52:30 (permalink)
IndustryStandard

trimph1

IndustryStandard

Kool....I'm with 64 Core card. Let's not forget a 32 Tb hard drive included...with a front  door bay for interchangeable Hard drives.

What I would like to see is a 32 core processor running at 6.75 GHz and having a 64 Gb ram. Couple that with an 16Gb nVidea card as well as a soundcard with its own 32 Gb ram...merely for buffer use mind, PLUS a 128Tb HDD box with hot swappable cards!!

Can you imagine how much you can do with that!!  if

Bushpianos
jbow
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:56:16 (permalink)
trimph1

jbow

Me like!

JB

Don't misunderstand (I am drolling too) that is in Supercomposer's line... that's some heft!

You know regarding this whole thing about the snarkiness etc... earlier I asked a simple question about going back and installing Guitar Rig LE. Bub tried to give me some help and I appreciate it. Some Czech or Slav guy tld me to "RTFM"... of course I had referenced the index in the manual before posting and "Guitar Rig" does not appear.. so I went through the manual, since I was told to read the freaking thing... of course, it isn't in there either.
No problem though, I decided to just plow into it and got it done.
The reason I asked in the first place is because I am pretty much an analog guy (59yo last week) really struggling with digital. but I won't give up. In the past I have gotten inspiritation and by the time I figured out how to do some pretty simple things the inspiriation was long gone... now I am semi (mostly) retired and have more time to put into it and... really, I don't expect to enounter many problems. I stil have Sonar 7 Producer if I need to use it for a while as bugs are worked out. I have more computing power now with W7 64 and i5... but if I need more power, i'll buy more. I intend to master the DAW, and I fully expect Sonar to do the job. I've mastered other things that I have not understood by just keeping at it. Sometimes that is what it takes BUT i've learned that in this arena... of the DAW.. if something isn't up to snuff in your hardware... you'll have problems that are really frustrating because somtimes you can't pin them down, all it takes is two components that have some problem playing nice and things just won't work right, not all the time.

Then again... I look at the post by Supercomposer, with that super system and I think crap* ... but I am a long ways from running anywhere near what he is running. If I get to that bridge I guess i'll have to either cross it or blow it. I expect Sonar to fix X1 and build something truly awesome on it. I am involved in another hobby that involves specialized electronics and equipment and new products almost always have bugs and they always have users that are not happy with new changes and don't take the time to learn anything new... however that does not seem in any way to be the case with the OP on this thread... I suspect D, that you have some components or other that are not playing well together with X1 and/or 64bit computing... I know very little about computer components but what I 'do' know about them is that they are finicky. There is some little fly in the ointment.

I hope you get it figured out. Did you say that you have tried using X1 and your 8.5 projects on another computer, if not... that would be my next step if you can get someone to let you try it on another machine powerful enough to run at least the basics. Then you'll know if it is X1 or your machine.

Forgive any missed letters or spaces this HP keyboard truly sucks. I have to type at half speed and it still misses... grrrr.

J

post edited by jbow - 2011/01/29 22:00:18
Supercomposer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 21:56:17 (permalink)
stratman70

Makes perfect sense now.You're the man , your the best. Hooray for you 

I know I am the best and its good you finally noticed. Thank you

ME is the Supercomposer, and all your base are belong to us (Yes, I mean Germany)

System Spec: CPU 2x X7560 Xeon 16-Core, 48 GIG Ram Kingston, Intel with Supermicro Workstation MP Boards, RME HDSPe, PNY Quadro 6000
jbow
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 22:02:51 (permalink)
Why is my whole message above in italics? How can I ever expect to learn Sonar when I can't even post a message correctly... perhaps I should open X1 and look at it again.... maybe the Track view this time...

J
trimph1
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 22:05:03 (permalink)
jbow

trimph1

jbow

Me like!

JB

Don't misunderstand (I am drolling too) that is in Supercomposer's line... that's some heft!

You know regarding this whole thing about the snarkiness etc... earlier I asked a simple question about going back and installing Guitar Rig LE. Bub tried to give me some help and I appreciate it. Some Czech or Slav guy tld me to "RTFM"... of course I had referenced the index in the manual before posting and "Guitar Rig" does not appear.. so I went through the manual, since I was told to read the freaking thing... of course, it isn't in there either.
No problem though, I decided to just plow into it and got it done.
The reason I asked in the first place is because I am pretty much an analog guy (59yo last week) really struggling with digital. but I won't give up. In the past I have gotten inspiritation and by the time I figured out how to do some pretty simple things the inspiriation was long gone... now I am semi (mostly) retired and have more time to put into it and... really, I don't expect to enounter many problems. I stil have Sonar 7 Producer if I need to use it for a while as bugs are worked out. I have more computing power now with W7 64 and i5... but if I need more power, i'll buy more. I intend to master the DAW, and I fully expect Sonar to do the job. I've mastered other things that I have not understood by just keeping at it. Sometimes that is what it takes BUT i've learned that in this arena... of the DAW.. if something isn't up to snuff in your hardware... you'll have problems that are really frustrating because somtimes you can't pin them down, all it takes is two components that have some problem playing nice and things just won't work right, not all the time.

Then again... I look at the post by Supercomposer, with that super system and I think crap* ... but I am a long ways from running anywhere near what he is running. If I get to that bridge I guess i'll have to either cross it or blow it. I expect Sonar to fix X1 and build something truly awesome on it. I am involved in another hobby that involves specialized electronics and equipment and new products almost always have bugs and they always have users that are not happy with new changes and don't take the time to learn anything new... however that does not seem in any way to be the case with the OP on this thread... I suspect D, that you have some components or other that are not playing well together with X1 and/or 64bit computing... I know very little about computer components but what I 'do' know about them is that they are finicky. There is some little fly in the ointment.

I hope you get it figured out. Did you say that you have tried using X1 and your 8.5 projects on another computer, if not... that would be my next step if you can get someone to let you try it on another machine powerful enough to run at least the basics. Then you'll know if it is X1 or your machine.

Forgive any missed letters or spaces this HP keyboard truly sucks. I have to type at half speed and it still misses... grrrr.

J

And the thing about it is is that he can do all that with it and get it to crash!! I'm no where near his usage...dang, I'd like to see what his CPU usage is when it goes into crash mode...and I have things go awry...

As for getting it to run on another system I am going to a 12 core myself...wish that I could afford 16 core...let alone 32 core.... 

Bushpianos
TomFerraro
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 22:24:10 (permalink)
This is disturbing

(Now that's funny)

SONAR X1- Producer, Komplete 7, V-Studio-100, i7-950
Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/29 22:27:33 (permalink)
I cannot believe you people are here wasting your time with this thread when the world premiere of Mega Python Vs. Gatoroid starring Debbie Gibson and Tiffany is on Sci Fi right now.

What's wrong with you people?

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
IndustryStandard
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 01:03:21 (permalink)
Debbie Gibson and Tiffiny? Wasn't that somewhere around Cakewalk  7?
Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 02:10:09 (permalink)
I dunno. I went from Cakewalk 4 to Sonar 8 and skipped all versions in between. :)

FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 02:11:24 (permalink)
jbow

Why is my whole message above in italics? How can I ever expect to learn Sonar when I can't even post a message correctly... perhaps I should open X1 and look at it again.... maybe the Track view this time...

J

Well the forum software could be better to start. When you quote somebody you need to make sure that your cursor is as far down the page as you can go without hitting the enter key. By that time it should no longer be indented and then you can post without ending up in the quote.

@stratman70 - take a deep breath and count to ten. You've been around these forums long enough to know the odd one or two users that never post anything useful or constructive. 99% of them are ironic posts claiming that everyone else posts about other users not about the subject. There's so much irony in them I find them funny. You've only got to scan the various threads to spot them.

Anyway, what I'm saying is just filter them out, life's too short to get wound up by some of the strange individuals that hang around here.

thomasabarnes
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 02:18:38 (permalink)
Hey Stratman:

FBB is right. Those users are just grumpy. I wouldn't let any crap they say bother me too much. :) Some people just block such users. The choice is yours. I'm pretty sure, sooner or later, some of them will be banned. Because they do get out of hand.

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 02:25:21 (permalink)
I just wanted to mention something that helped me with X1 a lot.

I had my system set up with 8.5 and installed X1 along side it. Had all kinds of trouble crashing, things not working, real oddball stuff.

As a last resort I restored my system from an image I made from when I built my PC and installed Windows 7 x64 for the first time. Did all the Windows updates and installed X1. I haven't had a single crash since doing this and some of the oddball things that were happening stopped also. Plus, I didn't do any of the C++ updates that a lot of folks are raving about and so far I haven't seen any problem other than the known bugs.

I know people don't like to hear "format and reinstall everything" but it helped me. And, I've had to do that with other programs as well, it's not anything unique to X1.

So before you chuck your X1 DVD's in the garbage at least give the ol' format/reinstall a try. That way you can say to yourself, "Ok, I tried everything. Now I'm done with it."

I would make a backup image of your HDD in the state it's in right now so you can go back to exactly what you have now if things don't work. You can go to Western Digital's web site and get Acronis True Image for free if you don't have an imaging utility. It says it's the "Western Digital" version so I don't know if it only works with WD HDD's. I have the full version and have never used the free one from WD's site. Like here.

thomasabarnes
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 02:43:04 (permalink)
As a last resort I restored my system from an image I made from when I built my PC and installed Windows 7 x64 for the first time. Did all the Windows updates and installed X1. I haven't had a single crash since doing this and some of the oddball things that were happening stopped also.

Well, it's good to know you got up and running X1 with minimal issues. I thought I had read that you said nothing changed after you did what Jim Roseberry recomended, but I guess you eventually got up and running.

I didn't do any OS tweaking, except set the system to run in High Performance mode.

Also, good info you're sharing about the free version of Acronis True Image. I have the full version of Echo Workstation. It's a little old, but it still does the job. :)

Bub
Re:Goodbye Cake 2011/01/30 10:45:03 (permalink)
thomasabarnes

As a last resort I restored my system from an image I made from when I built my PC and installed Windows 7 x64 for the first time. Did all the Windows updates and installed X1. I haven't had a single crash since doing this and some of the oddball things that were happening stopped also.

Well, it's good to know you got up and running X1 with minimal issues. I thought I had read that you said nothing changed after you did what Jim Roseberry recomended, but I guess you eventually got up and running.
Yeah you're right, I spoke prematurely. I should go back to that post and give an update now that I've had a while to use X1 after the fresh install.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1