Helpful ReplyX3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth?

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/02 21:15:13 (permalink)
Hi-

Someone mentioned IL's Edison earlier in this thread. You just insert it as an FX anywhere you want and record away. That's what I use in SONAR if I want to record a synth's output.  The "R" DAW lets you do this natively, as I'm sure (many? most?) others do.

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/02 21:33:51 (permalink)
YouDontHasToCallMeJohnson
I cannot get vb cable and voice meter to be selectable in SPLAT.

I played with both, mostly the Virtual cable, for several hours but never got them to work sufficiently well for it to be worth the bother.  First, the Cable can't do ASIO (and wouldn't be useful even if it could) so you have to run some other driver on your interface.  Then there's the question of who is going to be the clock for recording and playback.  I did get it to work in that I successfully output the soft synth audio track to the Cable input, then input the Cable output into another audio track and it recorded it properly.  But the latency was in the thousands of samples.

I also was not able to change the internal sample rate of the Cable, even though there are menu items for that on the Cable's control panel.  For some reason it's just stuck at 96k even after multiple tries and reboots.  Then I had problems with one interface only doing WDM at 48k while other only did WASAPI and it was all pretty frustrating and I had to give up for the time being.  A whole lot easier just to insert a VST recorder and drag its wav file back into Sonar.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 09:41:14 (permalink)
The rate and bit levels are changed in the windows audio device settings.

The sample change is from the menu on the cable.

The author told me the vb cable was standard windows device hence no asio.

He said to use voicemeeter, or the voicemeeter Banana which is more comprehensive. I will try banana today.

Paul P
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 12:55:38 (permalink)
The rate and bit levels are changed in the windows audio device settings.

The sample change is from the menu on the cable.

I set the rate to 48k for both in and out in the windows device settings.
It's the internal rate in the menu that doesn't work.  No matter what I select it stays at 96K.

Voicemeeter was not a simple matter and I gave up pretty quickly.  I'm interested in hearing how you make out and if you're successful what your latency end ups being.  I predict it'll be pretty high.  The banana seems like quite a bit of overkill for a simple loopback.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 19:48:37 (permalink)
Got the Banana to work.

Not "over-kill" as it replaces the mixer I had been using with the audio interface that died.
And therefore the VM is what Sonar uses for I/O.

Install the Voicemeeter Banana.

Use the windows audio dialogs to configure the VM to use desired bits and rates, and uncheck exclusive use.

open VM and Choose output audio device. the hardware inputs are automatically selected. Save settings.

Open Sonar. Sonar automatically deselects the hardware and selects 4 stereo ins and outs to the VM.

I can play the stereo out from the master bus to the VM and out to the audio card.

Since there are 4 stereo outs, and 4 stereo ins, and the VM provides from routing to the card and to buses I assume I will be able to loop as I wish.

Just downloaded the manual. No time to read.   Gotta go git one of the kids now.

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 20:41:30 (permalink)
Susan G
Hi-

Someone mentioned IL's Edison earlier in this thread. You just insert it as an FX anywhere you want and record away. That's what I use in SONAR if I want to record a synth's output.  The "R" DAW lets you do this natively, as I'm sure (many? most?) others do.

-Susan

i would be happy for now if cakewalk made a vst recorder and threw it in as a member bonus.  :-)
Paul P
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 21:31:34 (permalink)
Got the Banana to work.

This is promising.  I just set it up quickly and hooked up a loopback from Pentagon to an audio track and it records it ok, with only a few samples offset.

So it's a 8 in 8 out virtual interface with mixer going through my real interface using ASIO and looking like ASIO to Sonar.

There's also 8 more aux in and out and 8 insert in and out, but they're greyed out in Sonar Preferences.  I can only select one of the 3 sets of 8 at a time, as if they are three separate interfaces :  Voicemeeter, Voicemeeter Insert or Voicemeter Aux.

I'll play with it some more when I get time.
post edited by Paul P - 2015/03/03 22:27:31

Splat
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/03 22:21:32 (permalink)
Well I'm glad this is a really long thread. Before platinum came along I though people were pretty non plussed about having such an enhancement in Sonar.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/05 13:18:48 (permalink)
Splat
Well I'm glad this is a really long thread. Before platinum came along I though people were pretty non plussed about having such an enhancement in Sonar.

It has come up over the last decade and a half many times. It was often shot down by those that don't see the need for it. My first request for it came up on the old forum; the newsgroup. The work around in the past for me was www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/. Really think Cakewalk could easily develop something like this for the short term.
OldTimerNewComer
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 164
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/03/05 14:47:37 (permalink)
Earwax
Sanderxpander
I still don't understand why you would want to. Freeze or bounce is much quicker.

Actually, it's impossible for any other method to be "quicker" than real time recording. When you stop playing, you're done recording. And, brundlefly's response exactly mirrors what most people wanting to record "live" want to do. If I'm playing music on an instrument that I'm interacting organically with as I play it, I want that emotional performance and all of its nuances captured "live" and immediately. If I choose to edit it in some fashion after the performance is captured, that's fine. Some people are interested in capturing a MIDI performamnce. Others are interested in capturing an audio performance. Different mindsets, I guess.

Question.

IF "Actually, it's impossible for any other method to be "quicker" than real time recording"
how WOULD one pre-process an audio signal on a DAW so that one could, for example
record their voice, hear reverb on that voice before the actual signal, and hear their "realtime"
guitar accompaniment with pre-delay?

Crickets?

The answer is there IS no "REALTIME" on a DAW.

There is only "faster than I can hear",
synchronized by the magic of Sonar.

We get DELAYED audio and video(usually 3 sec.)
24/7 from our flatscreen feeds from our local cable service
(I'm told for our own good),
and we all play along.

I believe the Bounce function of SONAR
beats that on an avg. length  song.
What's the big deal?

midi is not realtime so a softsynth  cannot be realtime
if midi is used for input.

Yet we get on with making great music anyway.

Not Realtime. Relative. So is music.

Premise is moot;
Sonar provides five thousand ways to make your music
FEEL realtime. That matters.

You are simply arguing flavor.
Loop an output to an input and be done with it.

Peace.
Mel
post edited by OldTimerNewComer - 2015/03/05 14:58:01

Asus Sabertooth Z77. OCZ "Stealth" PSU 700w. 
Core i7 2600k @3.8 Ghz via XMP memory  setting.
AMD Radeon HD6450 CE 2GB DDR3 video.
Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz (32 Gig). 
Kingston 512 GB SSD(OS/Software).
WD 500 GB SATA(data) + 1 TB external.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40(FW)-v3.4.
Windows 10 Pro
Sonar Platinum Jamaica Plains Update

Ultimately YOU will be the hardest to convince that the Cake is done... Finish it.

My Stuff:
https://www.reverbnation.com/skeletonkrew9

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1