Helpful ReplyX3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2015/02/15 16:24:08 (permalink)

X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth?

Since the software Synth outputs appear in the list of available inputs for an audio track, it would seem to be simple to just record the synth onto a new audio track.  But as soon as the synth audio is selected as the input, the record enable for the track disappears! 

After searching help, I find "Converting your soft synth tracks to audio".  This is a 9 step procedure involving "bounce to track" and lots of fiddling around with settings. Compared to "select input source, enable record" that seems like going around the block.  To add insult, it doesn't work! Following the procedure results in nothing recorded to the destination track.

Can anyone explain why the obvious, straightforward method for recording audio from a soft synth is prevented from being used? That is exactly what I do to record an external synth. Why is a soft synth any different?

Does anyone know of an alternate (working) procedure to record the synth audio?  I don't see any way to route a bus back to a track input. I suppose I could play the SW synth through a pair of channels on my audio interface, and loop it back into Sonar on different channels, but that seems silly. What am I missing?

Sonar Platinum Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus 24.4.2AI interface, Korg Kronos2 73
Grumbleweed_
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 915
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 16:52:52 (permalink)
If the midi controlling the synth is already recorded you can freeze the synth and get audio.
You can bounce out the synth to your desktop (or wherever) and drag it back in Sonar. It takes seconds to do that - I did it loads of times yesterday.
I'm not 100% on this one but I seem to remember a video showing a "normal time" bounce to an external location that involved actually playing the synth in real time.

Grum.

Grumbleweed on Soundcloud
Grumbleweed on Bandcamp
Grumbleweed on Soundclick

Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), 3770K i7, 8 GB ram, Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Cubase 9.5, Reason 10, CbB.
tomixornot
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 17:15:49 (permalink)
You do not need to manually route audio track for soft synth. Recording midi from soft synth (via insert soft synth) is usually all you need as you have the flexibility to edit the midi, without having to re-do the audio.

If you need separate audio, follow as what Grum said.

Albert

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz / MB Intel DP67BG / 16GB Ram
- ADATA 250GB SSD (Boot)
- Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD (Samples)
Audio interface : Motu 828 MK ii

i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz / MB Asrock Z170 / 16GB Ram
- Samsung EVO 850 120GB / 500 GB SSD

Audio interface : Roland Quad Capture

Win 10 Pro / Sonar Platinum
TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 17:34:20 (permalink)
It's different in DAW land, you don't route the output and record enable, etc. You bounce instead.
Once I'm satisfied with a soft synth track (automation, notes, velocity, sound, etc) I bounce it so I can hear how it sits in the mix and apply audio effects.
It's easy to do the conversion:
1. Select the instrument track or the midi and synth tracks.
2. Set your from and to selection points.
3. Bounce to tracks.
Done.
The whole process usually takes less than 30 seconds if you use fast bounce. Once you've got the levels set on the synth track, doing another bounce to fix something is just as fast and doesn't mess up your mix.
I've tried but don't really care for using FX on instrument tracks but that's just personal preference.

post edited by TomHelvey - 2015/02/15 17:42:15

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
swamptooth
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2229
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 17:42:58 (permalink)
timg11
 What am I missing?

You're not missing anything.  This functionality does not exist in Sonar.

Arvid H. Peterson
Sonar X3E Prod / X2A  / X1PE | Cubase 9.5.1 | Reason 9.5 | Sibelius7 | Pure Data
Native-Instruments Komplete 10 Ultimate and a smattering of other plugins
Home-brewed VSTs 
Toshiba Satellite S855-S5378 (16GB RAM, modified with 2x 750GB HDDs, Windows 8.1 x64)  
Samson Graphite 49, M-Audio Oxygen 49, Korg nanoPAD2, Webcam motion tracking programs 
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
Member, ASCAP   

timg11
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 17:46:16 (permalink)
The Grumbleweed
bounce out the synth to your desktop (or wherever) and drag it back in Sonar.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bounce to desktop", but I played around with the bounce to tracks method more and finally got it to work. I discovered these facts:

1) You have to uncheck Fast Bounce (checked by default), and check Audible Bounce.  This is not mentioned in the 9-step procedure in the help file.
2) Presets don't fully "preset". They save some settings but not others. Notably, the Destination track and the Source Buses/Tracks are not part of the preset, and your settings are not remembered, even between sequential uses in the same project. They have to be manually set every time.

I still don't understand why the direct recording of the synth is not allowed.

Sonar Platinum Windows 10 64 bit, Presonus 24.4.2AI interface, Korg Kronos2 73
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 17:49:08 (permalink)
Ad 1) that's not true, although some synths don't play nice with a fast bounce.

Is it not an option for you to use the freeze button? It's super quick and you can move the audio to a new track if you have to (I think, I almost never need this).
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 19:35:56 (permalink)
Recording from a synth would need to be a real-time process. Bouncing is much faster, and Fast Bounce is the preferred option, especially with X3. Not quite sure why it didn't work for you, although the most common problem people experience is not selecting the instrument's audio track and MIDI track. Don't know if you're using a simple instrument track, but I prefer a full-blown instrument setup with folder, audio, and MIDI tracks.

Regarding

Presets don't fully 'preset'. They save some settings but not others. Notably, the Destination track and the Source Buses/Tracks are not part of the preset, and your settings are not remembered, even between sequential uses in the same project. They have to be manually set every time.

For what sounds like your intended application most people would use Track Freeze. Bouncing is a less common event that's usually applied to a single track or group of tracks, and generally not done consecutively. Most of the time you don't need to change more than one or two defaults (if that).

Hope this helps.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
rcklln
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 20:09:30 (permalink)
Recently I froze a Rapture synth track but the resulting stereo audio track didn't include the panning effect. After experimenting I found that the bounce preset option "what you here" created the audio file as I needed it.  
brundlefly
  • Total Posts : 14250
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 20:33:50 (permalink)
rcklln
Recently I froze a Rapture synth track but the resulting stereo audio track didn't include the panning effect.

Right-click the freeze button and make sure "Track FX" is checked.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
FastBikerBoy
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 11326
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/15 20:36:52 (permalink)
timg11

2) Presets don't fully "preset". They save some settings but not others. Notably, the Destination track and the Source Buses/Tracks are not part of the preset, and your settings are not remembered, even between sequential uses in the same project. They have to be manually set every time.

Presets can be adjusted and either saved over or a new preset created. Click on the disk icon beside the preset selection field to overwrite or type a new preset name to create a new one.
Earwax
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 15:38:40 (permalink)
timg11
…I still don't understand why the direct recording of the synth is not allowed.

Yes, it is extremely frustrating. It seems counterintuitive that you can’t do this. Craig, is this a hardware and/or software limitation? Is there any DAW that allows you to do this? It would seem to me that, if I can sit down at a keyboard controller and play a solo piano piece through Ivory, I should be able to record what I’m hearing, as I hear it, if I so choose. Is this physically impossible for any DAW to do, or is it a Sonar limitation? If you can play and record VST effects “live”, why can’t you play and record VSTi’s “live”?

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
brundlefly
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 16:05:08 (permalink)
Earwax
If you can play and record VST effects “live”, why can’t you play and record VSTi’s “live”?

Actually, you can't print FX in real time, either. Both are technically quite feasible, just not implemented in SONAR. My understanding is that Ableton and Pro Tools allow it.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
Sanderxpander
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 16:29:56 (permalink)
I still don't understand why you would want to. Freeze or bounce is much quicker.

Oh and yeah Ableton does allow this, but I'm pretty sure that's because it lacks dedicated bounce to tracks functions and it used to be the only way to "bounce" things like Melodyne edits. I much, much prefer the Sonar set of options here, personally.
brundlefly
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 16:42:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mettelus 2015/02/17 05:08:23
The two examples I commonly see are:

1. The synth patch has random elements that a performer can interact with in a dynamic way during live performance that won't be replicated on freezing.

2. There are synth parameters that can be tweaked in the GUI that can't be automated with MIDI.

Sanderxpander
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 16:50:59 (permalink)
Fair enough, I haven't encountered those yet. Sonar has been great at capturing anything I do with midi and automation.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 17:37:26 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I still don't understand why you would want to. Freeze or bounce is much quicker.

Actually, it's impossible for any other method to be "quicker" than real time recording. When you stop playing, you're done recording. And, brundlefly's response exactly mirrors what most people wanting to record "live" want to do. If I'm playing music on an instrument that I'm interacting organically with as I play it, I want that emotional performance and all of its nuances captured "live" and immediately. If I choose to edit it in some fashion after the performance is captured, that's fine. Some people are interested in capturing a MIDI performamnce. Others are interested in capturing an audio performance. Different mindsets, I guess.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 17:39:30 (permalink)
brundlefly
Earwax
If you can play and record VST effects “live”, why can’t you play and record VSTi’s “live”?

Actually, you can't print FX in real time, either. Both are technically quite feasible, just not implemented in SONAR. My understanding is that Ableton and Pro Tools allow it.

You're right. I wasn't thinking of Sonar when I typed that. Sorry for the confusion.

Sanderxpander
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 17:46:42 (permalink)
With instruments that are unable to have their behavior properly captured by midi/automation, I immediately concede the point. I personally have never used any so it was never a concern.

We have some folks with weird notions in here sometimes (e.g. one guy who insisted you need to bounce each and every synth to audio for mixdowns because of latency) so I just want to make sure that live recording of a synth is actually what you really need, as opposed to simply turning a recorded softsynth performance into audio.
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 17:55:11 (permalink)
Earwax
timg11

Yes, it is extremely frustrating. It seems counterintuitive that you can’t do this. Craig, is this a hardware and/or software limitation? Is there any DAW that allows you to do this? It would seem to me that, if I can sit down at a keyboard controller and play a solo piano piece through Ivory, I should be able to record what I’m hearing, as I hear it, if I so choose. Is this physically impossible for any DAW to do, or is it a Sonar limitation? If you can play and record VST effects “live”, why can’t you play and record VSTi’s “live”?

One reason it is not an issue for most of us is that we record the MIDI. That is the important part. The audio is only used for mixing down to a stereo file for distribution. The MIDI is far and away the part that is the whole point of Sonar. Keep in mind that Sonar has roots in MIDI sequencing not audio. Its this quality that most of us appreciate. Now the audio is very much an important aspect for many but Sonar has not forgotten its roots.

This is one reason that many of us don't understand the need to record audio from a soft synth. To us we can have audio at any time by playing back the MIDI. Some of us use hardware synths along side soft synths. If we want to record the audio from those hardware synths we can in real time.

The only reason to be able to record audio from a soft synth in real time is to record a performance in real time that can't be done with the MIDI alone due to randomness of the synth's output. Outside of that there is no good reason for recording the output of a soft synth. Even then is a weak argument. Because if randomness is important which "run" of random output is the "right" one? The same thing can just as easily obtained with a bounce or freeze.      

Best
John
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 18:07:31 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
With instruments that are unable to have their behavior properly captured by midi/automation, I immediately concede the point. I personally have never used any so it was never a concern.

We have some folks with weird notions in here sometimes (e.g. one guy who insisted you need to bounce each and every synth to audio for mixdowns because of latency) so I just want to make sure that live recording of a synth is actually what you really need, as opposed to simply turning a recorded softsynth performance into audio.

Thanks for the clarification of your viewpoint. Yes, I really would love to see real time recording for softsynths and effects implemented in Sonar. Probably not going to happen anytime soon, though, if ever. Oh well..............

Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 18:41:31 (permalink)
John
Earwax
timg11

One reason it is not an issue for most of us is that we record the MIDI. That is the important part. The audio is only used for mixing down to a stereo file for distribution. The MIDI is far and away the part that is the whole point of Sonar. Keep in mind that Sonar has roots in MIDI sequencing not audio. Its this quality that most of us appreciate. Now the audio is very much an important aspect for many but Sonar has not forgotten its roots.

As I mentioned in my response, some want to primarily record a MIDI performance, and some want to record an audio performance. I’m familiar with the pros and cons of sequencers/sequencing. I’ve owned a couple of the hardware versions myself, long before Cakewalk’s Pro Audio software.
John
Earwax
timg11

This is one reason that many of us don't understand the need to record audio from a soft synth. To us we can have audio at any time by playing back the MIDI. Some of us use hardware synths along side soft synths. If we want to record the audio from those hardware synths we can in real time.

I am one of the “some of us…” using hardware and software synths. If MIDI is the ultimate recording medium, why not record your hardware synth tracks as MIDI, and use the MIDI tracks to playback and record the hardware synths' audio? That would give you the same “ultimate flexibility” you claim to have in recording a softsynth’s MIDI, and not audio. I know why I would prefer not to do it that way, but that’s another issue.
John
Earwax
timg11

The only reason to be able to record audio from a soft synth in real time is to record a performance in real time that can't be done with the MIDI alone due to randomness of the synth's output. Outside of that there is no good reason for recording the output of a soft synth. Even then is a weak argument. Because if randomness is important which "run" of random output is the "right" one? The same thing can just as easily obtained with a bounce or freeze.      

See, when people make arguments and statements like this, the points of discussion become moot. So, basically what you are saying is, there is NO good reason to want to record a synth in real time, right? Anyone that would want to do that is purely misinformed, or worse. Geez.. I understand why people want to record MIDI performances. Sometimes, I do too. It’s too bad you have no concept of why anyone would want to record a softsynth audio performance.

Oh well….

Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 19:09:36 (permalink)

You can stick a VST recorder into an effects bin anywhere you want.

Melda offers a free one MRecorder.  Probably not ideal, but maybe sufficient ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Earwax
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 20:08:16 (permalink)
Paul P

You can stick a VST recorder into an effects bin anywhere you want.

Melda offers a free one MRecorder.  Probably not ideal, but maybe sufficient ?

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul P. There are other software utilities out there that offer similar functionality - notably some of the stuff offered by Hermann Seib. Workarounds for sure, but possibly useable.
Again, thanks for the suggestion. I've noticed some of your posts in the Cakewalk instruments section. Seems we share a love of synths!

Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 20:21:45 (permalink)
Why not just send an output back into an interface input? You'll need to nudge the track before mixing to compensate for any extra latency, but it lets you record the audio. As a bonus you can patch weird little non-MIDI effects (like stompboxes) in between the output and input and tweak those knobs, too.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 20:45:11 (permalink)
John

This is the reason for having this option. Cakewalk provides VSTi with random generators but not the possibility of printing the audio without third party plugins or hardware routing. The one that is the right "one" is the one I'm performing "now". There is nothing weak about that.

mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:03:35 (permalink)
Anderton
Why not just send an output back into an interface input? You'll need to nudge the track before mixing to compensate for any extra latency, but it lets you record the audio. As a bonus you can patch weird little non-MIDI effects (like stompboxes) in between the output and input and tweak those knobs, too.

For sure.  I've done that before myself.  Just watch the feedback loop....and mute what needs muting.  ;-O

As a guitar player, I never really understood re-amping... and need the feedback off of the goofy stuff you're plugged into.  Using FX within Sonar, requires you to do such a procedure of recording your "live performance", without just slapping the same FX on your gtr track on playback....thinking it's the same "final" result, that you were hearing when playing live/recording.

EDIT....ok perfect example.  Could you have re-amped Jimi's guitar for his version of the "Star Spangled Banner"?  No...not a synth, but I'm thinking same principle here, wanted by the OP.
post edited by mixmkr - 2015/02/16 21:13:38

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:07:03 (permalink)
rabeach
John

This is the reason for having this option. Cakewalk provides VSTi with random generators but not the possibility of printing the audio without third party plugins or hardware routing. The one that is the right "one" is the one I'm performing "now". There is nothing weak about that.

We will have to disagree on this one. If its random you can't know if another go wont be the perfect one or not. If it is just a case of the "first one" then freeze it just once. 

Best
John
Resonant Serpent
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:15:22 (permalink)
Actually, there are scenarios where you want to record things live. There are several Reaktor ensembles, especially the glitch sample manipulators, that don't respond to automation that are meant to be tweaked by hand. You could use the stand-alone recorder in Reaktor, but then you don't have the benefit of the other tracks that you're trying to play along with. Also, no way to load up effects for the recording. It's a function I'd love to see in Sonar. In Reaper, you can choose your outputs as your inputs, depending on your soundcard, and record what you hear. Allows me to import a guide track, then tweak away and record. It's the only reason I keep that program installed.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: X3 Producer: Why is it so difficult to record audio from a soft synth? 2015/02/16 21:16:54 (permalink)
It's not hard to do, that is to record your VSTi in real time, you just have to be prepared to deal with the issues that it brings up. Send your monitor source out of your audio device and loop it back onto another track making sure that that track is out of your monitor path. Voila, you have a live recoding of your performance. If you are going to add further material you'll have to nudge the recorded VSTi audio tracks.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1