Yorkshire Puddings

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 19:30:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Twigman

ORIGINAL: mgh

black pudding sir. a fine treat mostly made of pig's blood. oh yes, it MUST be eaten cooked....(i like it raw.......)

you are making me hungry!

I love black pudding

mmm so do I, so much so I still have this record I bought when I was a lad. Great lyrics.

I do a nice apple and black pudding starter, cooked in butter and cider occasionally when I have guests round, goes down well with folks from up north but southerners seem to poke it round the plate more than eat it !!!

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 19:55:27 (permalink)
much talk of black pudding, but no talk of white pudding.. bah

Garry I'm a "southerner" but well my roots are Irish, so it's more common over there.. much like red lemonade etc.

you might find white pudding in Irish shops, Galtee make it.... near the Brendan Shine tapes

although the good thing about Ireland was they used to use it as a test ground for sweets... I was eating twirls before 6 years before they were out here.. I do remember one year a relative visiting with some.. a case of errm 48 or something , as she owned a corner shop (well not technically try it wasn't on a corner).. although Tiffen.. now thats something tuff to get in the UK.

but years ago when my mum was growing up they used to make their own black and white pudding..

(who'd of thought.. a whole 2 pages on this subject... *turns a blind eye to the off topic*)

post edited by Fog - 2009/01/27 19:59:59
Garry Stubbs
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 20:07:11 (permalink)
White pudding eh Foggy, haven't had any for years, but like you, although living "down south" I come from Liverpool originally and naturally many irish native foods could be found in some of the shops there. I also remember my mum coming home regularly with soda bread, which no one else had heard of over here until Morrisons I think started stocking it in recent years.

Yes how did we get from yorkshire puds to black and white puds?
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 20:46:59 (permalink)

If we're diversifying into general Britnosh, let's hear it for mushy peas and pickled eggs

And spam fritters.

And definitely pork scratching - not the puffy ones, the proper hard 'uns.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Crg
  • Total Posts : 7719
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 21:05:16 (permalink)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yorkshire pudding involves blood and meat? If so why would you serve it to a veger Onion or not?

In my opinion one must always make one's own and Aunt Bessies are horrible.

Now, the debate is whether they should only be served with roast beef or with any roast joint?

And what kind of sausages make the best toad in the hole?

And is it really rude to serve them with onion gravy to a vegetarian?

Craig DuBuc
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 21:10:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yorkshire pudding involves blood and meat? If so why would you serve it to a veger Onion or not?

In my opinion one must always make one's own and Aunt Bessies are horrible.

Now, the debate is whether they should only be served with roast beef or with any roast joint?

And what kind of sausages make the best toad in the hole?

And is it really rude to serve them with onion gravy to a vegetarian?

Crg 'Yorkshire Pudding' is just oven baked batter, it's black pudding that's blood and guts....personally I wouldn't feed it to my cat, but then I don't have a cat.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
SteveStrummerUK
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 21:14:58 (permalink)

I would love to feed next door's cats....

To a very hungry Rottweiller called Timothy

Crg
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 21:19:26 (permalink)
Thanks for clearing that up Jonbouy, I've always been under the impression that Yorkshire pudding was a meat based dish. What kind of batter? Butter based?

Craig DuBuc
Jonbouy
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/27 21:25:31 (permalink)
Here ya go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/yorkshirepudding_67385.shtml

Make sure you get the oven real hot though and don't open it during cooking and you'll be good to go.

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 00:28:09 (permalink)
Yorkshire Pudding sounds interesting - I had to look it up. We just did chicken-fried steak for my dad's birthday - west texas country fare. Pounded round steak dipped in flour and fried (and cream gravy, of course). They can't make it in restaurants - not the real thing. And no body makes it like my grandma - she made it every sunday. We only manage it twice a year - a big freaking mess and cholesterol. But some of the best eating ....

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Twigman
Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3667
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 06:05:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

Here ya go.

Make sure you get the oven real hot though and don't open it during cooking and you'll be good to go.

Don't cook your yorkshire pud in vegetable oil - use smoking beef dripping - it makes a huge difference.

That BBC recipe does not mention the most important part - whisk the batter so that it contains a lot of air and then leave to settle for 20 minutes before pouring...

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
Fog
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 07:05:35 (permalink)
Crg, it's funny with the food thing.. in the US .... some people eat errm "grits" .... over hear we "grit" the road..hehe
Fog
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 07:08:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
spam fritters.

I take that phrase... raise it.... school dinners.... and add....runny custard..lol
SteveStrummerUK
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 07:11:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

spam fritters.

I take that phrase... raise it.... school dinners.... and add....runny custard..lol

Runny custard for school dinners?

You were lucky

It was a case of 'how many slices' at my school.

And what about school semolina - loverley

Twigman
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 07:52:38 (permalink)
Talking of poor food:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html

Dear Mr Branson

REF: Mumbai to Heathrow 7th December 2008

I love the Virgin brand, I really do which is why I continue to use it despite a series of unfortunate incidents over the last few years. This latest incident takes the biscuit.

Ironically, by the end of the flight I would have gladly paid over a thousand rupees for a single biscuit following the culinary journey of hell I was subjected to at the hands of your corporation.
Look at this Richard. Just look at it:

I imagine the same questions are racing through your brilliant mind as were racing through mine on that fateful day. What is this? Why have I been given it? What have I done to deserve this? And, which one is the starter, which one is the desert?

You don't get to a position like yours Richard with anything less than a generous sprinkling of observational power so I KNOW you will have spotted the tomato next to the two yellow shafts of sponge on the left. Yes, it's next to the sponge shaft without the green paste. That's got to be the clue hasn't it. No sane person would serve a desert with a tomato would they. Well answer me this Richard, what sort of animal would serve a desert with peas in:

I know it looks like a baaji but it's in custard Richard, custard. It must be the pudding. Well you'll be fascinated to hear that it wasn't custard. It was a sour gel with a clear oil on top. It's only redeeming feature was that it managed to be so alien to my palette that it took away the taste of the curry emanating from our miscellaneous central cuboid of beige matter. Perhaps the meal on the left might be the desert after all.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant at the moment. I was raised strictly but neatly by my parents and if they knew I had started desert before the main course, a sponge shaft would be the least of my worries. So lets peel back the tin-foil on the main dish and see what's on offer.

I'll try and explain how this felt. Imagine being a twelve year old boy Richard. Now imagine it's Christmas morning and you're sat their with your final present to open. It's a big one, and you know what it is. It's that Goodmans stereo you picked out the catalogue and wrote to Santa about.
Only you open the present and it's not in there. It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing. That's how I felt when I peeled back the foil and saw this:

Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking it's more of that Baaji custard. I admit I thought the same too, but no. It's mustard Richard. MUSTARD. More mustard than any man could consume in a month. On the left we have a piece of broccoli and some peppers in a brown glue-like oil and on the right the chef had prepared some mashed potato. The potato masher had obviously broken and so it was decided the next best thing would be to pass the potatoes through the digestive tract of a bird.
Once it was regurgitated it was clearly then blended and mixed with a bit of mustard. Everybody likes a bit of mustard Richard.

By now I was actually starting to feel a little hypoglycaemic. I needed a sugar hit. Luckily there was a small cookie provided. It had caught my eye earlier due to it's baffling presentation:

It appears to be in an evidence bag from the scene of a crime. A CRIME AGAINST BLOODY COOKING. Either that or some sort of back-street underground cookie, purchased off a gun-toting maniac high on his own supply of yeast. You certainly wouldn't want to be caught carrying one of these through customs. Imagine biting into a piece of brass Richard. That would be softer on the teeth than the specimen above.

I was exhausted. All I wanted to do was relax but obviously I had to sit with that mess in front of me for half an hour. I swear the sponge shafts moved at one point.

Once cleared, I decided to relax with a bit of your world-famous onboard entertainment. I switched it on:

I apologise for the quality of the photo, it's just it was incredibly hard to capture Boris Johnson's face through the flickering white lines running up and down the screen. Perhaps it would be better on another channel:

Is that Ray Liotta? A question I found myself asking over and over again throughout the gruelling half-hour I attempted to watch the film like this. After that I switched off. I'd had enough. I was the hungriest I'd been in my adult life and I had a splitting headache from squinting at a crackling screen.

My only option was to simply stare at the seat in front and wait for either food, or sleep. Neither came for an incredibly long time. But when it did it surpassed my wildest expectations:

Yes! It's another crime-scene cookie. Only this time you dunk it in the white stuff.

Richard.... What is that white stuff? It looked like it was going to be yoghurt. It finally dawned on me what it was after staring at it. It was a mixture between the Baaji custard and the Mustard sauce. It reminded me of my first week at university. I had overheard that you could make a drink by mixing vodka and refreshers. I lied to my new friends and told them I'd done it loads of times. When I attempted to make the drink in a big bowl it formed a cheese Richard, a cheese. That cheese looked a lot like your baaji-mustard.

So that was that Richard. I didn't eat a bloody thing. My only question is: How can you live like this? I can't imagine what dinner round your house is like, it must be like something out of a nature documentary.

As I said at the start I love your brand, I really do. It's just a shame such a simple thing could bring it crashing to it's knees and begging for sustenance.

Yours Sincererly...
post edited by Twigman - 2009/01/28 07:55:37

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Garry Stubbs
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 08:59:05 (permalink)
Twiggy, I read that yesterday in the online edition, hilarious, this is what happens when you try too hard.

Did anyone see the TV program in the UK last week where Little Chef (the roadside chain of eateries for non UK forumites) hired Heston Blumenthal - yes HESTON BLUMENTHAL ! - to revamp the menu at Little Chef. My partner, son and I all sat down to watch this which is a very rare thing to do but we all predicted disaster, and thats precisely what happened over three episodes. As my son said beforehand, we want an Early Starter or Olympic brekky (Little Chef equivalent of a full english breakfast) at a reasonable price. Spot on son, everyone I know says they avoid the Little Chef because the prices have got outrageous. You have a national chain where millions of cars go past every day and yet they only ever have a handful of people in at any time. So what does the dork of a new Chief Exec do, hire the bloke that gave the world poncey food such as snail porridge and bacon and egg ice cream. The results were predictable, and hilarious to say the least. At one point he was getting the staff to serve up basically an early starter breakfast but with the addition of a few drops of brown coloured liquid dispensed with a pipette !!! I kid you not, there were gales of laughter in our living room which resulted in the dog running scared and a couple of minor injuries through slipping off sofas and knocking glasses over. No one came out with any glory, and of course the voting customers came out 5 to 1 in preferring the original Little Chef menu. It makes the mind boggle at the vacuity of these grey men in suits who control much of our lives.

Anyway, I offer you - The traditional roadside Little Chef Early Starter or Olympic breakfast (at the right price of course)

Garry Kiosk

As an update, this morning I met a neighbour near the village shop, he asked me if we could recommend the comedy film we were watching last week as he could hear us laughing inside the house as he walked the dog last week. You should have seen his face when I said we were watching a program about UK business .....
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/01/28 09:29:14
Crg
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 09:31:15 (permalink)

Craig DuBuc
jeffb63
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 516
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 10:08:01 (permalink)
Did anyone see the TV program in the UK last week where Little Chef (the roadside chain of eateries for non UK forumites) hired Heston Blumenthal

I liked the sound of the lamb thyroid hotpot with an oyster in it.

Interestingly, by the time it reached the menu the word thyroid had been dropped.

On the main subject, no-one makes better Yorkshires than my Mrs and, much as I hate to admit, the Scots make the best black pudding.

The food of the gods, however, is North Staffordshire Oatcakes fried in bacon fat or butter or served stuffed with bacon and cheese.

Studio:
X3 Producer on i7 4770K Asus Z87-K 32Gb G-Skill Trident X. W8.1 x64. 2408 Mk3, ADI8-DD. BCF2000. 
Stage:
Cantabile Performer 2 on Lenovo W530 i7 3720QM 16Gb DDR3. Samsung 840 Evo, Samsung 840 Pro. W7 x64.
Twigman
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 10:17:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Sounds like pasta to me.

Funny looking pasta - LOL

Become a Fan on Facebook
Buy our stuff on iTunes
Fog
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 10:42:01 (permalink)
Garry, I like Heston in the sense of that restaurant In Bray? the fat duck or something.. he has serves BIZARRE food.. but it's partly science to how he does the stuff, so is he an amazing cook..hhmm he just took a different angle.. it's a place where you sorta go once.. as it's £300 PER head or so.. but it's not just 1 meal it's loads of small dishes and it's about 2-3 hours , so not that expensive but not something you do every day.. once in a lifetime sorta thing.

I dated someones, her uncle ran a restaurant in Belgavia down the road from harrods. 9 course.. probably was £120+ .. I wasn't paying.... joke was they weren't Thai... and the chef was Irish Great food, BUT for those who whack it on buisness expenses. Almost as funny as the English restaurant off regent street. Me + 6 women (one was the same girlfriend mentioned already).. waiters were WELL snotty and rude and food was bland, maybe because they weren't white and I was.. So on the way out.. i said what, haven't you seen an Hareem before? haha

Little chef I went to ONCE on the a12 or a13 when I went to Greenwich market from Essex (and yes the girlfriend in question at the time was blonde..haha) .. it was a massive rip off £20 for 2 people for breakfast.. Had the same in hotels in the past... I just said to the women I was dating that time.. I'll take you to the local tesco coffee shop instead.. order as much as you want, but no way am I paying the over inflated prices. Although the holiday inn.. was free another time I had to stay in a hotel.

I do find high end places a joke.. if you know your area well you can get some decent places that are really cheap and the food is decent.
Garry Stubbs
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 12:09:09 (permalink)
Fog, I actually like the concept of what Heston does as well, totally left field and full of imagination. Thats why he was just so unsuitable for the Little Chef and I dont know why he took up THAT particular assignment, I mean it's not as if he is short of publicity or money I would of thought (although you never know of course) The management came out badly out of the exercise I think. They probably thought it would be good publicity for them but it seemed to backfire in a bad way which wont get more people through the doors. They never allowed for the fact that, being a top chef, he expected them to actually implement his suggestions and no wonder Heston kicked up a fuss when they effectively double crossed him and introduced another new menu nationwide without telling him. What a palaver. I like your restaurant stories, especially going out with all those women, how did you pull that one off? You are right about Tesco, a Tesco brekkie is really cheap but in my local Tesco they have just pulled out the cafe and put a Starbucks franchise in there instead. Not good. I went to a band rehearsal last night, gig on saturday coming up, set up very early and while waiting for the others to turn up I nipped up the road to the nearest chippie and and had sausage and chips with curry sauce in a polystyrene tray with a wooden fork, whilst sat in my car, another classic British roadside tradition.

SteveStrummerUK
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 13:43:47 (permalink)

My lamb's thyroid soufflé has failed to rise...

... Heston, we have a problem

Fog
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 14:42:01 (permalink)
Garry, you know about the burger vans etc? they apparently in some places have to offer a healthy alternative these days
Garry Stubbs
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 14:51:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

Garry, you know about the burger vans etc? they apparently in some places have to offer a healthy alternative these days

Tsk tsk - The reach of the Nanny state knows no boundary in the good ole U of K any more. Coming soon, noise abatement at sporting events... no shouting allowed....
Garry Stubbs
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 15:02:32 (permalink)

"Roger that, Gastronaut"
SteveStrummerUK
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/28 15:20:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

"Roger that, Gastronaut"

Argggghhhhhhhhhhh - that's worse than mine

Fog
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/29 22:00:52 (permalink)
AT , that was black pudding you were served in the B & B ..hehe

it's nice IF cooked properly, but not something you would want every day.

Mark, it's partly cooked if I recall? bit like hagis.. I mean boil it before you get it in the shop.. my mum used to eat them like that in Ireland when she was young.. so thats going back .. well a long time,

the thing I never used to get with the fry up was .... fried slice (fried bread ..eeek)

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/30 00:40:04 (permalink)
Fog,

yea, I looked it up. Black pudding, blood sausage. from there it was a wiki pedia gastronomic stroll for full breakfasts and fry ups from here in the usa to Poland. What a way to waste an hour or so with fruitless knowledge - the best kind.

Nothing really beats breakfast tacos w/ sliced red pepper on the side, tho, for breakfast (or dinner). Don't know if that would work in the jolly ole UK, tho. I do know yankees are constitutionally unable to make mezican food or ice tea. Genetic, not cultural, since I tried to teach a NY girlfriend (good cook) but she could never got the hang of it.

later,

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Jonbouy
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/30 16:35:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

Fog,

yea, I looked it up. Black pudding, blood sausage. from there it was a wiki pedia gastronomic stroll for full breakfasts and fry ups from here in the usa to Poland. What a way to waste an hour or so with fruitless knowledge - the best kind.

Nothing really beats breakfast tacos w/ sliced red pepper on the side, tho, for breakfast (or dinner). Don't know if that would work in the jolly ole UK, tho. I do know yankees are constitutionally unable to make mezican food or ice tea. Genetic, not cultural, since I tried to teach a NY girlfriend (good cook) but she could never got the hang of it.

later,

@

I love a bit of Tex-Mex food personally, actually I had Nachos, chilli and refried beans for dinner tonight...mind you what we can get here probably isn't all that, but it was tasty none the less.

Scoot
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Yorkshire Puddings 2009/01/30 16:52:34 (permalink)
what is it ya'll serve for breakfast? Blood pudding or something?

But don't you put your porridge on your full English.. er full American, what is it you call it, 'Grits'

Twigman, As it happens, only half an hour ago, I finish my Vegetarian Lincolnshire sausage Toad in the hole, with King Edward Mash, savoy cabbage and Onion Bisto (made with fried onions and mushrooms, coated in granules, before a large dash of balsamic vinegar before bringing the gravy to consistancy with the water from the savoy'. It's what makes winter great.

If your asking, is it rude to serve onion gravy to a vegetarian, no!
If you asking, is it rude to serve meat toad in the hole to a vegetarian with onion gravy, then it's trhe same answer as giving it to a Jew, and I think you knew the answer

HP ENVY Notebook - 15t-k100 CTO i7 -4510U CPU @ 2.00 GHZ 8gb RAM. Windows 8.1 64bit Full HD Touchscreen
Sonar X3 Producer, AAS Complete set, XLN AD Keys and Drums, TH2
Roland Quad Capture, AudioTeckina 3035 Mic and ATH-M50 Headphones.
Korg Nanopad2, WX5 Midi Sax, , Soprano Sax, Alto and Soprano Flute, Acoustic Guitar and Epiphone Dot

Scoot not scook
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1