Zero latency?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/23 18:24:50 (permalink)
i understand that what you want is a single button to freeze an entire mix, but remember that implementing any feature means that some other feature is not being implemented. What I don't know is whether substituting one click for ctrl-A+two clicks would be seen as such a significant benefit by the majority of the user base that it would be worth taking the time to implement, test, and debug something that essentially saves a shortcut and a click.

Furthermore, if you have any external inserts or use external DSP boxes (e.g., Universal Audio or Duende), you couldn't do a global freeze. So you'd have to do a real-time bounce anyway to include those tracks.

Another issue is that computers keep getting faster and latencies keep getting lower. A lot of people don't even feel the need to use track freeze any more; since the whole reason you want a global freeze is to overdub with the lowest possible latency, I think this feature might become irrelevant sooner rather than later anyway.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/23 21:19:33 (permalink)
Mr. Anderton,

The tradeoff is that if you record, you're recording the processed sound - not recording the dry sound and "re-amping" afterwards, as happens with conventional plug-ins. However, this means you have to commit to a sound in the recording process, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Not so.  When you do this, if you split the input (which I actually do with a little external mixer, but if using the Toneport AS your recording soundcard happens internally), then you get the dry signal on the recorded track and the wet signal as "what you hear".  It really is the best of both worlds.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Anderton
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/23 21:53:10 (permalink)
Hmmm...it was that way with the KB37. I covered that aspect in a review of it, and the review went through fact-check with Line 6 and they said it was right. Maybe it changed when the Gearbox software became a plug-in instead of capable of being run only in conjunction with the interface?

In any event, thanks for the heads-up if my info is outdated...I noticed I wrote the review in 2007 (!)

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/23 22:13:46 (permalink)
Blades
Not sure how relevant this is now, but back in the early 2000s I got a Line6 TonePort device, one of the first with near-zero monitoring, I think.  The nice thing at the time is that you could set your mix to something intolerable like 40ms and still play your guitar or record your vocals WITH effects via the Toneport software at something more like 2-5ms.  So, when you had a really full-of-effects project, you could easily add in your effect-laden guitar stack or several layers of vocals with reverb with no problem.

It was REALLY helpful.  Of course, now with more power in PCs, better driver stacks, etc, getting lower latencies later in a project is a lot more realistic than it was then.  I still occasionally like to use this method when I think of it, rather than going through the freeze process or similar, which are a creativity killer for me.  This is one of the reasons why the vDrums kit still trumps any sample librsary I've tried.  The latency is VERY noticeably better for getting groove nuances and feel when playing even if technically the samples are better in a drum library.  I just can't DEAL with any noticeable latency when tracking drums.  It just wrecks it for me.

I think if you have an option to be able to get closer to zero (regardless of what it actually measures at) you should do whatever you can to get there.  I'd rather record with no effects/completely dry (of course not reasonable with effected guitar sounds) than to have a little latency.  It takes a little getting used to, but its easier to do and the end result is simply much tighter recordings.

There's my $.02, anyway.

Blades - I fully concur with your experience.

I have a machine with very fast specs, lots of RAM and now SSDs. I have several excellent audio interfaces.

But for recording audio with a zero latency like experience, I use a Line 6 KB-37, a cousin of the device you mentioned. In side by side tests time and again I find the KB-37 consistently delivers a very satisfying zero latency like experience even when I'm listening to the audio track input monitor of the track I'm recording, even when it's loaded with effects - in songs with 75 other audio tracks. This is compared to other interfaces that can introduce some latencies that can be hard to work with. In contrast, the KB-37 lets me hear the fully effected signal like real time, it just works and records the dry signal cleanly. It's fantastic.

Here are two dated links about the KB-37, but it's a champ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwBR1OfHRtM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpCXWSC8TE

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 09:34:40 (permalink)
Anderton
i understand that what you want is a single button to freeze an entire mix, but remember that implementing any feature means that some other feature is not being implemented. What I don't know is whether substituting one click for ctrl-A+two clicks would be seen as such a significant benefit by the majority of the user base that it would be worth taking the time to implement, test, and debug something that essentially saves a shortcut and a click.

Furthermore, if you have any external inserts or use external DSP boxes (e.g., Universal Audio or Duende), you couldn't do a global freeze. So you'd have to do a real-time bounce anyway to include those tracks.

Another issue is that computers keep getting faster and latencies keep getting lower. A lot of people don't even feel the need to use track freeze any more; since the whole reason you want a global freeze is to overdub with the lowest possible latency, I think this feature might become irrelevant sooner rather than later anyway.

Computers do get faster, but the software gets fatter. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if MOTU would have allowed plug-in use for their own low-latency CueMix, I wouldn't even be asking this, since I wouldn't be using the Echo function in Sonar. Even so, using the Echo function in Sonar is very inconsistent for me (sometimes merely stopping and restarting the Playback drastically changes the echo delay), and regardless of how low you can get the latency, there's still a serious battle between delay and audio-drops. We're not there yet, IMO.

True that some features which we ask for could be asking to reduce the resources to work on other aspects of Sonar features, but lately, what CW has put into Sonar hasn't been too useful for me. There are some cool features, to be sure, but nothing lately that has saved me any significant time in tracking and mixing beyond X1.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Anderton
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 13:36:23 (permalink)
brconflict

Computers do get faster, but the software gets fatter. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if MOTU would have allowed plug-in use for their own low-latency CueMix, I wouldn't even be asking this

The problem is as soon as you allow the use of plug-ins, then you're back to the latency issues that IIRC CueMix is designed to defeat by hooking directly into your interface and bypassing the computer.

Using the Echo function in Sonar is very inconsistent for me (sometimes merely stopping and restarting the Playback drastically changes the echo delay), and regardless of how low you can get the latency, there's still a serious battle between delay and audio-drops. We're not there yet, IMO.

Are you using plug-ins with lookahead? Understanding when/how to use the PDC (Path Delay Compensation) function in Sonar can be very helpful. For example limiters, compressors, "maximizers," and even some noise gates can have lookaheads of one to dozens of milliseconds; having a Waves Maximizer inserted in the master bus during tracking causes the latency to skyrocket to the point of being unusable. This is because Sonar is using PDC to delay all the other tracks to match the delay of the maximizer so they all sync up. When tracking, I simply disable plug-ins with lookahead and can then run at the lowest possible latency. When mixing, a couple dozen milliseconds of extra latency doesn't really matter except for fader moves requiring extreme precision.

I record consistently at 96 samples without dropouts, and these are projects with lots of tracks...in some cases over 80 tracks. With lots of virtual instruments, I need to bump up to 128 samples because I usually don't freeze them...128 samples is acceptable to me.

True that some features which we ask for could be asking to reduce the resources to work on other aspects of Sonar features, but lately, what CW has put into Sonar hasn't been too useful for me. There are some cool features, to be sure, but nothing lately that has saved me any significant time in tracking and mixing beyond X1.

Speed Comping, Quick Grouping, audio-to-MIDI conversion, and the Bi-Directional Browser and other browser enhancements (e.g., keyboard shortcut support) have saved me a lot of time. Also colorization makes it easier to parse tracks quickly, and using Melodyne means I don't lose time from V-Vocal crashing  However development also means things like VST3 support and ARA integration, which may or may not speed up tracking and mixing but support newer generations of tools like Melodyne, Padshop, etc. that some people consider important. Also ARA can be useful in more contexts than just pitch correction, and I expect will be exploited for other applications in the years ahead. But from a programming standpoint, from what I understand it was a bear to add and QC ARA and VST3 integration.

brconflict
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 14:16:13 (permalink)
Anderton
brconflict

Computers do get faster, but the software gets fatter. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if MOTU would have allowed plug-in use for their own low-latency CueMix, I wouldn't even be asking this

The problem is as soon as you allow the use of plug-ins, then you're back to the latency issues that IIRC CueMix is designed to defeat by hooking directly into your interface and bypassing the computer.

Using the Echo function in Sonar is very inconsistent for me (sometimes merely stopping and restarting the Playback drastically changes the echo delay), and regardless of how low you can get the latency, there's still a serious battle between delay and audio-drops. We're not there yet, IMO.

Are you using plug-ins with lookahead? Understanding when/how to use the PDC (Path Delay Compensation) function in Sonar can be very helpful. For example limiters, compressors, "maximizers," and even some noise gates can have lookaheads of one to dozens of milliseconds; having a Waves Maximizer inserted in the master bus during tracking causes the latency to skyrocket to the point of being unusable. This is because Sonar is using PDC to delay all the other tracks to match the delay of the maximizer so they all sync up. When tracking, I simply disable plug-ins with lookahead and can then run at the lowest possible latency. When mixing, a couple dozen milliseconds of extra latency doesn't really matter except for fader moves requiring extreme precision.

I record consistently at 96 samples without dropouts, and these are projects with lots of tracks...in some cases over 80 tracks. With lots of virtual instruments, I need to bump up to 128 samples because I usually don't freeze them...128 samples is acceptable to me.

Speed Comping, Quick Grouping, audio-to-MIDI conversion, and the Bi-Directional Browser and other browser enhancements (e.g., keyboard shortcut support) have saved me a lot of time. Also colorization makes it easier to parse tracks quickly, and using Melodyne means I don't lose time from V-Vocal crashing  However development also means things like VST3 support and ARA integration, which may or may not speed up tracking and mixing but support newer generations of tools like Melodyne, Padshop, etc. that some people consider important. Also ARA can be useful in more contexts than just pitch correction, and I expect will be exploited for other applications in the years ahead. But from a programming standpoint, from what I understand it was a bear to add and QC ARA and VST3 integration.

I must not be making a useful argument, and spinning my wheels here.  I had a long response prepared to address each point, but it's really not going to help. Nothing added to Sonar recently has made anything faster for me beyond X1. It's only become more reliable and responsive, which I praise the bakers for that. I record and mix live bands in the studio. I was excited to see the new features, but in practice they've only moved the efficiency challenges rather than eliminated them.

I'm still wishing for Global freeze. In my shoes perhaps it might make more sense.

Thanks!

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Anderton
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 14:30:15 (permalink)
brconflict
I record and mix live bands in the studio.

Aha!! That was a crucial piece of data   Now I see where you're coming from. (And it's kind of comforting to know some people still record that way...)

However, if you are using plug-ins during the tracking process, please do consider the above comments regarding PDC. If you don't use plug-ins, they're irrelevant.

One possible solution is to avoid plug-ins altogether while tracking by using an interface with DSP. That way the singer can get reverb in the cans, the bass player can get compression, etc. Then when mixing, you can replace those with "real" plug-ins.

The people I know in your situation sometimes choose to separate the capture and editing media, e.g. Bruce Swedien prefers to record to tape then transfers to a DAW for editing. Maybe something like this is more relevant to your needs than a DAW.

Your application explains in a nutshell why ADAT was so popular...tracking was a piece of cake, then you could light pipe to a mixer or audio interface for editing/mixing.

brconflict
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 15:23:26 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm going to be shopping for better A/D in the next year or so. Use the MOTU for full band, and use another DSP A/D for Vocals. Seems like the best way in hardware.

Yes, sorry I should have mentioned that before that I mainly do Live bands.

Nah, I'm just hoping to improve on the Echo function Sonar has, if possible. As the hardware speeds up, and knowing PT has a low-latency tracking function, I'm thinking the idea of freezing tracks is JUST almost there.

Then we can talk about PSG's, another suggestion I made (a bit confusing to the board) that could save me hours and hours of time in multi-song projects.   I just sent it on to Noel with a Screencast. I don't know if he's watched it or sent it on, or filed it. But I'm passionate about that one.

Brian

Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 17:02:23 (permalink)
mike_mccue

As a comparison, if you are looking at the timing for a round trip through an analog monitor mix you can consider it would take an approximately 700 kilometer long audio cable to experience a 2 millisecond delay in the analog domain.

This is actually the exact length of all the cabeling I have in my studio.  True story...

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Wouter Schijns
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 17:03:40 (permalink)
trying to fix my Sonar latency too....
Under Preferences/driver setting I saw the roundtrip latency, then reduced buffers + increased sample rate to 96k....got it down to 9.2ms....ok for mastering I read.
Then took free VOXENGO LATENCY DELAY plugin, set it to reduce 9.2ms....then by ear tweaked it to 9.15....
exported a song....sounds great to me now....will have to hear it back later to be sure.

on a multiple track project, one will have to freeze/bounce tracks, not too much VSTs as most add latency....there are zero latency plugins though....

hope this helps anyone....

greeting & wishing well to US from Europe
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 17:45:02 (permalink)
Sonar has latency compensation built in. There is no need for such an extra plugin. In fact, if PDC works as expected on it, it will negate any change the plugin tries to make.
Moreover, we're talking here about latency during recording, that has nothing to do with any bouncing or rendering of tracks.
Wouter Schijns
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 18:21:32 (permalink)
not an expert but guess the PDC button reduces the audio by the detected input latency into Sonar at the time (calculating it through set sample rate/buffers etc) and bypassing the effects bins.
It cannot read/fix a latency from a pedal, cable, amp or guitar.
So might be worth trying/tweaking and LISTEN to something like the Voxengo latency plugin.
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 21:19:21 (permalink)

set it to reduce 9.2ms....then by ear tweaked it to 9.15

So - most humans can barely discern something like 4ms at best, but you can hear .05ms to tweak something? That's 0.0000025 seconds.  Really? 2.5/1,000,000 of a second?

Did I just read this wrong?  Or can I not do math?  Or was there a missing smiley in there somewhere?

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Splat
  • Total Posts : 8672
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/24 21:24:31 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
Sonar has latency compensation built in. There is no need for such an extra plugin.

+1

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
@48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
Wouter Schijns
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 02:20:00 (permalink)
íf it would not be hearable, doubt Voxengo and others build a special knob to set them.
they are the size of single samples, I hear a change of 1 or 2 on direct A-B comparison through good headphones, but you'll have to focus listening to attack on guitars, vocals to hear it.
but you're right a couple m/s won't ruin anything.
jrom
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 04:49:31 (permalink)
Hi

Just wanted to let you know, that since I posted this thread I have purchased a second hand mixer (Mackie 1202) and hooked it up to my interface. No more latency issues when recording overdubs! In addition inserting hardware delays/reverb for monitoring is so much easier.

I guess you knew that - maybe 

// Jan
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 04:53:35 (permalink)
Wouter, just to make sure, you're saying you can set the plugin to adjust delay by single samples and you can hear a difference (on good headphones)?

Also, basically you're saying you're compensating for delay gained through using (e.g.) a digital fx pedal? If you gain delay before hitting the DAW's A/D you can just nudge the track. Assuming that you can even play in time with such a delay. A plugin like you're describing does nothing for the perceived latency while you're playing, which is what we're talking about here.
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 20:02:06 (permalink)
 I just stumbled on this amazingly informative article about latency while shopping for a I/O box for my nephew. It's the kind of info that the magazines and most manufacturers seem to think more than their readers want to encounter. I consider it vital info for anyone that want to have fun while recording music, and the fact that someone has made such quality information available does a lot towards earning my interest in, confidence of, and enthusiasm for, a consideration of their products.

from: http://www.presonus.com/community/learn/the-truth-about-digital-audio-latency
post edited by Anderton - 2014/07/25 20:33:13

Anderton
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 20:34:10 (permalink)
We might get into trouble for reproducing copyrighted material...we can leave the link up, though.

BTW I know Wesley Smith (who wrote that), and she is extremely knowledgeable about a wide variety of tech topics.

[Edit] I just checked and it is copyrighted. Being from a nominal competitor, but also from people who happen to be friends, I need to remove the article itself but Mike is right that the article to which he links is very informative and well-written.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re: Zero latency? 2014/07/25 20:44:23 (permalink)
I've frequently said that, with my sloppy writing style and loosey goosey spelling habits, that I need a good editor and now I have one with a professional pedigree.

I have arrived!

:-)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1