I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects..

Author
rockoman
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 307
2010/12/08 22:32:23 (permalink)

I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects..

I know the GUI is a radical change but that's not the whole reason I will upgrade (actually it's more the price).  Anyway, anyone noticing better CPU performance compared to 8.5? What about Effects? I'm really dying to know if there's anything different that warrants me not having to purchase a new plugIn suite. I was in the market for one ever since I upgraded my computer to 64bit but I was hoping X1 would come with enough to hold me off for a while. How are the effects? Anything new or is it the same Sonitus Plugs as always? Please, do tell.

Thank you,
Rock

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

10 Replies Related Threads

bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/08 22:51:10 (permalink)
    Someone commented on the Pro Channel in this thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2151345

Everything I've heard about it so far seems very positive.
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/08 23:18:08 (permalink)
    Hi,

As far as performance,

This is all subject to systems and setups. But personally I had a project that pushed my Sonar 8.5 to near dropout limits. After reading this thread I decided to see how that same project survived in X1.  A bit of a stress test.

To my SURPRISE The CPU load is down 23% and is running smooth as silk. This is a current song I am working on for my album (Same project worked on last night during download)  Whatever X1 is doing for this project, I am very very pleased. (A bit shocked actually. Im really pushing sonar hard with this project)

Best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

rockoman
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/09 07:32:58 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

Hi,

As far as performance,

This is all subject to systems and setups. But personally I had a project that pushed my Sonar 8.5 to near dropout limits. After reading this thread I decided to see how that same project survived in X1.  A bit of a stress test.

To my SURPRISE The CPU load is down 23% and is running smooth as silk. This is a current song I am working on for my album (Same project worked on last night during download)  Whatever X1 is doing for this project, I am very very pleased. (A bit shocked actually. Im really pushing sonar hard with this project)

Best,

That's really awesome to read! Wow 23%???!! What about effects? Would you or anyone care to elaborate regarding the effects included in X1? I'd certainly appreciate it.

It's not what we're doing, it's how you do it :)

hillsc
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 01:48:05 (permalink)
    Here's my story. My main music PC died over the summer and that put me out of sorts for a while on the home recording front. I bought myself a laptop (for many reasons) and then decided to upgrade to Sonar 8.5 Studio after the X1 announcement came out.

The laptop (with its mediocre on-board audio hardware) could nonetheless run a song with nine tracks and three soft synths. Barely. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it would skip around a bit, and sometimes I'd get that noisy clicking annoyance which could be cured by either raising (or lowering!---no rhyme or reason to this) the latency.

With some success with a midi-only project, I attempted one of the audio tutorials. It simply would not play at all: sluggish, choppy, and unusable.

ENTER THE DRAGON

So I fire up X1 Studio not twenty minutes ago and load up the big audio tutorial file: 28 tracks, plus about 15 soft synths loaded, some tracks frozen, some not. I had no hopes whatsoever that this monster would play on my laptop.

IT WAS FLAWLESS. X1 played the song, start to finish, without a glitch (and without any further tweaking on my part--8.5 required constant tweaking). Right out of the box. I was stunned and I only mean that in the best possible way.

I'm very eager to continue this exploration now!

Charlie
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 03:23:36 (permalink)
    I actually notice a SLIGHT performance improvement as well.

But where do you see the exact CPU %?  I only see the bars in the control bar ... advise please Scott?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 05:10:06 (permalink)
    Yeah, the bar thing is like "cool, it now shows all cores" but it's hard to tell what they are really doing (and of course the first bar is the highest which always concerns me)

The one little cpu bumper I noticed is the "gloss" eq seems to jump the cpu a couple extra notches...which is no big, just letting you know.

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 05:24:36 (permalink)
    I can't believe I'm the first to say this, but... 23% improvement IS in the 20-40% window... 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    ProjectM
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3941
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 07:51:43 (permalink)
    Ha ha Subtlearts-that cracks me up man!

I haven't had the time I need with X1 to have tested it properly. However, I have skimmed the surface a little and have to say that so far the Pro Channel sounds fantastic! And if it doesn't take too much CPU power to run, then even better. The only problem was that I got a clicking sound if I switched on the different components while in playback. Sometimes that happened when twisting the knobs too. Probably a fix for that soon.

I have to get used to the GUI and I most definitely learn to set up Windows so I can switch between. The only worry I have is that it took a little while for it to jump to a new window layout when I tested the ones out of the box. But if that is the case (I'm not even sure:p) then it will probably be fixed soon too.

So far, diggin' it.

(Sonar Platinum - Win10 x64) - iMac and 13" MacBook - Logic Pro X ++ - UA Apollo Twin DUO - NI Maschine MKII - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 - Novation Nocturne - KRK Rokit 6
    Soundcloud
    Negative Vibe Records
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 08:31:25 (permalink)
    chrisharbin said...

I noticed is the "gloss" eq seems to jump the cpu a couple extra notches

Now, I haven't had a chance to download Sonar X1 yet (hopefully tonight or tomorrow), but I thought that I saw on another thread that this is true, but will only happen when you initially use it in a project.  Additional instances of the EQ doesn't raise it by that same increment.

If that is true, I can understand that as it is loading up the functionality into memory for the first instance.

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:I want to read about how X1 performs, not how it looks. Especially Effects.. 2010/12/10 15:35:04 (permalink)
    I haven't tested it that extensively but it only happens when the "gloss" button is pressed. Otherwise instances of pro strip don't really add much (so far........more testing to do!)

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1