How does PRO CHANNEL sound???

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Fess
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 94
2010/12/08 20:53:02 (permalink)

How does PRO CHANNEL sound???

Okay, I've been reading post after post and it doesn't seem like anyone has really commented on the sound of the pro channel. People seem more concerned about whether the mouse wheel works with it...great. Does anybody care what it sounds like? Could someone please test it and provide feedback? I understand that X1 has bugs-that's clear, and I know in time the developers will clean them up and eventually everyone will be happy. It's easy to see this DAW has a lot of potential...BUT, I want to know about the pro channel specifically. How does it sound with different settings? How many instances can you load up etc.? When I get my copy, I've decided that I'll install it on a separate partition (both 32 and 64 bit versions) to test it myself, but that won't be for a few days by the looks of things. So please, any comments on the quality of the pro channel are most welcome and very appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

36 Replies Related Threads

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 20:56:46 (permalink)
    excellent ......the sound is ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 21:09:43 (permalink)
    It's sounds  vintage - LOL 

well - I think trying to describe how it sounds is hard - 

think compressors and eq sounds of the rock 70's 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Fess
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 21:48:54 (permalink)
    Mooch4056

Nice! That's what I was hoping for. Now, I'm gettin amped again...lol. Thanks for the info Mooch!

Peace.
    bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 22:07:21 (permalink)
    I'd like to here feedback as well.  Would like to know how some think it compares to some of the 3rd party emulations like Waves, PSP, UAD, etc.  Especially the 1176 and SSL ones.

Does it eliminate your need for any 3rd party eq/compressor plugins for the rest of your life?  
    Scott Lee
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 22:09:24 (permalink)
    Hi all,

Pro channel sounds fantastic! Love the parallel  NY compression, sidechaining and warmth. the Bus compessor adds analog warmth without coloring and or pumping (Yet getting the punch). Nice and smooth.

Eq also has really beautiful low pass filters sweeps, nothing brittle in the highs, again, nice and smooth with a fair amount of shine.

Coming from a Waves SSL user, this is my new S class compressor.

best,

post edited by Scott Lee - 2010/12/08 22:10:41

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 
    Song Composer / Engineer / Audio Director

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dezacrator?feature=mhee

Fess
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 22:11:38 (permalink)
    Nice nice nice. Can't wait to test this thing out. Where is that flippin email?!!
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 22:53:28 (permalink)
    Mooch4056

It's sounds  vintage - LOL 

well - I think trying to describe how it sounds is hard - 

That ought to make the more modern music makers happy ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Living Room Rocker
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 675
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/08 23:49:58 (permalink)
    JenksTer
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:02:11 (permalink)
    Pro Channel is v. good. One could argue that its worth the upgrade price alone...
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:14:34 (permalink)
    I'm playing around with re-mixing one of my songs to get familiar with the tools and layout.  I activated the pro-channel in several tracks just using the presets (the vocal preset, Bass preset and one of the master mixes) 

The vocal preset and the master mix preset I found to be horrible.  Like, so horrible I wondered if the plug in was absolute garbage, but then figured Cake wouldnt include it and use it as a selling point if it was that bad..so it must be me.  Overall, the Sonitus compressors sounded 10 x's better in my song.  Of course, I adjusted those to my mix originally and they were not presets.  I'm sure once I am familiar with the pro-channel I will get some better results.

In any event, after a slow start I am really loving the new work flow.  AND drawing envelopes I dare say is FUn! 

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Fess
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:18:13 (permalink)
    LpMike75

I'm playing around with re-mixing one of my songs to get familiar with the tools and layout.  I activated the pro-channel in several tracks just using the presets (the vocal preset, Bass preset and one of the master mixes) 

The vocal preset and the master mix preset I found to be horrible.  Like, so horrible I wondered if the plug in was absolute garbage, but then figured Cake wouldnt include it and use it as a selling point if it was that bad..so it must be me.  Overall, the Sonitus compressors sounded 10 x's better in my song.  Of course, I adjusted those to my mix originally and they were not presets.  I'm sure once I am familiar with the pro-channel I will get some better results.

In any event, after a slow start I am really loving the new work flow.  AND drawing envelopes I dare say is FUn! 

So, the pro channel sounds good to some and like a** to others...

Great lol.

chrisharbin
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1852
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:19:35 (permalink)
    Uh oh, here comes debbie downer LOL!

-Mousewheel support would be nice (or am I doing something wrong?)
    -Don't care for the compressor, BUT I am not a compressor kinda-guy really. The meters not moving I believe has already been addressed?
    -Saturation is very subtle imho, jury is WAY still out on that one.
    -The eq is nice. I have to play around more with the different modes a bit more though as again they seem so subtle I can't tell the difference LOL

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    Scott Lee
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:30:22 (permalink)
    Okay Debbie,

here we go.

- Mousewwheel support. It works fine on the inspector. Click on one on the knobs or sliders first (youll see a white outline around it) now you can mouse over that active inspector. Pro Channel seems to be inactive with mouseover, but Im sure it will be patched.

- Meter is working fine here on both compressors. Make sure you have enough threshhold for the signal to register.

Indeed playing with saturation a bit still. too early to tell.

EQ is smooth. like the low pass filter allot.

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

LpMike75
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:32:11 (permalink)
    Fess, 
       Dont hold alot of weight it my opinion.  I will stand by the vocal and master mix preset sounding horrible (atleast in the song I used it in) but I am sure people can get very good results with the Pro-Channel.  I am a compressor noob and it takes me forever to mix anything 1/2 way listenable.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 00:55:05 (permalink)
    Mike, not attacking you or anything, but to say that the presets sounded horrible on your mix is pretty dumb. It is absolutely essential that you adjust parameters on a compressor preset according to your track. Otherwise you might be applying 25dB of gain reduction at a 6:1 ratio on your mix - hardly desirable. 

Have a go at mixing with it without presets, then I'd love to hear your thoughts...
    post edited by jamescollins - 2010/12/09 00:56:28

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    LpMike75
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:15:07 (permalink)
    Hey James, 
        You may of missed my first post (#11) where I basically pointed this out as well.  I will definately play around with it in my next mix.  As a matter of fact, as soon as I get done drawing in envelopes just for fun all over the place I might give 'er another go. 

- Mike
    chrisharbin
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:18:05 (permalink)
    Scott Lee

Okay Debbie,

here we go.

- Mousewwheel support. It works fine on the inspector. Click on one on the knobs or sliders first (youll see a white outline around it) now you can mouse over that active inspector. Pro Channel seems to be inactive with mouseover, but Im sure it will be patched.

- Meter is working fine here on both compressors. Make sure you have enough threshhold for the signal to register.

Indeed playing with saturation a bit still. too early to tell.

EQ is smooth. like the low pass filter allot.

Will do on the threshold, but so far my meters are dead.

@Mousewheel support: Maybe mouseover is what I meant??

i7 860/MSI mobo/8GB ram/win7x64ultimate/X2/profire 610/oxygen 61/running 48k currently.
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:18:38 (permalink)
    No, I read that one and probably misunderstood it too! Do have a go with the ProChannel, I'm sitting through the download now, and would love to hear all about it.

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    Scott Lee
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:28:50 (permalink)
    Hi Chris,

I believe we are on the same page. Basically you want to "mouseover" a knob then use the mouse wheel to rotate or drop raise the level of a meter correct?

The inspector indeed works while pro channel seems to not function properly. Im sure this will be addressed soon ;)

best,

Scott Lee (ASCAP)
    SFX Media 

chrisharbin
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:40:20 (permalink)
    "phew"! I was beginning to wonder if it was just me. I also believe it will be addressed soon and look forward to it

Freddie H
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 01:46:55 (permalink)
    $$$ 10 000 000 dollar sound!
    Sounds as major high end hardware mixers SSL, API, NEVE. Very Musial, warm sound!

But there are some graphic problems, bugs going on.

Compressor meter doesn't work and mouse-pointer disappear right click in the console view? Bug!
    The ICONS of the "TUBE saturation"- icons doesn't get light up in use? Bug!

Also, if you change the EQ settings in the track-view INSPECTOR, the graphic of the console view EQ Graff doesn't get changes in real time. BUG!

The EQ Graff doesn't get updated in console of the same track until you select the CONSOLE view again on the second monitor.  I use two screens. The first monitor "Track-view". the second monitor floating CONSOLE-view.
    post edited by Freddie H - 2010/12/09 02:10:21

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    2re
    • Total Posts : 68
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 02:04:58 (permalink)
    I've done a quick comparison with the UAD 4K Buss Compressor and 1176LN. Mostly on drums, bass and full mix. My first impression was that they sounded pretty much the same. But I haven't done extensive testing yet.

SONAR Platinum  |  Windows 8 (x64)  |  i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz  |  Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB RAM  |  MSI P67A-GD65 B3 motherboard  |  Gainward GeForce GTS 450 1GB PhysX CUDA  |  RME HDSPe AIO  |  UAD-2 QUAD
    CoteRotie
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 02:27:18 (permalink)
    LpMike75

I didn't even try the presets, I just adjusted each section by ear.   I think it sounded really good, with just a few minutes of tweaking I got results better than I could get with Voxengo's Voxformer on a vocal track.  I did note some of the GUI bugs that people reported here, but I'll bet the upcoming patch ( or the one after) fixes those. 

John

Wait, wait, what key is it in? 

GA-X58A-UD3 motherboard
    Intel i7 950 CPU w/12 G RAM
    ATI Radeon 4350 graphics
    3 cats 1 crazydog
    Lynx AES16/Aurora 8
    SCA N72 J99 & A12 pres. Adam A7 Monitors
    Win 10  
    SONAR Platinum 64 bit 
    bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 04:24:41 (permalink)
    Just toyed w/ it on some vocals.  Sounded very crisp and warm to my ears.  Will test it on some instruments and drums later.  Interface will take some getting used to but that's to be expected. 

The impression I got is that, like many tools, Pro Channel is very capable of achieving very professional, high end results if you know what you are doing.  And that is pretty much all I was looking for.  So I'm pleased with it.  Definitely have a feeling this will help me cut down my 3rd party plugin usage.
    Freddie H
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 04:30:59 (permalink)
    Freddie H

But there are some graphic problems, bugs going on.

Compressor meter doesn't work and mouse-pointer disappear right click in the console view? Bug!
    The ICONS of the "TUBE saturation"- icons doesn't get light up in use? Bug!

Also, if you change the EQ settings in the track-view INSPECTOR, the graphic of the console view EQ Graff doesn't get changes in real time. BUG!

The EQ Graff doesn't get updated in console of the same track until you select the CONSOLE view again on the second monitor.  I use two screens. The first monitor "Track-view". the second monitor floating CONSOLE-view.

SOLVED or I have found out WHY it doesn't work!

It work perfect with AUDIO tracks but not with VST:s- Its because it need realtime streaming to work. The meters doen't work if you don't hit PLAY and playback SONAR X1.

If you realtime playback the project all meters of Compressors and icons of "TUBE saturation"-  lights up even on VST instruments. Cakewalk, please adress these problems ASAP.

Regards
    Freddie

-Highly developed spirits often encounter resistance from mediocre minds. -It really matters!
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk]
    • Total Posts : 2084
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 04:43:40 (permalink)
    Freddie, please see your other thread about this issue. This bug has been fixed and will be a part of the X1a update which is due out in the next few weeks.

As for the topic at hand, we're all delighted to hear that you're liking the sound of the ProChannel so far. It's very gratifying to get such positive feedback.
    post edited by Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk] - 2010/12/09 04:45:10
    Freddie H
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 04:55:20 (permalink)
    Seth Perlstein [Cakewalk
    ]

Freddie, please see your other thread about this issue. This bug has been fixed and will be a part of the X1a update which is due out in the next few weeks.

As for the topic at hand, we're all delighted to hear that you're liking the sound of the ProChannel so far. It's very gratifying to get such positive feedback.

Thanks, and that are great news Seth!
    I'm just trying to help out others that wounder on same problems...

benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 05:21:28 (permalink)
    You are probably already aware of this, but the Cake website now has several audio examples of the Pro Channel in action:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Producer/Details.aspx/ProChannel

My DAW: Intel i5, Cakewalk UA-1G, Win7 64 bit, SONAR X1a Producer 64 bit
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:How does PRO CHANNEL sound??? 2010/12/09 05:27:25 (permalink)
    bladetragic

Just toyed w/ it on some vocals.  Sounded very crisp and warm to my ears.  Will test it on some instruments and drums later.  Interface will take some getting used to but that's to be expected. 

The impression I got is that, like many tools, Pro Channel is very capable of achieving very professional, high end results if you know what you are doing.  And that is pretty much all I was looking for.  So I'm pleased with it.  Definitely have a feeling this will help me cut down my 3rd party plugin usage.

That's very encouraging :) and if being able to cut back on third-party plugins, the P/Chn would be worth the upgrade alone.

Question;
    What's the CPU hit like when using multiple (8 to 16) instances of Pro Channel?

-

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1