feedback needed OT

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
sandman5000
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 882
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:26:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

ORIGINAL: sandman5000

I wonder if you have considered that by the rules you have cited above almost every link to a SoundClick page on this forum is in violation of the TOS.

I am evidently in the company of hundreds of dishonest people... if I were to extend your valid reasoning to that subject.

best regards,
mike

look my friend, I'm not gonna argue with you. Of course the soundclick links do not compare at all.

99 cents a pop!

So now you want to bend the rules!

That's just not right! ;-)

what's your point? that you compare apples to oranges?

If someone STARTED a thread here, in the SONAR forum, asking for feedback and links to soundclick, the thread would be moved and someone would chime in (just like i have) to say, "this is a SONAR forum, please put songs in the song forum". So what's your point? to mock me for (what you consider) me making something out of nothing? fine. have fun. :)

Alright. Take care and no hard feelings.
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:28:20 (permalink)
Whatever. This is a troll thread, just like you said in the very first sentence of this thread. But hey, since I'm not the police, feel free to disrespect Cakewalk and the people that come to the Sonar forum to discuss Sonar.

A troll, you got to be kidding. All the advice Scott, and Jim have given on this forum. They deserve to given a little slack.

If you feel that strongly about it them you should block Scott and never read his posts.

Ed
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:31:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jcschild

ORIGINAL: jcschild

advertising? please i am looking for feed back did you not read the post? do you ever see a link to my site or in my sig otherwise?

thanks for being the forum police.

BTW-there really are way better places for this type of feedback.

really? i posted this here due to this being the most friendly and civil forum, guess i was wrong on that account.
also due to the repsect i have here as people KNOW i dont ever spam. i dont need to, my clients brag on me enough in here already.

i also expected a decent amount as well as a wide variety of feeedback from differing POV.

i needed feedback from the actual people who would view my site, not a code writter i can write code.

yes, really. Advertising is advertising. A dynamic web page is a dynamic web page. if that is your goal, there ARE WAY BETTER places than here.

But your other point is interesting. Basically, if you need something (feedback), then it's ok to disrespect Cakewalk and the Sonar community (admittedly not everyone in the community ).

But at least you put an OT in the title. So that's something.

Good day, and no hard feelings.
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:35:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: InstrEd

Whatever. This is a troll thread, just like you said in the very first sentence of this thread. But hey, since I'm not the police, feel free to disrespect Cakewalk and the people that come to the Sonar forum to discuss Sonar.

A troll, you got to be kidding. All the advice Scott, and Jim have given on this forum. They deserve to given a little slack.

If you feel that strongly about it them you should block Scott and never read his posts.

Ed

uhmm, or you could look at at is as all the business they've gleamed from here would instill a little more respect for Cakewalk and the community. But hey, it's not my forum. I just come here to read about da SONAR.

carry on, carry on. The topic has OT in the title now and at least people know that if they click on this, it's not about SONAR.
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:38:24 (permalink)

what's your point?

I can not accept your "apples to oranges" observation... because I believe it is you who are not being consistent.

My point is that many people have SoundClick links in their signature. Links which appear in every post in every topic area. Heck, if we don't have a SoundClick link we are often accused of being posers and wannabe recordists. I think those types of comments have been directed at me on occasions. :-)

That seems to me, by a strict reading of the TOS quote you provided, a violation of the TOS. A violation I happily disregard to get easy access to all the great music people are making.

My point is... tolerance, and often times rule bending, is a wonderful thing.

best regards,
mike

The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:43:24 (permalink)
FWIW,

I think Scott did a very noble thing. He asked his customers for help and feedback with regards to serving us better.

I think that's a whole bunch better than going off to a web authoring or marketing website that's likely to perpetuate concepts that have nothing to do with how sound recordists, musicians, and video professionals think when they are surfing a site.

Scott, thanks for taking the time to ask!

best regards,
mike

sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:45:48 (permalink)

what's your point?

I can not accept your "apples to oranges" observation... because I believe it is you who are not being consistent.

My point is that many people have SoundClick links in their signature. Links which appear in every post in every topic area. Heck, if we don't have a SoundClick link we are often accused of being posers and wannabe recordists. I think those types of comments have been directed at me on occasions. :-)

That seems to me, by a strict reading of the TOS quote you provided, a violation of the TOS. A violation I happily disregard to get easy access to all the great music people are making.

My point is... tolerance, and often times rule bending, is a wonderful thing.

best regards,
mike

ok, this is getting stupid, no offense. STARTING A THREAD in the sonar forum asking for feedback about your song or a web site is OT and would (and has!) elicit the same response.

Linking to your web site or soundclick or whatever, in your sig, while technically [perhaps] a violation of the TOS, is obviously tolerated by Cakewalk and the community. But (again), STARTING A THREAD in the SONAR forum that is not about SONAR gets moved to the appropriate place. Try it. Start a thread asking for song feedback in the Sonar forum.

The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:48:01 (permalink)
Hey, I didn't bring up the TOS and let the stupid rush in. You need to polish your debating skills. :-)

best regards,
mike

sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:48:49 (permalink)

Scott, thanks for taking the time to ask!

best regards,
mike

yes, thanks for having us help you make more money.

on second thought, on behalf of those that did provide feedback, YOU are welcome.

ok, I'm out of here. Take care and have fun.
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:52:08 (permalink)

Hey, I didn't bring up the TOS and let the stupid rush in. You need to polish your debating skills. :-)

best regards,
mike

the TOS still stands. You are making yourself look illogical. And this is starting to get to the point I don't want to get with you or anyone else. So please, lets agree to disagree and keep the good vibe alive.

Toodles!
UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 13:59:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

I don't like how much space is taken up by the makers logos at the bottom, or the massive ADK logo..

I agree but even more importantly, it has sound!

Scott, surely you are aware that many of your customers will have (potentially loud) monitors attached to the their computers. I think that having auto-play sound on a site geared for audio people is always in bad taste.

Also, if I have a heavy project running, the sound doesn't play right it stutters like mad and just sounds horrible. (The sound of the banner that is). And if I have been working on a soft passage or soft sounds and have the volume turned up... it can be VERY loud.

Please reconsider having auto-play sound on your site. IMO it is very unprofessional.

UnderTow

The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 14:12:50 (permalink)
I have misgivings about the sound as well. I have my stinky 56k modem so a visit to the sight literally traps me into hearing the stutter. I guess if I was really smart I would have turned my volume down... but it always catches me by surprise.

Case in point, on my splash page at my site there is sound... available... one would HAVE to turn it up with the control provided in the upper right hand corner. Kinda indecisive I know, but first I had the sound, then I second guessed it and so I added a volume control and set the default to "0". Not elegant, but at the time it seemed better than abandoning the sound altogether.

I wasn't going to say anything because I know the 56k places me as the odd man out... but as long as it's up for discussion I thought I'd add a few thoughts.

best regards,
mike

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 14:14:34 (permalink)
thanks undertow
yeah it bothers me too. i didnt do the flash and i have no idea how to stop the sound.

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
noldar12
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1075
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 15:13:44 (permalink)
+1 regarding the comments about the sound of the banner on the website. It is annoying (and the reason I generally avoid the home page).

Jim
ricstudioc
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 18:07:28 (permalink)

Ed

+10,000 - Scott has done more to help people on this board, and to support SONAR in general, than any single individual I can think of. He's no more a troll than I'm a wookie.

Lighten up, bro - or report him and let the Bakers decide.

Ric
mudgel
  • Total Posts : 12010
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 18:53:54 (permalink)
To Jim - I don't fnd the site that hard to navigate but hate the distorted noise that plays on the opening page.

as far as this thread goes:
There was an occassion a few years ago when I served it up to Jim for what I saw as advertising here but after some more experience on the forum I've changed my view. I think contributors like Scot G. and Jim who are such great supporters of SONAR deserve to be cut some slack. It is only a forum after all.

Not that I think this thread is really advertising even though it may be a little off topic.

If I start a thread and call it running Guitar Rig 3 in SONAR it wont be considered off topic even if what I'm really after is info on running GR3. I couched my title in suuch a way as to get responses and avaoid it getting moved where it wont be seen.

Anywho. The mere fact that after 46 posts this thread is still here shows fairly clearly that the bakers aren't too worried so why should we.

To sandman5000 you've expressed your opinion and are entitled to it. Having done that though, why persist in continuing to justify your position?

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:06:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ricstudioc

Ed

+10,000 - Scott has done more to help people on this board, and to support SONAR in general, than any single individual I can think of. He's no more a troll than I'm a wookie.

Lighten up, bro - or report him and let the Bakers decide.

Even if he helped everyone on this board, it's no excuse to disrespect the wishes of Cakewalk or the forum visitors. Sure not many of you mind. I get that. But it is OT and does not belong here. I think a decent person would not use their contributions as an excuse to flaunt established conventions. I like those conventions. It helps to focus the topics of these forums. It's a good thing and it's why Cakewalk has set it up like this.

But whatever, it's not my forum. Now there is an OT in the title (there wasn't one originally), and that is at least better than nothing.

ORIGINAL: mudgel

To sandman5000 you've expressed your opinion and are entitled to it. Having done that though, why persist in continuing to justify your position?

I actually dropped this a long time ago, as soon as the OT was put in the title. I've just been responding to people, like I'm responding to you now.

So carry on, with my blessing.
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:08:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: noldar12

+1 regarding the comments about the sound of the banner on the website.

+2. But if that's the only think I have to put up with to deal with ADK, I'll do it...

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
AndyW
Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2956
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:09:30 (permalink)

Thank you so much! My life is now complete...

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
vespesian
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:09:45 (permalink)
Back to your webpages....I'd suggest less banner and more product.

You're in an amazing state.

So stay there.

sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:12:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AndyW

Thank you so much! My life is now complete...

That was a joke , BTW. But you are welcome my child.

The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:22:01 (permalink)
Sand, your jokes aren't funny and your repeated implications that someone is indecent is well, indecent... regardless of how sincere your feelings on this subject may be.

I only share this with you in the hopes that maybe someday you'll be more open to the idea that you are behaving badly in this circumstance and perhaps conduct future interactions with more awareness of the negativity you can create with this sort of diatribe.

regards,
mike

jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:28:21 (permalink)
well noted guys about the sound.
the guy who did the flash never gave me the raw files so i dont know how to remove/lower the sound.
its either dump it (the flash) or put up with complaints.... guess i know which way i am leaning.

dump it...

so aside form the very annoying flash...

Scott
ADK
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:31:47 (permalink)

Sand, your jokes aren't funny and your repeated implications that someone is indecent is well, indecent... regardless of how sincere your feelings on this subject may be.

I only share this with you in the hopes that maybe someday you'll be more open to the idea that you are behaving badly in this circumstance and perhaps conduct future interactions with more awareness of the negativity you can create with this sort of diatribe.

regards,
mike

hey, if people put things like this in the appropriate forum, or at least are decent enough to put OT in the title (like there is now), you won't ever hear me complain again. This is not a one sided thing here.

I'm really not trying to be a, well....negative. discuss a retailers web pages in the sonar forum all you want. my bad.....I just got confused when I clicked on the Sonar Producer and Studio forum title....carry on, carry on....
The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:39:29 (permalink)
Scott did my point about the categories versus actual products make any sense?

There's an old axiom to web design that a person can't deal with more than 5 links at once. In modern site design that's virtually impossible to achieve without creating layers and layers of frustrating click thrus.

However, the idea remains sound. That's why top bar menus are ubiquitous... you start with a few categories and then hit the drop downs. If you at least create some emphasis for your three major categories than that will make a good "intersection" for each person to guide their interests around your site.

So I'm suggesting that you take the 4 or 5 computer categories you have and reduce that to "computer systems" (or something sexier sounding) and make more room for your "gear" and "software" categories.

Leave the top bar... because in this day and age that's the best solution to provide easy links to a surfer experienced with your site.

But, also create emphasis elsewhere to reinforce awareness and introduce people to areas of your site they have yet to experience.

FWIW, there are some off-shore flash hacking tools for us reverse engineer types that would allow you to edit the sound out of that flash.

best regards,
mike

The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 19:59:18 (permalink)
Hi Scott,
I just went to grab the header to see if I could yank the sound for you. It seems you've already replaced the .swf with "headernew.jpg".

If you wish, send me the .swf and I'll see if I can open the file. I don't keep those sort of tools current... but this type of situation IS the legitimate reason that they exist. Most of us use these sort of tools for training and learning.

Anyways, ignore if you're already over the flash... like I say I think you could use the real estate for more important stuff but if you like the header I'm happy to attempt the edit.

Oh and BTW this is absolutely a non commercial solicitation.

best regards,
mike

jcschild
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 20:09:45 (permalink)
Mike

you rock!

the idea you have is very much like what i was trying to do with video... (and what b and h does)

i think despite my best efforts the flash will be going. every one but me wants it gone... while this is not a democracy here i tend to get out voted...
beside you and a few others have said its wasted real estate.

thanks everyone for the help

Scott
ADK
The Maillard Reaction
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/23 20:18:14 (permalink)
Hi Scott,
I found the .swf files in my cache and was actually able to decompile them back into .fla documents.

Apparently your flash guy was a rocket scientist because that is the most complicated banner I have ever seen. I think the actual content is being streamed into the .swf file that one would assume they are looking at. That makes for really great security but it also means that it's unlikely I can help.

I'm glad you have decided to exercise other options.

I can send you the .fla files if you wish to have someone else look at them.

all the best,
mike

b3gsus@msn.com
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1293
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 00:37:00 (permalink)
how about a little respect for Cakewalk?
It's obvious that you have not clue as to what Scott & others like Jim @ Studiocat have done to make using Sonar all that much more productive. They've also been a long time Positive Force for many & I can't remember anyone but you that seems to be offended at this point. Perhaps when you pass that 666 post, you'll have a better attitude towards these folks who have worked collectively with the Cakewalk Team to up the Functionallity..... If you take some time & look back at both Scott/ADK & Jim/Studiocat & the Posts they've replied too & offered help & solutions.... I would hope you could see the point I make here.... If you just feel like kickin your Dog or whatever.....It would be more productive than the negativity you seem the need to interject when all that was asked was for the Sonar Members Feedback to better help him to help even you..... Wildman

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
2-Mackie 24/8buss
sandman5000
RE: feedback needed 2008/10/24 01:30:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b3gsus@msn.com

how about a little respect for Cakewalk?
It's obvious that you have not clue as to what Scott & others like Jim @ Studiocat have done to make using Sonar all that much more productive. They've also been a long time Positive Force for many & I can't remember anyone but you that seems to be offended at this point. Perhaps when you pass that 666 post, you'll have a better attitude towards these folks who have worked collectively with the Cakewalk Team to up the Functionallity..... If you take some time & look back at both Scott/ADK & Jim/Studiocat & the Posts they've replied too & offered help & solutions.... I would hope you could see the point I make here.... If you just feel like kickin your Dog or whatever.....It would be more productive than the negativity you seem the need to interject when all that was asked was for the Sonar Members Feedback to better help him to help even you..... Wildman

Ok. I do see your point (and I didn't even need to go all the way to 666 posts). On everything but this:"to better help him to help even you". I don't see how paying a retailer to put together a computer helps me at all. Or giving him feedback about how to better sell his wares. But that's just me. I tend to think for myself and I don't really rely on 'experts' too much. Unless i need to, of course. And computers is not an area that I need help in, personally.

But I'm glad that you all do get a lot of help from them and that they make a profit along the way. So fine. I'm backing off. Be at peace all of you and my bad for causing a mild ruckus.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1