how many of you have perfect pitch?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
IK Obi
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/24 14:48:53 (permalink)
Relative Pitch here. :)
guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/24 19:18:33 (permalink)
kc2ine

there is actually one pretty good course by David Lucas Burge which teaches you how get that skill back to you. 

Yes - I bought it a long time ago - when it was on casettes.  I only did the first one before I gave up.  I could hear the difference between Eb and F# for example - that's what he starts with.  I gave up because of the media though - it was impractical to work on this just with cassettes.  Plus I didn't trust the cassette player motors running perfect, which wouldn't be a good thing.  I see he has this now on CD, but really the best would be downloaded files, or streaming. 

How did you like his course?  Did it teach you perfect pitch?
LpMike75
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1621
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/24 21:59:12 (permalink)
Ok guys, I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag...but here you go.  Now we can all have perfect pitch

http://detrave.net/nblume/perfect-pitch/

- Mike
Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
kc2ine
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 01:09:29 (permalink)
guitartrek

kc2ine

there is actually one pretty good course by David Lucas Burge which teaches you how get that skill back to you. 

Yes - I bought it a long time ago - when it was on casettes.  I only did the first one before I gave up.  I could hear the difference between Eb and F# for example - that's what he starts with.  I gave up because of the media though - it was impractical to work on this just with cassettes.  Plus I didn't trust the cassette player motors running perfect, which wouldn't be a good thing.  I see he has this now on CD, but really the best would be downloaded files, or streaming. 

How did you like his course?  Did it teach you perfect pitch?

I liked the beginning, later on I was a little  disappointed, too much talking with his kinda gay-ish voice :)
But definitely worthy trying because you can actually hear the difference in  Eb and F# right away, then he based everything later on that.
I didn't get PP from this course, just started realizing I actually was hearing in colors since some time but I din't know that.
Color hearing is less precise then PP which require some more training and memory but it works good for me in music. 
It depends on moods swings, health etc. Friends with perfect pitch BTW also saying they can be off sometimes halftone or even more.
We are mot robots aren't we?

V-Studio 100, Sony VAIO i7 2.93GHz/ 8GB RAM, Pianoteq, Sonar X1 Studio, ezDrummer, Macbook Pro, Roland RD700GX stage piano, Yamaha Motif XS6 workstation, Rode NT-1A, AKG Perception 220 
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 08:25:19 (permalink)
I bought that course on DVD several months ago, but I only started the first DVD and then got distracted and haven't been back.  I need to finish the course, I guess.  I don't remember anything about Eb and F# differences, tho, either he changed the course or I just wasn't paying enough attention to begin with!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
IK Obi
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1549
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 11:29:00 (permalink)
@ LpMike75 - Nice find!
Rus W
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 541
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 11:46:10 (permalink)
LpMike75

Ok guys, I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag...but here you go.  Now we can all have perfect pitch

http://detrave.net/nblume/perfect-pitch/

haha! Nice!

Seriously, isn't that relative pitch (intervals) whereas perfect pitch dealt with cents. I think it's misconceived that just because one doesn't say how far off a note is (ie: 10, 100 cents, etc) doesn't mean that he or she can't tell when something is off - doesn't have perfect pitch.

One of the Lysol commercials key is in C#, but a few cents above *440 C#. I remember playing the bass line of a song (by keyboard) and tuning it slightly above A440 to match the lead guitar's "key" (chorus effect applied).

I've heard songs that weren't 440, but could tell the key they were in

* = 440 is used for all keys/notes despite being the incorrect frequency

iBM (Color of Music) MCS (Digital Orchestration)  

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 12:25:46 (permalink)
Rus W

Was thinking about that stuff during a break yesterday. I thought about my "A" trick and realized that it was kind of redundant - I can hum my E-A-D-G-B-E anywhere anytime even if I haven't touched a guitar in days.
Based on that I hummed my C major arp. and verified - I was a few cents below. 

I guess I could burn a full reference scale in my memory as well and use it as a grid to call out the notes I hear. This sort of thing might eventually become sort of a reflex with practice. But I never really cared for that stuff.

I never worried too much about naming notes that I heard, but, in other contexts, when needed, I can learn a song just by hearing it or sometimes just by remembering it - w/o an instrument or any external reference, I just recognize the chords and the key. I'm not talking about complex riffs, but chord progressions, yeah, sure. I thought every musician did that. 
post edited by Rain - 2011/08/25 12:29:41

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 12:49:58 (permalink)
Rain

Rus W

Was thinking about that stuff during a break yesterday. I thought about my "A" trick and realized that it was kind of redundant - I can hum my E-A-D-G-B-E anywhere anytime even if I haven't touched a guitar in days.
Based on that I hummed my C major arp. and verified - I was a few cents below. 

I guess I could burn a full reference scale in my memory as well and use it as a grid to call out the notes I hear. This sort of thing might eventually become sort of a reflex with practice. But I never really cared for that stuff.

I never worried too much about naming notes that I heard, but, in other contexts, when needed, I can learn a song just by hearing it or sometimes just by remembering it - w/o external reference, I just recognize the chords and the key. I'm not talking about complex riffs, but chord progressions, yeah, sure. I thought every musician did that. 

I can't give a definite on that, but even I can hum non-440 tunes and be spot-on (I forgot to add that)

I think what it is with most musicians is that the instruments played are 440 which conflicts with what's heard non-440. This commonly occurs when playing with a recording that is sped up (or slowed down) to give the appearance of the key sounding higher (lower) than what you're playing. Changing the tempo of the audio file is different than tuning, but you can see where the mishap stems from.

If I play a song on the piano in Eb 440, it would sound off somewhat if the recording was playing a little faster (not tempo-wise) Obviously, this can be rectified with tuning forks (button on a keyboard); however, you are still physically playing in that 440 key. The song I had to match was in C# 440 though a few cents higher when heard, but I was still playing in C# 440.

The song's in Bb, but due to the speed, I must play in 440 B (piano) to match it.

"The Amateur works until he (or she) gets it right. The professional works until he (or she) can't get it wrong." - Julie Andrews

Beagle
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:14:16 (permalink)
Rus - I'm really confused what you're describing here.  are you talking about C# = 440Hz instead of A? 

and what do you mean by this:  * = 440 is used for all keys/notes despite being the incorrect frequency
if A=440 is not the correct frequency then what is the correct frequency and why?

Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:24:54 (permalink)
Beagle

Rus - I'm really confused what you're describing here.  are you talking about C# = 440Hz instead of A? 

and what do you mean by this:  * = 440 is used for all keys/notes despite being the incorrect frequency
if A=440 is not the correct frequency then what is the correct frequency and why?

I meant for my example when having to tune my keyboard to the chorused guitar.

I want to put a stamped frequency across all the notes so I wouldn't have to look up the actual frequencies. Every note above or below A is not 440 hertz.

We did exercises in Theory such as:

If middle C# is 256, what is the frequency two octaves above that? That would be 1024hz! My example is taken from such an exercise. I have seen the formula for determining the frequencies of notes in-between the first and twelfth; however, that was unnecessary for my example.

I apologize for confusing you.

Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:24:57 (permalink)
Deleted post - i was going to guess what Rus meant, but Rus actually answered first.  I'd believe him over me...
post edited by Slugbaby - 2011/08/25 16:26:16

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:30:29 (permalink)
Yeah, Slug! However, I hope one doesn't confuse tuning with transposition. Those are two different things. (Not saying you did, but it would be easy to confuse the two)

Beagle
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:38:32 (permalink)
Rus W

Beagle

I want to put a stamped frequency across all the notes so I wouldn't have to look up the actual frequencies. Every note above or below A is not 440 hertz.

If middle C# is 256, what is the frequency two octaves above that? That would be 1024hz! My example is taken from such an exercise. I have seen the formula for determining the frequencies of notes in-between the first and twelfth; however, that was unnecessary for my example.

AH!  ok.  sorry.  it's tough to understand each other in forums sometimes.  especially if one is having a senior moment...

Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:43:17 (permalink)
Beagle

Rus W

Beagle

AH!  ok.  sorry.  it's tough to understand each other in forums sometimes.  especially if one is having a senior moment...

That's all right! It's been awhile since I've been on here anyway. (Been busy arranging music. See my thread in the Songs section)

Beagle
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:50:22 (permalink)
will do!  WB!

Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/25 16:52:32 (permalink)
^ Thank you, Beagle!!

mcourter
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3442
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/26 18:23:26 (permalink)
You know, when I was about thirteen, I had perfect pitch for one day. Yep, my curve ball was working. I threw 6 innings of one-hit ball before the coach took me out. Normally I was pretty mediocre as a pitcher, but I was mowing down that summer day, the one day I had a perfect pitch.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
Unbridled Enthusiasm
 My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
Rus W
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/08/26 18:31:54 (permalink)
^ The baseball jokes are getting old fast. lol 

The car salesperson threw a grandslam pitch. I swung, without realizing I struck out!

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/04 17:19:19 (permalink)
I can have perfect pitch. That does not mean that if I leave music go that it will not go off. There is listening and knowing that like anything, practice makes perfect. Now, since I am doing music somewhat again, I can tell the difference once again, but for awhile my hearing was almost a half-tone pitch down. Sometimes this has to do with people who do it on purpose in a video or on a CD (like Jimi Hendrix supposedly did tuning his guitar - people who play at 432 Hz instead of 440Hz and anything like that).

I suppose it was different when I was younger but really only realized being in high-school. And yes, it use to drive me sort of crazy in the sense that other people expect you to do more since you can do that, while they have more a relative pitch for finding out notes and key signatures. I ignore them now. Perhaps some people can not tune their hearing to get good enough to do that, but afterall, it is a practice and if not used can deteriorate.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/04 17:24:36 (permalink)
The reason perfect pitch seems perfect is because the person perhaps can focus better at exactly the frequency than other people can. I can focus better on the frequency that is for sure. Then I guess you can say that I have perfect pitch hearing.
I can carry that along in a hearing memory and not lose it and to me it is like riding a bicycle. You may not have done it for years, but once you get doing it again, you remember what it was after learning it initially.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/04 17:27:37 (permalink)
And then there are the people who want to prove and be adverse about anyone having perfect pitch and try and fool the other people. Yes, I do think there are greater and lesser degrees of differences also in having perfect pitch hearing also, just like there are better skilled people in some jobs then others in the same job. Take guitar playing for instance, not everyone is going to be Eric Clapton, nor would some want to be.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/04 17:30:57 (permalink)
That also means that being in practice again, that I can tune a guitar without using a keyboard and be right on without having tuning modules or anything else except my head and hearing. That does not mean that I probably won't check with a keyboard either.

I can play both.

guitartrek
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2842
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/04 18:09:29 (permalink)
spacealf - can you do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzSZGX5gx_8

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/05 01:10:36 (permalink)
Yes, but I found out that my pitch is still off and flat, since I do not use it all the time anymore and am much older. But yes, I think when you are young and around music more, it is easier, but at the time I was young, it was not any big deal so it was not (as far as I remember) talked about. You see I had an older brother and I have an older sister. They played the music, but at the time I was playing drums. I might have been learning music, but supposedly when I was three, I sang "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" at the time. Heck if I remember it. And now I am retired early since a heart attack and I find that I can be off, but once in tune, then I can do the same thing.
But it was hard to hear the child doing it, because the video had the piano too loud, and since it showed the keyboard on the piano at times, I could tell right away what note or chord it was. I will have to assume that the child was correct in what he was saying, but I could not hear him all the time, and that is what I was focusing on in the video.

Like anything else, I think age plays its part in that also. I think it would be more acute when the person is a child or young, but after awhile a sometime perhaps in the 40's or so, it may get harder to do that.

Of course, I always wanted to hear how other people hear the music, as everything to me, was always what notes were being played even if I did not want to hear it that way, and wanted to hear not that good, but the flow and ebb of the music perhaps better, or whatever it is that other people (with not a real bad ear) hear.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/05 01:13:15 (permalink)
Probably not real fast or that fast nowadays, and some is I already know a lot of songs and already know what key they are in.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/05 01:16:19 (permalink)
Well, I will put it this way. Other musicians (or ones I have known) have to find the note on the fret or keyboard first, then if they know anything about music, usually know what key it is in, especially for rock music since most of that was 3 chord or 4 chord patterns, and the usual 1-4-5 chord pattern. I just go right to the chord on the guitar or keyboard without finding what it is first.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/05 05:53:48 (permalink)
I will also say this much. I don't think that I want perfect pitch hearing anymore that much. Maybe a little. I will tell you why. When I was younger ( then for a long  time later when getting older I did not even listen to music anymore at all for a long time) every song played on the radio or heard a few times I could play in my head sounding the exact same way it was recorded. Did not need a stereo, CD player or anything else to hear it if I wanted to play it in my head. And why? Because I think it makes a musician less creative. Everything I ever hear was in a song that was popular (rock) or had been played by being popular.

And then I read something that really made sense. If you want to create a song (and be different) make mistakes. If you make mistakes and take that in a song and listen to it, and use it in a different way, you will create a different song. Maybe it is just me, but I could not do that while listening to all the other music over the years. I listened when young for a long time to all the different songs, and then I did not listen to music at all for a long time. Other people may think that is weird or something because they equate music by a feeling or a mood the song gives them. I heard notes and what they were all the time. Nothing else it seemed. To cerebral perhaps then in the end. I can not fully escape it, so I think it adds nothing at least for me when listening to music anytime. Is that really enjoyment of music then? Not to me, and anyway, perhaps I won't listen that acutely anymore, since I already know even in the Songs forum what is being played already when listening to any new music. What then I guess has to be done is learning a way to kind of tune it out, which is not easy to do, and perhaps more difficult then not having it in the first place. That is a problem, since I can not turn it off and on. That is the only way to have it, at least in my opinion.
I'm tired, hopes some of it makes sense. It time to sleep, and although song memory fades after awhile, I still can bring at least a partial song into my song exactly how I heard it many, many years ago.
There is a degree there though on the difficulty of the music played also. I will quit with John Williams, E.T. the extratrerrestrial music playing in my head. It's time to think no music in the head, which takes a conscious effort but is easier for me to do now.

spacealf
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/05 06:04:56 (permalink)
I'll put it this way. Ever hear of the song "Proud Mary" by Creedence Clearwater". I was on a forum where fortunately they play all different music, I know nothing about, since I don't listen to popular songs or whatever nowadays (or hear it played on the radio around where I live anyway). I bought up the song saying how I was surprised that no one had put that video up from youtube since at the time always it seemed that someone wanted to hear that song, and frankly I was sick of it. Well, someone put it up, just to make a joke (who was younger also) and I said "Oh, thank you" being sarcastic kind of. You know it is an old song, but some old songs don't even have as many times of listening to it that (and there are quite a few versions of the same song up there) this song has. Where some old songs may make it to perhaps say a few million, that song has been listened to over 5 million times just on the one version alone. There are the other versions of the same song with not so many hits to it.

I am out of here. It just surprised me, that some people still like that song that much. Makes me about sick though.

Metaphasic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 262
Re:how many of you have perfect pitch? 2011/09/08 10:51:23 (permalink)
I'm quote tone deaf, and very nearly deaf outright.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1