Helpful Replyhumble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle

Author
Fog
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12302
2018/12/26 22:10:58 (permalink)

humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle

someone was on about photo software the other day..

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/professional-photography-software?

works out cheaper than me upgrading.. so much for customer loyalty
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/26 23:42:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2018/12/27 17:59:44
Fog

someone was on about photo software the other day..

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/professional-photography-software?

works out cheaper than me upgrading.. so much for customer loyalty

Just a warning the ACDSee Photo Studio Ultimate 2018 is a one year liscence when you get your key, not a Perpetual one like the MSRP would indicate.  Considering that is the product that is the most valuable one to your average user, thought I'd point that out since it doesn't tell you until you have already paid.
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 02:33:45 (permalink)
I've moved completely to Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher and not looked back at anything. Plus there is more coming. Fantastic programs. They too are having a 20% off holiday sale right now. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/
Brian Walton
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 02:48:43 (permalink)
TerraSin
I've moved completely to Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher and not looked back at anything. Plus there is more coming. Fantastic programs. They too are having a 20% off holiday sale right now. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/store/

Same here generally speaking.

However the RAW processing of Photo isn't the best on the market.  I use Capture One Pro for that.  This bundle only has value for some esoteric stuff, the HDR program (yes Affinity can do it), but not necessarily the absoltue best on that front.  

I thought a couple of these programs would be fun to try out, such as Camera Bag for LUT creation, and Aurora HDR for HDR processing.  For general photo editing, I'm all over the Affinity Package and love supporting them.  
post edited by Brian Walton - 2018/12/27 03:35:19
iScream
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 13:12:25 (permalink)
Used CameraBag Photo a lot and I love it. Simple and easy to use interface and a lot of functional for this price. Also I recommend to check their other stuff (like Pixelmash) because they make really innovative soft 
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 18:06:10 (permalink)
Brian Walton
However the RAW processing of Photo isn't the best on the market.  I use Capture One Pro for that.

I briefly tried that out and might look into it again (though Affinity is currently also working on a Lightroom/Capture One competitor of their own so hopefully they work on the RAW processing as well). Is it worth getting one of the packages and what is their release rate like? Better to go subscription or buy outright?
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 18:29:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the useful information guys.

I have just bought Affinity in their Xmas sale and it seems to do a lot for the money. I'm still learning it but so far it seems to be logically laid out. I also have LightRoom 6 but it's the standalone version as I am not keen on the Adobe subscription model so I will be interested to see how Affinity compares for handling RAW. Will also be interested in their standalone competitor.

ZincT

Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.11 Bld 31, Windows 10 Home 1803, Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz, Gigabyte Z77 HD3 mobo, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti Fanless, Steinberg UR242 Audio Interface (F/W 1.01), Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.3
Latest music: Click Here
Brian Walton
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/27 19:24:58 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
Thanks for the useful information guys.

I have just bought Affinity in their Xmas sale and it seems to do a lot for the money. I'm still learning it but so far it seems to be logically laid out. I also have LightRoom 6 but it's the standalone version as I am not keen on the Adobe subscription model so I will be interested to see how Affinity compares for handling RAW. Will also be interested in their standalone competitor.

Affinity rolled out a Beta that overhauls the RAW processsing (1.7) but it still isn't even on the level of Lightroom 6 (and certianly not Capture One - which is the best I've found).  Therefore I wouldn't expect them to do anything earth shattering in the near future on that front.  It is good enough for your average user, but if you get serious about RAW processing, programs like C1 are just much more refined and capable.  

I'd keep on using Lightroom 6 for RAW and output to Affinity for the editing.  Other options are out there, but if you have catalogs already setup in LR6, the RAW processing is still quite good.  

If you have a MAC in addtion to your PC, you could use this for free:   https://www.hasselblad.com/phocus/
(it doesn't have free non-Hasselblad cameras for the PC unfortunatly)  

Brian Walton
Re: humble bundle paintshop pro etc . bundle 2018/12/29 22:11:25 (permalink)
TerraSin
Brian Walton
However the RAW processing of Photo isn't the best on the market.  I use Capture One Pro for that.

I briefly tried that out and might look into it again (though Affinity is currently also working on a Lightroom/Capture One competitor of their own so hopefully they work on the RAW processing as well). Is it worth getting one of the packages and what is their release rate like? Better to go subscription or buy outright?

Do you have a link to the info on the upcoming Affinity/RAW product?  I was hoping for/assuming they might be working on that when they asked for Sample RAW images, but then when they released the Photo Beta with an overhauled RAW engine, I thought, well maybe that is what it was for.

Capture One is a Once of Year major update/release.  They do have minor versions but usually are not releasing anything substantial until the next year.

They just released 12.  Even if you did a trial on 11, I believe (could be mistaken) that they will let you test drive 12 for 30 days also.  

As for is it better to go subscription or full version.  This one is tricky since they are both pretty expensive (IMO), unless you only have a Sony camera.  They added Layers in 11 and honestly that was the big update that made it an even bigger product, they also raised the rate at that time.  I have 11 and don't feel like 12 has game changing things that I would need to upgrade to.  However, usually they only give upgrade pricing for 2 versions.  So I think the typical upgrade path for a lot of people is buy one version then skip before another upgrade.  

I don't like subscriptions so paying $180 a year for one is a bit tough to imagine.  I'm someone that could easily live with version 11 for a number of years.  The only question of needing an upgrade to me would be buying a Camera in the future that isn't compatible with an old version.  I bought a couple cameras last year and don't expect to upgrade for a few more years.  If they let you upgrade say 4-5 versions down the road when you have a perpetual license it would be pretty easy for me personally to answer.  But with the upgrade path being limited, there are more factors involved that you might have to think through depending on your situation.  

I have not bought any of the "style" packages but I have search for and downloaded a few.  I can't see myself paying that much for them, though with the right source and the right style they can be useful as a starting point, especially since you can tweak from there non-destructively.  I believe version 12 lets you add the styles as a layer so you can adjust the opacity of them.  

Wish it wasn't so expensive, but also haven't found anything better.   
Jump to:
© 2021 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1