Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2018/10/27 01:50:24 (permalink)

iLok Pace

What the consensus nowadays?
Many were anti it a while back, and I've seen posts in the pst with iLok woes after updates. I once installed something with it, and though Ican't remember, something didn't feel right and I uninstalled immediately.

I just went to Demo a free VST and iLok PACE jumped up during the install, so I aborted. Not sure why a free program needs and iLok accound and was expecting that to apply to it's ad ons.

Is it now more accepted than before? Can you unistall it and clear it from your system 100%? (I believe you couldn't in the past).

Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 01:54:47 (permalink)
UVI Workstation is completely free, however certain sound libraries utilized within UVI Workstation may require that you have an iLok account for licensing.

All UVI licenses allow up to 3 concurrent activations on any combination of computer hard drives or iLok USB
keys, easily managed through the iLok License Manager (ILok account required).

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 02:07:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2018/10/27 03:08:31
Of course YMMV but I haven't had a Pace issue in years (over 5 maybe 10?) and never with Win7 or Win10.
In regards to iLok - I use to be a hater but my perspective changed after a run of hardware issues a couple of years ago where I had to reinstall Windows 7 4 or more times within 6 months.  My iLok plugins were no issue easy peasy but with the others I had to pray that I could get the old system up one more time to run an uninstall on something I missed the previous 'final run', look up serials numbers, do challenge & response, contact vendors explaining why I needed yet another unlock, etc. I literally would have saved days of time if ALL my plugins were iLok.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 03:12:34 (permalink)
Still interested in replies, but just discovered that UVI Drum Designer is intended to Midi Sync, but be triggered with midi notes. Seems a workaround on what should be a fundamental ability. Aslo they dn't intend to add CTRL Z undos to the drum sequencer.

Pretty disappointed in UVI response to user feedback on a brand new product.

TheSteven
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 05:13:39 (permalink)
>What the consensus nowadays?
>Is it now more accepted than before?
That's like asking which political party is better. Strong opinions abound.
Some people hate'm, some people love'm, a lot of people use it regardless.

>Can you uninstall it and clear it from your system 100%? (I believe you couldn't in the past).
100% - don't know.  A lot of stuff leaves pieces behind when uninstalled - ini files, registry settings, sometimes drivers. a better question is whether or not if you have an issue whether uninstalling will remove the problem.
Years back it didn't. I had a problem on my XP machine, when XP was still fairly new and shiney, where I had an issue with Pace and it was a major pain to clean up things afterwards and fix the issues it caused.

Nowadays they don't have to hide things the way they use to because Pace uses the Internet to track your activations.  Your iLok account (using the iLok License Manager) keeps track of your activations and where you activate it to (i.e. the iLok dongle or to your hard drive).

So if you install something to your HD and don't want it to count against your installation count when you remove it then you will need to uninstall it using iLok License Manager 1st before you uninstall the software.  Otherwise you have to go to the vendor and request that they free up an activation.  Eventide is pretty good about this - I lost activations to 2 different plugins when my hard disk went down and they promptly restored them; but according to Pace it's up to the vendor as to how they respond.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

My Tunes
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 05:21:28 (permalink)
Thanks, Although I have now gone off the idea of UVI's Drum Designer, Soudoys Crystalliser was recently on sale and and I held off. I'm kind of regretting that. Maybe I won't be put off next time.

TheSteven
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 05:26:53 (permalink)
>I just went to Demo a free VST and iLok PACE jumped up during the install, so I aborted. Not sure why a free program needs and iLok account

Because PACE lets the plugin creator/vendor
* create a demo version and time limit it without throwing a lot of extra code into the plugin.
* extend the demo time period or reactivate the demo if they wish
* prevent you the evil dishonest end user from uninstalling the plugin and then reinstalling it to get the plugin to run in demo mode again for another 30 days (or what ever the demo period is set for).

So for the plugin creator lots of good reasons to use Pace/iLok for their demos.

My Tunes
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 06:21:04 (permalink)
It's not a demo product though, it's a free product I was demoing. It's the add on libraries that required the iLok, so I expected the iLok to come with them.

marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 07:56:00 (permalink)
TheSteven
Of course YMMV but I haven't had a Pace issue in years (over 5 maybe 10?) and never with Win7 or Win10.
In regards to iLok - I use to be a hater but my perspective changed after a run of hardware issues a couple of years ago where I had to reinstall Windows 7 4 or more times within 6 months.  My iLok plugins were no issue easy peasy but with the others I had to pray that I could get the old system up one more time to run an uninstall on something I missed the previous 'final run', look up serials numbers, do challenge & response, contact vendors explaining why I needed yet another unlock, etc. I literally would have saved days of time if ALL my plugins were iLok.

+1
Same experience here (had been also a hater)! The only products that are as easy to handle as iLok plugins are free plugins or those ones with an autorisation text file.

... many years before ...
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:04:10 (permalink)
I've used ilok for about 6-7 years and I've found it to be a total breeze. I've only ever had one problem and that was resolved in about 5 minutes.  Like TheSteven, I upgraded my computer a few years ago and all my ilok stuff was up and running super fast: download the software, pop in the dongle, make music.

I'm not sure, but I think much if the hating comes from years back when ilok was in its infancy and fairly buggy. 

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:15:53 (permalink)
Last time I installed a new DAW - to replace my stolen computer - I had to re-authorize a lot of stuff. As I was going through that I was thinking that iLok might have simplified the process.

However, it then occurred to me that the thieves would have also taken my iLok dongle, along with my backup drive. I would have had to not only re-authorize everything but also buy a new dongle.

As a software engineer, I am philosophically opposed to any scheme that breaks software by default, allowing it to work only after a very specific set of criteria are met. Such a design is doomed to be fundamentally unreliable, as Pace's colorful history has proven. 

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Cookie Jarvis
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:20:59 (permalink)
I still have my first generation iLok which stops me from buying certain products...I bought the iLok to run Waves for the most part and it works great but I'm not buying another one(iLok2...and now iLok3)...they are built to store my licenses, shouldn't have to keep buying them.

Now with that said my iLok makes software installs, transfers, etc. easy peasy!

Bill

If I had a hammer....I'd be dangerous ;)

http://www.reverbnation.com/daylight
marled
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:36:39 (permalink)
bitflipper
As a software engineer, I am philosophically opposed to any scheme that breaks software by default, allowing it to work only after a very specific set of criteria are met. Such a design is doomed to be fundamentally unreliable, as Pace's colorful history has proven. 

Also software engineer here and I totally agree to your first sentence!
But if I compare iLok with all kind of online autorisations and cloud solutions, then I am convinced that iLok is ahead! They are much more unreliable, because they have even more triping hazards.

Marc

retired_account
  • Total Posts : 262
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:40:00 (permalink)
Cookie Jarvis
I still have my first generation iLok which stops me from buying certain products...I bought the iLok to run Waves for the most part and it works great but I'm not buying another one(iLok2...and now iLok3)...they are built to store my licenses, shouldn't have to keep buying them.

Now with that said my iLok makes software installs, transfers, etc. easy peasy!

Bill

Same, still have iLok 1 that works & it's the only one I've had to purchase. I got two other iLok 2's free from Slate purchases in 2013 & I'm still using the first one I connected 5 years ago, second one is a spare.

Now that iLok Cloud Sessions are becoming more available I might not need to use any dongle at all.
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:43:33 (permalink)
Thanks for the input. It's the per machine iLok that affects me My laptops don't have the spare USB ports, and I don't see the point in a hub when I can do the per machine option.

I guess this is really no different than my XLN installer/waves/NI intallers checking for authorisation, except that's all it does

BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 15:58:48 (permalink)
I had been a hater but tried the  "use your computer"  deal and it has been no problem for me. Getting everything to work with Waves has been a different problem. I understand, and respect the truth Bit Flipper shared. But, I have not had 1 problem with iLoc and Windows 10. I think the problem was the old iLoc 1 a lot of the time. Native Instruments has been good since getting it on a hard drive. Toontrack has never been a problem with their Product Manager. IK has been pretty good too.
This stuff should be no more difficult than click on a few things and come back later when it's done. Not there yet but some are pretty close.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/27 23:14:15 (permalink)
TheSteven

This is my experience too. I much prefer physical iLok plugins nowadays. Maybe one downside is the companies have to pay to be on the ilok system so the cost of their vsts might go up a bit.

ilok 1 got hacked and at one point so did ilok2 if I recall correctly. I think the negative connotations about ilok come from a small number of gearslutz malcontents who for whatever reason are quite zealous about their disdain for PACE. But reading through the boards there and here you can see probably 19/20 have only had good ilok experience.

One thing I do hate: there are three different dongle brands-- you've got iLok, overloud, waves hofa et al use a usb stick system, and codemeter make a dongle that MAAT and propellerheads use! Annoying :)

Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 00:53:56 (permalink)
My Waves and Overloud isn't on iLok. Or is that just optional?

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 10:00:19 (permalink)
marled
bitflipper

Also software engineer here and I totally agree to your first sentence!
But if I compare iLok with all kind of online autorisations and cloud solutions, then I am convinced that iLok is ahead! They are much more unreliable, because they have even more triping hazards.

Marc

Yet another software engineer here... and I tend to agree with Marc here. 

I've never had any reliability problems with iLok. Doing a system re-install is a breeze for my iLok enabled plugins, none of this searching around for serial numbers, or fighting with online authorisation. You also avoid the nonsense of having to re-authorise after doing a Windows update, or changing your hardware configuration. 

I've only two complaints about the iLok:

1. The iLok dongle is too big for constant use with a laptop. This limits me to plugins that don't require a hardware iLok, or have cloud support. My 2 desktop PC's are unaffected by this.

2. The number of authorisations available. Some vendors allow 3, most allow 2, and some only 1 (McDSP / Antares !!!). I really object to having to buy something twice (or 3 times in the case of McDSP) when everything is already locked to the same user account. I'm assuming developers have to pay PACE for the various options (i.e. hardware iLok required or not, number of authorisations, cloud support etc), but limiting licenses to 1 machine per purchase is pretty bad, considering the price of the plugins.

In saying that, the Waves authorisation is just as good/bad for the same reasons. Waves has one advantage at least, in that you can at least unauthorise without that PC being switched on.

Mark McLeod
Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 13:42:23 (permalink)
Hi. I have an iLok2 that I've had for years, without any issues.
If I could authorize all my plugins to Ilok, I would.
It's (IMO) very easy to get back up and running after doing a fresh install on my studio pc, which I do almost yearly.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 15:23:46 (permalink)
I that the dongle or the per machine PACE Zargg?

southpaw3473
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 782
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 16:14:37 (permalink)
Zargg
Hi. I have an iLok2 that I've had for years, without any issues.
If I could authorize all my plugins to Ilok, I would.
It's (IMO) very easy to get back up and running after doing a fresh install on my studio pc, which I do almost yearly.
All the best.

Same here. I've had an iLok 2  for years as well with nary a problem. I can use it between my main rig and the laptop in the other studio, which is very convenient.

We'll not risk another frontal assault-that rabbit's dynamite!!!

Tommy Byrnes
Sonar Platinum
Win 10 Pro x64 AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core 4.00GHz/ ASRock 970 Extreme4/ 16 gigs RAM
UA Apollo Firewire/UA 2 Quad Satellite/ Focusrite OctoPre/Makie Onyx1220i Mixer  
THANK YOU!!!
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 16:16:05 (permalink)
You can move the dongle to any machine you want. Since the dongle must be present, you can install the plugins on as many different machines as you want, and just move the dongle.

That said...

If the dongle doesn't work reliably (like it doesn't on my early 2012 Dell XPS 8500), you're SOL. No help. No fixes. Nada.

My first plugin purchases were Slate's. Dongle only. NEVER worked reliably. Not on Win10. Not even on the Win7 my Dell shipped with. I had real difficulty even getting the licenses off of it and back into the Waves cloud. Jeez, I hate Slate.

However, the PACE software (authorize to PC) works great for me. If a plugin requires the dongle, I pass.

FWIW, I go ALL the way back with PACE. I had two different PC-DOS apps that had dedicated Centronics (printer) port dongles. Bigger than a Zippo lighter. Each wanted to be first in line. I was always unplugging my printer and swapping dongles.

Even though the PACE software licensing works for me, I still hate them.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 16:45:11 (permalink)
TheMaartian
You can move the dongle to any machine you want. Since the dongle must be present, you can install the plugins on as many different machines as you want, and just move the dongle.

Just to be clear, the dongle has to be in the machine after the authorization? Is that right?

With 3 USB ports, PACE is the only option for me. But it seems most aren't bothered by PACE lie they once were 

TheSteven
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 19:27:00 (permalink)
 You have to have the iLok dongle plugged when using the related plugins and that includes when you run Cakewalk's VST scanner.

My Tunes
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 20:22:30 (permalink)
I avoid anything that requires a dongle. Four reasons why.

It takes up a scarce USB port.

The development of the USB system over the last few years has thrown up instances of hardware that would work with a USB 2 port but not USB 3 and now there are issues with some hardware and USB C ports. Which also use a different socket so at the minimum a convertor cable is required.

USB flash drives aren’t especially reliable, and susceptible to physical damage just as much as electronic issues.

Why should I pay not only for the software itself but also to a third party for the ability to use that software?

The on-line ilock management system on the other hand I’ve found to be trouble-free so far. And if the computer gets stolen, or has a total hardware failure, I can easily shift the licences to another computer.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
marled
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/28 21:06:36 (permalink)
I think the problem is basically that there are so many different autorisation systems and if you use a laptop with limited USB ports (e.g. 3), then you exceed very easily the possibilities (mouse, audio interface, iLok, USB stick, ...). Cloud or another autorisation based on permanent online connection is also not a good solution for all (some living rurally do not have reliable internet connections and some do not like the risk to be always online).
So somehow I feel sentimental about the good old days when you purchased a software with an offline key and had no such troubles  (by the way that was not the only thing that was better then ).

Marc

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/29 01:04:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TheMaartian 2018/10/29 14:39:51
tlw
I avoid anything that requires a dongle. Four reasons why...

A fifth: if you drop your laptop with a USB device sticking out of it, there is a good chance it will be broken.

Then again, who has ever dropped a laptop by accident? Certainly couldn't happen if you were doing a live location recording in the vicinity of responsible bar patrons.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Kamikaze
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/29 05:15:30 (permalink)
tlw

The development of the USB system over the last few years has thrown up instances of hardware that would work with a USB 2 port but not USB 3 and now there are issues with some hardware and USB C ports. Which also use a different socket so at the minimum a convertor cable is required.

My latest small work laptop has 3 USBs including a Type C. Was wuite tricky here getting 3 ports on  small laptop, nd somany times in class I'm using all three, with a Type C to a Type A (female) converter. I had to go from shop to shop toget that converter. Lots of Type C to a Type A (male), which Idon't have anything with a female Type A apart from laptops themselves.

For music I have my soundcard on one, and NanoPadon another (trigger finger before, but maybe Launchpad Pro next), so these both draw power. Having just a mouse on the third seems to make sence, anythng else would required a self powered hub I guess.

TheSteven
Re: iLok Pace 2018/10/29 05:37:25 (permalink)
I've got 4 USB ports on my laptop.  2 USB2 and 2 USB3.
I too was fighting USB port access musical chairs until I went out and bought an Anker powered USB hub
Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub
with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ charging ports.  Very happy with it, no problems running my dongles or other devices on it and I can keep my other ports open on my laptop for directly connecting my external sample HD, my Quadcapture and a MIDI keyboard.
It lists for around $42 but you can probably pick it up cheaper on Black Friday or other sale.

post edited by TheSteven - 2018/10/29 07:35:09

My Tunes
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1