Helpful ReplyiOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2013/05/24 21:42:44 (permalink)

iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction?

Was just reading today about how Apple's upcoming iOS update is going to be a total overhaul of the GUI. They're getting rid of all of the shiny 3D "realism" and going towards a flat and functional interface much like Metro. Have to say I've seen this design trend taking hold all over the web as well.

I wonder if we're going to see fewer plugs with "realistic" looking interfaces, like compressors made to look like their hardware equivalents etc. To be honest I always found that a big stupid - it's not hardware, it's software. Do we really need a photo-realistic VU meter with a shadow under the needle? Or big clunky 3D knobs and sliders? 

I quite like the flat, functional look. A wonderful example is the Valhalla reverb plugs. Understated, neat, functional. It does exactly what it's supposed to do without any graphical frills, and it's very easy on the eyes. 

I wonder if Sonar will take the same route eventually. Is there really any need for a software mixing console to resemble the real thing? 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/24 21:51:25 (permalink)
I think Apple App Dev's are about to find out that IOS 7 breaks all their stuff.  All iPhone/iPad/iPod apps will need to be updated.  A lot of those apps will not be updated, and I bet a lot of people will buy their next, "iWhatever," and it will be their last, "iWhatever."

I do not see how Apple can go, "metrophonual," without totally hacking up the code.

As far as plugins go..  I really like, "flat, functional, cool."  Oxium is a good example of that.

Rapture has been this since 2007?   July 07?  Whenever it came out.   Rapture was the GUI that really broke this barrier.  May not have been, "the first," definitely one of..   Certainly the most famous.

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/24 22:13:51 (permalink)
Have you seen the more recent versions of iTune? They got rid of buttons and stuff. I preferred the old versions. But it may be an indication. As far as visual, for me, as long as it doesn't suck as badly as W8... ;)

As for plug-ins, I use mostly Apple/Logic ones - and they're pretty simple non-non sense GUI wise... Audio plug-ins follow this basic scheme for the biggest part:

Synths vary a bit:

For me, anyway they decide to go... As long as it works and sound good.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
sharke
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/24 22:24:41 (permalink)
The article I was reading was quite interesting and went into the reasons why "realistic" design - or skeuomorphism as it's called - began in the first place. In the early days of graphical computer interfaces, icons and buttons were modeled to look like their counterparts in real life in order to minimize confusion for people who were new to computers and might have trouble internalizing the concept of computer "folders" and digital "files." So you had little Manila folder icons etc. These days, it's less and less clear why skeuomorphism should exist. Most everyone has grown up with computers or at least used them for decades. We don't really need these mental crutches any more. 

I think I prefer the flat GUI's. To me they seem more sophisticated and elegant. 

As for iOS7, I have been led to understand that it's mainly just a graphical update, with few new bells and whistles. I think they know they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if current apps were rendered incompatible. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 06:55:03 (permalink)

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 07:20:53 (permalink)
Rain

Have you seen the more recent versions of iTune? They got rid of buttons and stuff. I preferred the old versions. .
I installed it on my third computer and decided it was horrible. I will not update the computer I use for my music collection until I absolutely must. I guess the basic functionality I could no longer find is in there somewhere. Simple things like, sorting by artist or album. I suppose it's cntl+shift+alt+F7 now. 

Ascetically, how ever functional I hate things that look like a child's toy computer. The Win 8 metro start screen being prime example (IMHO of course). I would not put Valhallaroom's into that catagory, its purly fuctional, appearance is neither good, or bad.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 08:04:25 (permalink)
FWIW - Someone here recommended I try Media Monkey to replace iTunes since I now have over 100,000 songs in my collection and iTunes requires a Cray computer if you don't run it on an Apple product.

It's really great for media and I helped work on a phone & tablet app that provides remote control abilities.

Did I mention that it's much better than iTunes?  Yeah...

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 17:23:20 (permalink)
Rain

Have you seen the more recent versions of iTune? They got rid of buttons and stuff. I preferred the old versions. But it may be an indication. As far as visual, for me, as long as it doesn't suck as badly as W8... ;)

That's just horrible

Whilst I agree that it shouldn't matter, it does a bit. There are some good sounds in Sampletank, but I tend not to use/be inspired by it because the UI is too fiddly (are you paying attention here iK Obi?)

Never had W7, but W8 is immeasurably better than vista for me.

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 20:21:14 (permalink)
paulo

Rain

That's just horrible

Whilst I agree that it shouldn't matter, it does a bit. There are some good sounds in Sampletank, but I tend not to use/be inspired by it because the UI is too fiddly (are you paying attention here iK Obi?)

Never had W7, but W8 is immeasurably better than vista for me.

+1... that makes me want to run away and hide. It will never matter if things get to a point where they work and everyone likes them because someone somewhere has a job: to change things...

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/05/25 23:36:39 (permalink)
paulo

Rain

That's just horrible  

I have never seen that synth before but the interface, while ugly as sin, is intuitive and functional. I could start editing sounds without having to read the manual, print out a list of short cuts, dig deep into menus or whatever.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 17:13:32 (permalink)
And it's confirmed - they are flattening it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2041180/apple-unveils-ios-7.html#tk.fb_mw

Personally, I think it looks awful, though still better than Windows and I think that the 3D texturing actually contributed a great deal to the usability, adding to each icons uniqueness and making them easier to spot at a glance.

The goos news for me is that the next revision of OSX isn't adopting that flat look. 

Linear Phase
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 17:18:57 (permalink)
Still better than Windows?  Have you tried Windows Phone man?  I am not trolling you, or flaming you, but I would like to, "suggest, in a very friendly way," that Windows Phone is really, really cool.  I'm still loving my Nokia that I got about a month ago...  I traded my iphone 4 in, and re'upped my at & t contract.  My Lumia 920 is really cool.  I think the Windows Phone OS is killer

:-)

too many lasers...

Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 17:23:25 (permalink)
No I didn't try it. And I'm talking strictly aesthetics. In terms of functionality, I have no doubts that it's probably great.

To be honest, I don't even use a smart phone anymore. I still have my old 3G iPhone, but I only use it as a MP3 player or to take stupid pics of my cats. When we left Canada, I took it offline.

I have a very basic LG dumb phone which I only use to receive calls from my wife when she's on her way back from work. 
post edited by Rain - 2013/06/10 17:24:28

Linear Phase
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 17:38:43 (permalink)

I don't know..  Win Phone is all modern.   A lot of these tiles, are constanly changing, and updating.  I can't show you all my tiles, but for example..  On Win Phone, there is a tile called "People" and that flips pictures of all your friends and stuff.  I scrolled down to hide it, ya know?  To protect the privacy of my friends..  but I have other tiles below from the weather channel, and one for background photos, and my updates on FB, Twitter, and LinkedIn, and there are constantly updating.  

On apple, those icons stand still.  On Win phone, the thing is, "alive."  

Sorry Rain, but..  Win Phone is so cool!
post edited by Linear Phase - 2013/06/10 17:39:55

too many lasers...

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 18:29:16 (permalink)
I hate the new trend. Office 2013 is another example of flat world. Why not have really cool interface for plugs and instruments you're going to look at for hours?

I personally think that this new "lazy" design is simply a cost cutting measure. Make it so simple and generic that you can outsource your coding. I'll pay more for an interface that appeals to me.

The Mac world will get a real shake if they adopt this 2d plain vanilla look.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 18:43:36 (permalink)
I'm crossing my fingers that this trend will become a thing of the past before it makes it to the actual computer OS.

In the meantime, people will have plenty to rip on w/ the new Mac Pro - which many have already dubbed the Trash Can. 

Personally, I'll wait before I see one in person before I make a judgement. But it's black, so we're off to a good start. ;) 

davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 18:51:42 (permalink)
GOOD GRACIOUS I just spent the better half of 15 minutes trying to find a photo of the new GUI. personally, I don't likes it... it's doesn't seem congruent with the way I view Apple, for one thing. Additionally, I just feel like it doesn't fit the phone itself. Mind you, it is possible to be TOO simple, or TOO aesthetically base... mike, that pic of that synth (Room) you posted seems to be that in my eyes- TOO simplistic, regardless of the level functionality.
In any case, Apple may as well open the gates for jailbreaking and what-have-you, as jbow said; someone is getting paid to change things.

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 19:28:47 (permalink)
You'd think Steve Jobs was dead or something!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
sharke
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 21:58:23 (permalink)
I quite like it. I've always liked less busy, minimalist designs - and I quite like bright colors too. I'm looking forward to updating. 

James
Linear Phase
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 22:04:04 (permalink)
sharke
I quite like it. I've always liked less busy, minimalist designs - and I quite like bright colors too. I'm looking forward to updating. 

Well I do like something.  I like the trashcan Mac Pro.  It looks very modern and kinda Ikea.  I always loved Ikea.  So, + 1 on that.

too many lasers...

Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 22:20:02 (permalink)
Linear Phase
sharke

Well I do like something.  I like the trashcan Mac Pro.  It looks very modern and kinda Ikea.  I always loved Ikea.  So, + 1 on that.

No worries, I'm sure that this design will be copied and offered for Windows PC users, as almost all things Apple. ;)

Linear Phase
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/10 22:56:02 (permalink)
Uh.. I do not know if I am ever buying another PC again. I'm hanging on to my nice 24 inch p, um monitor I mean.. But I think a next Gen or 3rd Gen surface pro is my next, "workstation, tablet, pc, toaster that runs software" whatever we call them now

too many lasers...

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 00:50:08 (permalink)
I too like the look of the new Mac. Strange shape considering where the software is going. The round(ish)? box will be much easier to place in a room. Glad somebody is thinking about the outside of the box.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 04:07:51 (permalink)
It has the merit of being surprising and breaking away from the norm. Who ever said that the current tower was the definitive best-possible incarnation of the desktop computer, anyway...

One thing about Apple is that, when they decide to move forward, they usually go all the way and drop whatever they feel is going away in a near future. There's hardly a thing like a transition period, and they get a lot of heat for that. That's what happened when they ditched the floppy drive, that's what happened when they shipped the MacBook Air w/o a dvd drive...

And now they've created a computer that's basically just a component of the ecosystem. People hanging to their PCI cards will have to go external. The new Mac is all about Thunderbolt 2 and USB 3.

For people who equated the Mac Pro with expandability but still liked to have it all within the tower, I guess that this marks the end. 

I'm not sure how people will react. For example, the cube was a great idea imho but it failed. This new one does look promising. The design kind of makes sense, I think. Something more square-ish would probably be easier to tuck in a corner somewhere, but the cylinder is nice too.

paulo
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 06:34:28 (permalink)
Rain
Linear Phase
sharke

No worries, I'm sure that this design will be copied and offered for Windows PC users, as almost all things Apple. ;)

For half the price ;)
Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 06:42:25 (permalink)
Well, the Apple one may be twice the price but it won't cost me a minute of my time researching which components will work with which others and putting the actual thing together. Time is money. 

And also, five years from now when I decide to replace it, it will still have resale value. 

I had to pay to get rid of my last couple of PCs... Literally.

post edited by Rain - 2013/06/11 06:44:14

Rain
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 06:56:58 (permalink)
Talking of Cubes and resale value...Here's one of these computers from 13 years ago going for just under $250 on eBay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-G4-450-MHz-Cube-1-5GB-160GB-Leopard-Tiger-OS-9-2-15-Display-Speaks-/190849031492?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item2c6f7d1d44

Not bad... A late 2010 MacBook Pro like mine, which I paid $1300, is still going for $500-750. Not bad either, and pretty cool when it's time to upgrade,

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 07:14:05 (permalink)
Rain
Time is money.

Coming from you... that is...  hilarious.

BTW, this is me being nice. :-)

all the best,
mike 

paulo
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 07:14:53 (permalink)
Rain
Well, the Apple one may be twice the price but it won't cost me a minute of my time researching which components will work with which others and putting the actual thing together. Time is money. 

You can buy them ready made y'know ? ;)
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:iOS7 will be flat and functional, maybe plugs going in same direction? 2013/06/11 07:18:18 (permalink)
Better get use to it because unfortunately it's inevitable that the GUI will become more simplified as the GUI moves to a new direction -- examples, 

. HUD - Heads-Up Display, more basic ones commonly used in aircrafts for over a decade.  With HUD there will be no more luggin around large monitors to concerts, the more advanced HUD will probably be a tiny device that can be positioned anywhere and cost much less for manufacturing and materials which means only a mere fraction of the price compared to a 32" LCD monitor or how about a 62 inch for just $200.  The new HUD will have much better graphic display with transparency settings (which is part of the reason why the GUI will need to be simplified) and of course have excellent user-interaction using, 

. Gestures UI - already you can get a Gestures Interface the size of a USB stick for just $60 and this tiny little box is dead simple to use -- connects via USB and your ready to roll, wave and jiggle LOL!!.  And, 

. VUI - Voice UI but much better than previous speech UI software. The latest VUI will have more features and be more precision along with a secure lock-out to your voice that can also be a voice-print for secure only shopping and a fast universal translator.  Samsung has already developed the next generation VUI and hopefully from there it will be greatly improved within a year or so.   VUI --- much like in the Star-Trek movie, the computer will also talk back and users settings to change the voice to whatever you prefer (Darth Vader?, Chipmunks?, Marilyn Monroe?, Elvis?, Captain Kirk?, SnagglePuss?, Army Drill Sergeant?,) so basically whatever personality you want --- do you 'really' want your PC to have way more attitude? LOL!! 

So yeah, eventually we'll see much larger Heads-up Displays (HUD) much like in the movie, Minority Report but have both Gestures and voice UI. 

PS: I read that Apple is developing the Heads-Up Display initially to be introduced in a watch, a miniature iPhone wearable watch format. 
post edited by SongCraft - 2013/06/11 07:21:44

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1