• Computers
  • Useful article on Windows 10 update. (p.2)
2015/08/21 12:53:55
jbow
Um... I've never considered upgrading to Pro or Enterprise. I don't have MS Office, I have a docs reader program and content myself with notepad if I need to write anything. I have no need for a spreadsheet and don't have the wherewithal to put the time and energy into learning something I don't really need... HOWEVER, if Pro or Enterprise will give me more control (and who knows, maybe I do have a use for Office) I wonder if the price/value is good or bad for me.
I'm on the MS page taking a look.
Actually, maybe I tried installing Office 2007 one time because when I checked "installed updates" there were a bunch for Office 2007, but I don't think it is on my machine. I did manage to use settings/devices to remove a printer I no longer use so I won't get updates for it. I suppose since I set W-10 to NOT install drivers or updates for "other" MS products that it would no longer be an issue but I feel like I am completely over my head trying to tweak W-10. I'm just a user. I can add RAM, change a hard drive, reboot. On XP I could remove malware using regedit but, IDK, W-10 reminds me a little of the change, and some of you will remember this, from the time when you could fix your car or truck engine, sitting on the fender with your feet in the engine compartment, using a screw driver, and a few wrenches. You could adjust the carburetor, change the points and plugs, and do other stuff. Yeah, you had to do it more often but NOW... I open the hood and.. is that an engine under all that black plastic? IT has no carburetor, no points, I guess it still has a distributer cap but I doubt it. I might manage to change the plugs and wires and change the oil but that is it. That is sort of the way I see Windows 10.. something that I cannot work on, if I turn this screw, turning it back might not fix it. THAT is what I don't like. I have privacy set to Enhanced, no problem with that.
Bottom line I guess it is that old boogaboo... fear of the unknown. I feel like we need to get torches and pitchforks and surround Microsoft, have they created a monster or just something I don't understand.

I am sure I'll get through this and I really hope I don't mess something up by changing the update settings. I figured that changing to notify me before restart was really doing nothing for me so I put that back to automatic. I'll just keep driver updates off, and other MS updates off.
I'm not certain about location services for things like phone and some other things... I don't know what they do or don't do.
I guess I feel better. The blue screens worry me a bit but so far a reboot has fixed things.
Baaahhh...
J
2015/08/21 15:24:59
ampfixer
The big change for all of us is that Win 10 is not just an OS for the home computer. It is designed to integrate the PC, tablet, phone, game console and online media shopping under a software umbrella. That's why you see all these strange options on your desktop machine.

I have gone through and shut off all the things to do with location and network sharing, just like I did on my smart phone. With Pro I have the option of getting the updates when I want them. It tells me that I have updates and I decide when I want to install them. This is very much like Win 7 was. The biggest difference was Win 7  told me that updates were available and I could see a prioritized list. In Win 10 it tells me I NEED updates and I can install them when I want, but they are not prioritized. I don't know how long I can ignore them.
2015/08/21 15:48:51
Doktor Avalanche
Just regularly make backups you will be fine.
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account