• SONAR
  • Kingston alert!!! (p.3)
2015/11/26 10:26:30
Doktor Avalanche
icontakt
Rolling back takes only some ten seconds if you still have the installer for Jamaica Plain in the download path.

Indeed. But detecting the issue, attempting to diagnose and reproduce it so hopefully it can get fixed (stopped doing that so much, waste of time), and deciding which version to roll back (takes yer poison, what can you 'live' with) is a waste of time, and thank gawd I haven't used JP recording enhancements much otherwise I would have been stuck (JP unstable for me, a confirmed issue). Guess I'll stick with ipswitch update 1 and roll back again to Gloucester. Snakes and ladders... I'm glad I have my eye on the ball here (not sure what people who don't read the forums would do) and appreciate other peoples feedback feeding me with helpful information before I take the plunge.
2015/11/26 12:18:37
stxx
As a very experienced application developer, it is not unusual for some bugs to rear their ugly heads upon release of a new version of software.   The issue becomes more of how many bugs and how serious are they?  If a company releases new software that renders the product non-functional or severly hampers its overall operation, that would be considered a Severity 1 or 2 problem. I have NOT seen CW do this (yet).  It is IMPOSSIBLE to regression test EVERYTHING in the world of software development no matter how many people are on the testing side   Also many tests tend to be automated and they try to cover MOST of the primary and many of the less then primary operations.   I am sure CW has many many use cases that are designed to ensure stability in 95% of the system but some problems will still get through and scenarios that maybe weren't obvious and go untested could sometimes be affected.   This bug would likely not even be considered even a Sev 2 as there appears to be a workaround but still  might be a high priority Sev 3 (functionality effect but work around exists) if it is likely to effect enough people.  It is most likely if the issue is able to be replicated, they will fix it quickly because CW definitely in my opinion really tries to make sure their users are taken care of.   There isn't a software company in the world that doesn't have similar issues with every new release.   What separates the good from the bad companies is how well the react to those issues.   For me, I always wait a week or two before loading the latest new version because I have noticed CW almost always providing a patch update a week or two after their release launches which I think is a very much in line with market expectations.  There are not significant enough issues where a feature freeze is necessary and if there were, we would all be looking at some other DAW because that level of quality would not be tolerated.   I am also sure that Cakewalk likely prioritizes production issues over new content so while new development goes on, field issue will take precedence and developers hopefully realigned to fix the issues before moving back to the new stuff.   Again though, it depends on the severity and actual user impacts the problem has.  Cakewalk, am I close here?
2015/11/26 12:49:08
Doktor Avalanche
stxx
As a very experienced application developer, it is not unusual for some bugs to rear their ugly heads upon release of a new version of software.   The issue becomes more of how many bugs and how serious are they?  If a company releases new software that renders the product non-functional or severly hampers its overall operation, that would be considered a Severity 1 or 2 problem. I have NOT seen CW do this (yet).  It is IMPOSSIBLE to regression test EVERYTHING in the world of software development no matter how many people are on the testing side   Also many tests tend to be automated and they try to cover MOST of the primary and many of the less then primary operations.   I am sure CW has many many use cases that are designed to ensure stability in 95% of the system but some problems will still get through and scenarios that maybe weren't obvious and go untested could sometimes be affected.   This bug would likely not even be considered even a Sev 2 as there appears to be a workaround but still  might be a high priority Sev 3 (functionality effect but work around exists) if it is likely to effect enough people.  It is most likely if the issue is able to be replicated, they will fix it quickly because CW definitely in my opinion really tries to make sure their users are taken care of.   There isn't a software company in the world that doesn't have similar issues with every new release.   What separates the good from the bad companies is how well the react to those issues.   For me, I always wait a week or two before loading the latest new version because I have noticed CW almost always providing a patch update a week or two after their release launches which I think is a very much in line with market expectations.  There are not significant enough issues where a feature freeze is necessary and if there were, we would all be looking at some other DAW because that level of quality would not be tolerated.   I am also sure that Cakewalk likely prioritizes production issues over new content so while new development goes on, field issue will take precedence and developers hopefully realigned to fix the issues before moving back to the new stuff.   Again though, it depends on the severity and actual user impacts the problem has.  Cakewalk, am I close here?

Agree with pretty much everything you say here.  Esp "What separates the good from the bad companies is how well they react to those issues."  I would also how it get's packaged is critical (i.e. with yet more enhancements?).

This bit though...

" I always wait a week or two before loading the latest new version because I have noticed CW almost always providing a patch update a week or two after their release launches which I think is a very much in line with market expectations."

I do the same here. And agree.

When cakewalk does this they do a pretty good job, but I didn't see anything happen here with Jamaica Plain where there were quite a few serious issues, and I'm seeing less of it. I'm continuously being frustrated that regression fixes are getting packages with enhancements leading me to stick with the current version I have for months.

So I would disagree here, but I totally see the point, however I really need a stable version of Sonar with no big issues to get in my way, and month after month I'm given a choice of what I should cope with or not, and yes I might be considering another DAW if the situation continues (not to be facetious or anything). Pity because I think Sonar is a great product. I certainly was pretty optimistic about the situation when Platinum came out but getting less so.

I appreciate I may be in the minority in these forums when it comes to vocalizing this opinion, but outside the Sonar forums I see a different story. A lot of people I notice are worried about making comments like this for fear of being shouted down, the reputation is that these are helpful forums until somebody says something which can be deemed or labelled as anti-sonar, even when they are not trying to be. People have messaged me outside of the forums and I do appreciate it, thankyou...

So anyway let's hope this thread continues into a sensible discussion...
2015/11/26 13:51:00
Doktor Avalanche
To add balance, just installed Kingston - looks good so far, better than JP. Maybe this is the one... TBC. One thing I didn't do it update all the Rapture Pro samples yet. That's something I'm frightened about...
2015/11/26 14:49:18
jpetersen
@icontakt:
Is it possible to revert to JS but still install the new drum replacer download that came with K?
2015/11/26 15:07:27
gadget
Mine's messed-up too!

The updates all went through apparently fine, but now when I start with a project started in JP, VST scan tells me 70 plugins have been removed (!?) and then I get a complete crash!

Really not good. I've only just come back to Sonar after not buying since v8.3. Looks like I should have stayed where I was!!!
2015/11/26 15:09:21
gadget
Even Crash Reporter doesn't work!

I submitted the report, and received a confirmation email, yet the link says I have no reports!!!
2015/11/26 15:18:07
backwoods
ALEX, i think u need a psychiatrist. You post about a thousand times how crap everything is and say thank god i read the forums, i'm rolling back to gloucester. i won't be updating this month.

then two minutes later. ok, i just updated to kingston. seems solid.

seriously, STFU you weirdo!!!

Edited because it was inflammatory to others. Good luck guys. 
2015/11/26 15:55:11
Doktor Avalanche
Doktor Avalanche
A lot of people I notice are worried about making comments like this for fear of being shouted down, the reputation is that these are helpful forums until somebody says something which can be deemed or labelled as anti-sonar, even when they are not trying to be.

^^^^
There you go... The sad thing is that comment will be allowed, and the thread will end up deteriating most likely...

EDITED TO GET RID OF OFFENDING QUOTE FROM LAST POST ABOVE.
2015/11/26 16:09:16
KIKO CUETO
Esto lo he comentado en otro hilo,pero creo que es bueno sumar opiniones, he tenido problemas al exportar.
Pues, despues de Mucho intentarlo y no queria Que Lo CONSEGUIR, Una PASE regresión una Jamaica, y la exportacion me ha funcionado a la primera, no se si que sera el Proyecto ESTABA En Esta actualizacion .....
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account