• SONAR
  • Tightening multi-tracked real drumkit by using AudioSnap - anyone using on regular basis? (p.3)
2016/03/21 10:55:12
Kylotan
You're not going to create a false-flam that wasn't there in the first place if you move all tracks together.
2016/03/21 10:55:43
John T
Kylotan's saying he moves the overheads too. It can work, but I find you get weird overlapping artefacts in the overheads quite often.
2016/03/21 11:51:18
Lord Tim
^^ yep, exactly my finding too.
2016/03/21 13:01:29
Sanderxpander
I understand he's moving the overheads, I'm saying I can't because if you cut or overlap them you always hear, there's either a cut in a ringing cymbal or hihat or a flam or phasing effect. This is where AudioSnap is potentially very useful and actually does help me, I just need to adjust the markers a lot.
2016/03/22 14:22:00
stevec
I don't do multi-track drums myself, but regardless, this thread has been quite informative.  Saved.

This also seems like something worthy of Craig'sList.    
2016/03/25 23:12:53
panup
You guys have given awesome tips for AudioSnapping. I will definitely test the hard gating guide track method!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I'll return to this subject after I've gained more experience and may even write an in-depth article about editing multi-track drums (not only AudioSnap).
2017/04/24 10:18:34
MagicMike
Excellent tips from Lord Tim - cheers!

3. Solo the cloned tracks. On the clones, you want to aggressively gate the hell out of them so you're just getting the initial pop on the start of each hit and nothing else - the track has to be completely silent between hits. It'll sound like garbage, but that's not the point - we're not going to be using these for anything other than our timing guide.

4. Bounce those gated tracks to a new track. That's going to be your guide track now. You can either mute or delete those original cloned and gated tracks now.

I was struggling with AudioSnap on the weekend for a multitrack drum session that was going off click in places. I was getting way too many transients detected on the kick drum track - the kick drum track is well recorded with virtually no bleed. 

Will try this later.
2017/04/24 11:15:02
Soundwise
Sanderxpander
I can, I can never use simple split-and-move tricks because of overhead bleed and ringing cymbals. It works for simple snare replacement but if I actually MOVE a snare you hear a flam because of the overheads. AudioSnap solves this because it moves the hit on the overhead too and slightly stretches the ringing cymbal.

For those who prefer to quantize drums manually, you must group clips before you do edits. That is, to preserve phase, you must split/move grouped clips and not single clips.
2017/04/24 11:17:54
Sanderxpander
If I move the overhead with it the cymbals get messed up, or (e.g.) the kick drum that was supposed to be in sync with the snare but isn't completely. AudioSnap solves that.
2017/04/24 11:27:28
Soundwise
Sanderxpander
If I move the overhead with it the cymbals get messed up, or (e.g.) the kick drum that was supposed to be in sync with the snare but isn't completely. AudioSnap solves that.

© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account