• Hardware
  • WOW! Is the PortaStudio Back? (p.3)
2018/11/20 02:26:24
jimfogle
Back in the mid seventies I purchased my dream sound system: Teac-3340 four channel 1/4' tape reel-to-reel that handled 7" or 15" reels at 15 or 30 inches per second (ips) recording speed, the companion eight input \ four channel mixer, companion Teac AN-30 four channel Dolby A/B noise reduction system, Panasonic two \ four channel eight track recorder \ player, JVC two channel \ quadraphonic turntable with two cartridges and cartridge heads (one stereo and one CD-4), Sony TC-730 stereo tape recorder with built-in sound-on-sound and echo, Pioneer QX-949 four channel receiver and four Pioneer floor speakers.

I saved every penny I could while in military service and ordered the equipment about a month before returning to the US from an extended tour of Southeast Asia.  The package cost a little more than $2,500 in 1975 US dollars and arrived at the post office one week before I returned home.  Two trips to the post office in a pickup truck and later a U-Haul trailer rental to take from my Dad's home to my next duty station.
2018/11/28 13:04:13
Starise
Back in the day I had a Roland VS 880, a very slow AMD  computer,and Aardvark interface, an Alesis HR-16 and a Korg M-1. That was basically my setup. I was using bookshelf speakers for monitors through a consumer stereo amp and recording to cassette.I guess I don't miss those days compared to the tools I have now. I still use a Mackie mixer in my studio sometimes. It mostly gathers dust now though.

The main drawback for me concerning a few of these new mixers is the usb only captures the master buss. That's a deal killer for anyone who wants a good take of each individual track. With Zed, it's like they simply decided to tack on a cheap recording solution. Pretty much useless to me. 
2018/11/28 16:07:55
Leadfoot
Yeah, it's too bad. They were so close to making the ZED mixers truly awesome. They dropped the ball big time.
2018/12/01 16:44:21
Cactus Music
It's one of those "you get what you pay for" situations. 
The under $500 mixers that sport USB will only be stereo in/out USB.  usually the highest channel can be swapped between RCA/1/4" or USB. 

I have a Soundcraft Signature 10 that is like that and the stereo USB channel was what I needed  for playback from my laptop of backing tracks. Otherwise you have to go to the bother and extra cables of an audio interface or ( shudder) use the 1/8" jack. One more thing to go wrong. So far this board has performed beyond my expectations and was money well spent. 
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/signature-10

If I played in a bigger group I would for sure get a mixer that could multitrack as I'm one to record just about every gig I play at. Once again the Soundcraft was high on my list. 
https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/signature-12-mtk

But looking now at the Tascam in the OP,, I think I would go that route. All my Tascam gear has been a bargain. I am still using my Tascam us1641 since they updated the drivers a few years ago I see no reason to upgrade. It has better performance and stability than my Scarlett 6i6. 
2018/12/01 19:20:10
GaryMedia
There was a discussion of the XR18 usage in Sonar here on the forum:
[http://forum.cakewalk.com/Anyone-using-the-Beringher-Xair18-m3505035.aspx ]

In general the multi-channel recording is solid through USB, but the round-trip latency is too high for input monitoring.  Since this is a mixer, you should be able to arrange for mixer-centric monitoring and avoid round-tripping through the software.   

Soft-synths are always the bugaboo, so managing the way you use them is the key to success.  I use an M32 that shares the relatively high latency of the XR18, but I've managed to keep soft-synth sound generation confined to another computer, and therefore I'm free to leverage the many strengths of a mixer as an interface.
2018/12/01 21:41:10
Wayfarer
I've had two sub $500 Behringer mixers that had USB on them (still using one of them), and the latency is so bad it isn't worth messing with. Sounds no better than the 1/4" or XLR outs anyway. At least I can't tell the difference. That's why I've hung onto my old Echo MIA card all these years. USB just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Bill
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account