Helpful Replymoney no object, would you use a control surface?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 16:24:55 (permalink)
tenfoot
Sanderxpander
The thing I seem to miss most is a scrub wheel.

That is the thing I missed when I stopped using the Yamaha 01x. I now use Lemur for android. The template for Sonar not only has a scrub wheel, you can redesign the layout/size of control items to suit yourself. 

Bruce what caused you to stop using your Yamaha 01x?  I am a huge fan of their mixers?

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBWfLp0D4F0l_YWiQpN5AN_HbSpaIe8bk
Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 16:33:57 (permalink)
Well it would have to be no object enough to build a second system and new room. The only reason I don't use one is lack of a place to put it. If I laid my room out purely for audio production everything would be fine and I could have a control surface right in front of me. However Sonar is just a toy for me, my computer's main use is video games, so the layout is different. I got an MCU Pro and tried it, but there was just nowhere good I could put it. Too large to place at all centrally, not convenient to use off to the side. I ended up selling it for about 20% of purchase price ><.

So if I had the cash, ya I'd build a separate studio. I'd have video game room with video game computer and studio room with studio computer. Studio computer would have a large format mixer/control surface right up front.
BMOG
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 16:58:55 (permalink)
I am leaning towards this mixer but I am afraid to purchase because I don't know for sure if I can control it the way I desire.  If anyone has this and can share I would appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfkP501uD-Y

Behringer X32

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
Sonar Platinum |ASUS Desktop PC|Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.6GHz|8 GM of Memory|64Bit|Yamaha 01v96i|Motu MK3 Ultralite not active|Roland Octa Capture not active|Motif XS7|Ravenscroft 275 VST|KOMPLETE 10
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 17:02:51 (permalink)
I use a Mackie control.
I love it. the new universals (well some what new) are great as well.
its just a pretty penny for even the extension surfaces.
but as stated in the OP "money is not an object"

Must be nice

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

LLyons
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 17:32:39 (permalink)
First - my main DAW is Sonar Platinum.   I recently built a new PC and bought a 27" Planar touch screen. While I use it, I still rely on the mouse and keypad.  I found I have finer control with the two instead of the touch screen.

A few months ago, my band needed a new FOH mixing system.  I decided to go with an RM32AI (love it so much I am getting another), a CS18AI control surface, MOTU AVB switch, and use the new PC and Planar along with a few ipads. That control surface works really well with Studio One.  When we record live, and mix back down with that combination, I have very nice tactile control - but the DAW tends to slow me down.  The best thing to me is that, the VST's we use to record with - we use live because of the tight integration.  

Net Net - while the presonus hardware choices do not work with Sonar, to answer the original post - if I had more money, I would most definitely add a control surface for Sonar.  What would be really nice is that the CS18AI could be ported to be used with Sonar and I could use Sonar to power the VST integration, live.  

Take care

L

L Lyons 
DOS and Windows Pro Audio 2-9 from 12 Tone, Sonar 2, 2XL, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 8.5, Producer, Producer Expanded, X1 Producer, X2 Producer, X3 Producer and now Sonar Platinum 64 bit - 2nd year
Home Built Machine
32G Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR4 
Win 10 Pro
Intel i7-6700K
Gigabyte Z170-UD5 Thunderbolt3 - AVB ready
Planar Hellium 27 touchscreen
Limited connection to internet
DAW use ONLY
WAVES 9.2 64 Bit 
MOTU 1248 - Connect Thunderbolt
MOTU AVB Switch
Presonus RM32ai - Connect firewire 800
CS18ai - Connect AVB
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 17:37:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mystic38 2016/06/08 16:59:48
I'm happy with the Behringer X-touch. If you're just looking for a control surface..

https://youtu.be/y4MQjdNx__o

laudem Deo
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 18:47:17 (permalink)
I came for an Alesis X-2 24 Channel 8 Bus mixer.

When I went in the box (2003) I got a Tascam 1884 control surface.

Got rid of that in lieu of a Presonus FaderPort this past year.

After 4 months or so, I truly do not miss the multiple faders.

I am not a studio for hire, but if I was I'd have a control surface; as your average customer would think that makes me "special" that I can utilize so many knobs and faders.
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 22:45:05 (permalink)
BMOG
tenfoot
Sanderxpander

That is the thing I missed when I stopped using the Yamaha 01x. I now use Lemur for android. The template for Sonar not only has a scrub wheel, you can redesign the layout/size of control items to suit yourself. 

Bruce what caused you to stop using your Yamaha 01x?  I am a huge fan of their mixers?

I was too Jsun! I have two 01x's.  Unfortunately Yamaha didn't ever write a functioning 64bit driver for the 01x, which dissapointed it's user base terribly. I have an RME interface that is twice the age of the 01x and they still release current drivers for it.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
SuperG
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1371
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/07 23:14:45 (permalink)
bapu
I came for an Alesis X-2 24 Channel 8 Bus mixer.

When I went in the box (2003) I got a Tascam 1884 control surface.

Got rid of that in lieu of a Presonus FaderPort this past year.

After 4 months or so, I truly do not miss the multiple faders.

I am not a studio for hire, but if I was I'd have a control surface; as your average customer would think that makes me "special" that I can utilize so many knobs and faders.

I went the other way.  I have one of the buggy FaderPorts. The pan knob is useless as it sometimes would throw out random values, sometimes in the wrong direction, making it impossible to use. I thought I was going crazy until I ran it through Midi-Ox to see what the heck was going on.

Of course, I picked it up used on Ebay, so am hosed. I limped along with it for two years. Since GC was insistent on sending me a 15% coupon, I sprang for the X-Touch.... I'm hoping the lustre of a multichannel controller doesn't wear off....

laudem Deo
tenfoot
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 00:10:56 (permalink)
BMOG
I am leaning towards this mixer but I am afraid to purchase because I don't know for sure if I can control it the way I desire.  If anyone has this and can share I would appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfkP501uD-Y

Behringer X32

I have an X32 Producer that I use for live gigs Jsun. It has a control surface function that uses the mackie control template in Sonar. A dedicated button on the X32 activates DAW control, and a bank 8 faders on the x32 are assigned to Sonar. You can control mute, pan, solo and ànd channel levels in banks of 8. This works well. You can also record enable tracks and operate transport controls, but they are not dedicated buttons on the x32 and are a bit convoluted in my opinion.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
BMOG
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 08:27:25 (permalink)
tenfoot
BMOG
tenfoot
Sanderxpander

I was too Jsun! I have two 01x's.  Unfortunately Yamaha didn't ever write a functioning 64bit driver for the 01x, which dissapointed it's user base terribly. I have an RME interface that is twice the age of the 01x and they still release current drivers for it.

I don't know how 64bit plays into the Mac world but my Mastering engineer I believe is using the Yamaha 01 something but he is using ProTools HD on a mac.  This is what started me down the road of wanting external gear to mix, watching him actually turn knobs on the Yamaha console and able to do everything, eq, compression, gate all that you need in a mix.  With the ability of when he needed a plugin he can add those via ProTools, what was also cool for me to see once he is done mixing, he can send the mix from the Yamaha back into ProTools complete and record the finish mix in a track in ProTools. A lot of that is over my head but after watching this process I would like to be able to do something similar or get close at least. If there is someone who can break down this process I would appreciate it

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
tenfoot
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 09:59:36 (permalink)
BMOG
tenfoot
BMOG
tenfoot
Sanderxpander

I don't know how 64bit plays into the Mac world but my Mastering engineer I believe is using the Yamaha 01 something but he is using ProTools HD on a mac.  This is what started me down the road of wanting external gear to mix, watching him actually turn knobs on the Yamaha console and able to do everything, eq, compression, gate all that you need in a mix.  With the ability of when he needed a plugin he can add those via ProTools, what was also cool for me to see once he is done mixing, he can send the mix from the Yamaha back into ProTools complete and record the finish mix in a track in ProTools. A lot of that is over my head but after watching this process I would like to be able to do something similar or get close at least. If there is someone who can break down this process I would appreciate it

I suspect you may be referring to the 01V, which has 64bit drivers. The 01x certainly does not, on any platform.

You can use any digital desk to mix on and process audio tracks, and integrate it with any DAW to include outboard processing. To be honest though,  with regards to entry level digital desks (which both the Yamaha 01v96i and and the X32 are), I see little point in mixing 'outside the box'. There are so many quality vst fx now, and computer power and memory is so affordable. 

If you get a chance, before you purchase a mixing desk hire an 01v and an x32 and try them out, especially the onboard fx (of which the x32 has twice the number of slots) and preamps. You may be very surprised. :) The architecture of the 01v hasn't really changed much in a very long time, and as a result is a bit dated. Of course, there are many other great options too. We are spoiled for choice these days.

At the end of the day, you just have to go with what you like:)
post edited by tenfoot - 2016/06/08 12:07:25

Bruce.

WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 12:04:41 (permalink)
SuperG
I'm happy with the Behringer X-touch. If you're just looking for a control surface..

https://youtu.be/y4MQjdNx__o

We G's think alike! The X-Touch has made working with Sonar so much easier. I hardly use the keyboard anymore except for entering text.

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
cballreich
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 13:32:38 (permalink)
I love my Mackie MCU. I got an extension for it and it's really easy to use. I keep reprogramming the function keys and foot pedal functions which make life so much easier.

Cindy

ASUS N550J (Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.6Ghz + 16Gb RAM) | Win 10 |Sonar Platinum | Focusrite 18i20 w/ BLA mod | Mackie MCU Pro + XT Pro | KRK ROKIT 5 G3 + KRK10s
My Band: Echo Sparks 
BMOG
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 14:05:35 (permalink)
cballreich
I love my Mackie MCU. I got an extension for it and it's really easy to use. I keep reprogramming the function keys and foot pedal functions which make life so much easier.

Cindy

Cindy is this what you have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CceRcyh3t98

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
cballreich
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 16:15:43 (permalink)
BMOG

Cindy is this what you have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CceRcyh3t98

Yes. I also have one of the 8 channel extension units. The XT complicates things slightly in Sonar, but it's easy to use once you understand the set up. 
http://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT%20RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/MCU_Pro-XT_Pro_OM.pdf

ASUS N550J (Intel Core i7 4700HQ 2.6Ghz + 16Gb RAM) | Win 10 |Sonar Platinum | Focusrite 18i20 w/ BLA mod | Mackie MCU Pro + XT Pro | KRK ROKIT 5 G3 + KRK10s
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 16:32:50 (permalink)
I too have an MCU and love using it with Sonar Platinum.   It works just as great as the first day I received it, after a minor scrub wheel wheel and fader problem that I fixed myself.  Nothing like a screw Driver!

The majority of my plugins are controlled in Sonar by the MCU.
The F1 - F8 functions keys serve me well as i have configured them.
All of the buttons and and the use of pan pots work well for drawing automation when needed.

I love the MCU, but I can accept a better Controller when the time is right and the money is available for such a venture.
See the Avid S3 control Surface that will work with Sonar Platinum  ~~~>  AVID  S3  <~~~
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/06/08 18:33:18

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
BMOG
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 16:36:10 (permalink)
Jesse G
I too have an MCU and love using it with Sonar Platinum.   It works just as great as the first day I received it, after a minor scrub wheel wheel and fader problem that I fixed myself.  Nothing like a screw Driver!

The majority of my plugins are controlled in Sonar by the MCU.
The F1 - F8 functions keys serve me well as i have configured them.
All of the buttons and and the use of pan pots work well for drawing automation when needed.

I love the MCU, but I can accept a better Controller when the time is right and the money is available for such a venture.

Thank you Cindy and Jesse if you both don't mind can you give a general list of the plugins that you can control with the MCU? Both of you have me interest peaked in regards to the MCU and the extension because of the use of plugins

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
cballreich
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 17:12:05 (permalink)
BMOG

Thank you Cindy and Jesse if you both don't mind can you give a general list of the plugins that you can control with the MCU? Both of you have me interest peaked in regards to the MCU and the extension because of the use of plugins

I haven't used mine for anything other than the equalizer yet. They used to make a thing called the C4 with is nothing but knobs and display. I don't know why they don't make it any more. It seems like a very cool idea.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr06/articles/mackiec4.htm

Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 19:11:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BMOG 2016/06/08 20:21:48
BMOG

BMOG,

I have used and controlled with my MCU the below plugins.
  • All Sonar Platinum Plugins. (however not when they are in the Pro Channel, Just the first Plug-in appears).
  • All Waves Plugins that I currently have.  (Power Pack Bundle = 9 plugins and a lot of Singles thanks to "CClarry", too many to Name)
  • PSP Micro Warmer, Vintage Warmer & Vintage Warmer 2
  • PSP Master Comp & Micro Comp
  • BBE Sonic Sweet Bundle
  • All T-Racks that I have, 10 pieces which includes (compressors, limiters, EQs, reverbs, console channel strips and others)
  • Voxengo  Mixing suite 9 plugins and Voxengo Free ones too
  • Nomad BT effects Bundle = 20 plugins
  • Also Cakewalk DXI plugins work as well
  • A lot of Free plug in as well.

Here is the key,

Open up a new empty project and add 3 audio tracks.
Insert several plugins on track 1
Press the plugin button under assignments and you will see P1 appear on the MCU assignment window.
Press the plugin button again until you see "P1." on the MCU assignment window.

P1 will always show the default plugins listed in slot 1 which is based on the first plug in assigned to Pro channel for each track.  So, with P1 showing you can click each channel "Select" button on the MCU and it will show the first plugin in Pro Channel only as long as there is an audio track available.

Press the Plug in button again and it will will you "P1."

"P1."  Will show the plugins inserted on a track for which the select button is pressed. So select any of the 5 audio tracks and you will see the fist plugin in Pro Channel by default.

Go back to Track 1 which has several plugin inserted.

To get to the next plugin in a track, make sure "P1." is showing and press the Global View button until it lights up.

Hold down M1 button on the MCU and press the Right Channel Button

"P2." will be the next plug in on the track but this does not include Pro Channel any longer, this only includes inserted plugins. look at the plug in name on the scribble strip for the MCU.

"P3." will be the 3rd plugin assigned and so on.   If you  don't see any more parameter for the plugin after pressing M1 and the right channel  button, this means you have run out of inserted plugins for that Channel/

The pan pots can be used to change the parameters on the plug ins and if you run out of parameters on the screen, hit the right Bank button to see the next 8 parameters and so on for that plugin.

Practice, you'll get it.
post edited by Jesse G - 2016/06/08 20:09:00

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
BMOG
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/08 20:00:26 (permalink)
Jesse G
BMOG

BMOG,

I have used and controlled with my MCU the below plugins.
  • All Sonar Platinum Plugins. (however not when they are in the Pro Channel, Just the first Plug-in appears).
  • All Waves Plugins that I currently have.  (Power Pack Bundle = 9 plugins and a lot of Singles thanks to "CClarry", too many to Name)
  • PSP Micro Warmer, Vintage Warmer & Vintage Warmer 2
  • PSP Master Comp & Micro Comp
  • BBE Sonic Sweet Bundle
  • All T-Racks that I have, 10 pieces which includes (compressors, limiters, EQs, reverbs, console channel strips and others)
  • Voxengo  Mixing suite 9 plugins and Voxengo Free ones too
  • Nomad BT effects Bundle = 20 plugins
  • Also Cakewalk DXI plugins work as well
  • A lot of Free plug in as well.

Here is the key,

Open up a new empty project and add 3 audio tracks.
Insert several plugins on track 1
Press the plugin button under assignments and you will see P1 appear on the MCU assignment window.
Press the plugin button again until you see "P1." on the MCU assignment window.

P1 will always show the default plugins listed in slot 1 which is based on the first plug in assigned to Pro channel for each track.  So, with P1 showing you can click each channel "Select" button on the MCU and it will show the first plugin in Pro Channel only as long as there is an audio track available.

Press the Plug in button again and it will will you "P1."

"P1."  Will show the plugins inserted on a track for which the select button is pressed. So select any of the 5 audio tracks and you will see the fist plugin in Pro Channel by default.

Go back to Track 1 which has several plugin inserted.

To get to the next plugin in a track, make sure "P1." is showing and press the Global View button until it lights up.

Hold down M1 button on the MCU and press the Right Channel Button

"P2." will be the next plug in on the track but this does not include Pro Channel any longer, this only includes inserted plugins. look at the plug in name on the scribble strip for the MCU.

"P3." will be the 3rd plugin assigned and so on.   If you  don't see any more parameter for the plugin after pressing M1 and the right channel  button, this means you have run out of inserted plugins for that Channel/

The pan pots can be used to change the parameters on the plug ins and if you run out of parameters on the screen, hit the right Bank button to see the next 8 parameters and so on for that plugin.

Practice, you'll get it.

This is what I was hoping for you may have just help make a sale

www.jsuntylermusic.com
Youtube Channel
gprokap
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/09 09:16:42 (permalink)
Money no object I'd have an analogue console.  Still mix in the box for recall purposes but tracking trough a reasonable sized console is just better for full bands.

How much mixing is fader moves compared to dicking around with plugins these days?  To be honest, most of my faders in a mix sit at unity with the level being set by plugs.  Maybe that's just what I've gotten use to over the years, I cold easily afford a bunch of midi faders but I can't rationalize the SPACE they'd take up compared to the aluye they'd add.

Then again, I'm a "hobbyist" and my primary source of income isn't music production.  with that speed is more important so maybe if it shaves an hour or two off a song it'll easily pay for itself over time.
Synaptic
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/17 03:44:15 (permalink)
Anderton
I agree with e.Blue, Softube's Console 1 would do what you want. Also, SONAR is EUCON compatible so it works with the Avid Artist Controllers (or at least they worked when I first tested them a few software revs ago). Mackie controllers work too...there are quite a few options.

Hey Craig,
Eucon still works fine in the current release (though it needs a little love - ProChannel doesn't work, for example) but you need to manually install the Eucon driver for Sonar, which is available in the KB 
Also, if you want a free touch controller and you have a iPad, check out the free PT control app 
details & instructions on how to set it up in this thread

Chuck

HP Z420 24 gigs Ram:Win 8.1 
Eleven Rack :M-Audio Keyrig: Avid Artist Mix + Control
sonarman1
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 255
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/06/17 07:50:32 (permalink)
hmm.. someone has done cool videos on using X touch with Sonar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK1mWDF830I

This is someone using mc control(old model) with sonar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxEhe3M3M2c
Seems it works fine. Does that mean Sonar can be controlled with avid S3 S6 as well?
post edited by sonarman1 - 2016/06/17 08:37:53
shmuelyosef
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/21 18:49:41 (permalink)
a lot of these systems are set up for a dedicated 'engineer' running the DAW for a band or artist. I'm a one man shop, and I already have a keyboard and a "KEYBOARD" in between me and the monitors. Even though I just upgraded the latter to a Novation SL Mkii with sliders, knobs and buttons, I still use my Frontier Tranzport for transport controls as it eats a whole row of knobs on the Novation (no dedicated transport) which are better spent on Solo or Mute type functions. IMHO, for the solo producer, this type of layout is the best. I have two monitors, but can imagine something like the Novation, but with a half-height 27" monitor built-in at a slant for touch-sensitive controls. I have seen this layout in instrumentation and industrial controls, so I know the displays exist. Then I could have a single monitor dedicated to track view on a conventional 27" above and the 49-key controller would fit nicely in a narrow slot. The built-in monitor could switch between a couple of layouts, and for this function I would be willing to give up the tactile nature of sliders. Keep in mind that with a screen, you can make the sliders 10" high for intensive mixing, or shrink them during tracking to allow room for plugin controls and other stuff. You could even program a plugin 'tiling' system that used the existing popup windows and filled the half-height monitor with 5-6 plugins at a time, saving views in a project as you go. 

If money REALLY is no object, I know several groups of people here in the SF Bay Area (ex-DigiLab types) that would be completely jazzed to take on this project if they had funding. 

- Sonar Platinum 64-bit; Reaper; Ableton Live 9; Samplitude
- PugetSystems Serenity Mini: WIN 10-PRO 64-bit; Intel Quad i7-4670 turbo to 3.8GHz; 16GB RAM; ASUS Gryphon Z89 - Antec P180 case. 
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- DSI OB-6 (love child of a Prophet and an Oberheim)
- NORD Electro 3HP
- Roland XP-10
- Customized Fender-Rhodes Dyno Stage 73
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/21 18:55:25 (permalink)
Presonus is about to release a new Faderport:

http://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort-8

The original faderport did quite well with other DAW's and I see no reason why this should not be the case here too.  It is going to be around $500 US I believe.

It will still work deeper with Studio One though but for those who use that DAW here it might be a good choice.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Muziekschuur at home
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1442
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/21 19:13:02 (permalink)
SSL AWS948 would be nice....

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Windows 7 32bit & 64bit (dualboot) Gigabyte mobo Intel dual quad 9650 & 4GB Ram RME DIGI9636 & Tascam DM24.  M-audio Rbus & SI-24 Alesis Pro active 5.1 & Radford 90 transmissionline monitors. Roland RD-150 piano Edirol UM-880 & alesis fireport.
Remote recording Alesis HD-24 & Phonic MRS 1-20.
P.A. D&R Dayner 29-8-2 & behringer MX8000 (& racks)
Rackpc Sonar Platinum with win10 AMD X6 1055T, 16GB Ram
 Dell inspiron 17R 6gb ram W10 two SSD's Sonar Plat.
vanceen
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 814
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/21 19:37:49 (permalink)
Personally, I don't understand the point of control surfaces. Why do I need motorized faders when I can create envelopes with so much more precision? What functions can a control surface perform that can't be easily performed with envelopes and automation?

I don't mean to be dismissive; perhaps I'm missing something. But I would much rather spend the money on a good microphone.

EDIT: I note that some of you mention live situations. I see how that could be more efficient.

post edited by vanceen - 2016/09/21 20:18:49

SONAR Platinum
Windows 10
ASUS X99E WE
Core i7 5960X  
32 GB Corsair DDR4 2133 C13
Fireface UFX USB driver 1.098
GeForce GTX 950
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/22 06:00:44 (permalink)
no
shmuelyosef
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 178
Re: money no object, would you use a control surface? 2016/09/25 21:32:49 (permalink)
vanceen
Personally, I don't understand the point of control surfaces. Why do I need motorized faders when I can create envelopes with so much more precision? What functions can a control surface perform that can't be easily performed with envelopes and automation?

I don't mean to be dismissive; perhaps I'm missing something. But I would much rather spend the money on a good microphone.

EDIT: I note that some of you mention live situations. I see how that could be more efficient.

Control surface is a lot more than motorized faders. Even for just mixing, having 8 physical sliders is a lot more efficient than mousing each track volume...also you can have dedicated knobs for pan and send, you can have rows of dedicated buttons for Record Arm, Mute, Solo, dedicated buttons for Play, Record, Rewind, FF, you can have a knob for scrolling through session time, etc...I agree that automation in real time (the old school "ride the sliders") is not unique now with graphic automation. 

- Sonar Platinum 64-bit; Reaper; Ableton Live 9; Samplitude
- PugetSystems Serenity Mini: WIN 10-PRO 64-bit; Intel Quad i7-4670 turbo to 3.8GHz; 16GB RAM; ASUS Gryphon Z89 - Antec P180 case. 
- Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
- DSI OB-6 (love child of a Prophet and an Oberheim)
- NORD Electro 3HP
- Roland XP-10
- Customized Fender-Rhodes Dyno Stage 73
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1