Lockedoh great... shootout at my fast food stop

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 07:58:21 (permalink)

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 08:06:04 (permalink)
This is meant in the kindest of ways...

To those who don't like guns, and talk of guns.... that's OK. In the coffee house, guns are not on the prohibited list and they are not religion or politics.....so if you don't like the topic of discussion at this table, feel free to exercise your right to go somewhere else and join that discussion. When I see you in another forum or thread, I won't hold that against you, after all...I consider everyone here to be my brothers and sisters in music creation...and friends. We can disagree.

I often go into a thread...discover that the topic is something I disagree with, and out of respect for those in the thread.... I don't post, I go somewhere else....after all, there's a lot happening here at Cake.

Guns and guitars just seem to be a nice fit...I used to play in a band (full time musicians) and when we were not making music, we were making holes in things like targets and tin cans out in the woods.

If you don't like guns....well that's your choice. But for the time being anyway, we do have a protected right here in the USSA to keep and bear arms and discuss this hobby openly.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 08:08:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Can we talk about biscuits? :-)

Other people have mentioned that they do not want to be confronted with talk about guns here, they have a valid point.

And yes, it is a religion, and the NRA the governing church, like it or not. It is also a political lobby. Therefor this thread is not appropriate on any level.

Besides, I subscribe to the New York Times. I prefer to get my news from them, not here from you.

Thanks.

New York Times - now THERE'S a bastion of truth (snicker, snicker).
If you don't want to be confronted by talk of guns, why are you even reading this thread?

Jack
Qapla!
Guitarhacker
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 08:13:30 (permalink)
Jack, I used to live in NJ, near Camden.....I hear your pain.

I had to get a "rifle permit" back in 1972 just to buy a Colman 761 AIR rifle... (a BB gun to those in Rio Linda)

Almost everything I own is illegal in NJ. Since I have no relatives in NJ anymore...I don't have to worry about traveling in that Gun Free Zone....

BMI/NSAI

Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 08:34:47 (permalink)
I know, and they shouldn't turn every conversation into the OK corral. Best thing is to just stop posting in such threads, I think. I will. That should give a signal. Going into preaching mode doesn't help. They know.

If people think the solution to so many people using guns in violent crime, is simply more guns - well, have fun - I frankly think you're nuts.

If they think talking about them all the time solves anything, and is sexy to boot, well - they might wonder why others walk away all of a sudden, every time, since that's a matter of tastes and distastes.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
jackn2mpu
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 09:01:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

Jack, I used to live in NJ, near Camden.....I hear your pain.

I had to get a "rifle permit" back in 1972 just to buy a Colman 761 AIR rifle... (a BB gun to those in Rio Linda)

Almost everything I own is illegal in NJ. Since I have no relatives in NJ anymore...I don't have to worry about traveling in that Gun Free Zone....

You just reminded me of some lunacy I'd forgotten about. Back in the late 70's/early 80's my dad and I owned a small 26 foot boot based at a marina on Barnegat Bay. As part of the Coast Guard Auxiliary inspection they wanted us to have a couple of signaling devices (flags & flares). Went to the local sporting goods store and had to order the stuff I wanted as they were out at the time. No problem. Get a call a week later and there was a problem - I had to get a purchase permit to be able to buy the flare pistol! There went that boating season.

Jack
Qapla!
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 10:14:43 (permalink)

I know it's a serious thing but....those must be some bad biscuits!

Where I live in Louisiana one can not only protect their home but their property that it is on and also their vehicle.
I believe it's one of the last states where one can protect their property. Not a place to be acting a fool. And to top it off I have no property tax. Now how cool is that?

Last week an article in the paper...a Doctor and his wife leaving an establishment were confronted by a bozo trying to wrestle her purse from her. The Doctor shot him in the butt. The law later arrested him at a hospital. Although I do think that happen in Arkansas....I step into Arkansas a block away from my house.

It's very bad times for many. So many will do bad things. It's a little more comforting knowing one can legally protect themselves. Naturally shooting somebody is not something I would want to do, it's something I'd do if I had to.
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 11:12:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spacey

I know it's a serious thing but....those must be some bad biscuits!

Where I live in Louisiana one can not only protect their home but their property that it is on and also their vehicle.
I believe it's one of the last states where one can protect their property. Not a place to be acting a fool. And to top it off I have no property tax. Now how cool is that?

Last week an article in the paper...a Doctor and his wife leaving an establishment were confronted by a bozo trying to wrestle her purse from her. The Doctor shot him in the butt. The law later arrested him at a hospital. Although I do think that happen in Arkansas....I step into Arkansas a block away from my house.

It's very bad times for many. So many will do bad things. It's a little more comforting knowing one can legally protect themselves. Naturally shooting somebody is not something I would want to do, it's something I'd do if I had to.

Texas subscribes to the Castle Doctrine
My view
Certain careers are hazardous. Coal mining can give you black lung disease or you could die in a mine collapse. Professional scuba diving can lead to bends and other things that could be fatal like shark attacks.

Same holds true with being a criminal.

I like the Tejas version - my house - my car - my office. I have not felt compelled at my office yet. My car - only when I have to go somewhere that I know is not safe. My home - always. My family comes first and foremost. If you do not want to risk it, do not come into my house illegally. That simple.

From Wiki
A Castle Doctrine (also known as a Castle Law or a Defense of Habitation Law) is an American legal concept arising from English Common Law[1] that designates one's place of residence (or, in some states, any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protection from illegal trespassing and violent attack. It then goes on to give a person the legal right to use deadly force to defend that place (his/her "castle"), and/or any other innocent persons legally inside it, from violent attack or an intrusion which may lead to violent attack. In a legal context, therefore, use of deadly force which actually results in death may be defended as justifiable homicide under the Castle Doctrine.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Roflcopter
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6767
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 11:15:29 (permalink)
OK, I'm out of this threads.

[mule-kicks surprised saloon door trying the old ass-pat]

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
spacey
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 13:32:42 (permalink)
Well I didn't read every post here....

My post was more about the legality of protecting ones family or ones self in the state of Lousiana.
Also an example of how a citizen can protect themselves on the street. (iin AR)

For the ones that talk about guns and that it's offensive. I understand but one should realize that protecting yourself isn't limited to guns.

I am not going to drag anything out but thought that information should be pointed out. Many things can be considered a weapon and trialed as one in the United States judicial courts. Even the hands of a martial artists or trained military person for example.

The topic can be very upsetting for some and I didn't consider that in my post. I apologize if I have upset anybody. I assure you it was not intentional.

Sincerely,
Michael

space_cowboy
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 13:35:50 (permalink)

Well I didn't read every post here....

My post was more about the legality of protecting ones family or ones self in the state of Lousiana.
Also an example of how a citizen can protect themselves on the street. (iin AR)

For the ones that talk about guns and that it's offensive. I understand but one should realize that protecting yourself isn't limited to guns.

I am not going to drag anything out but thought that information should be pointed out. Many things can be considered a weapon and trialed as one in the United States judicial courts. Even the hands of a martial artists or trained military person for example.

The topic can be very upsetting for some and I didn't consider that in my post. I apologize if I have upset anybody. I assure you it was not intentional.

Sincerely,
Michael

I knew a girl in college that had one of those gigantic cottage cheese butts, that, when she wore spandex, guys walking behind her would keel over dead. But she had a permit.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Guitarhacker
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 17:30:17 (permalink)
I guarantee you this.... if the ones here and across America that are against guns, were in a situation where they were in immediate danger of being killed, or their family harmed in some way by violent criminal types.... and they had the opportunity to grab a bad guys gun, as the bad guy was coming at them...they'd point and squeeze.

I can see the point...we shouldn't need guns to protect ourselves in the USSA... but the fact of the matter is....we do. And I choose to be prepared to defend myself and my family.

BMI/NSAI

space_cowboy
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 18:05:35 (permalink)
USSA

I use that too now. Nice to see it catching on.

People think there is a correlation between anti-gun laws and violence. I do not believe there are any proven statistics on that.

I assume that making them illegal doesn't phase most people intent on breaking the law anyway.

To top things off, you have certain people inciting class hatred right now. Protests in people's yards in CT a few weeks ago are signs of more to come.

Monkey23
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 848
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 00:38:51 (permalink)

Our local Walmart has a rent-a-cop that drives around the lot with flashin lights due to the robberies, rapes, kidnappings, and shootouts in their parking lot.

Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with my 9mm. I carry it to church, to work, and to all other places that don't prohibit me from exercising my 2nd amendment right. If they have a "No CCW" sign, I don't do business with them. In NC, there is currently legislation to allow CCW in resturants that serve adult beverages with the meals. I'll be glad when it passes.

Crime and gangs are out of control in the USA..... small towns are not immune, living in the country is not safe anymore..... protect your self..... just ask yourself this question:

Would you rather have a gun and not need it...or need it and not have it?

MOST DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE: in a "gun free zone"... think about it.

Uh.. Where the hell do you live where you need guns at church, and a cop at Wall-mart to prevent rapes and kidnappings?!

I'm not trying to stand on my high horse here, because there is violence everywhere, but this is excessive and by no means normal. This thread should not debate guns vs no guns, but maybe should discuss why your town (state? country?) is so dangerous that it would be deemed reasonable and necessary to bring your gun to work and church!
post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/04/01 00:49:01
RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 01:25:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Monkey23

Our local Walmart has a rent-a-cop that drives around the lot with flashin lights due to the robberies, rapes, kidnappings, and shootouts in their parking lot.

Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with my 9mm. I carry it to church, to work, and to all other places that don't prohibit me from exercising my 2nd amendment right. If they have a "No CCW" sign, I don't do business with them. In NC, there is currently legislation to allow CCW in resturants that serve adult beverages with the meals. I'll be glad when it passes.

Crime and gangs are out of control in the USA..... small towns are not immune, living in the country is not safe anymore..... protect your self..... just ask yourself this question:

Would you rather have a gun and not need it...or need it and not have it?

MOST DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE: in a "gun free zone"... think about it.

Uh.. Where the hell do you live where you need guns at church, and a cop at Wall-mart to prevent rapes and kidnappings?!

I'm not trying to stand on my high horse here, because there is violence everywhere, but this is excessive and by no means normal. This thread should not debate guns vs no guns, but maybe should discuss why your town (state? country?) is so dangerous that it would be deemed reasonable and necessary to bring your gun to work and church!

Monkey23, we're Canadian... I understand the thinking behind carrying a firearm, about as much as an American understands how the heck we can leave the house without locking the door behind us. ;)

David Yanofsky
Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 02:23:17 (permalink)
Yeah, try that in Atlanta... It's a question of perspective. If you've never been attacked? Then you don't know what it is? However, if you've been attacked repeatedly? Then jokes about being attacked are less humorous? I’m sure you know what I mean, the soap's right over there? I just dropped it? If you wouldn't mind "picking it up?" Come on, be a sport!

And hey, we can all agree that rape is horrible? So to prevent it? Let's cut of "that which you hold near and dear" to make sure it never happens? Regardless of the fact that you personally have never committed this act? That is immaterial. What is important is that by being “the owner” of said organ, you are “potentially” an abuser with said organ, and therefore, you must be stopped before you commit a horrible injustice on another. At the very least, we need to make sure that if you keep that thing? It needs to be printed, licensed, and taxed… After all? We don’t want it to get “out of hand” (so to speak?)

The mere "potential of you having that "thing" in your position? Well, it's just not safe and I personally think "it should be removed" just to prevent "the possibility" that it could be used in an aggressive way? Toward another innocent potential victim? You understand don't you? And besides, you don't really "need it". It’s not “essential equipment?” So let's go? Present ARMS! Draw back STUBS!

And after all? It’s better “for the community” if you don’t have “it”, you understand, don’t you? People don’t “assault” people? It’s “the thing” you know? The thing, and therefore you may not be trusted with one. You should understand the logic of my argument, it is impossible to defeat…

It makes sense, doesn’t it? Some people hurt people with those things? And therefore, YOU should not be allowed to possess one? Make sense? No? You want to keep your thing? What the? But I thought it was the “thing?” and not the person? Wait? Now I’m confused…
post edited by robby - 2009/04/01 02:52:41

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
spacey
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 05:33:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RRabbi

Monkey23, we're Canadian... I understand the thinking behind carrying a firearm, about as much as an American understands how the heck we can leave the house without locking the door behind us. ;)

"However, the rate of property crimes is lower in the U.S. than in Canada"- from wiki

If you did lock your doors then the statistics could possibly put Canada lower in property crime rate. (until robbers in Canada understand that they probably shouldn't enter a protected home)

Guitarhacker
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 08:07:48 (permalink)

Welcome to the USSA!!!

Don't you read the news? A few weeks ago, a minister in Illinois (basically a (GFZ) gun free zone state) was shot by a man as he was preaching. In Colorado last year, a man with several guns, shot up a church, then drove 70 miles to another town, and entered a church there intent on doing the same thing...this time, he picked the wrong church, and a WOMAN with a pistol stopped him dead in his tracks. A man entered a church in Texas and shoots up the TEEN department..... story after story.....

I carry my gun to church and so do a number of other people in my church. It's legally concealed, and very few people there know I have it.... but I do have it...hopefully, I will never need it.

Canada is one of the big GFZ countries.... the government has taken your right to protect yourselves away and waged a propaganda campaign that has convinced most Canadians that guns are evil. England has also stripped it's people of the right to possess a firearm. As a result, in England, KNIFE crimes are now a major problem.

Walmart.... large dark parking lot.... lots of cars for cover..... lax security..... perfect hunting ground for criminal types..... yes all those things have happened in our sweet little town.... the craziest event out there...a few years back.... a bunch of kids from 2 different high schools, all of them dressed for the prom in gowns and tuxedos, headed to the prom, decided to stop at Walmart to pick up a few last minute items...... saw each other, and decided that NOW, was the perfect time to settle that whatever the issue was,,,and pulled out their guns and started blazing away...right there in front of the store. Some went to the hospital, some went to jail, and some died.

God Bless America.

In spite of all this craziness...I still prefer this country over any other in the world.

BMI/NSAI

space_cowboy
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 09:11:26 (permalink)
Robby I am confused. Are you talking about privates when you say "it" or "thing"?" Or are you talking about guns? Or are you talking about pet gila monsters?

ORIGINAL: robby

Yeah, try that in Atlanta... It's a question of perspective. If you've never been attacked? Then you don't know what it is? However, if you've been attacked repeatedly? Then jokes about being attacked are less humorous? I’m sure you know what I mean, the soap's right over there? I just dropped it? If you wouldn't mind "picking it up?" Come on, be a sport!

And hey, we can all agree that rape is horrible? So to prevent it? Let's cut of "that which you hold near and dear" to make sure it never happens? Regardless of the fact that you personally have never committed this act? That is immaterial. What is important is that by being “the owner” of said organ, you are “potentially” an abuser with said organ, and therefore, you must be stopped before you commit a horrible injustice on another. At the very least, we need to make sure that if you keep that thing? It needs to be printed, licensed, and taxed… After all? We don’t want it to get “out of hand” (so to speak?)

The mere "potential of you having that "thing" in your position? Well, it's just not safe and I personally think "it should be removed" just to prevent "the possibility" that it could be used in an aggressive way? Toward another innocent potential victim? You understand don't you? And besides, you don't really "need it". It’s not “essential equipment?” So let's go? Present ARMS! Draw back STUBS!

And after all? It’s better “for the community” if you don’t have “it”, you understand, don’t you? People don’t “assault” people? It’s “the thing” you know? The thing, and therefore you may not be trusted with one. You should understand the logic of my argument, it is impossible to defeat…

It makes sense, doesn’t it? Some people hurt people with those things? And therefore, YOU should not be allowed to possess one? Make sense? No? You want to keep your thing? What the? But I thought it was the “thing?” and not the person? Wait? Now I’m confused…

post edited by space_cowboy - 2009/04/01 09:22:10

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 09:20:39 (permalink)
A man entered a church in Texas and shoots up the TEEN department..... story after story.....
That's the church where I go - Wedgwood Baptist in Ft. Worth, TX. it was September 1999 a gunman killed 7 people and himself and injured 7 others. most of those killed were teens - it was a concert at the church for the teens on a Wednesday night.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
space_cowboy
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 09:24:54 (permalink)
And people wonder why law abiding God fearing folks need to protect themselves! Man that is terrible Beagle. It is bad enough when you read about it on TV, but when someone you kind of know was closer to it, it brings it home more.

ORIGINAL: Beagle

A man entered a church in Texas and shoots up the TEEN department..... story after story.....
That's the church where I go - Wedgwood Baptist in Ft. Worth, TX. it was September 1999 a gunman killed 7 people and himself and injured 7 others. most of those killed were teens - it was a concert at the church for the teens on a Wednesday night.

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 09:37:18 (permalink)

"that's not an uncommon experience for many of us in the States."

Beagle, that's exactly what I was getting at...

I wonder if folks from more peaceful places can really grasp the impact it has when the events occur so close to home.

RRabbi
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 923
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 09:42:08 (permalink)

"However, the rate of property crimes is lower in the U.S. than in Canada"- from wiki

If you did lock your doors then the statistics could possibly put Canada lower in property crime rate. (until robbers in Canada understand that they probably shouldn't enter a protected home)

I was kidding about the locked door comment... It was more in referance to Michael Moore's "discovery" in Bowling for Columbine that all Canadians don't lock their doors. We lock our doors, and have a security system in place. :)

David Yanofsky
Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
spacey
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 10:14:39 (permalink)

I was kidding about the locked door comment... It was more in referance to Michael Moore's "discovery" in Bowling for Columbine that all Canadians don't lock their doors. We lock our doors, and have a security system in place. :)

When I was a kid we didn't have to lock our doors. We traveled around playing and nobody worried. Times were different.
I think it was probably that way for you as well.

The old hippy in me hates the way things have become but I've adapted due to being responsible for the safety of others as well as myself.

robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 10:24:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Robby I am confused. Are you talking about privates when you say "it" or "thing"?" Or are you talking about guns? Or are you talking about pet gila monsters?

ORIGINAL: robby

robby

LOL! I was merely attempting to stimulate thought by those who may be predisposed to expunge our second amendment rights by using an analogue. After all if you don’t “have one”, and by the way? We all carry our concealed? But if you don’t “have one”, then you can’t use it to hurt someone? So if you’re not going to have a family? Or already have yours? Then may as well insert it in to this large pencil sharpener device so that it may be removed? It’s for the public safety and it’s for the best.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
Monkey23
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 14:40:36 (permalink)

I carry my gun to church and so do a number of other people in my church. It's legally concealed, and very few people there know I have it.... but I do have it...hopefully, I will never need it.

Canada is one of the big GFZ countries.... the government has taken your right to protect yourselves away and waged a propaganda campaign that has convinced most Canadians that guns are evil. England has also stripped it's people of the right to possess a firearm. As a result, in England, KNIFE crimes are now a major problem.

In spite of all this craziness...I still prefer this country over any other in the world.

I haven't been to every country so I couldn't chime in that one but I will say that I have been to yours and there is a lot to like about it. I have family members all our the States, and love to visit. However, it just seems that the problem is bigger than the gun debate. I guess what I was saying is that maybe the issue of why you would need to carry a gun (to work and church) should be the question on everybody's minds.
post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/04/01 17:31:31
Guitarhacker
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 18:19:33 (permalink)
I guess what I was saying is that maybe the issue of why you would need to carry a gun (to work and church) should be the question on everybody's minds.

I'm sure you read the other posts here.... so basically.... for self defense and protection of my family. No place is safe today........from the schools where our children go to learn, to the stores we shop in and the resturants we eat at and even now.... the churches where we go to worship. You never know where the next "crazy" might pop up..... so I stand prepared, and pray that he never pops up near me....because I will defend my life and my family.

BMI/NSAI

Monkey23
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/01 20:00:46 (permalink)

I guess what I was saying is that maybe the issue of why you would need to carry a gun (to work and church) should be the question on everybody's minds.

I'm sure you read the other posts here.... so basically.... for self defense and protection of my family. No place is safe today........from the schools where our children go to learn, to the stores we shop in and the resturants we eat at and even now.... the churches where we go to worship. You never know where the next "crazy" might pop up..... so I stand prepared, and pray that he never pops up near me....because I will defend my life and my family.

Sorry, Guitarhacker. When I said "you" I meant "you" in the general sense, not you personally. I understand your position. I'm not sure I agree with it, but I'm not sure I disagree with it either.

I can't help worry though that if everyone walking around with guns "just in case" or "to protect themselves" will lead to some sort of self fulfilling prophesy of unnecessary violence. Obviously I hope not, but it just seems odd to me.
post edited by Monkey23 - 2009/04/01 20:08:28
jackn2mpu
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 08:20:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Monkey23

I haven't been to every country so I couldn't chime in that one but I will say that I have been to yours and there is a lot to like about it. I have family members all our the States, and love to visit. However, it just seems that the problem is bigger than the gun debate. I guess what I was saying is that maybe the issue of why you would need to carry a gun (to work and church) should be the question on everybody's minds.

Why would I NEED to carry a gun to work or place of worship?
Because security at these places is abysmal at best or even non-existent. At my last day job (where I worked for 9 years up until 2 years ago) the only security we had were two 75 to 80 year old geezers who were scared of their own shadow. They wouldn't be able to stop a fly. And because it was a Japanese company guns were as taboo as dust in a computer chip factory.

Perhaps the biggest reason to carry at these places and everywhere else is that the judicial system here in the US won't prosecute ALL laws. They just go cafeteria and pick and choose what they'll prosecute at their own leisure. If criminals knew they'd be incarcerated for every crime they committed, then we'd sure as hell have a lot less crime. And if criminals didn't know who was carrying and who wasn't then there'd be a lot less crime to begin with.

Welcome to the USSA

Jack
Qapla!
Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/04/02 08:23:13 (permalink)
I understand that in Switzerland every adult is required to own a gun and know how to use it.

They've never been in a war (though surrounded by warfaring countries) and the crime rate is very low.
post edited by Mamabear - 2009/04/02 08:24:54
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1