Lockedoh great... shootout at my fast food stop

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2009/03/30 08:03:11 (permalink)

oh great... shootout at my fast food stop

Bummer... my early-early morning fast food take out was the scene of a shootout yesterday. 1 down 4 in the hospital.

I saw the crime tape yesterday... and just caught the news this morning... I'm glad I missed the event. It took place right about 4:30a.m. which is about when I roll in for my biscuit.

I always feel a little silly when I'm watching my back in strange places in the middle of the night... now I guess I'm back to feeling paranoid while I'm watching my back.

:-(

80 Replies Related Threads

Psalmist35
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1471
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 08:12:14 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear that Mike. It's a shame when we can't venture out of the house without experiencing some sort of anxiety. I live in NC and Friday we had bad winds and a tornado touched down breifly destroying a womans home and she was tossed 100 meters. Then just yesterday, 3/29/09, some nut went on a rampage in a neighboring town killing eight at a nursing home.

I feel for you too. We should pray for the families affected by these tragedies.

Rich

George Foreman Grill; Ginsu knifes; Clapper; Home Grown Intel i7 -6700K 16G Ram; Sonar Platinum; MOTU 896HD; Tascam US2400; 

My Music
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 08:38:58 (permalink)
    "We should pray for the families affected by these tragedies."

+1

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 12:39:13 (permalink)
    We should pray for the victims of violent weather and violent people. We cannot prepare ourselves for violent weather. Not so with violent people.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 13:30:31 (permalink)
    One of the reasons I left NYC. You always had to be on the jump, which isn't bad, but does get wearing. The first week I was there we walked right past a shooting @ 105 & Broadway - could hear the shots. This was in the 80s and I was with my GF now wife. After we walked past the wreckage, I asked her what she thought. We could hear the sirens. She said, "I just wanted to keep walking." I said, "Good girl."

After 10 years we moved to dallas, got a great deal in the old money suburb, top 10 schools in the nation. Come to find out the old lady 2 doors down was murdered by a guy w/ a "broken down car." Just goes to show you. But at least I don't have to automatically scan the street when I step out of the door.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 14:02:56 (permalink)
    AT I used to feel like Houston was a safe place. Then we got NOLA's finest from Katrina. Violence has escalated dramatically. I haven't seen stats for last year but the year before - these people who account for about 3% of the population account for about 30% of the murders and even higher on other less violent crimes.

I have a 1911 with three mags and a 9mm P7 with another two in a small safe next to my bed. I am a non-violent person, but when it comes to my family, well, I intend to win.

A few years back, a guy I knew was shot down in his own driveway near the Galleria. This guy had been a factor in smuggling Jews out of Germany during WWII. He was phenominally successful and had all kinds of original art in his house - probably worth several mil. He was killed for the $20 in his wallet. Tragedy.

I have been doing biz in NYC for the last 25 years or so. 80s NYC was dangerous. I feel safer there now than at anytime in the last 25 years. Like him or not Giuliani made the city much cleaner.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 15:53:32 (permalink)
    Space,

Well, even without New Orlean's finest Dallas always ranks right up there nationally in all manner of violence. Still, after NYC I don't feel so ... exposed. At least I know if I'm going out to the less safe places and can switch to alert status.

But at night I'm wary about answering the door after the neighbor's story. I live right off of 75 Central (it the city up the middle) and we are always getting people whose cars break down (and what kind of person doesn't have a jack or tire tool in their car? The kind of person that that thinks a GM truck will fit their honda tires - it pisses me off). So, yes, I'll usually slip my beretta into the waistband before hand. But I've got a boxer - dogs are a better security system than anything electronic. The uglier, the more repect they get.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    space_cowboy
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 16:36:56 (permalink)
    AT
    You forget my friend that I used to be a rocket scientist - I worked at 75 and 635 for TI's Missile and Ordinance division for a bit. I know Dallas pretty well. And back when I had money, I used to come up to D twice a year minimum for the Dallas and the Arlington Guitar Shows.

I lived at Preston and Arapahoe when that was the end of the world up there - empty until you hit the Oklahoma border.

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:02:14 (permalink)
    "I have a 1911 with three"

Now your talking ;-)... I didn't think the H&K was big enough :-).

The news broke tonight that the person who died was a bystander... I gotta find a new biscuit.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:27:34 (permalink)
    If your state allows it...and most do... you should apply for a CCW...and use it.......if you don't have it already. You can not rely on lawenforcement to be there to protect you.

Our local Walmart has a rent-a-cop that drives around the lot with flashin lights due to the robberies, rapes, kidnappings, and shootouts in their parking lot.

Needless to say, I don't go anywhere with my 9mm. I carry it to church, to work, and to all other places that don't prohibit me from exercising my 2nd amendment right. If they have a "No CCW" sign, I don't do business with them. In NC, there is currently legislation to allow CCW in resturants that serve adult beverages with the meals. I'll be glad when it passes.

Crime and gangs are out of control in the USA..... small towns are not immune, living in the country is not safe anymore..... protect your self..... just ask yourself this question:

Would you rather have a gun and not need it...or need it and not have it?

MOST DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE: in a "gun free zone"... think about it.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/30 21:34:37

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    space_cowboy
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:43:18 (permalink)
    Wait - don't criminals have to abide by the Gun Free regulations too? I mean, if they don't, they would be criminals.

Guitarhacker
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:45:11 (permalink)
    uhhhh.... yeah!

BMI/NSAI

space_cowboy
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:46:50 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker - no chl here (keep debating it) but ready for most of what comes at me. We have the Castle Doctrine in Tex that says your car, your office and your home are all places that you can legally keep a gack.

Guitarhacker
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:56:24 (permalink)
    NC officially does not have the castle doctrine.....so using a gun for selfdefense even in my home becomes a bit more complicated. Legally I can use a gun if someone's in the process of breaking in...but not on them once they are inside, unless they are trying to do bodily harm to me or my family.

I just bought the gun regulations book for travelers and it gives all kinds of valuable info...Alaska is the most gun friendly state.

BMI/NSAI

foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 21:57:23 (permalink)
    Um... gents... this is a music related forum first and foremost. The forum description reads "Music related off topic discussion".

Please keep the gun talk out of here. Exercise your amendment rights in the appropriate place. This is not it.

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Guitarhacker
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:06:04 (permalink)
    I thought the "Coffee House" was game for all topics NOT music related.... except politics and religion.

Guns don't fit either catagory...although politicians generally don't like citizens to have guns,,,, and people who have guns and shoot them describe the actual experience of pulling the trigger as something approaching a religious experience at times.

BMI/NSAI

foxwolfen
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:27:46 (permalink)
    Coffee House
    Discussion of off-topic music related subjects. No politics. No religion. Enjoy!
    Moderators Administrators , Moderators
    Now I dunno what that means to you, but by the rules of grammar, the "topic" part would relate to those as listed on the "all forums" page, and the "off" would synch to those topics and be music related.

Now, you wanna talk about a cowboy (music) vid where he uses a classic sixshooter badly.. go for it. But leave your own guns at the door please.
    post edited by foxwolfen - 2009/03/30 22:38:45

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:30:26 (permalink)
    Italians have the same thing with cars, it's just a penis extension thing. Guess why some people insist on calling it their 'tool'.

Safety is in keeping your eyes peeled in iffy situations, at all time. No gun will save you when it's not there, or in the other guys' hands.

You can debate the issue till Doomsday, but that fact never changes, so reciting weapon specs and all essentially don't mean jack for your actual security when it comes to it.

You never get robbed on a firing range, curiously.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:35:27 (permalink)
    Can we talk about biscuits? :-)

Roflcopter
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:45:35 (permalink)
    Yes, this a waffling-only forum, sorry.

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 22:50:41 (permalink)
    "Safety is in keeping your eyes peeled in iffy situations, at all time."

I agree 101%. Personally, I don't exercise my rights as described above... but I understand why people do.

15 years ago my aunt was killed in a shopping mall parking lot in front of her kids... that's not an uncommon experience for many of us in the States. The way people react to those sorts of social pressures is their choice and luckily in most of the country we can do what we need to do to feel safe.

Re: 1911. Yes that's complete and total "boy's club talk" on my part if you had a 1911 you know all about it :-). I thought I could rib Space but now I know he's in the club :-)

best regards,
    mike

foxwolfen
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 23:24:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

Can we talk about biscuits? :-)

Other people have mentioned that they do not want to be confronted with talk about guns here, they have a valid point.

And yes, it is a religion, and the NRA the governing church, like it or not. It is also a political lobby. Therefor this thread is not appropriate on any level.

Besides, I subscribe to the New York Times. I prefer to get my news from them, not here from you.

Thanks.

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/30 23:30:56 (permalink)
    Seriously, Fox, you're my friend, but One Day I hope they will find that preaching gene, and eradicate it, like polio. Lighten up.

robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 00:05:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

"I have a 1911 with three"

Now your talking ;-)... I didn't think the H&K was big enough :-).

The news broke tonight that the person who died was a bystander... I gotta find a new biscuit.

Yeah I collect guns the way I collect instruments and plug-ins... My .45 is a Kimber stainless with the accessory rail underneath? Someone asked, why do you carry a .45?? I said, "because they don't make a .46"...

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    robby
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 00:07:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

NC officially does not have the castle doctrine.....so using a gun for selfdefense even in my home becomes a bit more complicated. Legally I can use a gun if someone's in the process of breaking in...but not on them once they are inside, unless they are trying to do bodily harm to me or my family.

I just bought the gun regulations book for travelers and it gives all kinds of valuable info...Alaska is the most gun friendly state.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6... You have to love bumper stickers.

==================

foxwolfen
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 00:26:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Seriously, Fox, you're my friend, but One Day I hope they will find that preaching gene, and eradicate it, like polio. Lighten up.

No, I am sorry. But no. There are gun forums... go there to talk about guns.

Please

Composers Forum
    robby
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 00:50:21 (permalink)
    It's a legitimate hobby. I don't hunt, and don't kill animals, but don't begrudge someone else the right to do so? I catch bugs and let them outside. But I "love" to target shoot. And I have a nice big safe, where all of my weapons are stored? So it's not like someone's going to break in and steel them and use them for ill. It's ok not to own one, and not to want to be near them, but some people feel that way about cars? "etc". Freedom is ultimately the right to be free and self determinate, and associate with like minded individuals if one chooses to do so.

Now if someone were to discuss making a political assassination for religious reasons with a gun? Well I could see that as a violation of forum policy? But hunting or target shooting are (or should be) within the bounds of propriety. Yes true, there is horrible violence perpetrated with weapons, yes, cannot argue that point. However, many horrible crimes have been stopped as a result as well? It’s a tricky subject and one bound to engender passionate opinions on either side, I would err on the side of freedom, personal responsibility, and accountability... i.e., don't do the crime if you're not ready "to fry for it", and I don't mean 20 years on death row either...
    post edited by robby - 2009/03/31 00:57:31

==================

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 01:52:27 (permalink)
    Italians have the same thing with cars, it's just a penis extension thing. Guess why some people insist on calling it their 'tool'.

Safety is in keeping your eyes peeled in iffy situations, at all time. No gun will save you when it's not there, or in the other guys' hands.

You can debate the issue till Doomsday, but that fact never changes, so reciting weapon specs and all essentially don't mean jack for your actual security when it comes to it.

You never get robbed on a firing range, curiously.
    You really don't know what you are talking about. I captured a burglar in my basement with a double barreled 20 gauge shotgun and a S&W 38 special. At the time my wife was in the house alone when I came home and saw my tools laying outside the basement window. I knew that we had a problem and I went and got my guns. I had a choice of guns. I chose the ones I did because the revolver was highly portable and concealable and the shotgun was intimidating. The man was held by me alone until the police came and arrested him. If I hadn't had the weapons and the ability to use them things could have been very different for me and most certainly my wife. I was trained in the Army and I am a combat veteran. I have held POWs in combat. I knew what I was doing.

You base your views on never ever having to defend yourself or others. If you ever do I hope you have the weapons you will need to do the job. But that is unlikely because you have already disarmed yourself. You are the prey that we who defend have to protect because you wont do it yourself.
    post edited by John - 2009/03/31 01:59:38

Best
    John
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 02:33:46 (permalink)
    Other people have mentioned that they do not want to be confronted with talk about guns here, they have a valid point.
    That must be very pleasant for them never having to confront reality. Leave it to others to protect and defend them while they turn up their collective nose to the notion of ever having to stand in front of the sheep to defend them. The police are paid to take the nasty gun out with them where ever they may go. But you citizen don't want to be confronted by the real world.

We all have a duty to defend and protect each other. That idea has served this county well through its history. Now some feel that maybe they are removed from this notion and take a pass on it. Shame on them.

Best
    John
    jackn2mpu
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2765
    RE: oh great... shootout at my fast food stop 2009/03/31 07:56:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker

If your state allows it...and most do... you should apply for a CCW...and use it.......if you don't have it already. You can not rely on law enforcement to be there to protect you.

snippage

MOST DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE: in a "gun free zone"... think about it.

Amen to both sentiments. Unfortunately, I live in one of the biggest 'gun-free' zones in the US - New Jersey. Worse yet, specifically I live in Trenton and it's a sanctuary city. Carry permits are possible, but the only way you can get one is to carry large sums of money regularly as part of your job - for us regular joe's fuhhgedaboutit! Even the paperwork process to get a FOID and purchase permit (yep, it's 2 separate processes) can and will take months.

Jack
    Qapla!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1