pro tools 9

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
krazylain
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 164
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 16:14:43 (permalink)
Other reasons why I should NOT purchase PT9? As others mentioned... . NO input monitoring

I just wanted to add that this is a very big misconception with Pro Tools that I was also guilty of.  To be quite frank, Pro Tools achieves lower latency than any of the Sonar versions I've used, from XL to Sonar Producer 3 all the way up to SP 8.5.3.  But I've always preferred Sonar, primarily because of ADC and my trusty UAD1 cards. 

Pro Tools can operate in low latency mode with input monitoring on armed tracks.  For those not familiar with PT, Input Monitoring is similar to Input Echo in Sonar to hear incoming signals with Sonar's effects while tracking.  What Pro Tools has to its advantage is its bussing architecture integrated within the program. 
You can use an Auxillary Track (like Sonar's busses) for monitoring inputs with various effects at extremely low latencies while recording dry or with effects to separate tracks (think of guitarists using Amplitude/GuitarRig or vocalist who love recording with Autotune & other effects). 

PT9 is definitely a game changer.  For instance, I know a few studios with 24/32 channel boards & outboard gear running Sonar with Motu hardware.  One guy wanted to use Pro Tools as an additional DAW, but HD was not cost effective and LE did not meet with his I/O needs.  Right now he can install Pro Tools software and use his Motu 24io & outboard gear to mix without purchasing any additional hardware.  I'm sure many others will jump at this new opportunity to be "Pro Tools-compatible".
When is the last time you heard anyone speak about being compatible with Sonar.

I am excited about both Pro Tools 9 and X1. Unfortunately, it is all about choices & $.
I always chose Producer upgrades before PTs, but this time around I'll wait until all cards are displayed for X1 on 12/08/2010 before deciding.

Intel 2.66 QuadCore, 8GB, OS 1TB, Audio 1TB 
Sonar X2a, Studio One 2.5, Reason 7, Komplete 6 
RME UFX <-> Ferrofish A16mkii, (2x) UAD Duo
www.topnotchaudio.com
SongCraft
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3902
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 16:42:53 (permalink)
Hi Krazylain

Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'm not a PT user, I don't have it and clearly I don't know enough about it, but I've most definitely seen it in action on more than several occasions in professional studios downunder.

-

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 17:05:44 (permalink)
I've never really liked ProTools, and find it remains suprisingly undeveloped in some areas, so thus have never been especially upset about it being way out of my home studio budget.

But I can use it if I have to, and I think I'll buy this just for the benefit of being able to say "yes" to any clients who ask if I will be using ProTools on their project. So that's roughly its net benefit to me; the software version will probably pay for itself quite quickly on that basis.

As someone said in another thread "ProTools isn't magical fairy land". One of the effects of this move is that a lot more people are about to find that out. Don't get me wrong, it's not rubbish or anything, of course its not. But it's really not all that special either.
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 17:17:10 (permalink)
This is big indeed. But I don't think Cakewalk will be dealt the hardest blow. I expect a lot Mac users formerly running PTLE but who've since moved to Logic to go back to ProTools.

I feel that the whole "wow, is that really Pro Tools?" thing has worn off for the most part as new entries into the home studio world are learning that there are other players on the market (particularly Logic these days). So Digi, um, AVID won't be able to lean on that anymore!

That being said I do believe that PT9 will shake up the market (and hopefully send other developers scrambling to come up with greatness).

Sven
post edited by SvenArne - 2010/11/05 17:19:50

yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 18:34:55 (permalink)

I wonder if the bundled RTAS will work in SONAR?

No, I really doubt it ! (I've been running PT LE and M-powered in conjunction with SONAR since PT version 5...)

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
yummay
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 18:40:16 (permalink)

Nah you're just fooling yourself!

You guys can switch if you want...I mean there would be substantially less complaining on the forum. But, I don't want to pay 600 dollars for a DAW which can't perform the simple task of input monitoring. Read it for yourself: http://www.avid.com/us/pr...mily/Pro-Tools/compare

Home Studio 7 can do that and it's 100 bucks...

This thread has hit full on ****.

I think this is not true. This seems to be referring to a "higher", real-time switchable, input monitoring feature found in PT HD. I can input monitor my tracks in PT M-Powered version 8 easily. Your post got me scared, though... I checked it out on AVID's forum at it looks like standard input monitoring is the same in PT 9.

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
rotaholic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 18:56:03 (permalink)
Looks like ebay is going to be flooded with alot of junk interfaces "you know the ones lol" there will be a whole lot of sales for your focusrites, presonus, rmes etc etc
yummay
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 20:04:34 (permalink)
rainmaker1011

I do not see anywhere on their web, that they have included any new plugins or soft synths in PT9. Only workflow and under-hood improvements. Well, this is what I call "a DAW update" - they have updated the DAW, the core product, basic functionalities, workflow, tools and not just everything around it... Oh well.

+ 1 on this.

As a SONAR and PRO TOOLS 8 user, I have a couple of comments to make from my experience on using both DAWs during the last 10 years.

I am also very exited about SONAR X1, but I am really more of the "under-the-hood" type of customer... and Cake did a lot of improvement like those as well: audio engine, multi-core support, external inserts, side-chaining in version 7 (FINALLY ... HURRAY), grouping got improved even if it is not quite "there" yet, and so on.

In the last years, I've mainly kept a good distance between me and most of Sonar's plugin components (Cyclone, Beatscape, the LP-64 plugin line and so on...) The real good news for me about plugins was the SONITUS line being included in SONAR. The funny thing is that I ALWAYS bought the PRODUCER edition when I upgraded...

For instance, my experience with the plugins are the following: BOOST ELEVEN always sounds fine for me in a SONAR session, but when I listen to that boosted and exported mix in SOUND FORGE, it always sounds distorted for some reason... And I have better things to do than work on figuring out WHY! On the other hand, mixes exported from PT never sounded distorted when played in other SOFTWARES (in my case, at least).

The LP EQ produces clicks and pops when manipulating parameters... URK!! When I'm sweeping a parameter, I want to hear the subtle changes it produces until I can find a "sweet spot" that I like... I DON'T want to hear anything else... sorry... just to tough to continue on mixing... for those of you who still can use it, I salute you! Your ability to focus is beyond mine, it seems.

The VC-64 channel, on a master bus, produces stange and fairly loud noises when I'm saving sessions I used it in... again, I have no time to figure out WHY is that the case on my systems. (my former DAW was a desktop designed precisely for audio, by the way...)

On the other hand, the VOCAL and PERCUSSION strips are working GREAT for me, despite their little GUI bugs! Really was surprised by those! I'm also starting to like the LP multiband compressor as well. Keep those up, Bakers!

Do not get me wrong: I LIKE Sonar... but I also love the time I can have without being force to troubleshoot different things. My experience as a user since 1997 is simply this: on any of the 3 PC systems that I had, i almost ALWAYS had more problems with SONAR than PT. Still true even with my present-day DELL STUDIO 17 laptop that gave me so much trouble since last January... and is almost getting me to buy a MAC next time (but i'll use BOOTCAMP to keep SONAR, of course...)

What kept me with Sonar is simply those: OMF, Multi-band compression (sonitus), unlimited tracks, Notation (and I am really not a big "music theory guy", but I like to use notation also...), Per-clip effects (even if I feel that most of the sessions I ever had trouble with in SONAR were sessions with a lot of Per-clip effects... compared to other sessions using only per-TRACK effects...)

Still, I LOVE the updated GUI in SONAR X1 !! But those are not the features I am looking for and in need of right now ... Brandon, Robin, Noel and everyone at CAKE please keep your good work up! I really can appreciate all the energy you're putting into SONAR, and one team has to make choices about features they develop for a particular release, but at first sight Pro-Tools 9 is really shaking my world right now...

I'm writing this to provide "customer input" to Cake, and I'm sure that the bakers will "balance" the PROS and CONS from many-many customers like me! Present times are indeed very tough on DAW manufacturers.

Cakewalk and other competitors are offering high-quality products that is having the Goliath AVID rethink its product-line to the core. They did this with very limited resources as well... and will continue to do so! I cannot wait to see future developments from Cakewalk/Roland in the next years.

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores

mikespitzer
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 300
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 20:49:11 (permalink)
Regardless of personal preferences, speaking from a business viewpoint this new PRO TOOLS 9.0 will be a major change for the industry.

As we know, SONAR may be a better system for "creating" music with MIDI instruments and other plug-ins.
Cakewalk started as a MIDI sequencer and add new capabilities over time.

But PRO TOOLS made it's mark and is primarily used in the Pro Studio world as a  Digital Multitrack Audio Recorder recording real musicians playing real instruments.
PRO TOOLS started as a pure replacement for Multitrack Tape Recorders recording audio and added new capabilites over time.

All the DAWs keep converging to more of the same type of well rounded product.

With this new PRO TOOLS 9 able to work on any hardware configuration ... this opens the door for many, many, more home and project studio people to use what is still viewed as the "industry standard" DAW system.

I use SONAR 8.0 and I personally prefer the whole interface and workflow.

But in all honesty -- How many PROs really use SONAR ?

Look at major motion picture studio soundtracks,  album releases from major artists, most TV show audio, etc.....etc.....etc....

95% of all the professional audio on albums, TV and movies today are done on PRO TOOLS.

I work with 9 other musicians long distance.
They are all PRO TOOLS users
I am the only SONAR guy.

Many people will now spend the extra $200-$300 so they can feel like they are using the real industry standard product.

You can't fight this ........  it's a smart move from AVID.

Many new people will go straight to PRO TOOLS now and not mess with REAPER, SONAR, CUBASE, STUDIO ONE, SAMPLITUDE, etc....

The next 1-3 years will prove interesting now.

I would not be surprised to see at least one DAW product totally dissapear now.

yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 21:37:07 (permalink)
Yea, no matter what the fallout (and I predict a boatload of sales for AVID) they have finally, after all these years of idiocy, made a smart move.  Kudos.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
OscarLaun
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 23:16:04 (permalink)
I think it is a very smart move by AVID. I had the opportunity to buy an HD system a couple of years ago, and what kept me from doing so was I did not like having to purchase expensive everything from Digidesign an STILL have to buy pre-amps:  it's good but not THAT good. Plus, I enjoy tinkering and I like to know everything about my system so if something goes awry, I know how to correct/ bypass/ call it a day/ whatever. So I continued building my SONAR rig. 

I did buy a playback-only Digi-Mini so I could work with PT files from other studios, but all my recording has been ported to or from SONAR, adding a little bit of time and hassle overhead. Now I will be able to work directly in PT9 with my interfaces (if it works happily with MOTU and Win7 x64), so my collaborations will be that much easier with the PT-only studios. Yay!

So with X1 looking very attractive and PT starting to play nice with hardware vendors, 2011 looks darn exciting!

Sonar Platinum Producer x64, X3 Producer, 8.5 Producer
Win10 Home Premium 64bit, 
ASUS Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 
12GB Ram, 
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT w/ 40" and 32" displays
MOTU 24I/O
http://www.soundclick.com/balsaracers
http://www.cdbaby.com/balsaracers
Anubis
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1059
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 01:16:26 (permalink)
mikespitzer

With this new PRO TOOLS 9 able to work on any hardware configuration ... this opens the door for many, many, more home and project studio people to use what is still viewed as the "industry standard" DAW system.

What this is gonna open up is the door to Pandora's box. Rife full of nightmares with configuration problems the likes of which they've never had to deal with. Just go to the forum of any other DAW and it's obvious that the vast majority of the problems have to do with hardware compatibility issues stemming from the myriad of audio interfaces, midi controllers, and, last but not least, the millions of computer configurations. That's why they're trying to cover their asses before the onslaught by saying that these devices are not officially supported. And don't forget that us home and project studio types are a barbaric lot. Not the refined elitist bunch that's been their customer base up until now. Let the debauchery commence!

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
miTunes
SongCraft
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 02:39:48 (permalink)
Anubis

mikespitzer

What this is gonna open up is the door to Pandora's box. Rife full of nightmares with configuration problems the likes of which they've never had to deal with. Just go to the forum of any other DAW and it's obvious that the vast majority of the problems have to do with hardware compatibility issues stemming from the myriad of audio interfaces, midi controllers, and, last but not least, the millions of computer configurations. That's why they're trying to cover their asses before the onslaught by saying that these devices are not officially supported. And don't forget that us home and project studio types are a barbaric lot. Not the refined elitist bunch that's been their customer base up until now. Let the debauchery commence!

Anubus:

What this is gonna open up is the door to Pandora's box

Pandora's box has been opened since the dawn of the DAW and it don't matter what DAW people are using!!

The most important step should start with the basics such as; (1): good systems components hardware and build, (2): good clean installs along with required update patches for drivers and software and (3): correct systems configurations - setups.

The basics 'the foundation' is extremely important, if the foundation isn't solid to begin with there will no doubt be issues along the way and sometimes it can be very difficult to help fellow friends because there are so many variable root causes it could be anything from one faulty lousy PC component to incorrect software setting and whatever else in between.

-

Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 05:01:02 (permalink)
I just think it is hilarious that they are acting like they are changing the game because it can use any interface and has 96 tracks and has delay compensation.

Seriously, big woop! They arent changing the game. They are finally getting their head out of their arse and lowering the heigth of their high horse and acknowledging that their limits and non innovative brainwashing "industry standard" motto is fading big time.

That being said, I do appreciate them doing what they have done! 

Run protools on my echo gina3g for file transfers to sonar!

That is nice!

I mean even play with pro tools a little since it will work with my interface of choice now. I have an m-box collecting dust here, literally.

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 06:15:33 (permalink)
i'm glad most people on here have not been Sonah fan boyz (we all use and like Sonar, given) but recognised just how potentially damaging this could be to some software producers. I'd say that Live is well placed to survive, being more loop orientated, as will Reason/Record, and Reaper will go along being the tech-minded's fave, but Sonar, Cubase and Logic are certainly in for a potential slog.
of course, we need to see some reviews on how PT9 works in reality, and certainly, the bundled content is not the best, but having the indisputed best audio engine and audio manipulation tools in the industry is gonna be very tempting, and of course, the NAME and compatability with every studio....
post edited by mgh - 2010/11/06 06:16:48

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 08:20:04 (permalink)
This is an opportunity for me to throw ProTools on my existing SONAR system. I'll get to use ProTools without having to change a single patch cord and I'll finally have some thing in common with all my colleagues with facilities in town.

I almost bought a Pro Tools license for my place last year but I was exactly the customer they just made this package for. I didn't want to downgrade to LE hardware and I didn't want to budget for HD. I have lots of existing gear that I wanted to use.

I'll no longer feel a need to wait on SONAR to seem better that ProTools in the public's eye.

I'll be nicer in the forums here... because I just will not care what Cakewalk does with SONAR anymore. I'll keep my yearly subscription up to date and use all my SONAR skills for making pop songs and fun stuff... but I'll be relieved of the desire to see SONAR developed into a full featured DAW.

I'll love SONAR for what it is... and I really enjoy the IBM PC universal access model that CAKEWALK was founded on. I admire that and will not change my preference for that type of approach to making tools available.

I'll never have to explain to my guests that I use SONAR instead of ProTools because I think it is a great program. That will be like sawing a chain off my ankle.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out is if I want to get the upgrade special at Sweetwater or simply keep it simple and get the free standing full install.

I've been so loyal to Cakewalk that I don't know much about ProTools culture. I can run the systems up in town but I don't know much about config or updates etc etc. I'm wondering if there is any downside to using the upgrade path that Sweetwater suggests.

I have to think up a good user name for the Avid forums.

best regards,
mike

yummay
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 16:03:48 (permalink)
It is still true that SONAR is a great tool for composition and music creation, but PT improved in those areas as well over the last 2 updates.

AVID is now hitting hard with an improved PT for the PRO and PRO SUMER community.  Of course, a lot of PT HD users are not that happy with the release of PT 9 (and I can understand them) but I cannot help but thinking that this release might mean MORE WORK for those high-end facilities... (Just look at all the import/export features of PT9...whew!)

I, for one, cannot afford the greatest preamps and monitors and mixing rooms as the projects I work on have little budgets! I just want to capture in a decent way a show, do some music creation in a home studio, do a little post-production, etc. I want to get an idea going and I want to deliver it to the best of my capabilities when budget is small. When budget is more substantial, I'll easily be able to take my littles ideas to studios where I can take full advantage of their gear and experience AND feel right at home because the software they use is about the same as mine...

I still love SONAR, but I think that this offer from AVID is a very important game-changer for the whole DAW business... and I think competitive products will have to work on specializing features even more in order to get attention... and get them working right on the very first version!

So... specialties VS "industry standard" ?? Ouch...

BUT... I am still keeping my eyes open on SONAR X1 and PT 9 for about 15 days... comparing... thinking...

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores

SongCraft
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 17:29:36 (permalink)
On a positive note:

PT9 should make competitors such as; SONAR, Cubase and others develop greater improvements along with greater value for features.  I think within the next year or so we may see amazing improvements in workflow and greater features.

At this point in time I've decided to hold off on upgrading, I'll wait and see how this all plays out.  I might get PT9 or I might get X1 or both, I don't know at this point in time. I'll be honest though, PT9 has caught my interest.

That said; to be fair we're yet to see the finer details on X1.  I hope Cakewalk 'continues' to clean up; bugs, workarounds, half-baked features (for example; Matrix), more easier/faster workflows and improvements on overall performance.

-

rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 17:33:47 (permalink)
SongCraft

On a positive note:

PT9 should make competitors such as; SONAR, Cubase and others develop greater improvements along with greater value for features.  I think within the next year or so we may see amazing improvements in workflow and greater features.

At this point in time I've decided to hold off on upgrading, I'll wait and see how this all plays out.  I might get PT9 or I might get X1 or both, I don't know at this point in time. I'll be honest though, PT9 has caught my interest.

That said; to be fair we're yet to see the finer details on X1.  I hope Cakewalk 'continues' to clean up; bugs, workarounds, half-baked features (for example; Matrix), more easier/faster workflows and improvements on overall performance.

-

+1

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
rainmaker1011
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 17:56:27 (permalink)
Can you imagine there would be a crossgrade option for Cubase/Logic/Live/Sonar/Reaper/... users?? I can see the Avid's e-shop servers overloaded to death

Best Regards,  
Marek

------------------------
  DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
Dimaman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/06 17:59:45 (permalink)
competition is always a good thing, I totally agree.

I had a 003 Factory bundle Console, hated it, sold it, saved up and got a V Studio 700.  For the last 2 months, I have been harping on Avid for being hardware dependent for no good reason other than to fill their pockets, and on Cakewalk and Roland for not including input to adat routing so I could use a M-Audio Lightbridge and PT M Powered. 

I like producing and tracking guitar and vocals in Sonar at home, BUT
I prefer mixing at the studio I work at with PT HD 7, an SSL 6000g and Augspurger vertical array monitors.  As much as my V Studio 700 is a beast, nothing beats HD3 with an SSL.  We are of course, comparing BMWs to Bentleys. 

2 reasons for me wanting PT.
Clients prefer it.  They have no idea what they are talking about, but they pay me, and I would like to provide them with what they want, whether it makes sense or not.
Being able to take tracks home with the iLok from work, I could do editing and rough mixes, basically prep work for our lead engineer. 

To take things one step further, AVID has also released complete "production toolkit 2" which will give you hardware independant ProTools HD features, like 196 tracks, 7.1 surround, VCA grouping and full import options, for relatively little money.  I have PT 8 LE and DV toolKit.  An upgrade will cost me 650 WITH complete production toolkit.

In any case, I was very excited to find out about X1 the other day, and equally excited that Avid is not following in the footsteps of Digidesign (yes I know they are the same, but new brand = transformation).

I think the V Studio 700 stomps on the current 003, and being able to use my V Studio 700 with the same DAW software we have at work will be a dream come true.
john5193
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/07 12:24:53 (permalink)
rotaholic

Looks like ebay is going to be flooded with alot of junk interfaces "you know the ones lol" there will be a whole lot of sales for your focusrites, presonus, rmes etc etc

Wow. What do you consider a non-junk interface. Either your grammar is very bad or you are calling professional level units from Focusrite, Presonus, and RME, junk. Care to re-phrase?

As for the PT vs. SONAR debate; My studio is buying both. Unfortunately in today's market having "eye candy" is a good way to gain clients.
rotaholic
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/07 14:06:27 (permalink)
john5193

rotaholic

Wow. What do you consider a non-junk interface. Either your grammar is very bad or you are calling professional level units from Focusrite, Presonus, and RME, junk. Care to re-phrase?

As for the PT vs. SONAR debate; My studio is buying both. Unfortunately in today's market having "eye candy" is a good way to gain clients.

Yeah that does read a bit funny, I mean that ebay will be flooded with mboxs, 001, 002 and 003s. I expect focusrite, presonus, rmes, api, ssl etc etc to sell alot of interfaces

djwayne
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2021
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/07 14:58:18 (permalink)
$599 ?? ahem.. I'll stick with Sonar Home Studio 7XL and upgrade that to X1 Essentials.
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 03:05:57 (permalink)
Please give me a good reason why I should NOT purchase PT9?

• No off-line bounce-down (only realtime)
  • No input monitoring
  • No VST support
  • x64 support still in its infancy (8.04 was a mess under x64)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 06:27:53 (permalink)
does it have groove clips?

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 09:16:31 (permalink)
does it have groove clips?

Hi Mike,

I assume you're refering more to time massaging/manipulation tools... not just the ability to drag/copy a looped section???
PT9 has Multi-track beat-detective... (which is roughly similar to Audio-Snap).

Thus far... it seems like open architecture (ASIO/CoreAudio) and PDC are the main (new) selling points.

The lack of VST support, off-line bounce-down, input monitoring, and surround (unless you purchase the Production Toolkit 2) are somewhat damping my enthusiasm.  
Also, version 8.04 was problematic with x64.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
The Maillard Reaction
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 09:46:53 (permalink)
Thanks Jim,

I use SONAR's groove clips primarily for the drag out function on home made loops. I do most of my massaging with Audio Snap, Melodyne and Wav editors.

I really don't know what's in PT these days. It has been a while for me, I can use the HD rigs in town, but I am not up to speed on the latest features, expectations, or culture.

I am buying PT9 and I am going to try to install it on that win XP 32 machine you built me so long ago. Goodness, that thing still does all I want with the exception of huge memory capability.

I will also try it on my Win7 64 general purpose laptop.

When it settles out I'll ask you for a super duper Win 64 system. :-)

I'm pretty excited because I have always been the ibmPC/SONAR black sheep down here. Two of my mentors came out of the University of Miami Pro Tools revolution and have been proponents of it from those early days. I feel lucky to have access to their insights... and so I know PT is not a panacea :-).

I love the SONAR and think Cakewalk has redefined what I consider a contemporary instrument.

The idea that my shack in forest can become a bona fide Pro Tools tracking studio for guests that want to finish on a HD rig or outboard is a huge step forward for me and my guests.

I look forward to working with PT9 and anticipate that I will be left feeling more comfortable when I visit my friends at their HD studios.

I'm sure I'll retain a preference for many things in SONAR and so plan to stay updated each and every cycle.

all the best,
mike

gordonrussell76
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1879
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 12:30:40 (permalink)
Game changing

I love Sonar and will be upgrading to X1 which I think is amazing.

However later next year I will be realizing my ambition to have a live room and ability to track full bands without having to do so mobily. I will be buying Protools9  (I already own Live, Reaper and Sonar)

Why, because apart from Logic that will give me 4 out of the 6 major DAW's which means i can work with ANYONE.

In the Uk people largely work in Cubase/Live/Logic/PT.

Dance = Live/Logic
Songwriters/Bands = PT/Cubase/Logic
HipHop = Cubase/Logic
Pop = Logic/PT

Massive generalizations, but largely accurate. So with PT and Live  i can hit 3 of those genres with something compatable and not have to fork out for an Apple, happy days.

G

yummay
Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/08 22:40:26 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry

Please give me a good reason why I should NOT purchase PT9?

• No off-line bounce-down (only realtime)
  • No input monitoring
  • No VST support
  • x64 support still in its infancy (8.04 was a mess under x64)

You're wrong on only one element in your list here: INPUT MONITORING. I have it in PT MP8 and it is still around in PT 9. It is the advance input-switching mode in HD that is not included (whatever that is...) LOL.

All other thing you mentionned is correct.

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1