pro tools 9

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mgh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8594
2010/11/04 20:04:36 (permalink)

pro tools 9

well, i'm shocked. a software-only version of PT, includes ADC, not locked to hardware (though needs an i-Lok) and at a more reasonable price than many expected (£430 street).... this could be the death-knell of CW and other DAWs...i'll not be changing but given their monopoly in the studio, almost no point home users not starting with this...yikes...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd

66 Replies Related Threads

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/04 21:08:06 (permalink)
    I watched and read up about PT9, this appears to be a big step forward, this is something a lot of users were hoping for ~ for a long, long time.

Cons:  Required iLok.

Top New Features;

. A
    utomatic Delay Compensation.

. 96 Tracks (that's more than enough for most users) but of course it's expandable via expansion pack which will then allow up to 265 tracks.

. Compatible with ANY audio interface and being able to run on a mere laptop with it's internal built-in audio and still get low latency (with the new; ADC) wow this is perfect for anyone on the go. This is 'true' portability, just grab the laptop and catch that flight!

. Enhanced Importing/Exporting perfect for collaboration

. Enhanced Video Support and Workflow

. Improved Stability - Apparently PT9 is so Rock Solid it will run on a cheap off the shelf PC or Mac without the need for additional external audio interface and considering what's included such as; full featured Elastic Audio, Beat Detective and Tons of Plugins it's a wonder anyone would need much else especially when getting ideas down on the fly whilst your on that flight!

Please give me a good reason why I should NOT purchase PT9?

-

haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/04 23:11:14 (permalink)
    iLok!

Jim
    SongCraft
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 00:25:44 (permalink)
    haydn12

iLok!

Jim

SongCraft

Cons:  Required iLok.

I've mentioned the iLok already!   Anything else?

. Price for PT9 is $599 (11/2010) seems a bit rich, and more so for the expansion pack.

-

kson
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 540
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 00:59:45 (permalink)
    RTAS/TDM plugs are more expensive.
    SongCraft
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 01:19:51 (permalink)
    kson

RTAS/TDM plugs are more expensive.

Agree!

There are options....

FXpansion ~ VST to RTAS  Adapter.  $99.(USD)
    From what I've read it works well but not with all VST plugins. {uh oh}

Anyway, all the plugins I use can 'also' be installed as RTAS and AU formats and works great in PT according to what users have said on the PT forum.

Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 03:17:29 (permalink)
    SongCraft

. Compatible with ANY audio interface and being able to run on a mere laptop with it's internal built-in audio and still get low latency (with the new; ADC) wow this is perfect for anyone on the go. This is 'true' portability, just grab the laptop and catch that flight!

. Improved Stability - Apparently PT9 is so Rock Solid it will run on a cheap off the shelf PC or Mac without the need for additional external audio interface and considering what's included such as; full featured Elastic Audio, Beat Detective and Tons of Plugins it's a wonder anyone would need much else especially when getting ideas down on the fly whilst your on that flight!

-

Do you really think that a company that has had zero experience with third party hardware(except M-Audio) is going to all-of-a-sudden deliver a DAW that works flawlessly with an inbuilt Realtek interface?

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 07:21:30 (permalink)
    "Do you really think that a company that has had zero experience with third party hardware(except M-Audio) is going to all-of-a-sudden deliver a DAW that works flawlessly with an inbuilt Realtek interface?"

I think the fact that they arbitrarily prevented you from using the other stuff does not preclude the reality that it is all pretty much the very same technology. I imagine that the evolution of the product in this regard is a simple as unlocking the capability to talk to all the sound driers on the system.

I can do just about everything I need in 96 tracks :-)

I wonder how well that VST wrapper works?

best regards,
    mike

panup
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2538
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 07:52:00 (permalink)

. Price for PT9 is $599 (11/2010) seems a bit rich, and more so for the expansion pack.

It's easy to find a cheap LE.
    "Crossgrade from LE to Pro Tools 9 Just $249!"

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 10:36:11 (permalink)
    SongCraftable to run on a mere laptop with it's internal built-in audio and still get low latency (with the new; ADC)

No compensation scheme can reduce real-time latency. SONAR works fine with onboard audio, too - within the limits of the hardware and its drivers - and you can get perfectly aligned ovedubs with direct monitoring. But there's no way to eliminate input monitoring latency with compensation.
    post edited by brundlefly - 2010/11/05 10:46:25
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 11:51:29 (permalink)
    I know we are on our "Home Court" here but if you think that what Avid just announced yesterday was not extremely significant and a Game changing moment for the world of Native Daws - you are fooling yourself!

It will be a real threat to every DAW Software Manaufacturer in the business..period

Like it or not - at that price and with that functionality (although still a bit limited -No offline bounce..yet) there will be mass migration...count on it

Avid hit it out of the park..gotta give it to them

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 12:15:22 (permalink)
    I just watched the video... it didn't really say anything... and yet it was a very well made video.

Unlike some of their their competition, the Avid Pro Tools video had incorporated video clips of actual musicians playing actual musical instruments... they didn't dwell on all the free bundled "fire the band" features or how many *free* plug ins you get.

They emphasized bringing a pro feature set of audio production tools to a new price point audience.

I though the video was powerful and compelling... even if only because it was so well written, gathered, and edited. It was obviously put out by a company that is hip to what real life people are looking for.

I wonder if the bundled RTAS will work in SONAR?

BEATZM1D10T
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 12:32:14 (permalink)
    D K

I know we are on our "Home Court" here but if you think that what Avid just announced yesterday was not extremely significant and a Game changing moment for the world of Native Daws - you are fooling yourself!

It will be a real threat to every DAW Software Manaufacturer in the business..period

Like it or not - at that price and with that functionality (although still a bit limited -No offline bounce..yet) there will be mass migration...count on it

Nah you're just fooling yourself!

You guys can switch if you want...I mean there would be substantially less complaining on the forum. But, I don't want to pay 600 dollars for a DAW which can't perform the simple task of input monitoring. Read it for yourself: http://www.avid.com/us/pr...mily/Pro-Tools/compare

Home Studio 7 can do that and it's 100 bucks...

This thread has hit full on ****.

post edited by BEATZM1D10T - 2010/11/05 12:36:51
    rainmaker1011
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 652
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 12:48:25 (permalink)
    I do not see anywhere on their web, that they have included any new plugins or soft synths in PT9. Only workflow and under-hood improvements. Well, this is what I call "a DAW update" - they have updated the DAW, the core product, basic functionalities, workflow, tools and not just everything around it... Oh well.

Best Regards,  
    Marek

------------------------
      DAW: Sonar Platinum 64bit PE//C2D@3,0GHz//6GB 800MHz RAM//LCD 24'' Samsung //Focusrite Scarlett 8i6//Windows 10 Professional 64bit//Toontrack SD 2.4 x64//NI Scarbee Vintage Keys//NI Alicia's Keys//112db Redline Reverb//Voxengo plugins//EWQL Composer Cloud
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 12:50:37 (permalink)
    Can you use Kontakt in it?

Moseph
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 12:51:56 (permalink)
    D K

I'd call this an in-the-park hit...possibly a home run all-the-same.

There are 2 big things to think about here:

(01) We're assuming that PT9 won't have issues with 3rd part hardware at all.  This might not be the case.  Look at the DICE II thing:  Cakewalk has been struggling with that one on some systems (including mine) since DICE II interfaces came out.  Avid/Digidesign never had to worry about that before.

(02) There won't be any "intro" product:  LE and M-Powered look like they're going away.  That leaves users with either the "big" version, or another DAW.  So a $600 price tag can easily compare to say, Sonar Producer, but there's simply nothing in the price range to compete with Sonar Home Studio.

mike_mccue

Not unless Roland/Cakewalk want to pay some big bucks for it, I'll bet.  RTAS is a pretty closed format.  FXpansion actually has discussion about it, since they make plugin wrappers:

http://www.fxpansion.com/...page=15&tab=64#168

That being said, if these native plugins are anything like what Digidesign used to hand out back in Pro Tools 6-7, I'm not worried about it.  Those were perfectly functional, but they wouldn't blow you away.

BEATZM1D10T

You guys can switch if you want...I mean there would be substantially less complaining on the forum. But, I don't want to pay 600 dollars for a DAW which can't perform the simple task of input monitoring. Read it for yourself: http://www.avid.com/us/pr...mily/Pro-Tools/compare

No, this is definitely a game-changer.  "Pro Tools" is what people say when they mean "DAW", especially when they're first getting started in recording or don't really know what they're talking about.  Like "Kleenex" or "Band-Aid".  You generally have to explain that Sonar and Pro Tools do the same thing.  Now we have a situation where there's a somewhat affordable (though still pretty pricey) version of the software coming out that people will unwittingly ask for by name.

As for the input monitor thing, I wonder if that refers to the dedicated "Input Monitor" button on the MSR section of channels.  In PT8, I noticed it existed for |HD, but not for LE/M-Powered.  When working in M-Powered, you could still listen to yourself via "Record Enable", but the dedicated "always on" button didn't exist.  It's kind of a stupid implementation, but it's got a really shallow learning curve, especially once you know about it.

I can't imagine that Avid would put this thing out with ADC, but no Input Monitoring whatsoever, especially since their previous Native software (i.e., M-Powered) already did it.  That would render a lot of the other functionality (like 32 simultaneous I/O) nearly useless.  I suspect (and hope) that they're really talking about the dedicated button.  Otherwise you're right, suddenly you're spending $600 and not getting a feature that reduces the usability to that of Audacity.
    BEATZM1D10T
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:01:18 (permalink)
    Moseph

D K

(01) We're assuming that PT9 won't have issues with 3rd part hardware at all.  This might not be the case.  Look at the DICE II thing:  Cakewalk has been struggling with that one on some systems (including mine) since DICE II interfaces came out.  Avid/Digidesign never had to worry about that before.

(02) There won't be any "intro" product:  LE and M-Powered look like they're going away.  That leaves users with either the "big" version, or another DAW.  So a $600 price tag can easily compare to say, Sonar Producer, but there's simply nothing in the price range to compete with Sonar Home Studio.

mike_mccue

Not unless Roland/Cakewalk want to pay some big bucks for it, I'll bet.  RTAS is a pretty closed format.  FXpansion actually has discussion about it, since they make plugin wrappers:

http://www.fxpansion.com/...page=15&tab=64#168

That being said, if these native plugins are anything like what Digidesign used to hand out back in Pro Tools 6-7, I'm not worried about it.  Those were perfectly functional, but they wouldn't blow you away.

BEATZM1D10T

No, this is definitely a game-changer.  "Pro Tools" is what people say when they mean "DAW", especially when they're first getting started in recording or don't really know what they're talking about.  Like "Kleenex" or "Band-Aid".  You generally have to explain that Sonar and Pro Tools do the same thing.  Now we have a situation where there's a somewhat affordable (though still pretty pricey) version of the software coming out that people will unwittingly ask for by name.

As for the input monitor thing, I wonder if that refers to the dedicated "Input Monitor" button on the MSR section of channels.  In PT8, I noticed it existed for |HD, but not for LE/M-Powered.  When working in M-Powered, you could still listen to yourself via "Record Enable", but the dedicated "always on" button didn't exist.  It's kind of a stupid implementation, but it's got a really shallow learning curve, especially once you know about it.

I can't imagine that Avid would put this thing out with ADC, but no Input Monitoring whatsoever, especially since their previous Native software (i.e., M-Powered) already did it.  That would render a lot of the other functionality (like 32 simultaneous I/O) nearly useless.  I suspect (and hope) that they're really talking about the dedicated button.  Otherwise you're right, suddenly you're spending $600 and not getting a feature that reduces the usability to that of Audacity.

Believe what you want. Let's see if anyone can afford it with this 2nd round of quantitative easing...

Home Studio 7 has pretty much the exact same feature set for 500 dollars less money.

Oh, yeah you also need to pay extra for true surround sound.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:03:04 (permalink)
    Almost everyone who really wants to spend the $599 will have hardware monitoring...they aren't catering to the $399 smorgasbord enthusiast.

I've been thinking about the one line in the video where the Avid guy says "we just quadrupled the number of people who get to experience our work flow". That line just slides thru because the editor was so darn good at cutting the story... but that IS the line to take away from their product video.

They just quadrupled the number of people who get to experience their work flow

That is a clear vision and a clear message with a promise of mutually enjoyed success.

It seems like they timed it just right.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:04:42 (permalink)
    How or where do you buy the VST wrapper? Sweetwater?

BEATZM1D10T
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:13:58 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Almost everyone who really wants to spend the $599 will have hardware monitoring...they aren't catering to the $399 smorgasbord enthusiast.

I've been thinking about the one line in the video where the Avid guy says "we just quadrupled the number of people who get to experience our work flow". That line just slides thru because the editor was so darn good at cutting the story... but that IS the line to take away from their product video.

They just quadrupled the number of people who get to experience their work flow

That is a clear vision and a clear message with a promise of mutually enjoyed success.

It seems like they timed it just right.

h

Oh, okay!

You're right, there is never any instance where input monitoring is needed. Well, unless you're a hack.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:19:25 (permalink)
    From the AVID PT site:

"Pro Tools 9.0 Systems and Third Party Interfaces

Pro Tools 9 is the first Pro Tools release that will operate with third party audio interfaces. Although Avid will not officially qualify or support use of these interfaces, we will post helpful information and customer experiences with third party interfaces on this page as that information becomes available." 

So you "pays your money and you takes your chances."

Also, it doesn't have any 64 bit features when working in Win 7 64 bit.  It's compatible with the O/S but doesn't take advantage of the O/S features.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:45:54 (permalink)
    BEATZM1D10T

Moseph

D K

mike_mccue

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=15&tab=64#168

BEATZM1D10T

You guys can switch if you want...I mean there would be substantially less complaining on the forum. But, I don't want to pay 600 dollars for a DAW which can't perform the simple task of input monitoring. Read it for yourself: http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

Believe what you want. Let's see if anyone can afford it with this 2nd round of quantitative easing...

Home Studio 7 has pretty much the exact same feature set for 500 dollars less money.

Home Studio doesn't do surround sound either.  you have to have Sonar Studio or Producer for that.

I'm not arguing against you that HS is a better value for $100, just wanted to clear up any misconception.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    BEATZM1D10T
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:49:12 (permalink)
    Beagle

BEATZM1D10T

Moseph

D K

mike_mccue

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=15&tab=64#168

BEATZM1D10T

You guys can switch if you want...I mean there would be substantially less complaining on the forum. But, I don't want to pay 600 dollars for a DAW which can't perform the simple task of input monitoring. Read it for yourself: http://www.avid.com/us/products/family/Pro-Tools/compare

Home Studio doesn't do surround sound either.  you have to have Sonar Studio or Producer for that.

I'm not arguing against you that HS is a better value for $100, just wanted to clear up any misconception.

It's only in Producer. In X1 it looks like it will be in studio as well.

That's why I said it had most of the features. Producer is still cheaper than $600 anyways.
    Moseph
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 13:57:47 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

How or where do you buy the VST wrapper? Sweetwater?

I know you can buy it directly from FXpansion.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 14:17:55 (permalink)
    thx

Moseph
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 14:23:49 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Yeah, but hardware monitoring isn't that useful for overdubbing or large ensembles across different rooms.  Plus, from an engineer's standpoint, you really want to be able to hear what's being recorded, as opposed to what's being send to the computer (to hear if there are any problems).

Again, I suspect that they're talking about the dedicated "Input Monitor" button on the MSR panel, and that we can still listen as we go using "Record Enable" instead.

fwrend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 709
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 14:31:25 (permalink)
    Hmmm interesting - you'd have to really know what the differences would be.  HERE is a Pro Tools comparison chart.  Upgrading to the next level which would be with the "Complete Production Toolkit 2" - you are talking about a $1995 add-on.   Which would give you "Advanced Audio & Video Editing", "7.1 Surround" capability, and "Automation"?
    post edited by fwrend - 2010/11/05 14:33:09
    D K
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1237
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 14:43:24 (permalink)
    I knew when I posted that there would be reactions like BEATZM1D10T - I thought that keeping it out of the Main forum and down here in software would be better but..oh well

Yo BEATZ - Believe what you want Holmes..I never said anything about changing over to anything..read my post again..

It is significant step for Avid and it is..without doubt..GAME CHANGING.. You can hate all you want.. You can stay with Home Studio if it suites your needs - JUST LIKE I WILL STAY WITH SONAR PRODUCER UNTIL IT STOPS MEETING MY NEEDS..

The fact is that Pro Tools like it or not is the de facto studio standard - and opening it up to the world of Non-Avid hardware no matter how difficult, buggy, or dare I say smooth the transition is - it will be a force to be reckoned with..

So please , spare me the "My ball is prettier/better then your ball" commentary and the attitude about discussing and considering it  - That's what we do on messageboards... here in the software sub-forum... we discuss software developments.. I think this qualifies as a significant one - or do you not agree? No one is threating you or saying your girlfriend is ugly....

sometimes things never change around here...guess that's why I am not around all that much anymore 

Loving the look of X1 - see ya'll at upgrade time

peace

www.ateliersound.com

ADK Custom  I7-2600 K
    Win 7 64bit /8 Gig Ram/WD-Seagate Drives(x3)
    Sonar 8.5.3 (32bit)/Sonar X3b(64bit)/Pro Tools 9
    Lavry Blue/Black Lion Audio Mod Tango 24/RME Hammerfall Multiface II/UAD Duo

BEATZM1D10T
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 15:07:37 (permalink)
    D K

I knew when I posted that there would be reactions like BEATZM1D10T - I thought that keeping it out of the Main forum and down here in software would be better but..oh well

Yo BEATZ - Believe what you want Holmes..I never said anything about changing over to anything..read my post again..

It is significant step for Avid and it is..without doubt..GAME CHANGING.. You can hate all you want.. You can stay with Home Studio if it suites your needs - JUST LIKE I WILL STAY WITH SONAR PRODUCER UNTIL IT STOPS MEETING MY NEEDS..

The fact is that Pro Tools like it or not is the de facto studio standard - and opening it up to the world of Non-Avid hardware no matter how difficult, buggy, or dare I say smooth the transition is - it will be a force to be reckoned with..

So please , spare me the "My ball is prettier/better then your ball" commentary and the attitude about discussing and considering it  - That's what we do on messageboards... here in the software sub-forum... we discuss software developments.. I think this qualifies as a significant one - or do you not agree? No one is threating you or saying your girlfriend is ugly....

sometimes things never change around here...guess that's why I am not around all that much anymore 

Loving the look of X1 - see ya'll at upgrade time

peace

I don't have home studio. I was using it as a comparison to show how full on **** Avid's pricing scheme is. I use producer personally.

My girlfriend is ugly.

SongCraft
    Re:pro tools 9 2010/11/05 15:56:56 (permalink)
    Anubis

SongCraft

-

Do you really think that a company that has had zero experience with third party hardware(except M-Audio) is going to all-of-a-sudden deliver a DAW that works flawlessly with an inbuilt Realtek interface?

Who knows?

But you say... 'zero experience with third party hardware' and then you say... 'except for M-Audio'.  LOL!!  M-Audio?  who?  what?  huh?  has anyone heard of that brand?

Anyway, I'm sticking with SONAR, what about everyone here?

Hi Mike,

I agree ~ when you further explained about experience with third party hardware! And about the Video, oh it's a  whopper filled with sales gloss. 

You said: They emphasized bringing a pro feature set of audio production tools to a new price point audience.

That's a good point, if we look at the specs (what's included) there is not much change compared to PT8 and if users want the 'real' productions tools?  be prepared to spend extra on the expansion packs.  My first though was; this is getting a bit too rich... $459 for the Instrument Pack, and more than double that for the Producers Pack.  I mean for $599 (PT9) they could have at least bundled in some of that Instrument and Producer Pack.  From $249 to $599 (more than double the price) for what?... ADC and double the track count to 96.

Other reasons why I should NOT purchase PT9?

As others mentioned...

. NO input monitoring

. And Brundlefly's post:
    No compensation scheme can reduce real-time latency. SONAR works fine with onboard audio, too - within the limits of the hardware and its drivers - and you can get perfectly aligned ovedubs with direct monitoring. But there's no way to eliminate input monitoring latency with compensation.

post edited by SongCraft - 2010/11/05 15:58:31

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1