"Why the 'beta culture' will have to change"

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
musicmanrdu
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 292
2008/11/24 23:27:19 (permalink)

"Why the 'beta culture' will have to change"

I thought this article by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes (which compliments another writer's feelings) summed up the way many of you guys felt about how Sonar 8 was "rushed" to the market. Looks like you're not alone. I'm so glad I held out for 8.02. I should be getting my copy soon.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3085

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 64-bit, MOTU Traveler, Core i7-3770,  8 GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 240 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD (OS drive), 240 GB Samsung 840 series (sample drive). Facebook

79 Replies Related Threads

bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/24 23:37:07 (permalink)
    Yep.

I've been monitoring the issues with 8 waiting to jump and 8.0 seemed not tested much at all in the real world before taking orders. There is no way some of the fixed issues would have escaped the beta testers. This was either not beta tested before release or the testers were ignored. The early adopters of 8 were doing most of the testing. The situation was similar when 7 came out but is worse this time around.

Nothing Cakewalk would say would change my mind about this.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/24 23:52:06 (permalink)

Not a very Christian comment for someone with a fish as an avatar. Maybe you should hear their side of the story.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/11/25 00:03:09

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Russell.Whaley
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2755
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/24 23:52:11 (permalink)
    Good article, and thanks for bringing it up. With Sonar, I've always been a late adopter - partly because I'm cheap, and (in the past) there have been good discounts in the 2-3 months prior to the release of a new version, but also because what I buy will be about as debugged as it can be.

But, as I read about what seems to be many issues with Sonar 8 that could have been avoided with more testing and refining... I'm really leaning toward staying put with 7PE. It does anything that I as a home-studio hobbyist might want and then some. I can't think of a good reason to spend the money right now.

In the meantime, hopefully enough folks will hold off on an upgrade and this will motivate the Bakers to tighten up the QC aspect of production.

My .02 worth.

Cheers.

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 00:43:23 (permalink)
    There are a few beta testers, and thousand of users. Things slip through because of the user set up or the way some users ... use the software that others don't. Software, hardware, they have to be put out there in the real world for all the kinks are worked out. Not an excuse, but simple fact. A company could go bankrupt trying to anticipate all the possible ways a product could crash and fixing them beforehand. The end product would never get finished.

Prehaps the most sage advice I've heard is not to finish or start a project with a .0 product. Give it a little time before you use it in a pay project, or if you do it for fun don't upgrade until you get finished with your latest.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 00:51:37 (permalink)
    Nothing new here. I doubt the failing economy is likely to improve anything in the software development cycle as the article suggests. The only lesson to be learned here is that in a rapid growth economy bad business practice drives out good business practice. Banks that took insane risks with speculative derivatives could deliver high returns so long as they could draw investmenst, conservative banks could not deliver those returns and hence could not draw investment. So to stay in business banks had to become insane. Software developers that depend on selling new units for operating cash have to rush product to market in order to draw revenue, in order to pay programmers to fix unfinished products. Making credit hard to get will only force cuts in staff and make the release of new and less complete products more necessary. Selling fewer units will only make the survival of the company less likely, not improve the quality of the product. Failure of small software companies will only produce large companies with no competition who have no need to create finished products before release because there is no alternate source for software. If sitting on a pile of cash would result in good software, Microsoft would have not have been one of the leaders in releasing unfinished software.
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 04:19:44 (permalink)
    I think in a lot of ways this is a consequence of the march of Open Source software (www.gnu.org).

Previously proprietary software was sold on 'support' and the notion that because it was paid for it was better quality. In a lot of areas (although not DAWS, yet) this is no longer the case and I truly believe that for a huge number of 'normal' computer users they would lose nothing and even find advantages in migrating to GNU/Linux for their day to day computing needs.

So budgets are being squeezed and software writers need to get their costs down, I can imagine them looking over to some of the big Open Source projects with their public bug trackers and committed communities supporting the quality and direction of the application and then looking at their own QC budget and realising that it's relatively small and getting smaller.

I for one have got very used to this way of working, if something doesn't work on my desktop I can hit the bugtracker see if it's a known issue, if not I can report it and track what is being done to resolve the issue. I'm not an IT / Computer expert by any stretch this stuff is just not difficult! And I have no issue with making the report etc because the software is partly mine (as opposed to just being licensed to me) because of the freedoms afforded me by the GNU.

Yes the bakers are very responsive and they come on the boards to show willing, but they don't fix all the bugs in each version before bringing out the next one. When I asked if one of my S8 bugs was going to be fixed I was told 'it will most likely be addressed in the next update/release' I will be pretty upset if I have to wait a year and pay another £100 for something that worked previously and now doesn't. Feels a little too much like being held to ransome!

I think also the notion of not starting with a .0 version is coming (in part) from Open Source where public alpha's and the ability to track the development version mean there's a lot of people using explictly unfinished software, but then you could also look at something like Debian Stable which is only ever released when it is ready and this means that it can only have a certain (small) number of particular types of bug. I'd have no qualms installing Debian Stable the day it was released and expecting to work as advertised.

Advance apologies to the fellow forumites who I know don't like my views on Open Source, as ever, I'm not trying to be provocative I just think it's an interesting perspective. The growing power of Open Source apps set against the coming recession looks like there could be a real 'game change' on the cards over the next 5 years.

Cheers
    Child
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 06:19:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: daveny5

Not a very Christian comment for someone with a fish as an avatar. Maybe you should hear their side of the story.

This has nothing to do with Christianity---Cakewalk is a commercial company- their job is to provide reliable products.

I can't understand this CW fanboy stuff at all----I wish people would save their loyalty for things that matter---family, friends--------Personally I despise this whole culture of corporate loyalty---they are there to provide what you pay for---nothing more nothing less

macsmusic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 06:47:35 (permalink)
    Quote;-"This has nothing to do with Christianity---Cakewalk is a commercial company- their job is to provide reliable products.
    I can't understand this CW fanboy stuff at all----I wish people would save their loyalty for things that matter---family, friends--------Personally I despise this whole culture of corporate loyalty---they are there to provide what you pay for---nothing more nothing less"

+1000. well said mate, could'nt agree more!
    post edited by macsmusic - 2008/11/25 06:48:33
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 06:49:22 (permalink)
    Personally I despise this whole culture of corporate loyalty---they are there to provide what you pay for---nothing more nothing less

I can see where you are coming from, but for me it is the little extras that make the difference, because Cakewalk staff come and participate in this forum, IMO it feels like that although Cakewalk is run as a commercial operation, it seems that they care about the product within those confines.

Cakewalk are not my family or close friends, but it feels like they are people I would like. That to me is worth something
    R!Soc
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 07:46:18 (permalink)
    Well,

You can have it fast,
    You can have it bug free,
    Or, you can have it inexpensive.

Pick any two.

For everyone who b!tches about the bugs, I doubt you'd be willing to pay the price of bug free software in a timely manner.
    artsoul
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 08:35:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: R!Soc

Well,

You can have it fast,

Pick any two.

For everyone who b!tches about the bugs, I doubt you'd be willing to pay the price of bug free software in a timely manner.

Bug free bug free bug free

I would be willing to pay more for a program that was stable--- I am a professional and have no issue with paying a professional price.

I'm happy to use stuff like brian moore guitars, mesa amps, lexicon revebs etc. I never have a problem with this stuff--I would like the same sense of reliability from CW
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 08:50:59 (permalink)
    Not a very Christian comment for someone with a fish as an avatar.
    Not a nice way to dismiss someone's frustration and pretty much a cheap shot in my book. I remind you that at times Peter got a little out of sorts himself.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2008/11/25 08:53:25

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 09:08:10 (permalink)
    I can totally understand everyone's arguments in this one....honest I can. Though I wouldn't consider myself a "fan boy", I would consider myself loyal to the company. That said, I'd be willing to wait extra time for a release that is as bug free as possible and I'd be willing to spend a little more for it. Let's all be realistic for one second....just one. LOL!! There are so many configurations, so many different systems, hardware etc...this to me, is impossible to test in 1 years time. Seriously! They either need more beta testers, or more time and more beta testers....those are the only altenatives really.

Now, playing on the other argumentive side of the fence, I find it extremely unprofessional that 2 versions of Sonar 8 were completely unusable for me. This is unacceptable, period. Those of you that didn't experience the 5 second pause or the other issues some of us experienced, I'm truly happy you didn't have to deal with that. The majority of us want to puchase something, and use it that day without a hitch. Now, maybe this is why our upgrade prices are so cheap? Ever think that may be the reason? To me, S8 (no matter what went on in the internal creation of it) is still a modded version of 7 for me other than 4-5 options. For how "I" particularly use Sonar, this is how I feel. For those of you that use it differently than I do, I'm sure you can list 10 new features or more. But for me, I could live without it really and this to me is important as to whether I upgrade something or not.

If I would have known ahead of time that there would be no real difference in 8 to 7, I wouldn't have spent the upgrade price to get a version of Sonar that was basically a modded version of 7 that didn't even work right for me until 8.02. That sounds harsh, and I can hear Noel gritting his teeth if he's reading this...but this is how *this* Sonar user feels. S5-7 worked fine for me (other than 7 still gives me errors recording V Drums) to where I've always gotten my work done. The enhancements made from 5-8 in my humble opinion, didn't merit $180 a year per upgrade. Seriously. Sure there were some cool options implemented, but if you're me, was it worth nearly $600 to me to purchase versions 6, 7 and 8? Were those additional options really that necessary to where if you took S6-8 away from me that I'd be upset that I'd be stuck with 5? Not one bit really. My point in all this is, it really depends how we as individuals use this product. There are probably 300 Sonar capabilities in the program that I do not use. Yet, I can still get my work done and at the end of the day, this is all that matters to me. If we can't get our work done because of issues, it matters not how many cool options or softsynths or awesome new implementations are there. This is where this whole topic in my opion, becomes entirely subjective, ya know?

Though I'm playing a little Devils advocate here, I see this to probably be true within most of us. We love the product or we wouldn't be here using it and talking about it on a daily basis. We know it's one of the best programs ever made for recording, and we know that deep down inside, no matter what we say about the Bakers that frequent this forum, they really do care if we are having issues. I sincerely believe these guys go home with headaches every night trying to please us and some of what we see is probably not upto them. They feel our pain, I can just tell. This also may be why we don't see them getting involved much. Why defend something if they are truly feeling the way we are? They are human too, ya know? Granted, sometimes we go a bit nuts with our posts due to frustration. I'm as guilty of that as the next person. We want what we paid for to work, and we don't really care what it takes to make it work, as long as we feel we got what we paid for. But...knowing what I know now with all the differrent possibilities a program like this can bring on, I've learned to be a bit more patient because as I've said in the past, go browse the other forums of our competitors. You'll see how many unanswered posts there are and how the tone of their forums are much different than ours. If another Sonar user can't get you a work-around or a possible fix on this forum, you either have a legit issue, or you have no business using the software. That's how I see it. :) I'll take my chances on Sonar and continue to lean on you guys for support and work-arounds. I just hope the Cake dudes use this S8 experience to make some changes for the future because parts of this release were definitely not handled right. Just my 0.2 though. :)

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    arkiruthis
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 09:27:43 (permalink)
    The sense I get with Sonar (and indeed any major software package) is that each version increases the code base by a remarkable amount. As already stated, the developers are human and doubtless have to wade through hundreds of thousands of lines of code to add in new features, streamline the audio engine, support various formats etc. Perhaps Cakewalk have found that the relationship between yearly releases and robust coding are becoming increasingly distant. There is a balance between selling copies, paying wages and and working hard to fix bugs and implement features. In some ways, releasing a newer/better version in a similar timeline is an increasingly complicated and frustrating thing to do. I believe, faced with similar problems, Newtek hired a new team and basically had to rewrite whole areas of Lightwave3D because it would've been too frustrating for the developers to work with the existing base code. If you want robustness you may have to be prepared for 2-year gaps between versions.

post edited by arkiruthis - 2008/11/25 09:29:24
    R!Soc
    • Total Posts : 660
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 09:28:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: artsoul

I would be willing to pay more for a program that was stable--- I am a professional and have no issue with paying a professional price.

I'm happy to use stuff like brian moore guitars, mesa amps, lexicon revebs etc. I never have a problem with this stuff--I would like the same sense of reliability from CW

Cool,

Put your money where your mouth is. Hire a team of programmers, and have them develop the software you really want.

Let me know the cost when all is said and done.

Something tells me you're not really ready to spend what it would take.

Personally, I have no intention to spend anywhere near what it would take to satisfy all my needs and wants with DAW software. So, until I win the lottery, I've decided to spend a couple hundred bucks on Sonar each year. It's certainly better that any alternative I've come across.
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 09:56:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: arkiruthis

If you want robustness you may have to be prepared for 2-year gaps between versions.

Fine by me. If they split the product up in to the core program (perhaps even less than Studio edition) that only got fully solid 'when it's ready' releases then topped up their cash flow with an annual 'Producer Pack' of varyingly useful plugins and add ons that keep the punters happy that would be great. As it stands I've only been upgrading every 2 versions anyway because that's closest to the cost / value vector that I want. As Danny observed there's been something of a matter of diminishing returns as we've moved through the numbers. V1-4 all had significant and valuable updates (such as freely assignable objects etc)

For me those first 4 version were carving out their own path as to what a DAW was and how it should work. Everything could be done in the TV, the routing is awesome etcetc and then something seemed to change and it felt like things were more focused on trying to make Cubase converts feel comfortable than play to the inherent strengths of what made Sonar distinctive and brilliant in the first place (ie it was a DAW designed around how folk use computers rather than trying to 'emulate' a real hardware studio through the use of knobs and 'authentic' graphics).

Sorry this is wandering OT but it's an interesting general topic.

Cheers
    Child
    Stevvy McMantooth
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 10:03:05 (permalink)

This has nothing to do with Christianity---Cakewalk is a commercial company- their job is to provide reliable products.

I can't understand this CW fanboy stuff at all----I wish people would save their loyalty for things that matter---family, friends--------Personally I despise this whole culture of corporate loyalty---they are there to provide what you pay for---nothing more nothing less

Separation of Church and Cake

That's BullSh%T Stevvy... and you know it!

stevvy - pronounced (St) + (hěv'ē) st-heavy
    daveny5
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 10:53:18 (permalink)
    The point was that he was passing judgment without hearing both sides of the story. Perhaps the beta testers didn't do a good job identifying problems. On the other hand perhaps the beta testers found problems and were ignored. We just don't know. I've been a beta tester on other products and I find a lot of the time suggestions or findings are ignored. The problem is they keep trying to pack more and more features and functions into a product and that increases the possibility of problems at a geometric rate. The amount of testing that would have to be done to test every possible feature extensively would drive the cost of the product up beyond what customers are willing to pay. So there's a trade-off. That means the early purchasers of the products are going to essentially be "post-beta" testers.

If you are dependent on having a totally stable product to run your business, then I suggest you shouldn't purchase the .0 version of any software. There's always bugs in the initial releases. That's why its called "the bleeding edge".
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/11/25 10:59:39

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    artsoul
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:09:20 (permalink)

Cool,

Put your money where your mouth is. Hire a team of programmers, and have them develop the software you really want.

Let me know the cost when all is said and done.

Something tells me you're not really ready to spend what it would take.

Personally, I have no intention to spend anywhere near what it would take to satisfy all my needs and wants with DAW software. So, until I win the lottery, I've decided to spend a couple hundred bucks on Sonar each year. It's certainly better that any alternative I've come across.

This was un-neededly nasty and cheap---typical of this place and the attitude within it.

Yes I would pay more for a professional version of sonar, I happen to like the program and want it to work---I paid for sonar and for it to this buggy IS unprofessional.

artsoul
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:16:48 (permalink)

The point was that he was passing judgment without hearing both sides of the story. Perhaps the beta testers didn't do a good job identifying problems. On the other hand perhaps the beta testers found problems and were ignored. We just don't know. I've been a beta tester on other products and I find a lot of the time suggestions or findings are ignored. The problem is they keep trying to pack more and more features and functions into a product and that increases the possibility of problems at a geometric rate. The amount of testing that would have to be done to test every possible feature extensively would drive the cost of the product up beyond what customers are willing to pay. So there's a trade-off. That means the early purchasers of the products are going to essentially be "post-beta" testers.

If you are dependent on having a totally stable product to run your business, then I suggest you shouldn't purchase the .0 version of any software. There's always bugs in the initial releases. That's why its called "the bleeding edge".

playing the devils advocate here

Why should CW's side of the "story" be relevant at all---the OP bought the software in good faith. This isn't some altruistic arrangment we have here-they sell us the thing as working and to a lot of people it doesnt.

This reminds me of an incident last week.

I took my mum out to dinner and her fish was raw (it wasn't a sushi resteraunt), I took the meal back and complained. The manager came over and before offering any apology she defended the kitchen by stating that she had temperature tested the fish and it was 70 degrees, ie when it had left the kitchen at the "legal requirement" of 82 degrees. Her reasoning was immaterial the ****ing fish was still raw regardless of the chefs process's.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:22:47 (permalink)

Well,

You can have it fast,

Pick any two.

As a business application developer for over 30 years now, I've known this rule to be absolutely true. Management will say it's wrong and when faced with the facts that you cannot get all three, they say "Well you just don't know how to do it". Then they bring in a new project manager and the cycle starts all over again. I've seen it time and time again.

UnderTow says I'm wrong cuz he had a project (that in bitflipper's and my opinion was small in nature) that did accomplish all three. On a small enough scale this can be true. But not on the scale of a DAW (JMO).
    daveny5
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:35:29 (permalink)
    Why should CW's side of the "story" be relevant at all---the OP bought the software in good faith. This isn't some altruistic arrangment we have here-they sell us the thing as working and to a lot of people it doesnt.

There are an infinite number of possible computer hardware and software combinations and its impossible to make products that will work on every one of them. Also, some people are not as skilled or experienced with computers and software as others. Some of the so-called bugs may simply be conflicts with other drivers or hardware.

If you're dissatisfied with the product, by all means, you should return it for a refund and use something else.

Dave
    artsoul
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:44:15 (permalink)

There are an infinite number of possible computer hardware and software combinations and its impossible to make products that will work on every one of them. Also, some people are not as skilled or experienced with computers and software as others. Some of the so-called bugs may simply be conflicts with other drivers or hardware.

If you're dissatisfied with the product, by all means, you should return it for a refund and use something else.

I agree with you on some problems being user error, most are not---I have seen as lot of long term users having major issues here (which i don't recall from before).. the fact remains that the development cycle is too fast and sonar is unstable as a result (If its for PC then it should work on PC's full stop)
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 11:50:08 (permalink)
    As en ex beta tester myself. It's interesting to see both sides of the story, in saying that though. I agree with the original posters comments that some things should not have sneaked in. I wonder if it's worth being a beta Tester at all ?? There's no reward apart from a free version of the product that you're testing and the occasional Tee Shirt or Cap. You have to download over a Gb of content and Application these days a few times a month, spend at very *least* an hour a day or more testing stuff that may crash your PC and Hose your OS and generally ruin your day. Once the product is released have hundreds of Users whining about how bad the beta testing was. (I include myself in that group as well BTW). You might get some satisfaction in knowing one of your suggestions made it to the final version or you helped nail such and such a bug.

Would you want such a thankless job??

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    daveny5
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 12:08:47 (permalink)
    (If its for PC then it should work on PC's full stop)

Perhaps in a perfect world, but you know as well as I do that there is a lot of cheap junk hardware out there with lousy drivers.

Dave
    artsoul
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 12:42:02 (permalink)

(If its for PC then it should work on PC's full stop)

Perhaps in a perfect world, but you know as well as I do that there is a lot of cheap junk hardware out there with lousy drivers.

agreed but a lot of people are having trouble with high quailty setups
    JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 12:51:06 (permalink)

< Message edited by daveny5 -- 11/25/2008 12:03:09 AM >

Dude, Are you serious ????????????????????????
    plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 12:52:24 (permalink)
    I understand both sides of the argument, but , I have to say that reading about issues that were never addressed in 2 patches for ver7 still existing in ver8 does'nt exactly have me falling over myself to buy . I already ponied up for dimension ............................... Whens ver9 comming !!!

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: "Why the 'beta culture' will have to change" 2008/11/25 13:05:58 (permalink)
    Another problem with "stability" as it applies to DAWs is the unavoidable interdependency that is required to run one. Audio interface, particular MOBO, third party plugs, etc... It's a bit much to expect any one of those links in the chain to work perfectly in any and all random combinations with the others. That said, there should be some fundamental baseline of stable operation on any platform under any conditions. I think Cake is doing a fair job here. But It's also self evident that there are certain problems that are ubiquitous across all systems and should have been dealt with BEFORE releasing any "new" version. Now that Cake and Roland are so chummy perhaps we'll see a complete hardware/software solution that will actually run glitch free, 24/7. Such are the dreams of man.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1