realistic sounding midi?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
shreaded_teddy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2007/05/29 03:37:17 (permalink)

realistic sounding midi?

I’ve been playing around with different soft synths and don't really think any of them sound that realistic. Tried Garritan jazz & big band which sounds pretty good, but it's a bit of a hassle to setup. Also tried Kontakt but I don't understand what it does. What would be great is something to simply replace Microsoft GS Wavetable for midi out. Does anyone know of some good software synthesizers to do this?

48 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/05/29 06:20:20 (permalink)
    Forget buying any soft synths, you need a soundcard other than your onboard one. If your using the GS for midi out, your going to be in trouble. But a soundcard wont get you what you want. To get realistic sounds forget midi and play the real thing.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/05/29 16:31:16 (permalink)
    If you want good sounding soft synths, plan on spending $300.00 and up, for each. Also good effect plugs, eq, verb, etc, makes a world of difference.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/05/31 13:07:13 (permalink)
    Are you trying to get 'real' instruments like strings, brass?.....it's all in the editing of the MIDI, not necessarily in the sound itself.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/08 18:18:11 (permalink)
    The key to good sounding brass midi tracks is the use of CC data. Breath controllers can really add to the realism as wind instrument parts are never very stagnant. They swell, hit hard and then come way down, bend up, bend down, slowly add vibrato and various other techniques. You just can't make a brass section sound real by playing block chords on a keyboard.

One trick I've used is to play one mono track at a time and not quantize it at all. Maybe even detune the parts slightly. It's the variation in players that makes it sound like a brass section.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/08 20:16:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
    Are you trying to get 'real' instruments like strings, brass?.....it's all in the editing of the MIDI, not necessarily in the sound itself.

in my opinion, it's both but the editing is more important. i've tricked at least one person into thinking i had real bass on one of my songs (it's the edirol synth that comes with Sonar 3) but it took a lot of massaging to get there.

bass is probably the easiest to get away with in mainstream stuff because it gets buried in the mix anyway. drums are probably second, DFHS which is $300 sounds real enough to me, but again it takes some timing edits to not sound robotic. if you don't do anything interesting you can probably fake a generic distorted guitar sound but i wouldn't really try faking any guitar (i'm a guitarist though).

solo strings can get pretty convincing if you don't need too many articulations but woodwinds and brass? good luck if there's a solo. orchestra percussion, just depends on the instrument. smaller percussion stuff sure but it's harder to get a good timpani or bass drum sound - people are too used to hearing them live where they have plenty of room to develop the low frequencies.

the more instruments that get put together, the easier it is to hide the fakeness - the extra depth masks the lack of articulation and breaks between notes which is the primary fault in sample libraries that i've heard - going from one octave to another usually makes a distinct tone change which is another sampler tell...

having said all that i've heard some pretty good orchestral stuff on here that probably wouldn't have fooled me but got real close.

- jack the ex-cynic
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/10 17:33:44 (permalink)
    I think the Soft Synths sound great, and the soundcard midi's sound like
    toys.
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/06/10 17:38:45

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    Intel Extreme Edition 975BX2KR Mobo
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=678085
    http://www.myspace.com/coldsteal2
    coldsteal2
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/10 17:37:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Forget buying any soft synths, you need a soundcard other than your onboard one. If your using the GS for midi out, your going to be in trouble. But a soundcard wont get you what you want. To get realistic sounds forget midi and play the real thing.
    Cj

Yea, if soft synths or onboard midi doesnt sound realistic, then the only thing
    to do is play the real thing, or buy a $4,000 top of the line synth, or get an old
    Melotron

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600
    Intel Extreme Edition 975BX2KR Mobo
    2Gigs DDR2 667
    2 250Gig WD SATA
    E-Mu 1616M PCI
    SB X-Fi Fatality Pro
    NVidia 8800 GTS
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=678085
    http://www.myspace.com/coldsteal2
    MandolinPicker
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 06:25:56 (permalink)

it's all in the editing of the MIDI, not necessarily in the sound itself.

Any good sources on how to edit MIDI for realism? I can find a bunch on how to do MIDI recording, but nothing yet on how to nuance MIDI into sounding real.

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 07:22:22 (permalink)
    Midi editing can help, but also be a dead-giveway (pitch wheel).

I double instruments a lot, put more instruments together into 1, play with the timing/fx/eq/phasing, and create a new sound that sometimes is closer to the real than any single fx.

Humanizing algorithms help, but there's a lot of quality difference in their handling chords etc. Tempo differences help amazingly - what real song is 120 all-through?.

Creating harmonies and using fx like chorus can help 'hide' the exact tone of the instrument, so the ear is fooled more easily, and will accept the fakery.

So I tend to concentrate on the output side, in practice I hardly ever do a thing to the midi itself - if I want legato, I can do that without stretching a single midi note.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 10:03:00 (permalink)
    My advice is to back up for a minute and stop worrying about "realistic" sounding midi tracks and just focus on making "good" sounding tracks. You can spend a million dollars and endless amounts of frustration trying to achieve "realism" and you'll only ever be getting closer to an unattainable goal.

FWIW.

Cheers.
    jamesg1213
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 12:56:59 (permalink)
    stop worrying about "realistic" sounding midi tracks and just focus on making "good" sounding tracks

Good advice. Unless of course you really need orchestral instruments in your track and have no other means of obtaining them. If you're composing for film, TV or computer games for example. Then you really have to do some studying - how those instruments are played and arranged, how to place them in the stereo field, what a violin would play if a cello is playing this part, then how would a viola fit with that part etc etc. Block chords from a keyboard with a string sample just don't cut the mustard.

Then it's all down to velocities, legato, ADSR, note duration...endless.

Any good sources on how to edit MIDI for realism?

'Sound on Sound' magazine maybe? Do a search online, they publish lots of past articles there.

You'll find quite a bit of stuff if you do a search on here for posts by 'Rbowser', he doesn't come here much anymore, but he's done some amazing work with orchestrating MIDI, including a whole stage musical.

Recently I tied myself up in knots trying to add a string section to a tune which already had a very good (real) upright bass part..well it sounded appalling, so instead I looked for a subtle synth pad that would provide the same 'mood' as a string part. Sometimes you have to think laterally if you can't achieve the ideal.

Jyemz

yep
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 13:38:14 (permalink)
    ...Unless of course you really need orchestral instruments in your track and have no other means of obtaining them...instead I looked for a subtle synth pad that would provide the same 'mood' as a string part. ...

To me, you just answered your own objection perfectly.

Let me put it another way: With the possible exception of drums and piano, I have never heard a synth or sampler that could do really realistic and convincing performances of acoustic instruments across the board. Now, before someone jumps all over me to listen to some demo or a piece they made that sounds realistic, let me redirect your attention to the *across the board* part.

That means that while some people have gotten some pieces of music to sound very realistic using only virtual instruments, I don't think anyone can honestly say that they could perform any part or play any composition and have it come out just like real instruments. The recurring theme with "realistic midi" questions (and they come up all the time) is, "I got this software and the demo sounds totally real (or I made a real-sounding string section for this one song) but all my other songs sound fake. How do I make them all sound as real?" And the answer is very often: Not everything is going to come out equally realistic.

"Realistic midi" is ALL about strategizing and compromising and thinking about how things are arranged and played and what kinds of things one sampler does well vs another and so on and so forth. Not every idea that would sound great with an orchestra can be rendered as convincingly as the carefully-crafted sales demo designed to cover up the shortcomings of the software. Not everyone who has a great idea for an orchestral piece has the compositional chops to pull off a realistic arrangement. So you end up with string swells that sound realistic but then the horn falls on its face or whatever, and anyone who's tried it knows that you can have 100 "real-sounding" instruments but one fake one wrecks the whole illusion.

My point is not to discourage anyone from doing what they want but instead to suggest that maybe realistic isn't all that necessary or desirable a goal. In certain cases it may be demanded by the client but I think most scenarios of midi realism frustration come from people who are simply asking their software to do too much.

There are some very large and expensive sample libraries and virtual instruments that CAN do staggering things in terms of realism these days, but working with them is still a compromise between doing what you envision musically and what the instrument is capable of delivering realistically.

It's kind of like using special effects in the movies-- sometimes they come out awesome, but usually there's at least SOME element of aesthetic compromise, and often they look totally fake. If you can figure out a way to do it without having to resort to special effects, you can usually save yourself a whole lot of self-doubt and second-guessing and technical headaches, and you'll often produce a more creative and satisfying product than something that tries to wow the audience with trickery.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2007/06/11 13:44:23
    jamesg1213
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 14:13:09 (permalink)
    To me, you just answered your own objection perfectly

I wasn't objecting to anything Yep, what you said rang true with me which is why I offered up that little scenario of mine.

I suppose I could boil down my previous post to;

1) If you want or need realistic sounding MIDI based instruments, be prepared for some serious work.

2) If you don't really need those sounds, don't put yourself through it, use something else.

Jyemz

ParanoiA
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 14:24:02 (permalink)
    How do we know he doesn't already have good sounding tracks? How do we know he's looking for ultra realistic sound across the board? His question was actually quite simple...he's looking for a more realistic sounding synth. Period.

With all due respect, everyone's jumping all over the place with assumptions and suggestions and not really answering his question. I know I hate it when people do that to me. I ask one little question, and while folks mean well, they end up frustrating the hell out of me with suggestions and advice that wasn't asked and had little reason to assume I needed in the first place. Like I said, I know you all mean well, but sometimes experts have a tendency to misread and get into a "preacher" mode about everything.

Shreaded_Teddy

I would consider soundfonts. They are archaic at this point, but I think they sound far more realistic if you get them from the right folks. You can get them for free on the net from people daring enough to make them. You'll just need a soft synth to place them, and I can't remember the name of the one I use - I'm at work. But it was free, I think.

yep
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 14:37:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ParanoiA

...I know you all mean well, but sometimes experts have a tendency to misread and get into a "preacher" mode about everything...

And sometimes beginners want simple answers to questions that have none (e.g. "I just want to know what are the best compressor settings for rock bass?").

You're complaining about people "preaching" while at the same time preaching against the way they respond to questions on a public forum. If someone's answer "frustrates the hell out of you" then don't read it. One of the reasons that most home studios produce records that don't sound as good as commercial records is because many home recordists are not as knowledgeable about production, recording, and processing as they are about playing their instrument(s).

Just because someone asks a simple question does not mean that there is a simple and truthful answer, even if they put "period." at the end of it.

"Look, I don't want all this theory and preaching, I just want to know which is the best chord to play after A minor. Period."

If you don't want there to be any answers more complicated than naming the next chord, then don't read any answers that have words. Simple.

Cheers.
    ParanoiA
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 15:40:34 (permalink)
    You're complaining about people "preaching" while at the same time preaching against the way they respond to questions on a public forum. If someone's answer "frustrates the hell out of you" then don't read it. One of the reasons that most home studios produce records that don't sound as good as commercial records is because many home recordists are not as knowledgeable about production, recording, and processing as they are about playing their instrument(s).

No matter how well you lecture and break everything down, no one is going to record perfectly the first time in anything. So, let him ask when he gets to that point. I got this ALOT when I first started recording and asking questions and that's what I meant by it frustrated me. Everyone is thinking I'm looking to be an audio engineer, when all I asked is what's the best software sequencer. I'm getting 10 replies on how I need to understand that recording is an art and takes time to learn - when I never thought otherwise. So I get a ton of information I don't need, and very little of what I actually asked for...

I've watched you do this in several threads. You are very smart and knowledgable, and with it comes some egotistical qualities that you are either unaware of, or don't care that you possess. Smart and knowledgable people tend to ignore this when they feel their reputation is earned and should be tolerated due to their "value". They abandon the humiliatory nature of wise men.

I'm almost certainly alone on this point, but I'll stick by it. Your post was not in line with his question in the least. You made assumptions and marginalized his interest. He wants to know about realistic sounding synths...who cares why he wants them, that's his deal.

If you don't want there to be any answers more complicated than naming the next chord, then don't read any answers that have words. Simple.

That's not what I was saying in the least...not even in the same ball park. My point boils down to this: How about answer the question, instead of ASSUMING all of this peripheral crap? I mean, I can understand throwing these points in, hell I'd certainly want you to. But answer the damn question first. You didn't even answer him, you just launched into how he doesn't need to worry about it, about how his focus and interest should be somewhere else - good sound. WTF?
    yep
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 16:27:51 (permalink)
    ...answer the damn question first...

Jesus, dude. Get off your high horse. The original poster's complaint was that he couldn't find a softsynth that sounded realistic:

I’ve been playing around with different soft synths and don't really think any of them sound that realistic.

He mentioned two of the most highly-regarded instruments and cited them as being difficult to use or understand. I AGREE with his assessment-- I do not think there IS a product that is reliably easy to use and realistic. That is a totally legitimate response to this thread.

If you don't like my posts use the block button. Picking them apart for not providing opinions that you think I should have is just dumb.

Cheers.
    post edited by yep - 2007/06/11 16:32:33
    ParanoiA
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 16:37:49 (permalink)
    If you don't like my posts use the block button. Picking them apart for not providing opinions that you think I should have is just dumb.

No, I'm picking on you for being a judgmental jerk to people with a question. He didn't ask for your opinion on what he should give a **** about, he asked about a realistic soft synth. Get over yourself.
    Roflcopter
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 17:07:40 (permalink)
    Yep is totally correct in saying there is very little point in trying to find a perfect softsynth solution that works across the board.

I would even go further, and say that for a decent mix you don't even always go for the synth with the best individual sound, quite often the lesser synth has the 'leaner and meaner' version that does a far better job to stand out it a mix - solo it, and it's pathetic again.

So what is 'better' - it's survival of the 'fittest', there too.

And apart from that yep's musings are top-notch and very informative, and I think a lot of people would agree. If you don't like them, block him - your loss. Don't go sour-pussing on him and make it OUR loss, pls.

STFU already, in short.

Ognis
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 17:12:59 (permalink)
    Don't go sour-pussing on him and make it OUR loss, pls.

Opps.. was I supposed to quote that... Na.. I would of said it myself anyway...
    ParanoiA
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 17:46:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Roflcopter

Yep is totally correct in saying there is very little point in trying to find a perfect softsynth solution that works across the board.

I would even go further, and say that for a decent mix you don't even always go for the synth with the best individual sound, quite often the lesser synth has the 'leaner and meaner' version that does a far better job to stand out it a mix - solo it, and it's pathetic again.

So what is 'better' - it's survival of the 'fittest', there too.

And apart from that yep's musings are top-notch and very informative, and I think a lot of people would agree. If you don't like them, block him - your loss. Don't go sour-pussing on him and make it OUR loss, pls.

STFU already, in short.

All that would be great....if that's what the guy asked for. He didn't ask for anybody's take on "across the board realism in MIDI". Who knows why he wants it - he wants it. Big deal. I wanted realistic sounding drums. Edirol sucks for that. MS Wavetable sucks for that too - all sound fake.

If I would have listened to you guys, I would never have pursued it. Would have just given up right out of the gate - after all "millions of dollars have been spent..."

But I've got a more realistic MIDI drum sound from soundfonts - simple soundfonts. Because I didn't listen to guys like you. I didn't allow others to dismiss my focus based on their "superior" experience.

I'm just saying it doesn't matter how smart or knowledgable you are if you're not going to answer the question. Impart your knowledge, that's great, but it would serve you well, and others well, if you'd understand the difference between imparting knowledge and egotistic dismissal.

Now, flame me all you want. I'm done.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 18:57:46 (permalink)
    Can you please pass the salt. Needs garlic also.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Roflcopter
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 19:06:34 (permalink)
    Now, flame me all you want. I'm done.

I think you're set to auto-toast, there's absolutely no need.

Maybe consider 2 extremes: yep here, who you accuse of preaching, and Mr. Quick Sell, with the easy, cheap solution to everything, and for you to find out if it works at all, or not. Then I'll settle for a little preaching at times. What he says always pans out so far, so going by that - do you really believe that when someone's not selling anything but the 'truth' he must be self-aggrandizing? I think you live up to your name indeed. If his motive is so well hidden, and I'm not forced to listen to it in any way, what should I care? What should I care about your paranoid tendencies? Go fight your own ghosts, leave us out of it.

You are warning us for our own good, I take it. There lies our salvation? See how easy that **** is, preacherman?

yep
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 19:37:49 (permalink)
    ...He didn't ask for your opinion on what he should give a **** about, he asked about a realistic soft synth. Get over yourself...

And nobody asked your opinion on my reply at all, as far as I can see. But that didn't stop you from offering one when you felt you had something to contribute even though it was unasked-for.

I'm sorry you feel that your past questions were marginalized and that people were dismissive of your efforts. But that has nothing to do with me. I was 100% civil and on-topic and I think thoroughly respectful toward the original poster who was, after all, asking for help. I was also not responding to you or to anything you said or asked, I might add.

I have no idea who I'm talking to and make zero presumptions about their level of expertise or experience. When someone asks for or even discusses a topic that I think I might have something to add OR something to ask about, I say what I mean and what's on my mind as clearly as I can and make no effort to talk either down nor up to to people. On public forums I do this even if I have not been specifically asked and even if my response is only analagous or tangential to the original topic, if I in my own fallible judgement think that what I have to say might be interesting, helpful or entertaining.

Clearly you are of the opinion that I should limit my responses to directly answering questions within the terms that they were originally presented, and that to do otherwise is to presume that the original poster is ignorant. I disagree in the strongest possible terms. On a public forum I think the greatest benefit is the free and open exchange of ideas by people with different opinions, and I go out of my way to try and make my responses thorough so that even a rank beginner could follow along. You may see this as condescending, as though I am making the presumption that the original poster is the only person to whom my reply should be directed, and that any information I include is a direct and personal assesment by me of his abilities or understanding. This could not be further from the truth.

Frankly I think that your objections have more to do with your own hypersensitivity to real or imagined past slights and bad experiences than they have to do with anything I said or did. I see the role of a public forum as fundamentally different from what you are describing. I see it as a place like a bulletin board where people should be free to tack up anything on their mind and so long as it's even vaguely related, it's helpful and useful to see what different people have to say. Clearly that bothers you. Instead of trying to police what I post, I suggest you hit the little block icon under my post and you'll never have to see anything I post again.
    post edited by yep - 2007/06/11 19:47:02
    Ognis
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 20:07:14 (permalink)
    Yep, I find many of your posts very helpful. And I'm not the one asking the orignal question 99% of the time..

ParanoiA, respectfully, if I may respond. Many of us, as well as many that are not even members of this fourm, read, and search posts here. Yep's replies are very complete. He doesn't post a "yeah", or "no" reply, he posts a complete reply. And the majority of us are thankful for his insight. When someone is searching a topic, that may relate to a problem they have, or just an answer to something, if they find it, and all the replies are simple "yes" or "no" answers, they most likely will not find the answer they are looking for, because every question may vary slightly. However, since Yep is willing to go out of his way to be helpful, and complete with his replies, not only will the OP's question be answered, but so will so many others who come accross a certin thread. Although I do not agree with how you have conducted yourself in this thread, I applaud you for saying you will drop it.

To be honest, I did not want to make this reply, as it keeps it going.. But, I also didn't want to pass by, without letting Yep know, that his posts are very much apericated, and helpful. I would truly hate to loose them. He is a rare one. Like the guy that has all the answers. If you ask him about advice for dating, he may not be able to help, but ask him about audio related stuff, and I'm sure he'll step up to the plate...

So all in all, thank you Yep, for all the help you've offered.
    CJaysMusic
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 20:16:52 (permalink)
    paranoiA, If you dont like it, leave and dont come back jack, This is a public user forum. Its not here to please you and to live up to your standards. bye the way, besides from Chaz, Yep is one of the most helpfull and smartest roomies here and one of the ones that i most respect. So hit the road if you dont like what you read here and stop complaining about it.

Cj

Audio Blog
    ParanoiA
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 21:05:11 (permalink)
    You guys are still not understanding me. Yep gives full and complete answers and this is the best kind of help, in my opinion. I don't like yes or no answers. I'm not looking for a quick fix - I like a complete answer, a lecture. I've stated that before. I really appreciate the way guys like Yep go to the trouble to type all of it out, long posts with lots of information to digest. And you know it's solid and experienced and you can count on it.

I didn't see any of those qualities in basically advising someone not to worry about their question. But, I think I was a bit too quick to the draw and I apologize.

droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/11 22:28:38 (permalink)
    I think that one thing you have to keep in mind is that realistic when listened to alone isn't necessarily the same thing as realistic within the context of the song. If you listen to a synthesized instrument all alone and really tear it apart looking for variations from the real thing, you can do it pretty easily. But within the context of the tune these lackings are often not necessarily all that apparent.

And, as mentioned I think, EQ, EQ, EQ. You can do an amazing amount to get a synth instrument up to the next level by correctly EQ'ing it to fit within the overall song. Also, with all of the processing that gets done on most instruments in most pop music anyway, the real instruments don't really sound like real instruments half the time probably. The difference is that when you are listening to a song and enjoying it, you aren't trying to tear it apart and decide if an instrument sounds really, really realistic. Your brain fills that in for you and you just enjoy the song.

Pretty dang realistic drums are doable these days, if you are willing to do the work to learn how. I use BFD, but there are various others in this genre that are widely used and give good results. There are specialized piano synths that are quite realistic. There was a recent thread on this where a number were used to spit otu the same tunes, so that they could be compared. If you do a search, it should come up and you can read through that. And there are other dedicated synths such as for Hammond B3 and whatnot, that probably provide the best solution for a given instrument. But it would be pretty expensive to get all those best of breed packages.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    ParanoiA
    RE: realistic sounding midi? 2007/06/12 09:40:06 (permalink)
    EQ is good, but also dynamics processing. Anything that subtley changes the sound, I think works pretty good. This is all directed at drums, piano and bass though, I haven't done much with woodwinds or strings. With drums, even the Edirol can almost sound somewhat realistic, but I've had much better luck with soundfonts. Bass, to me, needed the most compression it seemed like.

Soundfonts are also created by nobody's like us all over the net, for free. So, you can get some unique sounds that way. I have a piano with a really weird sound, but kinda cool - hard to describe, but I don't even know where I got it nor how I could duplicate it. Although, I don't have much experience with soft synths...

Like many have said, EQ, compression, dynamics - playing around with those things can really help.

And then there's also humanizing the performance too - adjusting velocities and so forth in the staff view. Even a plastic MIDI sound can get fairly realistic if you humanize the performance good enough. I used to literally go through note by note and alter event values to get a more realistic feel and sound. This gets old fast though, which is why I sped up the acquisition of a bass guitar, and electronic drums.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1