sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 21:24:52 (permalink)
Next trick will be trying to figure out how to access all 16 patches, since it's a multi-voice synth.
I can't help you with the first part, regarding the wrapper purchase. I've already been admonished several times for 'spending other people's money' here, but I'll tell you that I've heard good things about DirectiXer. From what I hear, if a VSTi doesn't wrap with one, it's usually covered by the other.

Now on to the easy part: Firstly, you'll have to untick the Bypass Outputs in a track's right-click menu, one at a time, until all 16 outputs are active (assuming that you meant a multi-output synth). Once you've done that, save it as a basic startup track patch, to save you the trouble next time. [I thought that there were 32 MIDI channels available to the Emulator X, perhaps spread out over two ports. Extend this reply to the other port, if that's the case.]

I believe that you can also set up each sound patch with a companion MIDI channel from 1 to 16. Once you're up & running internally in the sampler's MIDI Preferences, you can create a pattern in P-Seq for each instrument. When you Send To Track, the option to choose a pattern's MIDI channel becomes active in P-Seq. Change it from Ch. (any) to Ch. 1, Ch. 2, etc. for each patch's own pattern. The result is 16 overlapped patterns, each one set to a particular sound and unique MIDI channel.

I'd keep them in this state until you're completely satisfied with the patterns, as they remain in an editable state. Once you're done with that, and have them saved, you can 'mix-down' the patterns by first creating a new file as a master pattern, and saving it to the track. Select the Ch. (any) option for that pattern, and drag and drop the individual patterns that contain MIDI channels 1-16 from the Resource Browser onto the master pattern in P-Seq. Save that master pattern when you've completed the process, and the result will be one pattern with all 16 MIDI channels on it.

You can also do this by recording into a pattern from your keyboard controller. You need the ability to change the transmission channel on your KB to any of the 16 MIDI channels, and you can play all the parts "live" into one pattern [set to Ch.(any) afterwards]. The downside of this method is that there's no way to separate the notes by MIDI channel later, and no indication of what note belongs to what MIDI channel.

I hope that this gave you a head start. I didn't do much research on the Emulator X, but the one review that I clicked on turned out to be more of a tutorial. If you're interested, click here.
Billabong
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 23:35:42 (permalink)
Cool! Thanks b rock. Yeah, your right, it does support 32 instruments. I'll take 16 for now though. :) This is further than I got with Fruityloops & Emulator X, so I'm happy. :)
There's gotta be a way to keep each instrument as it's own track, without having to overlap patterns. However, if I add another track, it loads another instance of it (EMU-X), even if I Clone it. P5 & my PC don't like that...
I'll keep plugging away at it, though, let you know how I make out.
Thanks again!
three_eyed_otter
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2642
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 23:50:33 (permalink)
hey Billabong,

i used the Directixer and it is strait up a great product. i was so dumb and anxious when i first got it the developer showed great patience w/me.
i don't use it anymore since i have the cakewalk adapter. it should also be noted that i originally bought the directixer because it was recommended
by tech support over the FXpansion adapter. Cakewalk ended up buying the FXpansion adapter.

have a good one
3Eo
rabeach
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2703
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/08 00:50:19 (permalink)
i keep both directixer and cake's (fxpansion) vsti adapters on hand same as three_eyed_otter i bought it on recommendation before cake purchased fxpansion's. originally cake did not appear to want to support vsti but all the ranting on the old forum... well they went out and acquired a wrapper. as b rock stated if one does not usually the other will. glad you got it to wrap. as an example of the opposite effect the z3ta+ synth i can't get the automation to work 100% with directxer but cake's wrapper works fine.
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/08 02:47:01 (permalink)
Bill, hasn't the front office sent you a copy of our Prime Directive? [muttering: !@#$%^s If you want anything done around here ...] I'll apologize for the staff; they're still a bit woozy from the holidays.
In Project5, each synth gets its own track: one synth = one track; one track = one synth. When you play your MIDI controller, by default all the synths that you've patched into Project5 will sound. If you only want to play one synth at a time, you can depress that synth's MIDI Routing Override button. You can also configure each synth to only respond to specific MIDI channels, specific input ports, ranges of notes, and velocities. -excerpt from Playing Synths in Real Time
Billabong
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/08 07:35:54 (permalink)
First off, just want to say it's only been like a week, and all you guys have been great. Very cool forum. Helpful, friendly, and responsive. Kudos!

3Eo & rabeach: I guess I'll end up getting the DirectieXiciezerieerXZerino just to be safe. You never know what other cool VSTs may come out in the future.

b rock: Yeah, I read about that in the manual. Remember, I'm still a recent convert from Cubase & VST-land. It will take some time to get used to customs of TwelveToneLand. :)
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1