Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
wrench45us
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4991
2005/01/03 13:07:43 (permalink)

sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say

myself included.
i went a great many days in a row not much leaving the house, playing with P5 for many unrestricted hours and now it's back to the mill -- my first day back wearing shoes all day

i actually found that despite the open schedule, i've trained myself to do music after dark (which of course is usually after work). came as a bit of a surprise. i thought i'd get so much done during the day, but i got more done during the usual hours after dinner and before bed.

35 Replies Related Threads

Billabong
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 15:43:46 (permalink)
    Yeah, work stinks. Which is why I need to become a famous rock star!! :)
    Digital Aura
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5118
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 15:47:56 (permalink)
    I found the same thing, Jan.
    I'd get the morning cleared up, put the lil guy down for a nap and sneak in to my studio to check the forums/emails/newsgroups, have lunch, spend time with the lil fella until his nap (so my wife could get some work done) then by the time dinner was through and cleaned up, kid bathed and put to bed....

AHHHH P5 time! But that turned out to be after 8:00pm! SO... my playtime never really changed all that much!

yepper...its good to be back to work!
    Digital Aura
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 15:50:10 (permalink)
    Welcome Billabong! Have you been through our initiation program yet?

(just kidding...nice to have you among us!)
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 18:37:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Digital Aura

Welcome Billabong! Have you been through our initiation program yet?

(just kidding...nice to have you among us!)

As long as it doesn't involve sheep, latex, and someone's Aunt Edna, I'm game. :)

Thanks for the welcome! Been wrapping my head around the P5, it's a trip. A long-time Cubase user, this is my first Cakewalk product. Been very happy so far!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 19:01:52 (permalink)
    As long as it doesn't involve sheep, latex, and someone's Aunt Edna
    [Gulp!] Er, ... sounds a bit like last weekend. You weren't in Miami for New Year's, were you? That is not me in the video ...

Welcome to the forum. Say, would you like to trade some tutorials for ... well, i don't know, perhaps your mini-DV archive?
    Digital Aura
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 19:34:37 (permalink)
    heheh Dont let "B" scare ya away! He's the resident guru with nothing but time and money on his hands! But he'll get ya outta any P5 pickle and is the much coveted PeeFiver Golden Cup award holder (it's not as icky as it sounds!)
    three_eyed_otter
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 22:23:02 (permalink)
    This forum is great! Anybody know where the P5 t-shirts are?

have a good one
    3Eo
    b rock
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/03 22:53:12 (permalink)
    Anybody know where the P5 t-shirts are?
    Here we go the the t-shirts again! <g> They're like the alien lifeforms: You know that they probably exist, but I've never seen one! I swear that I'm going to have a t-shirt made that says: I Wrote All These Tutorials, and I Didn't Even Get A Lousy T-Shirt!".

Cake can keep the pretty box from my v.2 upgrade, as long as they include a t-shirt. I suppose that I'll have to spring for a Cakewalk t-shirt, and paint the P5 logo on it myself ...
    PaintedBlue
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 00:21:36 (permalink)
    I have a couple of those Cakewalk shirts! They are very comfortable to wear while working on P5, but they can shrink pretty crazily the first time you wash them if you aren't careful.

But the P5 shirts... I have heard rumors that they are much more comfortable, and they NEVER shrink. I've also heard rumors that famous musicians do quality control for them (and consequently place the "Inspected By" stickers on them in the most annoying of locations after personally trying them on). Oh, and one more thing: each P5 shirt is used to shine a platinum record before being mounted on a commercially-successful artist's wall. After all, P5 actually means "Platinum 5hirt", from what I have been told.

Yes, back to work, indeed.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 00:39:03 (permalink)
    DONT GET ME STARTED ON THE P5 SHIRTS!!!!

;-)

b rock
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 06:20:39 (permalink)
    P5 actually means "Platinum 5hirt", from what I have been told.
    Whew! That dispels the rumor that had been circulating involving a handful of repetitions of a certain natural bodily function. I am ... relieved, so to speak.

The closest that I ever came to the holy grail was at the last Sonar tour stop. The rep had run out of schwag, and gave away some business cards instead with his e-mail address on them. The "winners", chosen at random, were given a choice of a Sonar t-shirt, or the elusive P5 t-shirt. I'm still kicking myself for not jumping one of the five cardholders afterwards in the parking lot. In a fair fight, I think that I could've taken the chick ...
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 07:56:44 (permalink)
    why do you think we're getting so many new members to the forum, esp from across the Atlantic where P5 is so unknown and disregarded?

follow the T-shirts. track the T-shirts and you track everything.

also note that even the available Cakewalk shirt stop at Men's Large, no XL or XXL -- obviously not geared toward Americans

Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 13:39:51 (permalink)

Thanks b rock. :)

I do have one itsy bitsy problem with P5. Should I make it a new topic, or just ask away?
    b rock
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 18:26:28 (permalink)
    Ask away, Bill; (anything for a New Yorker). It's "Open Phones Tuesday" here at the forum. We usually encourage all topics to drift as far off-topic as possible every first Tuesday of the month (and Wednesday, and Thursday, and ...). Actually, some of the best threads here took on a new life with an off-topic comment, and no one seems to mind. You'll have a difficult time reeling these folks back on topic once they get on a roll.

Unlike the Sonar forum, you won't see anyone here admonish you for taking a new direction within a thread, or scold you for a Techniques or Gear topic. There are no 'forum cops' to tell you to post compositions in the Songs forum, or that your topic belongs in the Coffeehouse. [BTW: some of us drink coladas and cafe cubano quite regularly. I mention this to clarify, in case you run across this or one of the many other running jokes in your searches.]

IOW, we're pretty laid back here as a group, and a little bit "out there". Kinda like the software itself ...
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 19:29:50 (permalink)
    OK, here goes:

If a VSTi doesn't work, are there any magic registry settings to change to try to make it work? I read somewhere something about a "static buffer" verses "variable buffer". But could not find the setting anywhere.

I have the EMU Emulator-X VSTi. Works fine in Cubase, even loads up in FruityLoops. But P5 will have none of it. Just crashes & says "streaming engine could not be initialized. Driver version mismatch". Everything (driver, software, vst) is up to date.
    I've heard no repsonse yet from the EMU camp....

I like laid-back forums. And I'm a little "out there" myself. :) I'm sure I'll fit in. Or out.
    Digital Aura
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 19:38:17 (permalink)
    Well if you think P5 lends itself to an insane assembly of forum personalities, one has to wonder about the forum for software they call "FRUITY LOOPS!"
    b rock
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 20:42:00 (permalink)
    I haven't got any registry magic for you in this case; we'll have to hope that Nick Haddad from Cakewalk jumps back in on this. After all, I'm sure that he'd have mentioned something about this, considering the EMU installation at Cakewalk HQ. When I saw nothing else about your problem, I assumed that you had worked that out.

I did research the card and included VSTis at one point, but I don't have any hands-on experience with them to draw on. All I can offer is to try Reset All on the second screen of the VST Adapter, and try again. Sometimes a weird sequential ticking and unticking of the Rescan options on that screen will get a stubborn plugin to co-operate, like Reset All, Rescan Existing Plugins, then Rescan Failed Plugins, with only one option ticked on each pass. You might check out the Properties of the Emulator after it scans; sometimes I have to disable Delay Compensation to settle Project5 down with some plugs. They'll be the same options that are available in the second screen Folder defaults, but intended for that plugin only.

I assume that you've tried a re-install of the Emu software. I wish that I could be more help with this. Let me research the error messages and see if something pops up. That's a shame; it looks like a spectacular piece of code.

BTW: DA, don't think that I haven't noticed that you're using the same animated smiley to refer to both me and Fruity Loops ...
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/04 22:29:02 (permalink)
    hey Billabong,

in the new issue of SOS they mentioned the new drivers 1.6 (the Power FX software upgrade). also, mentioned was issues w/UAD 1 card users and Fruity Loops users.
    there is a 'Extra Buffers' preference which is recommended the FL users and maybe P5ers in your case. Apparently there are problems for Sound Forge 7, Adobe Audition 1.5 and Live 3.5 which are mentioned in the updated user's manual.

HTH

have a good one
    3Eo
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/05 12:06:10 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock & 3 eyed otter (love that name!). I'll try looking for that "Extra buffer" setting.
    If not, I may try to un-install, and re-install just the 1.0 version of the VSTi. Although 1.5 adds some nice changes, I'd rather have it work in P5.

Later,
    Bill
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/05 18:01:02 (permalink)
    hey speaking of this card, compUSA has it a 100 bucks cheaper than Musiciansfriend. i've got no affiliation w/either store and actually i hate compusa but sometimes you've got to go only where the wallet will let you. so, i thought i share the deal and let you know how the savings can be passed on to you. yee-haw! .........................oh gotta go, i see my next mark, doh, i mean consumer, doh, i mean customer.

sorry for the rambling

have a good one
    3Eo
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 08:51:45 (permalink)
    Well, I emailed Cakewalk tech support, and their reply was "We have not tested that VSTi, contact EMU", which I did, but have not heard back from them (EMU).

3IO, the card at CompUSA is only the regular 1212, minus the Emulator X VSTi. Which, isn't that big of a deal it seems for P5 users. On it's own, the 1212 is a real nice card. Two analog ins, two out, coax and optical S/PDIF in & out, and you can change the optical to ADAT.
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 10:53:46 (permalink)
    the card at CompUSA is only the regular 1212, minus the Emulator X VSTi

that could explain the price diff. but they also had the 1820 which is a 100 bucks cheaper than M'sFriend but that could
    be minus the Emulator x but i don't really know, but i do hope Emu gets you squared away.

but have a good one
    3Eo
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 17:13:19 (permalink)
    Contacted EMU, they said it's a Cakewalk issue. They (EMU) claim they've successfully wrapped the VSTi and used it.
    So, another email to Cakewalk for me.
    I may try uninstalling the whole works (P5 and Emulator X), but that's as far as I'll go. I just formatted not too long aga, and I'm not doing it again.

Only other thought is I installed Project 5 to my D: drive, yet the VST's & the Cakewalk VST Adapter software live on my C drive. I installed P5 to D because there is alot more room there for samples & whatnot. I doubt (hope) that's not it, since other VSTs worked, and they are on C:\
    What about this "BufMatch.ax" file under Shared Plugins? What's that for?
    < Message edited by Billabong -- 1/6/2005 5:51:34 PM >
    three_eyed_otter
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 21:11:30 (permalink)
    I installed P5 to D because there is alot more room there for samples & whatnot.

Billabong,

you can put P5 on the C: drive and the samples on the D: drive and it will all be good. i have a C: drive parititioned into a D: drive and an actual E: drive, my programs live on the C: w/samples on D: and recoreded audio on E: and everything runs smooth. I would shoot for a reinstall of the drivers and then a install of P5 on the C: drive and leave the samples on the D: (they'll stay there anyways even after the uninstall of P5).

also, do you have the latest version of the wrapper? HTH

have a good one
    3Eo
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 21:59:58 (permalink)
    Yep, got the latest 4.4.2
    I just uninstalled & re-installed P5 to C: (where demo was originally) I think the demo may have left some stuff behind. So I downloaded DXMan for AnalogX and checked my installed DXis, and there were some duplicates (also some leftover from n-track & some "DirectShow Gateway" that's missing) So, I trudged through the registry and cleaned it up best I could. Re-installed P5, updated, and still no luck.
    Will try uninstalling Emulator X next. Which suk-diddly-ucks because of their copy protection/registration/soul-castraition riggamaroll.
    Thanks 3Eo!
    < Message edited by Billabong -- 1/6/2005 10:13:36 PM >
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/06 23:45:43 (permalink)
    Billabong i would find out what wrapper emu used to successfully wrap the vsti. if it was not the one cake owns i would bring this to cakes attention. i believe they have programmers that work on keeping the wrapper current. down side is you would have to wait and hope the next update to the wrapper would work with this vsti. the easy solution buy the wrapper that emu says they have successfully wrapped it with. they are not that expensive. also ask emu if after they successfully wrapped the vsti were they successful in inserting it into p5 as a synth. it is frustrating to go back and forth but more times than not it eventually leads to a solution. good luck.
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 09:31:35 (permalink)
    Thanks rabeach. That was something else I was going to try, another VST wrapper. It makes more sense though, to ask EMU rather then just try ones willy-nilly.
    Digital Aura
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 19:02:13 (permalink)
    LOL he said "Willy-Nilly".[sm=lol.gif]
    Billabong
    RE: sure, everybody's back at work with nothing to say 2005/01/07 20:16:43 (permalink)
    heheheh...thanks Digital Aura. :)

So, to continue with my plugin plight - I couldn't wait, and proceeded with Operation "Willy-Nilly". First on my short list, I downloaded DirectXiezer. I ran it, and it wrapped the Emulator X I'd sat 99% perfect. Fired up P5, inserted......hold breath....it works! The only bump is sometimes when I delete the track, I get a "File Not Found" error from the Emu VSTi. Could be because it's a demo, who knows?

Now, I'm at a quandry. Do I shell out the $49 for DirectXizier? I haven't found any others, so this may be the route to take.

Kinda beat, though, that I just shelled out $200 for P5, and it was supposed to include VST support (one of the main reasons I got it). I know, I know, nothing is perfect...can't guarantee it will work with every VST...etc. etc...

Next trick will be trying to figure out how to access all 16 patches, since it's a multi-voice synth. ;)

Thanks for everyone's help!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1